Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:16:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's Fave Books and Movies
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's Fave Books and Movies  (Read 4912 times)
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: March 31, 2004, 07:37:49 PM »

Sorry, I'm bored of all the Rio talk.  

This may have been done before but what are Axl's known favorite books and movies?

Movies - I know Cool Hand Luke is one.  There's a clip of it in both Civil War and Madagascar.  What are the other movie clips in Madagascar?  

I also seem to remember him liking Blade Runner and Scarface.  He also used a Blazing Saddles quote in Breakdown.  Anything else he's known to like?

Books - I don't remember too many except that he mentioned the excellent Jim Morrison biography, No One Here Gets Out Alive, by Danny Sugarman.  Too bad Sugarman didn't do such a good job on the Guns biography.  What else?
ckgent
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »

not sure about films etc, but i remember reading that rob de niro is his fav actor.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 01:25:21 PM »

bump

So noone knows any or what?  

I just remembered a De Niro movie he likes; Once Upon a Time in America.
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 01:41:17 PM »

I'd guess he at least respects "Catcher in the Rye" Wink

He signed the "OMG" press release with "Blame Canada", so I'm guessing he liked "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut."
The final speech in "Breakdown" is Cleavon Little's DJ character in "Vanishing Point", so I assume he digs that, too.

Other quotes in "Madagascar" come from "Seven", "Casualties of War", and a bunch of other sources.  They're transcribed somewhere on this site, I think.  You might want to check the Dead Horse section.

Based on Axl's written introduction to "The Language of Fear" by Del James, I would also venture to guess that he likes horror stories.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
alwaysoutparading
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 01:45:21 PM »

Anyone know where I can find Axl's intro in Language of Fear (aside from buying the book)? Is it on a website somewhere?

I remember him mentioning that Erin Everly was his favorite actress a long time ago.. lol
RZ4
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 02:39:24 PM »

There's a quote from Braveheart in Madagascar:

"All men betray, all lose heart."

"I don't want to lose heart! I want to believe..."

So, I'm assuming he's a fan of that epic masterpiece (it's actually my second favorite movie of all-time). Cool
V
Headliner

The Fountainhead

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

Sorry, I'm bored of all the Rio talk.  

This may have been done before but what are Axl's known favorite books and movies?

Movies - I know Cool Hand Luke is one.  There's a clip of it in both Civil War and Madagascar.  What are the other movie clips in Madagascar?  

I also seem to remember him liking Blade Runner and Scarface.  He also used a Blazing Saddles quote in Breakdown.  Anything else he's known to like?

Books - I don't remember too many except that he mentioned the excellent Jim Morrison biography, No One Here Gets Out Alive, by Danny Sugarman.  Too bad Sugarman didn't do such a good job on the Guns biography.  What else?

... He certainly likes 'Apocalypse Now'

It's never been mentioned, or at least not that i'm aware of in any interviews, but there is A LOT of GNR references in that movie, and GNR music took some stuff from that movie too...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 03:00:51 PM »

15 years ago, he said his favourite movie was "Once upon a time in America" and his favourite book "His way" by Katie Kelley (sp?). The book is a biography of Frank Sinatra.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
kockstar99
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 04:22:38 PM »

Do you remember when they played at the Hard Rock Hotel,(of course you do) .. They played a quote at the beginning of the show with the Soldier running through the jungle and they quoted the movie Network with the following....

You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it. Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal? That is not the case. The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back. It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity. It is ecological balance. You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast, interwoven, interacting, multivaried, multinational dominion of dollars.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 05:51:54 PM »

recording for dummies

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 03:34:28 AM »

He likes deerhunter (it's with de-nero- i'm not sure the english name) and also a movie were jack nicholson is in a mental institution. He's not actually mad but the doctors fucks so much with him, drug him and finally lobotomize him so he end up like what you imagine mentally ill pasients look like. That movie was really fucked up and hard to watch. You walked away and got a schindlers list afterhours feeling. Not the movie you want to eat popcorn to.
Does anyone knows the name of this film?
It's from TOPP (a norwegian magasine) from the early 90's

In norway it has a name of a bird and it's nest and that if you call anyone the name of that bird it meens you're a lunatic or are silly

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Guilty
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 05:13:28 AM »

He likes deerhunter (it's with de-nero- i'm not sure the english name) and also a movie were jack nicholson is in a mental institution. He's not actually mad but the doctors fucks so much with him, drug him and finally lobotomize him so he end up like what you imagine mentally ill pasients look like. That movie was really fucked up and hard to watch. You walked away and got a schindlers list afterhours feeling. Not the movie you want to eat popcorn to.
Does anyone knows the name of this film?
It's from TOPP (a norwegian magasine) from the early 90's

In norway it has a name of a bird and it's nest and that if you call anyone the name of that bird it meens you're a lunatic or are silly

The movie's called One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

FrancisFarmer
Headliner

Stay like Francis Farmer, but only her first part of life!

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 06:26:36 PM »

I thing he also likes Gary Oldman (good actor), who attented in the "Since I don?t Have You" video.

Robert DeNiro is also my favourite actor. He can play everything!!!

I?m not the star, but I want to mention

- Edward Norton (Fight Club, 25 hours, ...)
 - Mel Gibson (that one with the aliens)
 - Tom Cruise (Magnolia)
 - Meryl Streep (The Hours)

They all had great performances in lots of movies!

Francis Farmer
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 06:48:55 PM »

It's never been mentioned, or at least not that i'm aware of in any interviews, but there is A LOT of GNR references in that movie, and GNR music took some stuff from that movie too...

GNR references?? That movie was made in '79...

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 06:55:43 PM »

GNR references?? That movie was made in '79...

perhaps the poster was referring to "Charlie don't surf."

modified to clarify: but the reference would be the other way around
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 06:57:51 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Christine
Opening Act

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 09:26:41 AM »

Anyone know where I can find Axl's intro in Language of Fear (aside from buying the book)? Is it on a website somewhere?

I remember him mentioning that Erin Everly was his favorite actress a long time ago.. lol

Jarmo can you find the story without you, and intro.  I am having a hard time finding it here.  Someone did post them some time ago.  I need to read them again.  Thanks. C.

HMMMMM
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 02:14:13 PM »

recording for dummies

Man you beat me too the punch.

And at first I thought I had already written it because of the avatar. LOL!

I was going to say "How to not show up for your concert for Dummies".
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 03:10:50 PM »

There's a quote from Braveheart in Madagascar:

"All men betray, all lose heart."

"I don't want to lose heart! I want to believe..."

So, I'm assuming he's a fan of that epic masterpiece (it's actually my second favorite movie of all-time). Cool

Braveheart rocks! I cry at that movie- its soooooo beautiful!!!!!  Cry  yes

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: