Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227840 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Adler Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler Question  (Read 2269 times)
gnrfanxxx
Rocker

The majority

« on: January 25, 2007, 06:38:16 PM »

now ive heard that adler formed a new version of roadcrew after gnr. i cant find any material on them did they make a cd or what?

where does it leave me, when you dont believe in me?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 03:03:43 AM »

Don't know exactly, but I thought Davy Vain was in that band. And he also made a solo album which includes Steven playing drums on a song called "Breakdown" which you can find and listen to here:

http://www.davyvain.com/jukebox1.htm it's #7

Here's a cool interview with him mentioning Steven:

8.  Let's go back a ways. When VAIN started playing the San Francisco scene who were the cool bands you hung with, who came up from Hollywood and do you have any good Poison or Guns N' Roses stories of their gigs up in the Bay Area?  

Well Guns N? Roses probably because they had the most hype. That was probably our first big local show in San Francisco when we got the spot with them. The promoter thought we were kind of cool and we were sort of different. I remember when we played with them Steven (Adler) and Duff checked out our whole show from the side of the stage. And then afterwards Steven said he loved our band so much. We had no idea that they were going to explode to level that they did, and at the time they were a lot more glam, more make-up more over the top, which was kind of the street thing and at the time that was that look. I just kept in contact with them, gave them VAIN swag, tapes, and hung out at a few rehearsals with them. Little did I know that I was going to end up in a band with Steven.

9.  Speaking of GnR. Steven Adler was ousted from Guns and then put together ROAD CREW with members of VAIN. Tell us about that project. How did it get started, why did it end, and is Adler a handful like everyone claims?   

Well, you know I was at one of the very last practices that they did, and they were working on some of the stuff for Use Your Illusion. I always thought, one thing that was kind of cool about a Gn?R practice was that their roadies had cocktails mixed on their amps waiting for them before they even walked in (Laughing). Adler did seem like he was a little bit of mess at the end you know, and the playing was pretty shaky. And Axl usually didn?t show up at the rehearsals is what I heard from him (Steven). And so, that was kind of near the end, and I knew that it was getting pretty serious. So, a month later, when Island Records got sold, it fucked up our deal and everything, he (Steven) heard about it, so he tracked my number down somewhere and said he wanted to start his own band and really wanted me to come sing for him. And he really sounded together on the phone. So then his manager (Princes? manager Joe Ruffalo) called me and said he heard the VAIN stuff. And at this time I hadn?t even considered it, but I was flattered, because even his name alone at the time was so huge. He was a huge star, and a lot of people don?t know how gigantic Guns n? Roses was, unless you were there. So, I told the guys in my band and my manager, and she said you seriously got to check this thing out or you might regret it. So, I said, hey I just can?t leave the band, and at the time the band (VAIN) was in real dire straits, and the rehearsals were a downer. We had already been working on a 3rd record, and the 2nd record hadn?t even come out yet. So we had this big meeting with the band, our lawyer and our manager, everyone talked about it. And everyone said to me, you got to check this out. So it wasn?t like I just split. VAIN was/is a very tight knit group of people. We all grew up in the same town Santa Rosa about 60 miles north of San Francisco, even our roadies were buddies we knew our whole life. It was a hard thing for me to do, because VAIN is like my baby. But then I had all these people saying you got to try this. And my lawyer said, ?Take as many of the guys with you as you can. And if it doesn?t work out then ban it. That?s how the music business works. You can?t pass up this opportunity.?

So he jammed with us, and he sounded really good but not great, and I just figured he was a little of practice. So I figured I would do this. And we talked to him, and he had the name and I had all these songs. I originally came down with Jamie (Vain guitar player) and the 23 of us would jam. And we stayed with Adler at his pad, and you know I really grew to love Steven as a person, he?s a great guy, and I got really close to him. We were jamming and had to get a bass player so I called Ash (Vain bass player) everyday and begged him to come down. And Ash kept saying; ?I can?t do it, because this is the one of the reasons Vain is not together.? So I said: ?Okay Ash, if you don?t come up and play with us just one day, then you?re not my best friend. Just fly out for one day, and then if you want to walk out, I?ll never bother you again.? So I totally quilted him into doing it (laughing). So when Ash finally came down he said: ?man this does sound great.? So we were jamming and we had a pretty smoking band, and then Adler ran into a few speed bumps, and had a few relapses. But living in Los Angeles at that time was like living a video everyday, the Rainbow, chicks at the house non-stop, dropping some off, and picking up new ones. We actually had the lighting in Adler?s house to mimic the lighting of the Rainbow. So just incase someone came by they would not be disappointed. So, that was a lot of fun. But we worked pretty hard, and almost killed Steven a couple of times. When he had run into a speed bump and been a bad boy, I was like: ?you?re going to fucking rehearsal right now man!? And I?d drag him down and we?d just work on songs and I?d be yelling: ?Double time, now keep it up Steven!? I?m surprised we didn?t kill him you know (laughing). So, we got him in pretty good shape. We did a lot of show cases for labels, and usually no one says much at these as everyone sits there all quiet except for the lawyers, and Steven?s yelling out: ?so man, what do you think, this band fucking rocks. I don?t know what your fucking problem is, but you need to sign us right now!? (Davy is now laughing hysterically).  And they (the labels) would just look at him like; this guy is out of his fucking mind! (more laughter). I was definitely getting pretty chaotic, and it was a crazy year, of crazy shit, non-stop. Every day was a new thing, and you just had to laugh. Because Steven was such a good guy, funny guy with a good heart, and even when he totally fucked shit up it was sort of comical. We tried everything you know. We?d see some shady car pulling up with a drug dealer in it, so we?d have one of our roadies run out there with a camera to start taking pictures of him and his car. We figured he?d run away, but instead he gets out and starts posing for photos giving the metal horns and asking: ?is this gonna be in a Metal Mag ?right on!? So that didn?t really work either. (more laughter)

Last time you talked to Steven Adler = 9 months ago, and he always says the same
thing, ?Dude, we got to get those songs out, they?re beautiful!?
gnrfanxxx
Rocker

The majority

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:06:12 PM »

thanks

where does it leave me, when you dont believe in me?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: