Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Kerrang! article ? Soundtrack For Destruction
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kerrang! article ? Soundtrack For Destruction  (Read 13739 times)
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »

There Was A Time is, for me, far and away the best song on Chinese Democracy.  It would be top ten stuff for me.  What else from that album would I put in a top twenty?  Street Of Dreams, maybe Catcher in the Rye.

Thanks for putting this up, Spirit.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »

Thanks Spirit.  Interesting article for sure.  It was weird how they mention that Mr. Brownstone was the band's 1st UK single.  It was the b-side, that's true, with the A-side, and the first single, being It's So Easy. 

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:02 PM »

Thanks Spirit.  Interesting article for sure.  It was weird how they mention that Mr. Brownstone was the band's 1st UK single.  It was the b-side, that's true, with the A-side, and the first single, being It's So Easy. 

They probably meant it was on the first single, but yeah they're not accurate. They do mention under It's So Easy that it's the first single.

Edit: just checked on wikipedia. It actually says It's So Easy/Mr. Brownstone was released as a double A-side.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:28:53 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »

Thanks Spirit.

I would put Better in there too. And maybe even some of the covers, like KOHD, because it's more like their own song and was a huge hit.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »

Thanks Spirit.

I would put Better in there too. And maybe even some of the covers, like KOHD, because it's more like their own song and was a huge hit.

Actually, they did have a section with covers (which I didn't include) that gave a shout out to Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Live And Let Die, It's Alright, Sympathy For The Devil and Attitude.

Sweetness is a virtue
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »

Thanks Spirit for taking the time.

I would have would have put Better, and or Madagascar. But such as it is music and subjective, but really can't complain when its all GnFnR!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »

First off- thanks so much Spirit. Amazing job man. ok

I think a lot of the "right" songs are there. Glad they recognize the brilliance of "There Was A Time". Personally- I think "Sorry" is the other Chinese song that belongs within the Top 20. Always connects with casuals I've played it for- some even swearing it must be a UYI song they'd forgotten about.

Beyond that- for my money- and it isn't very "original", etc.- but "November Rain"  (Axl's most "genius moment" in rock history IMHO) and "SCOM" (band's sole #1) are the very best of the best. Think they're each ranked a bit too low here...

#GnFnR
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »

Thanks everyone! Nice to see it's appreciated. Smiley

I agree some songs might be placed higher/lower. When I thought about how my list would be, I realized how difficult it really is, especially the top 10.

Sweetness is a virtue
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »

Awesome job, thanks....
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »

Yeah, SCOM sure should be higher.

Thanks Spirit.

Actually, they did have a section with covers (which I didn't include) that gave a shout out to Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Live And Let Die, It's Alright, Sympathy For The Devil and Attitude.
Oh, I see. Fair enough. Interesting to see that they put It's Alright there. Maybe to recognize Live Era?

The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 06:20:52 AM »

Third version of Don't Cry ! Didn't know that

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
Princess Leia
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2016, 07:47:30 AM »

Third version of Don't Cry ! Didn't know that

It?s not really a third version. It?s the original but it?s a demo so it sounds different than the one in UYI I
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »

Yep. I believe the demo version of "Don't Cry" passed among hardcore fans during the wait for UYI...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:10:59 AM by Continental_Drift » Logged

#GnFnR
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »

And its featured in the ending credits of the Making Of Don't Cry video.

The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »

Right that explains it.... Not really a 3rd version at all. Didn't think I'd miss something like that

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »

They probably meant it was on the first single, but yeah they're not accurate. They do mention under It's So Easy that it's the first single.

Edit: just checked on wikipedia. It actually says It's So Easy/Mr. Brownstone was released as a double A-side.

True, the physical records all say AA on the Mr. Brownstone side instead of B.  And the ads indicate a double A side too.  As a collector I'm very embarrassed to have missed that.  Thanks for setting me straight and thanks again for transcribing the article. 

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »

Haha, no sweat. I actually learned something new as well  ok

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »

I don't know if it's any point in making a new thread as it generates pretty much the same discussions, but here is Spin's ranking of the GN'R songs.

Quite different than some others I've seen before... a few strange placings I thought.

http://www.spin.com/2016/02/every-guns-n-roses-song-ranked-axl-rose-slash-appetite-for-destruction-list/

Sweetness is a virtue
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »

I don't know if it's any point in making a new thread as it generates pretty much the same discussions, but here is Spin's ranking of the GN'R songs.

Quite different than some others I've seen before... a few strange placings I thought.

http://www.spin.com/2016/02/every-guns-n-roses-song-ranked-axl-rose-slash-appetite-for-destruction-list/
Thanks!
I like how they put some CD songs above others, even though making fun of them most of the time. But as much as I love Locomotive, I wouldnt put it above SCOM.

Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »

I enjoyed that!  I mean, everyone can quibble about the rankings of the songs (I would have Double Talkin' Jive much higher, for instance), but that's not really the point.  The writing was good - captures just how fucking absurd, self-indulgent, hubristic, insane and brilliant this band has mean.  Fucking kazoos!   Cool

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: