Your GN'R highlights?

(1/134) > >>

jarmo:
Since it seems to be really quiet in the GN'R world at the moment I thought we could do this little thing. It's probably been done a few times already, but I'm old and I forget things. ;)

List your GN'R highlight(s). It could be the first show you saw, the first time you heard a song, the time you bought a GN'R album, the first time you saw a GN'R video or maybe something completely different....

As an example I'll list some personal GN'R highlights:

- Getting Appetite For Destruction on tape after seeing "Paradise City" on MTV. It changed my life.

- August 16th, 1991. My first concert and also my first (and so far only) GN'R show. I remember the houselights during Rocket Queens, hearing Estranged and that there was no review in the paper the day after (GN'R didn't let them take pics so they didn't write a review).

- September 16th, 1991. School ended at 3pm, I went to the record store and bought UYI 1 & 2 on LP. I recognized some of the songs from the show a month earlier.

- April 20th, 1992. Sitting at home watching the The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS Awareness.

- January 14th, 2001. Rock In Rio 3. I listened to this on a shitty stream. Got cut off quite a lot but that didn't matter. I was excited to hear some new songs.

- August 24th, 2002. Pukkelpop, I have to mention this because it's kinda special even though I wasn't even there. I thought the first persons who e-mailed me day after had some problems with their hearing....

- August 29th, 2002. GN'R closing the VMAs. I remember talking to Kiki and reading the board before and after GN'R's performance. We had lots of people online that day/night. I didn't care if Axl didn't have his best day, I was just excited to see him back on tv.

/jarmo

Falcon:
This is a great idea Jarmo!

Seeing GNR on the UYI tour in Oklahoma City.
The Smashing Pumpkins opened and got booed unmercifully
offstage.  GNR went on stage at 11:20 after the tickets said they'd go on "around 9:00" or something to that effect.

The VMA's last year were exciting as well.  Finally seeing what the new band actually looked like as a unit was quite a thrill.  Realizing Robin Finck might quite possibly be the coolest contemporary guitar player out there...

popcorn:
March ?, 1993- Iowa City, Iowa. Saw Gnr there and it is still the bar by which i judge concerts. The funny thing is, I had somewhat soured on the whole GnR thing at that point just because they seemed to be completely out of touch with the world. U know, Axl wearing sport coats & biker shorts, those crappy TokyoDome videos, Izzy leaving, etc....Hell, even the Brian May band who opened totally sucked & did some horrible bitch fight thing in his set. Then it happened, they stormed on with 'It's So Easy' and rocked a 15,000+ crowd like no other band I've ever seen. No stupid wardrobe changes, an awesome acoustic set in the middle, and a couple of encores. It was unbelievable, it felt like watching cartoon characters on stage, Axl & Slash were larger than life up there. Axl was in top form, a few rants, some acrobatics on the couches & piano & to see a legend like Slash rip through his own material is something i will never, ever forget.

bill213:
Getting Appetite when I was 8 years old after seeing Welcome To The Jungle on MTV.  
Hearing Oh My God. because I thought the greatest band in teh world was ready to make a comeback
1-1-01 because I stayed up all night till i got a review of how it went.  And when I first heard that Chinese Democracy mp3 how I thought this band fucking rocks
12-6-02 Setting at the First Union Center in Philly kinda laughing at the fact Axl didn't show up.....Even thou I didn't get to see him it was just kinda funny ya know.

charliedontsurf.:
-Getting my first GnR tape when I was 8. AFD.

-Watching the Tokyo vids. First time I saw them perform live. Watched them with my parents and remember cursing Matt and his half hour drum solo.

-Trying to get tix to see them in Edmonton, 1993. Sold out too fast and I was only in grade three.

-Seeing TSI in store and going nuts.

-Finding OMG on the net and recording it on a tape and listening to it like crazy.

-Skipping school to buy Live Era...in my GnR shirt of course.

-Vegas, Return of the Jedi... waiting up all night like crazy.

-Vancouver, Nov.7/02. My first GnR concert... nevermind... my first GNR RIOT!!!

-Tacoma, Wa, Nov.9/02. Actually my first GnR concert. I took a Greyhound from Vancouver and I arrived 5 minutes before GnR came on. Surreal experience. Paid 110 Canadian dollars for a ticket, and 100 Canadian for a shirt and bandana...

-Philly... na na na na na na na na Hey hey hey, goodbye...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page