Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:41:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Buckethead is a big loss for Axl
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buckethead is a big loss for Axl  (Read 13810 times)
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »

i don't see the emotion behind running scales as fast as you can. (this was the case in newgn'r, haven't listened bh's solo albums)

Is that the only way you can sum up Buck's efforts in GNR?Huh

I think that?s very untrue, it only applies partially to his solo spot during the show. The songs he played in weren?t hung up on speed at all. Furthermore, speed can be used as an element to add a dramatic edge to a song. It?s just as much of a way to express emotion as bending notes would be, or playing slow for that matter. The thing with speed however is, that most guitar players are too limited by their technique to do it tastefully. The general consensus on this board (fuelled by Mr. Slash?s blues background and the unwillingness of people to think outside the box) to claim that speed and emotion can?t go hand in hand is therefore utter BS in my honest opinion.

Outside the GNR-world of meandering pentatonic scales and endless bends, people seem to be able to grasp that concept. Just look at classical music, where people would never dare to complain to a violin player about how his speed is killing the emotion. Speed here, is just as important and elementary as everything else. Buckethead?s most famous and praised work however is the slower more ambient stuff. It?s nice of you to mention you haven?t heard his solo stuff. However it shows how little you know about the man and the potential he had for GNR regarding slower music (which most of the gunners seem to like), making the speed-criticism a little unfounded (cause speed isn?t what he is about).

Ever thought about the possibility of Axl wanting to go into a direction (music-wise) where Buck?s style could have been very suiting (being the pioneer in music Axl always was)? Most people here just seem to assume that Axl was planning on making some sort of revisited AFD and use this assumption to look at Buck?s style and conclude that he can?t possibly be the man for the job. This certainty some people seem to have in knowing what this new band was about and where it was going, with no CD to support it, just astonishes me. The only thing I know for sure is that Axl always wanted to move on with GNR? (in new musical directions) and his choice to move on with the guitarplayer of the 21st century isn't that weird in my book...

(Not all of the above was directed specifically at you makane, some of it is in response to what others were saying... you weren't the only one using the style/speed-argument)

But there's a true you can't deny - Buckethead has probably trippeled his albums salesment.

Is that so? The mere fact that you needed the word ?probably? in that so called ?truth? should tell you enough about how true it really is.

I really think that you?re overestimating the impact of those few performances he had with GNR. It?s not 1992, you know (GNR isn?t the biggest band in the world anymore)? Furthermore, you?re ignoring the fact that a big part of his long time fans saw his participation with GNR as selling out (to the point where they refused to buy any of his albums in the futur and still are doing so). The latter were the people that bought the albums. The gunners probably just downloaded his stuff, since it?s not really their kind of music (the criticism on this forum, supports that statement). So somewhere down the line I really think it didn?t do all that much for him. Even if so, what?s wrong with people wanting to move on? I strongly believe that Buck was promised a totally different GNR, then it turned out to be (releasing albums, touring). Once he came to this conclusion he decided to move on. I don?t see this as part of some big scam to raise the attention towards his solo material.

I remember that some member were saying that it won't make things slower(and it wasn't Axl), so it's not only Axl's opinion.

It was Tommy, Axl?s loyal hand puppet. The day Stinson will have an opinion that differs only slightly from Axl?s should be declared as a national day of celebration.

-PEACE-

PS:

Slipdisc:

about Your large post here

What large post? I have no large posts??? Wink hihi rofl
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:06:08 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 10:51:45 AM »

Slipdisc, when you answer orwrite something you really do it with your heart man   smoking
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 04:38:51 PM »

As long as BH is on CD ill be happy, I really dont care if he is with the live band.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 07:21:27 AM »

Dave, I completely agree. The success and media acceptance of CD hinge on Buckethead's presence on the album. Sounds crazy I know, but I think the topic of 'should BH's parts stay or go' is one of the reasons for the delay since he left. Most here dont agree with me on this, but I think Buckethead's aura is going to cast a very dark shadow over CD. People will wonder if it could've been better if he had been on the album. People will also contradict that same statement with' if this is taking it to the next level, how low was the level with BH on it?'. You will also hear comments like ' Why get rid of his work when he's one of the best guitarists around?' and 'Were you worried about BH stealing the attention from you?'. The media will continue asking these types of questions, and Buckethead's name will be mentioned in every article and review of CD. It will not be a pretty sight to watch, and constant references to Buckethead while Axl is attempting a mainstream comeback could send him right back into seclusion. I think it would be wise for Axl to at least leave BH on a few songs. Erasing all of BH's parts is going to turn out to be a HUGE mistake. I'm sure you dont believe this could happen and you think I'm crazy. But just wait and see. The second its announced, the media(and some fans) will be all over this like flies on shit.

Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 10:15:41 AM »

Slipdisc, when you answer orwrite something you really do it with your heart man? ?smoking

Thank you!! ok

It's the only way I know. I mean I'm not (and never will be) one of the most frequent posters, but when I do so, I'll try to let it count?.

Anyway, that?s a very nice thing to say and I respect you for that!! This kind of appreciation among people with different points of view is sadly enough a rarity on message boards these days...Cheers mate!

-PEACE-

PS:

BTW, here's a little something for those who still might think that Buckethead is all about shred;

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=10F6G24L99R550ZPBBBKTW4A64
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 03:04:37 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2005, 09:08:29 PM »

and I respect you for that!!

Needless to say, but I meant to say; that I have very much respect for the nice compliment, for the gesture. After I posted it, I thought that the ?for that? ?part looked a little arrogant.?Like if it would take that much kindness for me to respect people? Now, I?m not saying I?m not arrogant!!?hihi? I just wasn?t when I wrote it. Believe it or not,
I respect you all....? hihi rofl

I?m not under the impression that anybody gives a flyin' fuck about the above.

It?s just me soothing my conscience?

-PEACE- Wink
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:21:21 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 11:39:43 AM »

Cool words slipdisc  ok
madagas
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 03:17:27 PM »

Slipdisc, your point about Axl needing him for the slower stuff is right on point. Even a song and solo like Machete is perfect for newgnr. It's a huge loss. Simple as that. Most posters on this board are literally too musically immature to appreciate someone like Bucket. I really think he was the perfect accomplice for Axl's chaotic musical visions-Bucket could do anything Axl wanted. Unfortunately, in the end, Bucket wasn't willing to wait around and even more importantly, I don't think Bucket really liked the whole three guitar thing. I am sure he thought all he needed was a rhythm player, and he should handle all the lead work. Three's a crowd. Sad
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 06:06:33 PM »

I am sure he thought all he needed was a rhythm player, and he should handle all the lead work.

I beg to differ.
I believe that BH vs Robin theory is total BS.
He can handle playing with the other lead.
Robin can't play like BH. BH can't play like Robin.
Sure he must have been unsure of his being in GN'R.
I guess he wanted to play the new stuff than the old songs other people wrote.

Slipdisc, great posts. I'd try another angle about his departure.

makane
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 06:22:25 AM »

Do we have any information on this actually, Axl might have gotten a new Lead guitarist already, we just don't know it?

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
madagas
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 08:08:13 AM »

Ppbebe, if you have ever seen Bucket live outside of Gnr, either solo or with a band, you wouldn't ever say Robin can do things Bucket can't do. Bucket can do anything and EVERYTHING better than Robin on guitar-hands down, no questions ask. That doesn't mean Robin is bad, just that Bucket is on a completely higher level. I simply think Bucket got bored having to share so many parts. That is why you would see him standing around some noodling or simply doing nothing in the corner. Who knows? Just my opinion. Since Bucket will never discuss it, I doubt we'll ever know the truth on why he left. Kiss
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005, 10:49:13 AM »

I'm not talking about their skills.

I don't think anyone can exhibit a wicked balance between an eerie flavour/the feel of languor and the sloppiness like Robin does. It's dangerous.  Kiss

Couldbe you're right about BH being in boredom.
I'm sure he doesn't get bored when he plays the tunes he wrote with Robin and the other members.
Tommy has said that it's made democratically. Axl had tried to make Everyone in the band happy... Sad
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2005, 01:03:52 PM »

Slash is the biggest loss for Axl.

Cheesy
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2005, 12:44:08 PM »

BH was the best lead guitar player since Slash.  He's the only one who didn't butcher the solos... he was always bang on.
makane
Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2005, 02:02:33 PM »

I don't see anything "dangerouse" about someone screwing NR or Don't Cry solos, it just makes me sad.
Good thing about Bucket was that he had the skill to go trough Slash's solos without problems.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 02:04:12 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2005, 06:47:39 PM »

I don't see anything "dangerouse"

It's also nice to know someone sees his guitar playing "safe" as house.  yes
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 12:19:16 AM »

Maybe the biggest flaw with BH is that he don't look like he's putting much emotion in songs, if you compare his stage charisma to other great lead guitarists.

But I can't imagine him running around wild around the stage either.

About the soul, maybe I should listen to some of his solo-material to have an opinnion about that.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2005, 10:31:58 AM »

All this pining for BH - lets wait to actually hear what he did (if anything) for GNR before we ''miss'' him to much.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
MichelleAK3
Headliner

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 10:29:17 PM »

Buckethead does everything with soul, hes an incredible human being, people think oh that mask gimmick doesnt work for me, that has nothing to do with his talent and guitar playing. Having said that I think hes HOT (yes BH hes a sexy mysterious loving man), he was the sexiest man in GNR to me ....and dont give me that hubba bubba oh Axl axl ,slash slash, in old old gnr pics axl was a hanoi rocks wanna be dressing up like a david bowie reject... and slash used to paint a purple glitter strip on his cheek (like a prince groupie)before he threw it out for the top hat and afro covering his eyes, everyone has a little gimmick but in the end its the sound and performance that bring a fan back. If axl didnt sing and perform well I wouldnt be waiting so very patiently for the release of this alleged CD. BH will be performing in my town next month YOWSER !!! I cant wait.

"I hope you're proud of yourself for the times you've said 'yes,' when all it meant was extra work for you and was seemingly helpful only to somebody else."

From The World According to Mister Roger
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2005, 09:52:18 PM »

Slash is the biggest loss for Axl.

Cheesy
why dont you stop mention slash?
if you want slash in gnr... go watch some old dvds and cds

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH