Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 41076 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2021, 01:08:06 PM »

What if GN'R released a song they worked on in the 1990s that was never finished and released? Would it be worse? Because it's older. Or better because it would be Axl, Duff and Slash (before they left the band)?

I guess these rules are kinda flexible.  hihi

/jarmo

I don't think better or worse... I was one of the people that based on older interviews (Duff on Stern) and the use of "Jackie Chan" as a working title, thought that HardSkool could have been from that 1995-1997 time frame. That doesn't make HardSkool better or worse, just would have given a glimpse at would could have been as a follow up to UYI.

Slash writing over a melody is Slash writing over a melody... does it matter if it started as a Duff idea, or a Josh Freese idea? No, BUT it would be nice to get something that started as a idea by one of them and kicked around by all of them post 2016...

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2021, 01:50:56 PM »

Slash writing over a melody is Slash writing over a melody... does it matter if it started as a Duff idea, or a Josh Freese idea? No, BUT it would be nice to get something that started as a idea by one of them and kicked around by all of them post 2016...

I guess I'm not so concerned about when an idea appeared. If it wasn't used and/or released... If Slash has a riff he wrote in 1991 that he never used and records it with GN'R. Great!

If it's from 2021. Also great!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2021, 02:02:41 PM »

It's absolutely ridiculous the lengths some people will go to justify this band's lack of musical creativity.

Let me explain to those who are inclined to make shit up.

I'm not justifying anything. I don't have to. The band does what they want. Either that upsets you, or it doesn't. Simple as that.

You're upset that GN'R doesn't live together, or sit in a circle writing songs together? Tough luck. But it's not that uncommon that bands use songs that were finished or nearly finished, before recording them. As I pointed out. Smiley

I think the big difference in the comparison is that while Brian Jones died and you got 2 replacement players in that spot... the unreleased music was written by and performed by what everyone in the world considers The Rolling Stones (Mick, Keith, Wyman, and Watts). Any "new" music released by GnR that has been on the shelf for the last 22 years will have been written by people that "most" people don't even know had a year or two stint in Guns N Roses in the late 90's.

5 almost 6 years after the reunion I think people want to hear what Axl, Slash, and Duff can do to follow up UYI. In the meantime I'm happy to either hear the CD material as has been recorded by the CD lineup, or Slash and Duff tweaking it... but HardSkool and Absurd aren't Tattoo Me

They had to get an album out because they had a tour. So they used available material since it seemed like the best option.

What if GN'R released a song they worked on in the 1990s that was never finished and released? Would it be worse? Because it's older. Or better because it would be Axl, Duff and Slash (before they left the band)?

I guess these rules are kinda flexible.  hihi

/jarmo

hihi

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2021, 02:21:44 PM »

I'm basing this on what Slash said, that not even one riff came out of all these years on the road.

It's amazing to me how people are reading things into what Slash said that aren't there. He said they have not sat together and worked on a new album. Not that nobody is writing material for one.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »

I think Slash’s guitar playing is fantastic. Do I think his other stuff over the years outside of Guns is up to Gun’s standards? I have to be honest and say no. On the other hand, I do think that the vast majority of the instrumentals from the locker leaks (sorry Jarmo) are absolutely worthy of GnR. I’m excited to see what Slash and Duff can add, though I do think many of the tracks are perfect as they are; they just need some vocals.

LOL. Sorry but no, those unfinished ideas don't even come close to the brilliance of Snakepit or VR. The majority of those instrumentals were not even half finished, just one or two little chord progressions to them and that's it. Even the more finished ones still needed a LOT of work. Even the ones that have been drummed up a lot like Atlas Shrugged and Soul Monster were pretty underwhelming TBH. That said, Slash's mid-section added to HS vastly improved the song, so I'm still interested to hear them if they decide to use them.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »

My bet is if they dont get Axl to work on new music written by this lineup 2022 will be the last year of this reunion.

What a ridiculous statement. Roll Eyes

Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2021, 06:21:16 PM »

I'm basing this on what Slash said, that not even one riff came out of all these years on the road.

It's amazing to me how people are reading things into what Slash said that aren't there. He said they have not sat together and worked on a new album. Not that nobody is writing material for one.

He said they haven't worked on completely new songs, just the ones Axl has in the vault. And that's what bothers me.
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2021, 12:35:28 AM »

He said they haven't worked on completely new songs, just the ones Axl has in the vault. And that's what bothers me.
Exactly....I think Slash was pretty clear on what he said. 
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2021, 12:44:17 AM »

"SLASH Says GUNS N' ROSES Has Yet To Start Writing New Music", sounds clear to me.....sure, as individuals they may always be writing stuff that can be used and brought in later. However, given Slash wrote an entire album during the reunion  but couldn't even say (Yeah I penned a few things for Guns)doesn't exactly provide any hopeful speculation for me!
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2021, 02:09:42 AM »

Read his words very carefully, this is a direct quote:

"As far as new GUNS is concerned, we haven't even gotten to that point of really in earnest sitting down and writing,"

Nowhere does he say that ideas aren't floating around. We know for a fact from previous interviews that he has explicitly said he sets aside riffs for Guns separate from SMKC riffs. He's saying they haven't sat down together to actually put their ideas together.

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:41 AM »

"As far as new GUNS is concerned, we haven't even gotten to that point of really in earnest sitting down and writing,"

Nowhere does he say that ideas aren't floating around. We know for a fact from previous interviews that he has explicitly said he sets aside riffs for Guns separate from SMKC riffs. He's saying they haven't sat down together to actually put their ideas together.

So you think a new album is imminent based on that comment? It seems clear to me that he's saying they are at square 1 regarding new music, which is weird since they've been back together for 6 years now. It's as close to saying "we really haven't done jack shit for a new album" as you can get, IMO. Obviously they won't say that because they want to keep the interest/hope alive and keep dangling that carrot for the next tour.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2021, 07:02:03 AM »

New music? They released two new songs this year.

We had nothing for years. And then once there is something, some decide that's not "new music" and go on and on about how the band didn't write any new music.

Maybe the plan is to release singles instead of an album immediately followed by "when's the next album coming?" comments? Who knows...

2016-2020: We need new music. Change the setlist
2021 (Band plays two just released songs during the tour): That's not new music. What about an album?

Gotta love it.

We lived through a similar era with Chinese Democracy. All people wanted was "new music" only to realize GN'R in the 2000s wasn't the new music they wanted.  Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2021, 07:39:05 AM »

New music? They released two new songs this year.

We had nothing for years. And then once there is something, some decide that's not "new music" and go on and on about how the band didn't write any new music.

Maybe the plan is to release singles instead of an album immediately followed by "when's the next album coming?" comments? Who knows...

2016-2020: We need new music. Change the setlist
2021 (Band plays two just released songs during the tour): That's not new music. What about an album?

Gotta love it.

We lived through a similar era with Chinese Democracy. All people wanted was "new music" only to realize GN'R in the 2000s wasn't the new music they wanted.  Cheesy

/jarmo

As long as people keep calling for new music.  Plenty of bands out there nobody cares if they put out music or not.  We're good, keep calling.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2021, 08:29:11 AM »

As long as people keep calling for new music.  Plenty of bands out there nobody cares if they put out music or not.  We're good, keep calling.  Cheesy

Yeah. Guess complaining about the lack or new music means there's demand. But in the last 30+ years we've realized that the new music the band has put out hasn't been what some of those people seem to want.

GN'R Lies wasn't Appetite, Use Your Illusion I & II should've been one album, Oh My God was too industrial, Chinese Democracy wasn't GN'R, Hard Skool is old etc etc....

In essence, you can't please everyone. So do what feels right. Smiley

/jarmo

Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2021, 11:56:11 AM »

Ok, but being practical, that means, at least in my point of view, that a new album won't see the light of day in the near future.

You'd think that, in 6 years they've been together, they would have "sat down and put their ideas together".

Note that, to me, the problem is not reworking old songs, I'm fine with that, but I expected NOT ONLY that, but fresh new ideas coming from the THREE of them. Their talents complementing each other's.

Having Slash do some guitar work over someone else's song is fine, I'm glad we got that, but to me that's undeursing his talent and this band's real potential.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »

Ok, but being practical, that means, at least in my point of view, that a new album won't see the light of day in the near future.

You'd think that, in 6 years they've been together, they would have "sat down and put their ideas together".

Note that, to me, the problem is not reworking old songs, I'm fine with that, but I expected NOT ONLY that, but fresh new ideas coming from the THREE of them. Their talents complementing each other's.

Having Slash do some guitar work over someone else's song is fine, I'm glad we got that, but to me that's undeursing his talent and this band's real potential.

You have to think that Axl has no more a great interest in gnr and has no more fun in doin it, he said it and he shew it many times. Last time it was when he sang with ac dc... Try to wonder if he sang in the mickey mouse style what could had happened. And he was even open to write new stuff with ac dc.  But when it comes to gnr, you know, who cares. I think he's both lazy and overwhelmed by everything happened in these years with gnr. I think he's happy to be back with slash and making people happy (and his bank account too) is a gratifying thing. We just have to wait, this will be their last album in any case, so better for us if it's something good and not something put out just to satisfy people. Their potential has already been 30 years ago. Enjoy these 2 songs, be realistic  beer.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »

Why do some disregard the fact that they spent 2016 and 2017 touring the world? The first proper break in touring was probably early 2018.

I remember being home for about two weeks from end of May to early December in 2017. In total. So it's safe to assume recording and writing new music wasn't a priority for some time.

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »

You have to think that Axl has no more a great interest in gnr and has no more fun in doin it, he said it and he shew it many times.

You sound like someone who knows that for a fact.

Oh, sorry. Wait a minute.....

You have no idea. Cheesy

Did you attend any of the 2021 shows? No?
Did you talk to him and ask? No?

And yet you pretend like you know this....

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2021, 01:29:52 PM »

Yeah. Guess complaining about the lack or new music means there's demand. But in the last 30+ years we've realized that the new music the band has put out hasn't been what some of those people seem to want.

GN'R Lies wasn't Appetite, Use Your Illusion I & II should've been one album, Oh My God was too industrial, Chinese Democracy wasn't GN'R, Hard Skool is old etc etc....

In essence, you can't please everyone. So do what feels right. Smiley

/jarmo

The way I see it.  It's something created.  Some like it, some don't.  Some want it to always be the same and some are willing to take a walk on the wild side.  Just the talk that goes round.

But I notice you're online and jumping in there a lot.  Snowed in or is there smoke on the wind?  Yeah, I like to read between the lines.   hihi  I'm not the only one who does that.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2021, 01:35:13 PM »

You have to think that Axl has no more a great interest in gnr and has no more fun in doin it, he said it and he shew it many times.

You sound like someone who knows that for a fact.

Oh, sorry. Wait a minute.....

You have no idea. Cheesy

Did you attend any of the 2021 shows? No?
Did you talk to him and ask? No?

And yet you pretend like you know this....

/jarmo

No it's just my opinion: i know u know axl and u talk to him and u had fun with him and you surely know what's going on in his mind, but it doesnt change the fact that he made 1 album in 30 years. 1. If it was his main working life target "lazyness" is the only word that comes to my mind. But You don't have to be sherlock holmes to understand  something that to me it's pretty clear.  How many albums slash has made (and a new 1 coming, wasn't he busy in tour? Ah!)?  And I'm not talking about quality, I'm talking about throwing yourself into something with passion showing some dedication. Something that in my opinion is lacking. But again, it's ok, there's nothing wrong in that, it is what it is, he can do whatever he wants to do, either my opinion is wrong or right... That's why i'm warning people: don't ask, dont expect anything, history speaks for itself... it's crazy to think that someone is going to change his way of doing his things just because u want to. Waste of time, move on.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: