Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Steven Adler: 'I'm Finally Starting To Get The Recognition That I Deserve'
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Adler: 'I'm Finally Starting To Get The Recognition That I Deserve'  (Read 14246 times)
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 02:32:07 PM »

I might be in the minority on this , but I think The "Illusions" as a set are way better than "Appetite."  The range of the different types of songs on there is incredible.  And I thought Matt did a fine job on the record, Locomotive, You Could be Mine, Estranged

I agree. Maybe it's because I don't know very much about drumming, but I like Matt's playing. I've also always liked the drum sound on the UYIs and TSI. They sound much clearer, but without drowning anything else out.

Like I said, I'm no drumming expert, but I think that Steven's style suited AFD, while Matt's more technical and precise style fits in betetr on the kind of stuff they were doing on the UYI albums.

But Steven should definitely be recognised for what he did. His stuff on PC and Rocket Queen especially is awesome stuff, even to a non-musician like me. beer

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

I also like the diversity of UYI, I think with Steven it would sound pretty different, more loose though. Production's a lot better on UYI, AFD has more of an 80's sound. Only thing that's crap on UYI production is Izzy's guitar that's burried in the mix, but if it would be equal with Slash it would've been great.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »

yeah cause Steven's drumming on Civil War is so Shitty Roll Eyes

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »

Steven played on Civil War, but the drumparts that Matt play are basically what Steven wrote.. when Matt came in the songs were already there, he had to learn the songs quickly right before they went to record them.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »

so who made up the YCBM intro?

if Matt did, then u have to give him credit no doubt

my problem with Sorum is.. guy has no fucking dynamics whatsoever... regardless of the song, he is trying to bust his drum head...

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »

Of course it sounds good, it's all meshed together from a ton of different takes. No way in hell could Adler pull it off in one take or even live (just look at farm aid).
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »

Of course it sounds good, it's all meshed together from a ton of different takes. No way in hell could Adler pull it off in one take or even live (just look at farm aid).

I've seen Adler's Appetite, twice.   He played Civil War perfectly, both times.   Ppl don't get that he was sick from opiate blockers when he recorded that track.   It's not like he isn't a good enough drummer to play it.  There was just a lot of shit going on.    Also, if you have read the book, he says that Duff and Slash wouldn't even talk to him before Farm Aide, so there was no way for him to prepare.   Fuck he didn't even know the song was called "Civil War" when Axl introduced it.  They threw him a curveball that night at Farm Aid.  You all act like the other guys were so fucking innocent, but there was probably a lot of bullshit going on with everyone.  Bottom line, we weren't there, we don't know.   

I also don't understand what ppl get out of bashing Adler.  Sure, he has flaws, and I don't compare him to Slash or Duff, but some ppl get so caught up in bashing him.  And for what?  Does it make you feel better about yourself to talk shit about a recovering drug addict? 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:18:47 PM by Trist805 » Logged
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »

In addition to playing it with Adler's Appetite, Steven also recorded demo versions of "Civil War" during the 1989 Chicago sessions before the 1990 formal recording.  I have those demos, and they sound great.  Steven also recorded demos of other UYI songs such as "Don't Damn Me" and "Get in the Ring", among several others, that are also found on bootlegs.

so who made up the YCBM intro?

Duff.... and that's according to Sorum himself.  I've heard Steven play that intro though at his shows.

my problem with Sorum is.. guy has no fucking dynamics whatsoever... regardless of the song, he is trying to bust his drum head...

Exactly?  It is true that Matt was playing parts that Steven already wrote.  This was verified by Slash several times.

However, the difference between Adler and Sorum playing the same material is striking.  Sorum took Steven?s material and turned it into smash, smash, smash.

Having heard the UYI demos that Steven did, they?re not terribly different than what appears on the albums, the difference is that jackhammer technique that Sorum uses.

I?d say a good comparison is listen to the way Adler plays the AFD material, and then listen to the way Sorum plays it.  They?re the same songs with the same essential beat, but the difference is that Adler is loose and energetic, and Sorum overpowers and overplays all the time.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:38:35 PM by Bridge » Logged
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »

I might be in the minority on this , but I think The "Illusions" as a set are way better than "Appetite."  The range of the different types of songs on there is incredible.  And I thought Matt did a fine job on the record, Locomotive, You Could be Mine, Estranged, your telling me He had no "feel" on those songs?  Thats bullshit, Steve is just a little jealous of Matt both for the GNR thing and the VR thing.  If it were up to Steve in the early 90's GNR would have crashed and burned before the Illusions ever saw the light of day.

I'm with you on that.

Poor Steven...ASK for recognition is not the best thing to do...

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »

Def in the minority

PC is one of the most famous drumbeats of all time with We Will Rock You and Enter Sandman

Brownstone come on

Rocket Queen

Even like SCOM when the whole band kicks in.. just the swing and beat of the kick drum with snare combo he does makes u fucking groove like hell.

Hell one can maybe say Adler's drumming inspired the snake dance..... maybe something in Adler's beat made Axl move that way...

UYI is ok........ but i never feel that groove like on AFD.. u don't want to dance to UYI

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »

Dead Horse is probably Sorum's only performance on UYI I've always really dug, everything else is dull as dishwater.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:31 AM »

Steven's drumming is amazing but Guns were on the verge of going from big to huge at that point and the pressure to release the next album was immense.  They couldn't just sit around and wait for steven to sort himself out.  Slash, Duff and Izzy were all doing the same shit but they were more in control than Steven.  (slightly at least).

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »

I wouldn't go so far as to say Matt's drumming has 'no soul' or 'no feel', it's just different from Steven's. Matt is more precise and probably more predictable while Steven's drumming has no set plan and because of this has a certain unique character. I especially like his use of the cowbell. That said, the way Steven talks, you'd think Appetite has the greatest drumming ever recorded.
Who doesnt love a bit of cowbell?

html sucks
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »

All this talk of dancin and groovin, maybe someone can post a video of an AFD interpretive dance?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

I wouldn't go so far as to say Matt's drumming has 'no soul' or 'no feel', it's just different from Steven's. Matt is more precise and probably more predictable while Steven's drumming has no set plan and because of this has a certain unique character. I especially like his use of the cowbell. That said, the way Steven talks, you'd think Appetite has the greatest drumming ever recorded.
Who doesnt love a bit of cowbell?

More cowbell!

Fuck 'Em All.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »

Poor Guy.

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 02:48:05 AM »

All this talk of dancin and groovin, maybe someone can post a video of an AFD interpretive dance?

I am sure there are a bunch of Welcome to the Jungle ones!!!

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »

STEVEN ADLER Apologizes To MATT SORUM: 'The Words Just Came Out Wrong' - Sep. 1, 2010

Original GUNS N' ROSES and current ADLER'S APPETITE drummer Steven Adler was a guest on this past Monday's (August 30) edition of "Good Day L.A.", a television talk show which airs on KTTV (Fox 11), the Fox Broadcasting Company-owned and operated station in Los Angeles, California. Watch his appearance on the program below.

At the end of the interview, Adler can be seen speaking to the camera directly and saying, "I need to apologize to [Adler's replacement in GUNS N' ROSES] Matt Sorum. I'm sorry about what I said in those interviews. The words just came out wrong. I think you're amazing and I love you, man. Sorry about that."

Adler slammed Sorum in a recent interview with Ultimate-Guitar.com. Adler was kicked out of the band in 1990 due to his drug use, and when asked how he felt when he heard that Sorum would play on the band's 1991 "Use Your Illusion" records, Adler said, "His were just half-assed, crappy versions. Nothing personal against the guy, but he's like a goddamn drum machine. He's got no heart; he's got no soul; he's got no feel. And as life and the years have shown obviously I'm not the easiest drummer to replace."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145400

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 09:33:50 PM »

STEVEN ADLER Apologizes To MATT SORUM: 'The Words Just Came Out Wrong' - Sep. 1, 2010

I'd say the words came out right the first time, and exactly as Steven meant them.  It was his tone that came off as spiteful.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 11:10:39 PM »

In many ways I agree with Steven. It didn't feel as great on the drums from what I hear and in a comparison Steven has much more soul in his playing but again that's what I think.

Love it or hate it.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: