Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:41:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What Is Wrong With Teleprompters?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Is Wrong With Teleprompters?  (Read 5307 times)
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« on: May 04, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »

Janet Jackson story at www.canada.com

She was eager to chat about her upcoming tour, which begins in Vancouver on Sept. 17, admitting that she occasionally forgets some of the lyrics of her early hits.

"I feel so badly. I don't want to be one of those artists that has a teleprompter. I think that's kind of tacky," said a giggling Jackson, who will turn 38 on May 16. "But what's worse? That or forgetting your lyrics."

taken From:

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/story.html?id=49fcab38-575e-40c2-b7c2-393c127fd67e

I'd rather have a teleprompter rather than look like an ass infront of thousands of people that know the lyrics to my songs

« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 11:07:27 PM by volcano62 » Logged

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 11:10:58 PM »

I'd rather have a teleprompter rather than look like an ass infront of thousands of people that know the lyrics to my songs

...Or they could take a couple minutes to remember the words to their own songs?

Huh
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 11:15:58 PM »

me 2

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 11:17:42 PM »

nothing is wrong with them. I mean, no one really ever takes the time out to read them.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 11:18:37 PM »

I am going to bet there are people on this board that know every lyric to every GNR song, so asking the artist to remember the words un-assisted is not asking too much. Besides at an average of 60 bucks a head in an 18,000 person arena for a gross of over a million dollars for a night, I have little sympathy for any artist who claims they can't remember their lyrics. For that kind of money u practice until you get it right.
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 12:44:59 AM »

Teleprompters are mostly used by the band.  Another great way of helping everybody stay together.  
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 07:35:50 AM »

Maybe the pressure has finally got to me....

BUT why is this in the GNR section?HuhHuhHuh Huh
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 07:36:40 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 08:50:02 AM »

Because Axl used...?

just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 10:41:40 AM »

Because Axl used...?

yeah probably lol

off topic : for anyone who has albany 02 (center shot) watch CD played on that concert.....u can see axl clearly reading from the teleprompter at some point of the song
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 10:42:17 AM by just_one » Logged
kockstar99
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 12:18:45 PM »

i see nothing wrong with them... who cares if janet jackson puts them down... she sucks anyways...
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 12:50:09 PM »

Janet Jackson story at www.canada.com

She was eager to chat about her upcoming tour, which begins in Vancouver on Sept. 17, admitting that she occasionally forgets some of the lyrics of her early hits.

"I feel so badly. I don't want to be one of those artists that has a teleprompter. I think that's kind of tacky," said a giggling Jackson, who will turn 38 on May 16. "But what's worse? That or forgetting your lyrics."

taken From:

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/story.html?id=49fcab38-575e-40c2-b7c2-393c127fd67e

What the fuck is Janet Jackson talking about.  For fuck sakes, Janet, you lip sync your concerts, ya ol' saggy tittied beeootch.  There's nothing wrong using teleprompters.  

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 01:20:06 PM »

actually i'm glad axl forgets his lyrics somtimes, it sounds cool, and brings some change ....

about tele prompter, as axl keep stoping and complaining during song, i bet they are usefull for the rest of the band to follow .....

Huh

Dizzy
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 05:52:44 PM »

There is nothing wrong with teleprompters.  Everybody uses them.  Axl does, Ozzy Osbourne does, and a lot more than everyone thinks.

Yes, all of us on this forum know all the lyrics to GNR songs backwards and forwards.  But do all of us have to walk onstage every night in front of 20,000 people and sing those lyrics?  And not only sing them, but physically PERFORM while singing those lyrics to those 20,000 people?  Focusing on trying to convey emotion, energy, and enthusiasm while simultaneously trying to remember and sing those lyrics?

I don't give a damn how much money you're making or how many times you've rehearsed those songs, you try facing that pressure every single night and see if you can remember every single word.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 06:00:25 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 06:09:08 PM »

There is nothing wrong with teleprompters.  Everybody uses them.  Axl does, Ozzy Osbourne does, and a lot more than everyone thinks.

Yes, all of us on this forum know all the lyrics to GNR songs backwards and forwards.  But do all of us have to walk onstage every night in front of 20,000 people and sing those lyrics?  And not only sing them, but physically PERFORM while singing those lyrics to those 20,000 people?  Focusing on trying to convey emotion, energy, and enthusiasm while simultaneously trying to remember and sing those lyrics?

I don't give a damn how much money you're making or how many times you've rehearsed those songs, you try facing that pressure every single night and see if you can remember every single word.

As always a smart post from Dizzy
Cmpletley agree with you

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 06:55:38 PM »

I couldn't care less whether they are used or not, but how did the Beatles manage to preform 15 albums worth of material without teleprompters......what about the Rolling Stones many years of touring prior to the use of teleprompters??

I just think they seem a little lazy
estranged.1098
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 11:46:14 PM »

I couldn't care less whether they are used or not, but how did the Beatles manage to preform 15 albums worth of material without teleprompters......what about the Rolling Stones many years of touring prior to the use of teleprompters??

I'm guessing you've never seen Axl or the Beatles perform live, because it doesn't take much to know the difference.
So Relax
Opening Act

Have another Beer!!

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 02:38:11 AM »

I don't know how many of you are performers but those who are will probably realise this is not laziness or whatever its more a case of spur of the moment.... we all have blanks in thinking somethimes and usually its over things or names we know extraordinarily well.  I know for myself whilst performing something may happen like a malfunction or a wrong chord that puts me out a bit and then regrouping can be a problem. in front of a large audience i would imagine it could be a little bit more dramatic - as someone said they get paid a bit for this - if something goes wrong they can't stop and start again they must continue and a little assistance whether required or not never goes astray.

Peace out

matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 04:37:47 AM »

Nah there's nothing wrong with them. But having to religiously rely on them isn't to good

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: