Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 06:26:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227841 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Thread-locking?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread-locking?  (Read 2158 times)
realtime visionary
Opening Act

Now we all know better.

« on: September 03, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »

I haven't been posting here very long, but I lurked for a good while before I signed up to add my two cents and I'm honestly curious as to thread-locking procedures on the forums.

From what I can tell, the topics sealed up the quickest and topics that inevitably lead to warned or banned users are ones that involve homosexuality, "personal" questions about the band, and "unimportant" questions about the band, and I'd like to know what all qualifies, when it comes to the shit in the quotation marks. What's the difference between a what are those shoes he's wearing? thread versus a how old was Axl/Robin/Slash/Ron/Izzy/whoever when they got laid for the first time thread? Does reposting the photos for people that, that one guy took of Axl's mailbox and front gate really qualify as a stalker post when the photog in question was undoubtedly standing on a public road taking pictures of shit that just barely touches Axl's property line? Are we not allowed to counter the outside-fandom opinion that we're all a bunch of gay-fearing jackasses by publicly displaying openmindness to fellow fans' opinions?

And hey. I'm not trying to start shit or get myself warned or banned or whatever happens when someone says something that seems inflammatory; I'm just trying to present this stuff intelligently and literately and hoping people on the board might just join me in some friendly debate as to what and what isn't "socially acceptable" at HTGTH.

Knowing you, it won't change a damn thing, but there was a time...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »

From what I can tell, the topics sealed up the quickest and topics that inevitably lead to warned or banned users are ones that involve homosexuality,

Where do you get this from?

Maybe you think we have a problem with the subject because a thread got locked thanks to some posters not being able to discuss the topic?

"personal" questions about the band, and "unimportant" questions about the band, and I'd like to know what all qualifies, when it comes to the shit in the quotation marks.

Here's a few things I don't want on this board:

- Posts about personal stuff (addresses, phone numbers, pictures of the current or former band members' homes etc.)

You get the idea. Anything personal, should stay that way. Respect their right to have privacy.

- Gossip posts about people who aren't in the band. Posts about ex-wives, girlfriends, people working for the band etc. Again, if you feel like reading gossip about somebody Axl might have gone out with, go somewhere else.

Topics that get locked are usually things that are posted just to cause trouble, topics that nobody knows the answer to so it becomes all about pointless speculation and gossip, topics that have turned into private chats between a few board members, topics that have turned into fights etc.

A topic about Axl's shoes might seem pointless to many, but at least it's not about stalking him.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
realtime visionary
Opening Act

Now we all know better.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »

The next time I have several hours to spend combing through the boards, looking for the locked threads that led to this judgment, then maybe I'll do it and post the links; this board's busy, which is an awesome thing but sadly unfortunate when you're looking for something you saw and noted in passing. It's a shame that some posters can't discuss it maturely, but the problem with locking a thread so quickly in that case is that the people in question aren't ever presented with an at least semi-intelligent, contradicting opinion. They may not ever be able to expand their minds to different points of view but where's the harm in trying for it? From what I can see, the majority of people "contributing" with judgmental posts are of age. They're adults. They should be able to handle (or at least get to prove the fact that they can't handle) other opinions.

But you know, this isn't my board and I do commend you for keeping up with everything here.  ok  Seriously, thanks for having a cool place for GNR fans.

And that's fine. I dig it. Privacy's important and unless house photos are printed in well-known publications, you don't want 'em here, that's cool. I'd never post anyone's number on here anyway, that's going way too far and I think pretty much everyone agrees with you on that one. I'm with you on the gossip issue, too, and hey, I actually was interested in the shoes thread, I want a pair of those in red. I was just curious as to the system for locking, warning, and banning here because to people not in the know, it seems like those cards are just played awful random. Thanks for clearing shit up.

Knowing you, it won't change a damn thing, but there was a time...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: