Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Your Friends Reaction to GNR (the new band)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Friends Reaction to GNR (the new band)  (Read 20534 times)
GNR estranged
Rocker

« on: October 09, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »

Not sure if this is dead horse. If it is, sorry, please move it.
I was wondering if this has happened to any of you?

I wore my GNR shirt from Hammerstein to my hockey game. I'm talking to two of my freinds and here is how the conversation went:

Friend 1 - "Are you going to see GNR when they come around?"
Me - "Oh yeah, they put on an amazing show."
Friend 2 - "Its not even GNR, its Axl and his misfits."
Friend 1 - "I know, what are you gonna go see buckethead?"
Me - "Nope, Buckheadhead quit."
Friend 2 - "Oh Shit, Buckhead isnt even in the band anymore. Damn, why would you even go see them."
Me - "Im telling you, these new guys are good. Check out the show, listen to the new songs and im telling you you'll have a great time. It'll probably one of the best shows you can go to."
Friend 1 - "Yeah right, its nothing more then a joke now."

So we go and play hockey (get killed 11-1,) and as im leaving my friends go -
Them - "Hey, you got an extra ticket to that GNR show"
Me - "Why? You guys want to go?"
Them - "Yeah, let me know if you can get a ticket"

Just thought it was so weird that people will make fun of the new band, but then still want to go to the show.
Anyway, I wanted to know if anybody else has a story like this. If so post it.
I also wanted to discuss your opinions on why people make fun of them, but still will go see them.

PLEASE - Don't turn this into a thread knocking the new band.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:05:27 PM »

Same, exept for buckethead (most of the time they don't even know his name, they just name him as "the guy who looked like a weirdo"): They all say he was a complete clown and are very happy he is not part of the band anymore. They said they didn't like GN'R a few years ago because of this guy and that he was a complete joke. Obviously, we all agree on that point.
Most of them aren't "fans" like me, but they know Slash isn't in the band anymore. They just know 2 guys in GN'R: Axl and Slash. So Slash is quite a big loss for them. Once again we agree.
Anyway, one friend told me he was impressed by Fortus (cool! and i REALLY agree!). That's the only comment about a new member that I heard, because for most part, they don't know who the new guys are. They stopped in 1993 and don't know much about the new line-up. but they like some new songs, especially the blues and madagascar.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:42:24 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 04:06:46 PM »

Well that's human kind for you. Even though all logic suggests that they sholdn't see the band and mock them all they can, when it comes down to it they will give in to their feelings and curiosity.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »

I think it's mainly because people consider Axl Rose to be one of the few "must-see" frontmen, no matter what band he's fronting. ?They may think he's an asshole, or a joke, but they still realise that there's not many people out there who can rule the stage like he does and that if they get a chance to see him, they can't pass it up. ?What I'm hoping for, is these people to go to the shows just to see Axl, but come away in love with a new band.

It's like M. Shadows said in an interview - "People may hate Axl, but they'd still go see Guns N' Roses. ?That's what I want for us".
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:09:09 PM »

honestly the friends I have are older, so say at least 35 or better so they really know nothing or maybe caught the vmas in 02... They might have read about tommy hillfiger but nothing much else..
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:09:31 PM »

My friends all hate it...although I told my mate to watch em at Download (he had a weekend pass) and he said they were amazing, only bettered by Metallica.
superdave
Headliner

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 04:09:48 PM »

yeah ive had similar experiences. ?i've been following the band for years, and now that GNR are coming to my area, all these fair-weather fans who are my friends are getting on my nerves. ?
guns_n_motley
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »

I make fun of axl all the time, and i still REALLY want to see him live hihi Grin
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 04:11:35 PM »

My brother in law plays in a cover band that is pretty vanilla. ?I told him he is an awesome guitarist but maybe should consider some sort of gimmick for entertainment value. I offered Bumblefoot's guitar as an example. ?He says to me, "You know who Bumblefoot is? ?I have heard some of their music and its pretty awesome." ?I say yes, I know who Bumblefoot is, he is now in GNR. ?Of course he responds, wow,he's in GNR? Well that isnt GNR, its Axl. However he asked me if I had any video or anything with bumblefoot playing in GNR, so the next time he is at my house, I am going to show him Nightrain from Rock Am. So who knows, he may come around.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
guns_n_motley
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »

one of my friends absolutely HATES axl though.. dont know why... He cant stand him, hates his guts...

we went to VR together but he said hes definitely not going to nu-gnr when/if the mohegan date is announced
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »

My best friend, who I'm taking to the third Universal show more or less accepts the new guys.  But for the love of me, I don't understand why he cares about Axl's braids so much. Roll Eyes
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 04:14:30 PM »

? But for the love of me, I don't understand why he cares about Axl's braids so much. Roll Eyes

You should start wearing braids like Axl and see where it goes.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 04:14:52 PM »

I've had a few discussions about this with friends. Most think it's cool when they find out Finck was in NIN and Tommy in the 'Mats, or Brain having drummed for Primus (even Richard gets a nod for Psychadellic Furs). It's not like these guys don't have their own rock credo.

People are still basically pissed about Slash being gone though... but some of my friends seemed down with Izzy playing this summer, kinda like "well if Izzy is cool with it than I guess it's ok."
Alina
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »

most of my friends even doesnt know about GNR  Angry

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 04:21:34 PM »

People are still basically pissed about Slash being gone though...

People will be pissed forever as long as Slash won't be back, no matter how good ChiDem will be, and it's normal. You can't re-write the past. You can't go against that. Slash was as famous and as important as Axl, it's hard to imagine GN'R without Slash. it would be like The Rolling Stones without Keith Richards. You can't "replace" a Legend, put that in your head forever. This is almost like a scientific law. Like A+B. You can't go against that. Nobody can.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:29:38 PM by nesquick » Logged

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 04:25:33 PM »

I agree.

It happened to them as a pair. Like it or not, it's kind of like their fate. Forever linked, for better or worse.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Saboteur Cyb. Punk
Banned
Rocker

Buckethead unmasked!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »

Same, exept for buckethead (most of the time they don't even know his name, they just name him as "the guy who looked like a weirdo"): They all say he was a complete clown and are very happy he is not part of the band anymore. They said they didn't like GN'R a few years ago because of this guy and that he was a complete joke. Obviously, we all agree on that point.
Most of them aren't "fans" like me, but they know Slash isn't in the band anymore. They just know 2 guys in GN'R: Axl and Slash. So Slash is quite a big loss for them. Once again we agree.
Anyway, one friend told me he was impressed by Fortus (cool! and i REALLY agree!). That's the only comment about a new member that I heard, because for most part, they don't know who the new guys are.

Do you have friends? no

I Mean Acid / Do Ya Like It ?
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »

I agree.

It happened to them as a pair. Like it or not, it's kind of like their fate. Forever linked, for better or worse.

Exactly. I've always seen Axl and Slash like the father and the mother in a family, as you say, "forever linked, for better and worse". This is really that. I mean, you can't ask a children to "forget" his mother or his father, and you can't "replace" a father or a mother by someone else.
This is against the law of nature.
Anyway, we're kinda off-topic here so I won't develop that point.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:38:38 PM by nesquick » Logged

GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »

You can't "replace" a Legend, put that in your head forever. This is almost like a scientific law. Like A+B. You can't go against that. Nobody can.

all i have to say to that is.... Bon Scott.

But lets stay on topic and not compare the old band to the new. Thats been done way too much...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:40:07 PM by GNR estranged » Logged
ThatGuy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 04:40:08 PM »

all most people remember or know about the "new" guns n roses, if anything, is the '02 VMA's.  everyone i know says axl cant sing anymore.  they are usually suprised when i say he sounds really good now.  axl has to prove himself again in america.

imagine this, top rolled down, 4 pumps of l.a. looks in your hair, crusing down the highway, getting roadhead while jamming You Could Be Mine!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: