Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:19:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anniversary / deluxe editions - Yay or Nay? - a discussion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anniversary / deluxe editions - Yay or Nay? - a discussion  (Read 34943 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »

UYI....nothing here really other than remaster, box together and add the UYI tour documentary as a dvd...

I have no proof, but considering both CDs are at almost the maximum capacity of what a CD holds, maybe there would be space for alternative longer mixes of some of the songs....

I would also like if, for a Spaghetti re-release, they released as bonus tracks other songs they had recorded for that album but never released. Gilby said they recorded a lot of songs, including a lot of Iggy Pop and Hanoi Rocks covers that didn't make the cut - It'd be cool to see those released on a Spaghetti Incident re-release.

I don't know if they ever finished those.
I know there were rumors of Down On The Street (The Stooges) and A Beer And A Cigarette (Hanoi Rocks).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »

UYI....nothing here really other than remaster, box together and add the UYI tour documentary as a dvd...

I have no proof, but considering both CDs are at almost the maximum capacity of what a CD holds, maybe there would be space for alternative longer mixes of some of the songs....

I would also like if, for a Spaghetti re-release, they released as bonus tracks other songs they had recorded for that album but never released. Gilby said they recorded a lot of songs, including a lot of Iggy Pop and Hanoi Rocks covers that didn't make the cut - It'd be cool to see those released on a Spaghetti Incident re-release.

I don't know if they ever finished those.
I know there were rumors of Down On The Street (The Stooges) and A Beer And A Cigarette (Hanoi Rocks).

/jarmo

Gilby: "While we were on the road, we'd go and record a couple more songs here and there. We actually did a couple of Hanoi Rocks songs that never made it, and a bunch of Iggy Pop songs that never made it, though one did make it. We recorded a bunch of stuff over a year, every now and then. It was cool."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »

Those titles I posted are the ones I read about. I don't know what the other songs would be....
Neither do I know if they were finished with vocals and all.  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »

Wow. Thanks, never read that before. Wonder what the other Hanoi song was. Would indeed be nice to hear. I would like to hear the full Appetite version it was rumoured the "new" lineup recorded.  Maybe they could release it as a double? Or a tripple,  with polished versions of Appetite era recordings of song like Don't Cry, November Rain, Back Of Bitch etc.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 10:14:27 PM »

Deluxe Editions, Double Album:

* Disc1: Hits From 1987-2008

* Dic2: SideB

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »

So you're saying you want a Best Of compilation with two discs? One with B sides.

/jarmo

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »

Appetite For Destruction
Disc 1 - original album
Disc 2 - live tracks/demos/alternates
Disc 3 - more live tracks/demos/alternates
Disc 4 - live in London 1987

GN'R Lies
Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 - live in Hollywood 1986
Disc 4 - live in Tokyo 1988

Use Your Illusion I
Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 & 4 - live in Indiana 1991

Use Your Illusion II
Disc 1 - original album
Disc 3 & 4 - live in Argentina 1993

Chinese Democracy
Disc 1 - original album
Dics 2 - The Remix Album
Disc 3 - Chinese Democracy performed live (selected "best versions" cuts featuring the 01, 02, 06, 07 and 09 lineups)
Disc 4 & 5 - live in Rio 2001

Chinese Democracy II
Disc 1 - Chinese Democracy II
Disc 2 - demos/alternates from I and II
Disc 3 - more demos/alternates from I and II
Disc 4 & 5 - live in Tokyo 2007

...or something similar. Great thread. :thumbsup:
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »

I'm somewhat surprised that Guns never did a cover of a song from Queen considering Axl is a huge Freddie Mercury fan.
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »

I would happily snap up anything Guns release Jarmo, but I'd just hope that anything released wouldn't be at the expense of a new album.

Of course, if the Chinese deluxe reissue included the other unreleased material from that era it would be a win-win for me and countless other Guns fans!  Grin

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »

Same, I would like any new GNR release. If they do any anniversary or deluxe editions, I would like to see some unheard stuff be on it.

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »

I think what Nirvana and Pantera (to a lesser extent) have done with anniversary editions of albums is exactly how a re-release should be.

Demos, live recordings, alternate mixes, video of making the albums, video of new interviews with the members who played on the album, unreleased songs that didn't make the cut (Crash Diet, Ain't Goin' Down, Just Another Sunday etc) are all things I would love to see on a GN'R special edition album.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »

i will buy any cd re release hands down, even if just for alternative artwork, but boy oh boy if it had the remixes, or even just live versions... man alive. id go haywire. anything with the cd title, and im buying. then again, if i just hear the chinese exchange students chatting in chinese around campus i poop my pants and go "its cd 2!!!... oh wait, damnit". loved the intro to cd.

the others, if they had new tracks that were never officially released, remixes, alternate takes, i would buy them hands down.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:46 PM »

There should also be a book detailing the recording sessions and a documentary to go along with it, this way people can have an idea of what they were working on at the time, and in what order they recorded the songs in.

Some box sets include handwritten lyrics that would be better off in a collection like this than hanging up in some Hard Rock or in some private collection that few people would ever get to see.

After the Led Zep companion discs came out, it would be cool to hear what GNR's alternates as well as the demos.

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »

There should also be a book detailing the recording sessions and a documentary to go along with it, this way people can have an idea of what they were working on at the time, and in what order they recorded the songs in.

Some box sets include handwritten lyrics that would be better off in a collection like this than hanging up in some Hard Rock or in some private collection that few people would ever get to see.

After the Led Zep companion discs came out, it would be cool to hear what GNR's alternates as well as the demos.

Absolutely agree. That would be too cool. Anniversery of CD is coming up... it would be the perfect time for a re release!

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »

Here's another thought. Sometimes in order to fit songs onto an album (LP, CD), they need to be shortened.

When have like a boxset, you obviously got more space. So maybe songs that fade out on the version we have on the albums, would be different if they didn't need to fade them out?

/jarmo

Hey that's an interesting idea. I have always cranked up the volume to get that last little bit of a song before it sinks into the abyss. Nighttrain for example keeps rocking really hard-would love to hear how it continued!

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »

I don't care for stuff like this, if however AFD would get some sort of re-release/box set I think Marc Canter's book should be included. Preferably an updated version with Axl's views/thoughts as well.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »

I don't care for stuff like this, if however AFD would get some sort of re-release/box set I think Marc Canter's book should be included. Preferably an updated version with Axl's views/thoughts as well.

That would be cool. Axl's inclusion for that book would be amazing.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »

Here's another thought. Sometimes in order to fit songs onto an album (LP, CD), they need to be shortened.

When have like a boxset, you obviously got more space. So maybe songs that fade out on the version we have on the albums, would be different if they didn't need to fade them out?

Hey that's an interesting idea. I have always cranked up the volume to get that last little bit of a song before it sinks into the abyss. Nighttrain for example keeps rocking really hard-would love to hear how it continued!

If CDs had been the standard in 1987, maybe that particular song would've been longer?
I think both Appetite and the Illusion albums have a number of tracks that fade out. Now, we don't know if they fade out because of time constraints or what.

/jarmo

The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 02:29:23 AM »

If CDs had been the standard in 1987, maybe that particular song would've been longer?
I think both Appetite and the Illusion albums have a number of tracks that fade out. Now, we don't know if they fade out because of time constraints or what.

/jarmo

You have to remember it was a d?but album, in my mind would cast doubt on the record company agreeing to "above average" song lengths even if the band wanted to make them longer. Of course, once the label had all the cash from AFD, the songs could be a long as the band wanted, indeed it was a case of "fuck it, make it a double..."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 06:07:11 AM »

Yeah, that's a reasonable theory. But whatever is true, you can't change the fact that the most popular formats at the time dictated just how much music they could put out at once. One LP (AFD) and then two CDs (UYI). Even though they could make 10 minute songs on the Illusions, they still had about 76 minutes of music on each CD. And therefore maybe some things had to be shortened (fade out etc.)?

Also worth noting that even though AFD was a debut album, it had six minute plus songs. Hardly the norm for what you were supposed to release?

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: