Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:42:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Your Friends Reaction to GNR (the new band)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Friends Reaction to GNR (the new band)  (Read 20537 times)
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »

I've lost all of my friends due to the CD not being out, and at this rate, if no release date is given, I'll certainly continue to lose them at a rate which is faster than that at which I will gain them.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 04:50:21 PM »

Most of my friends are pretty positive. Im going with my nephews. and a few friends they know good music when they heard them they said wow theyre really good...and to them its GNR...One other friend calls it axl and a band. But for the most part everyone around here thinks its great. I live near Halifax by the way and most around here are very pro GNR.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
RJ1221
Rocker

5 dolla Spock bill!

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »

I've lost all of my friends due to the CD not being out, and at this rate, if no release date is given, I'll certainly continue to lose them at a rate which is faster than that at which I will gain them.

what the hell kind of friends do you have?
charlesfosterkane
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 05:20:27 PM »

a friend of mine whose opinion i really trust said when he saw axl rose playing november rain in 1992 he said to himself, 'well, they're finished.' so, he's not a big axl rose/gnr fan. but when i played him 'better' he sort of stood there silent and when it was over said, like he really felt it, 'that's a good song.' but he's a big buckethead fan so maybe that has something to do with it. my wife prefers 'oh my god' to most classic gnr songs. i don't know anyone else who likes gnr too much. my friends are usually into modest mouse or flaming lips or the black keys-- stuff like that.
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 05:22:04 PM »

I usually get ?"It's jus tAxl not the real GNR" or "Is Slash in the band? No? so it's just Axl" or "Slash is not there, I'm not going"

Izzy playing with the band did give them some credit though but I think this is unrelated to the other band members and more like "Axl and Izzy playing together, yep, that's closer to the real GNR". For me, that is 2/3 of GNR anyway. The other 1/3 being the guy in the Volkswagen commercial...huh... sorry, I mean Slash...

No matter what.... Jagger/Richards, Tyler/Perry, Rose/Slash.... ?that's the way history will be written unless the current band puts out a great record followed by a bunch of other great records. I would say it would take at least 3 or 4 records that people would put very high up in rock records charts/polls for this GNR to be treated like the old one in terms of legacy.

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:11 PM »

I catch hell from some people for still supporting Axl and the new GnR. I don't care though. I like what i like, and don't feel the need to defend what i like to anyone, BUT
not too long ago , this dude i know was ripping on Axl for keeping the name Guns N Roses, but then went on to talk about how he was going to see Megadeth 2 weeks later, and how awesome this new Megadeth lineup is, etc... ?I'm just like " Dude, what's the fucking difference with Dave using the name Megadeth for a whole new band?" He's like " Cuz Dave owns the name and these new guys rock!" i just said " Well, same story with Axl and GnR, you oughtta check out the new band before you put them down". I then gave him a copy of Rock Am Ring and he has since changed his views on old uncle axl.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 05:25:03 PM »

most of my friends think of my interest in all of this as a bit of a joke

theyre all fans of the old band, and Ive kept them in the loop. All think its a farce that he is calling it GN'R - that just seems to be the majority view in the public, lets be honest here - in fact the only people Ive heard say otherwise have been people on these forums

Their reactions to the demos Ive played have been surprise. "Axl sounds OK" that ?kind of thing, I think the 2002 VMA appearance did so much damage - so many people saw that and that is the only impression they have of this new band and "new Axl" to go on

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 05:49:21 PM »

Not sure if this is dead horse. If it is, sorry, please move it.
I was wondering if this has happened to any of you?

I wore my GNR shirt from Hammerstein to my hockey game. I'm talking to two of my freinds and here is how the conversation went:

Friend 1 - "Are you going to see GNR when they come around?"
Me - "Oh yeah, they put on an amazing show."
Friend 2 - "Its not even GNR, its Axl and his misfits."
Friend 1 - "I know, what are you gonna go see buckethead?"
Me - "Nope, Buckheadhead quit."
Friend 2 - "Oh Shit, Buckhead isnt even in the band anymore. Damn, why would you even go see them."
Me - "Im telling you, these new guys are good. Check out the show, listen to the new songs and im telling you you'll have a great time. It'll probably one of the best shows you can go to."
Friend 1 - "Yeah right, its nothing more then a joke now."

So we go and play hockey (get killed 11-1,) and as im leaving my friends go -
Them - "Hey, you got an extra ticket to that GNR show"
Me - "Why? You guys want to go?"
Them - "Yeah, let me know if you can get a ticket"

Just thought it was so weird that people will make fun of the new band, but then still want to go to the show.
Anyway, I wanted to know if anybody else has a story like this. If so post it.
I also wanted to discuss your opinions on why people make fun of them, but still will go see them.

PLEASE - Don't turn this into a thread knocking the new band.

I don't know what your age is, but depending on your friends, they do that because they think it's the 'cool thing' to do, which it is not.

They are embarrassed they might like them. Kids today spend so much time defending crap mike My Chemical Romance & Panic At The Disco, and are being brainwashed they are geniouses, and they are not.

Unfortunately because of the douches, this is another battle the band will have to fight, especially after the 2002 disaster on all fronts.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Wolfpac
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 06:38:43 PM »

I just let the new 'music' speak for itself. I personally think the new demos/leaks suck monkey balls and so do all the people I've played them to. As a matter of fact most of them laughed their asses off when I told them it was Guns N' Roses AFTER they heard the songs.....
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 06:56:19 PM »

Most people around me only interested in singers so.....(I really don't think that's a good thing for music/rock in general) Undecided

Just thought it was so weird that people will make fun of the new band, but then still want to go to the show.

I also wanted to discuss your opinions on why people make fun of them, but still will go see them.

According to what I've heard, people have ever made fun of Axl from the day one. not of ex members tho.
Maybe that doesn't mean they are negative about axl or the new band. Or rather they find the band and the situation funny(/amusing) and interesting and are actually too eager to see what comical step the band is gonna take next as well as how great the music sounds?

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 07:01:35 PM »

90% of the people I've mentioned GNR to crack jokes after finding out that Slash isn't in the band anymore.

This band has a long uphill.

gnrevolution.com
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »

Same, exept for buckethead (most of the time they don't even know his name, they just name him as "the guy who looked like a weirdo"): They all say he was a complete clown and are very happy he is not part of the band anymore. They said they didn't like GN'R a few years ago because of this guy and that he was a complete joke. Obviously, we all agree on that point.
Do you EVER stop spewing this anti BH propoganda bullshit? Its obvious that these conversation with your friends never took place. Its just your delusional mind at work. The thing you dont understand is that there never was an anti BH movement. He was only in the band a few years, and GNR wasn't in the spotlight during his duration in the band so even IF there was potential for a backlash, it never came to fruition.

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 09:28:21 PM »

90% of the people I've mentioned GNR to crack jokes after finding out that Slash isn't in the band anymore.

This band has a long uphill.

I think this has to do 100% to how Axl vs. Slash is portrayed in the media. Slash has always been a media darling, and always portrayed in a positive light, whereas Axl has always been portrayed as this domineering asshole who hates the world, and is the devil reborn.

Perception is reality, and this is the reason people think Slash is the coolest and not Axl. This is the reason for the uphill. But they need not forget, if Slash was still in this band, none of this would be fucking happening. They wouldn't be able to get along long enough to cut an album. They barely cut the Illusion's out together.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »

I just let the new 'music' speak for itself. I personally think the new demos/leaks suck monkey balls and so do all the people I've played them to. As a matter of fact most of them laughed their asses off when I told them it was Guns N' Roses AFTER they heard the songs.....

But dude... you like Buckcherry and Motley Crue.  Enough said.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »

None of my friends have the slightest interest in the New Gn'R.. One called me the other day because he wanted to ask if GnR got back together. He said the DJ on WAAF said they had and are palying. I said it was the new GnR and he siad "Oh, fuck that"

makane
Legend

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »

I honestly don't know anyone who likes the new-GN'R outside GN'R boards.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 10:22:09 AM »

All my friends know what happened with the band (old one)

All my friends started to bash Axl and the new band when they came to know he was continuing (back in 2001-2002)

All my friends now shut the fuck up, after they've heard 'Better', 'CITR', 'Maddy', 'There Was A Time', 'The Blues' and 'IRS'

Some of them even went to European shows, and now are waiting for the album to come out yes

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 11:50:25 AM »

My friends all say its not GNR without Slash and Duff, and to some extent Izzy. Im agree with them but after all these years I just want to see if this album will be any good becuase I think Axl is great. I dont particlarly rate the new songs except TWAT so my hopes arent high. I just want to see if all the bullshit and the destroying of the old band was worth it and that he'll pull a masterstroke and it might actually be worth the pathetically absurd wait.

My friend who loved the classic line-up snapped up Hammersmith tickets when he heard they were playing, when it was rumoured to be the proper line up. But when he found out it wasnt he promptly sold his tickets and laughed heartily when I went to the gig. He asked if it was good, so I said 'yeah, but its not GNR its an Axl solo show with some other guys, and they butchered Patience'. He laughed even more when I told him they played an Aguilera song. His words were 'Most dangerous band in the world? Most money grabbing fraudulent band in the world more like'.

And that is the opinion of everyone that I know. The treat this band as a joke and a rip off. And they have seen vids etc of the new line up etc and they still think its shite. To them VR is more GNR than these guys will ever be.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »

And that's the problem. No one understands that most of the material done in the old days, was Slash & Duff playing Axl & Izzy's lyrically & instrumentally wrote material.

Yet somehow this new band isn't Guns N' Roses? The same man who called the shots back then, is still calling the shots, so how is it not Guns N' Roses?

Anybody who listens to VR and says it's more GNR, than GNR, has no idea what makes good music, what makes GNR music, and what's musically correct.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 04:05:17 AM »

Not sure if this is dead horse. If it is, sorry, please move it.
I was wondering if this has happened to any of you?

I wore my GNR shirt from Hammerstein to my hockey game. I'm talking to two of my freinds and here is how the conversation went:

Friend 1 - "Are you going to see GNR when they come around?"
Me - "Oh yeah, they put on an amazing show."
Friend 2 - "Its not even GNR, its Axl and his misfits."
Friend 1 - "I know, what are you gonna go see buckethead?"
Me - "Nope, Buckheadhead quit."
Friend 2 - "Oh Shit, Buckhead isnt even in the band anymore. Damn, why would you even go see them."
Me - "Im telling you, these new guys are good. Check out the show, listen to the new songs and im telling you you'll have a great time. It'll probably one of the best shows you can go to."
Friend 1 - "Yeah right, its nothing more then a joke now."

So we go and play hockey (get killed 11-1,) and as im leaving my friends go -
Them - "Hey, you got an extra ticket to that GNR show"
Me - "Why? You guys want to go?"
Them - "Yeah, let me know if you can get a ticket"

Anyway, I wanted to know if anybody else has a story like this. If so post it.

PLEASE - Don't turn this into a thread knocking the new band.

I think I've seen this written on this board before, but it has become a trend to bash Axl and his "tribute band" even if deep-down, a person knows that Axl puts on one hell of a fuckin' performance every time he shows up (IF he shows up of course). Axl never dogs it, unlike many musicians out there.

At any rate, I think it's cool that your friends were still willing to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: