Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Scott Weiland - solo thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland - solo thread  (Read 132114 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »

Video Interview: Inside the studio with Scott Weiland for new album "Happy" in Galoshes

by Erin Broadley
November 17, 2008 2:15 AM

The inside of Scott Weiland's personal rehearsal and recording space, Lavish Studio, is exactly as its name suggests. Past the entryway, one walks through a hallway lined with gold and platinum Stone Temple Pilots records and into the main room lit mostly by candlelight and oriental lamps that cast a red hue over the myriad instruments (and several Samurai swords) that fill the space. The floor is layered with patterned rugs, all rich in color, and the hand scrawled notes on the walls suggest late nights of fevered songwriting. It is a sanctuary of sorts -- a den of creativity that Weiland refers to as a "church" -- hidden in an narrow alleyway alongside an otherwise nondescript Los Angeles street, quiet and removed from the whirlwind city that screams outside its walls.

When I arrive for our interview, Weiland and his band are rehearsing songs off his upcoming solo album, "Happy" in Galoshes, due November 25 on Weiland's own Softdrive Records. Electricity crackles through the room as the musicians discuss each song and knock them out, one after another. The excitement is to be expected; Galoshes is Weiland's first solo album in a decade (since the release of 12 Bar Blues in 1998) and his first collection of new material since his highly publicized falling out with Velvet Revolver this past Spring.

"We weren't writing songs to write hits," Weiland explains about his and songwriting/producing partner Doug Grean's approach to Galoshes. "We looked at this place [Lavish Studio] as a place to create. It was kind of a getaway... a place to have solitude and, really, for me to write music that was true to me."

Weiland went on to discuss the emotional turmoil that went into making this album, influenced much by the death of his brother in 2007, his mother's recent battle with cancer and the legalities of separating from his wife, Mary Forsberg, with whom he has two kids. During one of the more poignant moments in our conversation, Weiland -- lost in thought, his eyes far away -- spoke of his children and how hard it is to miss any of their growing up because of touring demands.

"It pains me when I am gone for a month, even, and I come back and there's differences -- big positive amazing differences, beautiful differences -- that I haven't been a part of because I've been working... to make the money, out there on the road."

Check out the video below for an inside look at L.A. Weekly's visit to Weiland's studio and our one-on-one interview.

Video: http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/interviews/video-interview-inside-the-stu-1/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Scott Weiland Album Premiere on MySpace!

Scott Weiland's solo album, "Happy" In Galoshes has exclusively premiered at MySpace today! Head to Scott's MySpace page to listen now!

Don't forget, the Deluxe Edition of "Happy" In Galoshes is available for pre-order exclusively at Bestbuy.com/ScottWeiland. Make sure to order yours now!

http://www.myspace.com/scottweiland

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »

Scott will be performing 'Missin' Cleveland' this Friday on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »

Q&A: Weiland "Happy" with long-in-the-works solo album

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:35pm EST

By Gary Graff

DETROIT (Billboard) - It's been a decade since Scott Weiland's last solo album, 1998's "12 Bar Blues," but he hasn't exactly been warming the bench. The singer has been in and out of Stone Temple Pilots twice, formed and ultimately parted with Velvet Revolver, married twice, had two children and some encounters with rehab.

He also spent a good chunk of that time working on more music of his own, which surfaces November 25 on "Happy in Galoshes," a wildly eclectic two-CD set on his own Softdrive Records label, which Weiland created with writing and producing partner Doug Grean. It features contributions by Paul Oakenfold and members of No Doubt. Weiland calls it "a sonic trip -- to where, I don't know" -- but he's hoping fans are ready to strap in and take the ride with him.

Q: You left Velvet Revolver this year, toured with Stone Temple Pilots and now are releasing a solo album. You don't waste much time, do you?

Scott Weiland: Well, I've been working on ("Happy in Galoshes") for quite a while, actually. Some of the songs were recorded a few years ago, and a good chunk of them were recorded just, like, a year ago at (producer) Steve Albini's place in Chicago. There's two songs on the record that were recorded actually around nine years ago and were the first Doug (Grean) and I ever did together.

Q: Did you purposely set out to cover such a wide range of styles?

Weiland: No. That's the thing; there was absolutely no mission. It was just, wherever the inspiration takes me and takes us, we followed. The whole idea was to throw in every influence that I've ever had, whether it be Latin or bossa nova and mix it with a little modern kind of cheap beat-box kind of vibe or some ethereal touch or whatever it could be.

Q: These are very personal songs, too, aren't they?

Weiland: Yeah, they are. It's a concept album, and it's a personal concept album. There's a song on there about my dad ("The Man I Didn't Know") and a couple of songs about my brother, but mostly it really tells the tale of the relationship between my wife and (me) from the beginning until, you know, kind of the end. There were some periods of time when the pain created the most prolific periods I've ever had. Whether it's going to actually translate into commercial success or not doesn't really matter to me, because I think that my true fans will be into it for what it is.

Q: What did happen with Velvet Revolver?

Weiland: I had already talked to (guitarist) Slash and said there was going to be an STP tour, and that's the deal. And then basically (Velvet Revolver drummer) Matt Sorum just went on the Web site one night and started talking s--t about me, and I responded and I basically said from the stage that this is the last Velvet Revolver tour. Some people thought I was kidding, but I meant it.

Q: Are you planning to make a Stone Temple Pilots album now that you've toured?

Weiland: I don't know how things are going to go with STP. It was sad to find out that we're still in some way locked into a contract with Atlantic Records, which is a travesty, actually. When we signed to them it was a great label. It was a beautiful time in music. Now if you say, "We're going to do this song as the first single," they go, "OK, we're going to do some radio testing." What the ... ? When we first talked about putting STP back together, it was, "Do this tour and then see about doing a creative deal with another company." So if it ends up being we have to make a certain amount of records for Atlantic in order to be free, then I don't know if I have that in me.

Reuters/Billboard

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

I cant wait to buy this also.

The Man I didnt know is a good song

I absolutely love Paralysis and Missing Cleveland is growing on me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »

Scott from Jay Leno last night...

Missin' Cleveland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1Lf8Muj8c

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »

I always thought Scott's voice was kind of weak live

I thought he sounded pretty shitty last night.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/reviews-album/happy-in-galoshes-1003895495.story

November 29, 2008 ET

'Happy' in Galoshes

Following Stone Temple Pilots' first hiatus in 1998, Scott Weiland released a solo album, "12 Bar Blues." A decade later, following his messy departure from Velvet Revolver and the return of STP, he's back with another, released on his own Softdrive label. While the debut showed him eager to step outside the confines of STP, he essentially has nothing to prove here, and as a result, it's a casual-sounding record. Some tracks, like first single "Missing Cleveland" and "Paralysis," are rockers that wouldn't sound out of place on an STP album, but there's also the Paul Oakenfold-assisted electronica cover of David Bowie's "Fame" and the bossa nova rhythm of "Killing Me Sweetly." It's definitely more ambitious than anything he did in Velvet Revolver, but it should still please fans of either of his bands. "Galoshes" is also available as a deluxe edition with a disc of additional tracks. ?Bram Teitelman

Mechanical-Worm
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »

Scott from Jay Leno last night...

Missin' Cleveland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1Lf8Muj8c

I watched it when he was on.

I downloaded the leak yesterday and I' glad I did it's great. I'll be buying this now. Cheesy
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »

http://www.rosshalfin.com/scott-weiland/scott-weiland02.php

TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »

It's not as good as his first solo album, which I think is the best record he's ever been involved with, but I prefer it to Velvet Revolver and there's enough good stuff for fans of his amongst some hideous filler like the Fame cover.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »

2 New songs are available for streaming here:

http://www.imeem.com/scottweiland

The man I didn't know
Hyper-fuzz-funny-car

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »

Scott Weiland Interview on KROQ LA?s Kevin and Bean Show 11/24 (MP3)

November 25, 2008

Scott Weiland was on the Kevin and Bean Show on KROQ 106.7 yesterday morning. Scott talked about having a security alarm problem at his house, doing a ton of promo for the new album ?Happy in Galoshes?, (?I probably haven?t work this hard since ?Core??), picking singles in Stone Temple Pilots (overcoming the popularity of ?Plush?) and more. Check out the interview by clicking on the flash button below:

http://theaudioperv.com/2008/11/25/scott-weiland-interview-on-kroq-las-kevin-and-bean-show-1124-mp3/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »

SCOTT WEILAND: 'I Still Drink' - Nov. 26, 2008

TMZ.com reports that STONE TEMPLE PILOTS/ex-VELVET REVOLVER singer Scott Weiland finally admitted to what everyone who watched the American Music Awards this past Sunday (see video below) already knew ? that he still hits the bottle ... hard. On his way to Vegas, the man who's been in and out of drug rehab AND who got a DUI last year, told TMZ.com, "I still drink, I'm not perfect ... you know?"

Weiland seemed to have some difficulty with his introduction of Pink's performance of her song "Sober" at the American Music Awards, according to Virgin Radio. Host Jimmy Kimmel made fun of his slurred speech later, saying "And what a 16th birthday party (Billy Ray Cyrus) put together for Miley tonight, right? In fact, now that she's old enough to drive, maybe she could give Scott Weiland a ride home."

The 36th annual American Music Awards was broadcast live from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday, November 23 on ABC.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109673

overmatik
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

I've just finished listening to the double edition and I gotta say guys, the album is great! Much better than 12 Bar Blues, that had only 4 nice songs.

The production is top notch, and different from VR, Scott is singing very free and confident. Very nice choice for the holidays! Cool
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »

Irony:  The admitted addict shows up drunk off his rocker to introduce 'sober'.

Props to Jimmy Kimmel for quick wit...or perhaps that line was written months ago, with full expectation that Scott would be sloshed.   hihi

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
GeraldFord
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2008, 01:01:20 AM »

I've just finished listening to the double edition and I gotta say guys, the album is great! Much better than 12 Bar Blues, that had only 4 nice songs.

The production is top notch, and different from VR, Scott is singing very free and confident. Very nice choice for the holidays! Cool

Did that come in the mail or did you just buy it at best buy. My copy hasn't come yet. no
overmatik
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »

Did that come in the mail or did you just buy it at best buy. My copy hasn't come yet. no

Well man, I live in Brazil, so I had to download it. I didn't know there was a double edition first, so I had pre-ordered the single one at amazon. Now i've cancelled the order and I'm waiting for someone to put the double one for sale at Ebay, so I can buy it.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »

Scott Weiland - Missing Cleveland / Barbarella - Jimmy Kimmel Live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZIQhPJEXI

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2008, 11:10:46 PM »

Absolutely amazing performance of both