Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227846 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 253434 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »

There's really nothing MLB can do about it, these guys have so many miles on them before they hit the big leagues they all break at some point.

There's some stuff they can do, at all levels, to try to help.  It won't help the guys in the bigs NOW, but it would help guys coming up through the system. 

The guys, today, are pretty much "lost causes".

It's the guys 5 years from now that you can "save". 

The 2 biggest targets of blame that I hear most are: (1) babying pitchers with pitch counts and over-monitoring of use; and (2) over-intensity of little leagues at too young an age (e.g., 8 year olds throwing sliders).  I think the first reason is just macho hot air from old dudes who walked 10 miles to school in the snow without shoes.  The second might have some merit though.  What would you say can be done now with young guys currently at the lower levels?

A lot of the guys have been mis/overused since they were in little league.

We all hear stories of flat out abuse every year, high school and college kids throwing 150 pitches one day and being called on in relief the next day - especially at tourney time.

There's only so many bullets these guys can fire, at some point the clip is empty.

As far as guys at lower levels, most teams are monitoring every aspect thinkable.

Mechanics, pitch counts, high stress situations, MRI's at the slightest discomfort et. al.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2015, 11:45:58 AM »

The 2 biggest targets of blame that I hear most are: (1) babying pitchers with pitch counts and over-monitoring of use; and (2) over-intensity of little leagues at too young an age (e.g., 8 year olds throwing sliders).  I think the first reason is just macho hot air from old dudes who walked 10 miles to school in the snow without shoes.  The second might have some merit though.  What would you say can be done now with young guys currently at the lower levels?

I think overuse, and incorrect training regiments, both need looking at. I think it's important that MLB reach out to the Little League organization, and to high schools, to see if they can impart some knowledge about pitching overuse at that level.  As you mentioned, those are big factors.

There are some biomechanical things involving mound "make-up" and ball weight/size that they can look at, too.  Those are directly in the control of MLB, and could be used throughout minor and major league teams.

If you look at the Japanese leagues, you'll notice a drastic difference in the number of pitching injuries. PART of that is probably duration of season...but they have very similar little league/secondary leagues as they do in the US, especially for those at the highest level.   And there have been some good studies that look at the WAY pitchers train over there, and the physical differences in their field/ball setup...specifically biomechanical comparisons...and show that there is simply less stress being put on the elbow in comparison. Part of that is the grip of the smaller ball, and possibly that's it's more tightly wound...part of it is the mounds are made up of a softer material, allowing more "grip" at push off (rather than the harder clay used in the US).

Both would be good things for MLB to look at...if not to adopt them, at least to better understand why they have an effect..and then tailor changes to the MLB game.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:47:34 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »

^ That all makes makes a lot of sense, you'd think they would make that investment with all the $$$ that top-flight pitchers command these days.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »

Well it is official Darvish goes under the knife Tuesday.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »

Looks like Jays lose Stroman for the year to an ACL.  That's a big blow for their rotation....Sorry Baconman. Sad

The jays have been cursed this pre season with these goof ball injuries.   Stroman breaks his knee in punting practice?  Saunders breaks his leg first day on a sprinkler head.    Ugh!

Stroman is a huge loss for the rotation that was already one short.   He would of won 12-16 games this year now two rookies have to fill two starting spots.   Plus a bullpen that is very week. 

The jays are going to have to hit a ton of home runs this year!,,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »

Another jays injury

Pilar.   Our starting center man pretty boy.  Threw out his stomach today.   Sneezing!!!!!!    Hahahaha.   Very true.  Out for 2 weeks.   

Oh brother

I don't know where u guys are and stuff. But here in canada I have been able to catch every spring training game live on hd.   First year ever for this and I love it.   
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:16 AM »

MLB Network shows a lot of spring games everyday here. I think all the Yankees spring games are on YES. They are blacked out where i am though.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »

Another jays injury

Pilar.   Our starting center man pretty boy.  Threw out his stomach today.   Sneezing!!!!!!    Hahahaha.   Very true.  Out for 2 weeks.   

Oh brother

I don't know where u guys are and stuff. But here in canada I have been able to catch every spring training game live on hd.   First year ever for this and I love it.   

I also just feel Reyes, Joey Batts and Encarnacion are stat guys... great fantasy players...not winners.

I'm not a Met fan...but being from New York I have seen Jose Reyes play a lot of baseball games... special talent...just doesn't translate to helping teams win for some reason.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »

MLB Network shows a lot of spring games everyday here. I think all the Yankees spring games are on YES. They are blacked out where i am though.

Not alll of them, but prolly 3/4 of them are on either yes, mlb, or...shudder...nesn (when playing the sox).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »

Not alll of them, but prolly 3/4 of them are on either yes, mlb, or...shudder...nesn (when playing the sox).

Do you have to pay extra for this MLB network?   Like netflix?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »

Do you have to pay extra for this MLB network?   Like netflix?

Nope, it's basic cable here.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »

And another pitcher goes down.  Zack Wheeler... TJ surgery, done for the year. 
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2015, 06:17:27 PM »

Another jays injury

Oh brother

I also just feel Reyes, Joey Batts and Encarnacion are stat guys... great fantasy players...not winners.

I'm not a Met fan...but being from New York I have seen Jose Reyes play a lot of baseball games... special talent...just doesn't translate to helping teams win for some reason.

Reyes is an incredible player, one of my favorite Mets ever.  If every player were like him, the 'baseball is boring' contingent wouldn't exist.  The problem with him has always been that he's too injury prone, particularly the leg injuries. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »

Another jays injury

Oh brother

Reyes is an incredible player, one of my favorite Mets ever.  If every player were like him, the 'baseball is boring' contingent wouldn't exist.  The problem with him has always been that he's too injury prone, particularly the leg injuries. 

His career has been disappointing considering his talent. Him bunting for a base hit and then walking off first base in his last game as a Met to ensure the batting title left an awful taste in my mouth.

But the irony is he is the perfect player for the 2015 Mets, considering they don't really have a shortstop or a leadoff hitter.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »

Another jays injury

Oh brother

His career has been disappointing considering his talent. Him bunting for a base hit and then walking off first base in his last game as a Met to ensure the batting title left an awful taste in my mouth.

But the irony is he is the perfect player for the 2015 Mets, considering they don't really have a shortstop or a leadoff hitter.

Other than earlier in his career, he's been on bad teams, that's not his fault.  His main 'fault' in terms of his career is that he just did not have the physical capacity to regularly withstand a 162-game season.  Sure, he'd be perfect for the Mets this year, until his legs gave out again mid-season. 

The batting title thing... his team was out of contention, it was the last game of the season, he just clinched the batting title... what is the motivation to keep playing and risk losing the batting title?  In a contract year where being a batting title winner can swing your contract amount by tens of millions?  Risk all that and the only potential payoff is that you would win the batting title by a slightly bigger margin? 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »

My best friend took the day off to take his son to Shea that day because they knew it was probably his last game as a Met.. and they were VERY disappointed and angry that he came out of the game.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:29:35 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

My best friend took the day off to take his son to Shea that day because they knew it was probably his last game as a Met.. and they were VERY disappointed and angry that he came out of the game.

They were probably even more pissed off when they got there and discovered that Shea Stadium no longer existed!     Grin peace

I'm sure other fans at Citifield that day would have preferred to watch Reyes play the whole game, but I assure you that the vast majority of Mets fans preferred to have one of their own win the batting title that year.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »

They were probably even more pissed off when they got there and discovered that Shea Stadium no longer existed!     Grin peace

I'm sure other fans at Citifield that day would have preferred to watch Reyes play the whole game, but I assure you that the vast majority of Mets fans preferred to have one of their own win the batting title that year.

I will call it Shea till I'm no longer around...

I don't know if you are from New York or listen to sports radio at all... but I live walking distance from "Shea" and for two weeks people called FAN and bashed Reyes for coming out of the game.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »

I have the number 4 pick in my upcoming fantasy draft...

I'm assuming Trout , Mccutchen and Kershaw are going before me... I am leaning towards Goldschmidt? I'm concerned about Miggy's nagging injuries.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

I will call it Shea till I'm no longer around...

I don't know if you are from New York or listen to sports radio at all... but I live walking distance from "Shea" and for two weeks people called FAN and bashed Reyes for coming out of the game.

Yep, from NY but stopped listening to the FAN long ago (other than watching some recent videos of Francesa falling asleep mid-interview).  Back then, my opinions were often the opposite of the FAN caller consensus and hopefully they still are.  I would guess that a lot those callers have more in common with Robert DeNiro's character from "The Fan" than they do with most sports fans. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: