Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 09:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who is a "BIGGER" artist? Kurt/Axl/Mick J.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who is a "BIGGER" artist? Kurt/Axl/Mick J.  (Read 1194 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: December 12, 2022, 07:50:10 PM »

When I think about it, it comes to my mind that few artists are more influential than Axl, in his genre.
I think maybe, Mick Jagger and Kurt Cobain are probably bigger than Axl.
What do you think?
Do you agree?
Is Kurt bigger or is Axl a bigger artist?
Can you name other artists that you consider greater than Axl?

*Bigger= More influential, more popular, deeper, more talented, more recognized commercially. With all these characteristics.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 11:51:55 PM »

Bono

But I was just telling someone about Keith Richard's book and how he insulted Mic's manhood.  So when you said bigger I kind of ruled Mic out.   hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
fishtifer
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 08:43:27 AM »

Trent Reznor. Axl was my first rock star idol back when Use Your Illusions came out and I defended him for years while my buddies listened to their Pearl Jams and Soundgardens. Then I got into Nirvana for a little while but by 1995 when it was obvious there wasn't going to be anymore Guns N' Roses music until further notice and that's when I discovered Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor became my new rock star idol. It was a long 4 year wait until he released The Fragile double album in 1999 but there were singles and cool music videos (Burn, The Perfect Drug, I'm Afraid of Americans) along the way. I did enjoy Oh My God by GNR as I was heavily into industrial music at this point and looked forward to the next GNR album and this direction Axl was taking. I finally got to see NIN live in 2000, and thought it was awesome when Robin Finck from NIN joined GNR and I got to see the 2002 GNR tour at Tacoma for the first time ever (although I was supposed to see them the night before in Vancouver but Axl didn't show up and there was a major riot and I had to get my ass to Tacoma the next day and hopefully find tickets which I luckily did).

Then I had a painful 6 year wait until NIN released With Teeth in 2005, but it was an incredible album with a good 2 year tour and I got to see them live again several times starting in clubs and ending in arenas. I got to see GNR again in 2006 which was the best show of theirs that I'd seen yet. Then in 2007 and 2008 NIN released the Year Zero, Ghosts and The Slip albums and had another awesome tour for those albums. GNR finally released Chinese in 2008, and it was okay - being a NIN fan Shacklers Revenge was my favorite song. I got to see GNR a third time in 2010 but couldn't stand Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba and Axl's handlebar mustache.

Trent continued to release new music and even start scoring movies, then in 2016 I got the chance of a lifetime to see Slash and Duff rejoin Axl on tour in Toronto at a giant baseball stadium where it wasn't intimate at all and they looked like ants on stage and Axl sounded like Mickey Mouse and Slash just kind of stood there going through the motions, hiding behind his hair, tophat and sunglasses.

And here we are 6 years later, Trent is still releasing EPs, scoring movies and playing rare songs at amphitheaters and Axl is playing basically the same old songs and Slash is dangling the new album carrot.

So yeah, Trent Fuckin' Reznor.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:20:16 PM by fishtifer » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »

Kurt is probably more influential. Nirvana had a bigger impact than Guns N'Roses, and GNR was not really a little indie band...

deeper or more talented, I won't say, they are both, in their own way. at a commercial level, I'd say they're equals.

Mick Jagger is like an old king, the original wave of rock, he's legendary.
Kurt is too, but it has to do with his death at 29 too, so it's a little biased.

of course all this kind of ranking artists is bullshit anyway  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 03:35:04 PM »

Of these 3?  It's Mick Jagger by leaps and bounds.

Also of these 3?  Axl comes in 3rd, if you are being objective.

Right at Axl's absolute height, his genre of music was basically put out to pasture.  That matters.  And, frankly, that charge was led by Kurt, who would have to be #2 on this list of 3.

Don't believe me?  How many people that came after them list GNR as big influences?  Not many.  How many bands emulated their sound?  Even fewer.

Now ask those same question of Nirvana.  It's not really close.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 05:58:50 PM »

Trent Reznor. Axl was my first rock star idol back when Use Your Illusions came out and I defended him for years while my buddies listened to their Pearl Jams and Soundgardens. Then I got into Nirvana for a little while but by 1995 when it was obvious there wasn't going to be anymore Guns N' Roses music until further notice and that's when I discovered Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor became my new rock star idol. It was a long 4 year wait until he released The Fragile double album in 1999 but there were singles and cool music videos (Burn, The Perfect Drug, I'm Afraid of Americans) along the way. I did enjoy Oh My God by GNR as I was heavily into industrial music at this point and looked forward to the next GNR album and this direction Axl was taking. I finally got to see NIN live in 2000, and thought it was awesome when Robin Finck from NIN joined GNR and I got to see the 2002 GNR tour at Tacoma for the first time ever (although I was supposed to see them the night before in Vancouver but Axl didn't show up and there was a major riot and I had to get my ass to Tacoma the next day and hopefully find tickets which I luckily did).

Then I had a painful 6 year wait until NIN released With Teeth in 2005, but it was an incredible album with a good 2 year tour and I got to see them live again several times starting in clubs and ending in arenas. I got to see GNR again in 2006 which was the best show of theirs that I'd seen yet. Then in 2007 and 2008 NIN released the Year Zero, Ghosts and The Slip albums and had another awesome tour for those albums. GNR finally released Chinese in 2008, and it was okay - being a NIN fan Shacklers Revenge was my favorite song. I got to see GNR a third time in 2010 but couldn't stand Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba and Axl's handlebar mustache.

Trent continued to release new music and even start scoring movies, then in 2016 I got the chance of a lifetime to see Slash and Duff rejoin Axl on tour in Toronto at a giant baseball stadium where it wasn't intimate at all and they looked like ants on stage and Axl sounded like Mickey Mouse and Slash just kind of stood there going through the motions, hiding behind his hair, tophat and sunglasses.

And here we are 6 years later, Trent is still releasing EPs, scoring movies and playing rare songs at amphitheaters and Axl is playing basically the same old songs and Slash is dangling the new album carrot.

So yeah, Trent Fuckin' Reznor.

thanks for sharing your experiences... it is true, Axl and GNR still plays the same songs, one reason why I created the thread about GNR a nostalgia act. This is very sad in my opinion, they were/are quite talented.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: