Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Best Izzy songs on ITUNES
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Izzy songs on ITUNES  (Read 7357 times)
Shotgun Blues
Banned
Opening Act

« on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »

What are the best rocking songs to get from Izzy on Itunes. He has so many albums and i was looking for a top ten list of must haves.
Shotgun Blues
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »

I got Ride on,Snafu, and Like a Dog
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »

Gotta Say is a good one  ok

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »

My favorite albums are:

JuJu Hounds
117 Degrees
On Down the Road
Fire...The Acoustic Album

As far as songs go:

Gotta Say
Time Gone By
Shuffle It All
Train Tracks
Take A Look at the Guy (Faces Cover w/Ronnie Wood)
On Down The Road
Sweet Caress
Coke'N
Been A Fix
Seems to Me
Shotgun Blues
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

Cool, Why isnt the Ju Ju Hounds album on ITUNES?
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »

Hmmm, you're right. I'm not sure. Maybe it's out of print, or was just never available on itunes to begin with.
I know Izzy releases his music exclusively on itunes now, but obviously not in '93, or whenever that came out.

Could probably find it pretty easily on ebay, or download.

Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »

a bit off topic, but we had an "Izzy sighting" (as we like to call them) in Lafayette, IN last week.

Chicago 11/15/11
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »

a bit off topic, but we had an "Izzy sighting" (as we like to call them) in Lafayette, IN last week.

Indy show tomorrow night? Coincidence?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »

Gotta Say
Shuffle It All
Sweet Caress
Coke'N

I second these choices, tho I wouldn't call them "rockin".  I'm not sure "rockin" is Izzy speciality per se.  That said, some of personal favorites are: 

Up Jumped the Devil
Cuttin the Rug
Here Before You
The Groper
Hell Song

Some of my absolute favorites are some of the live cuts, if you can find them, from his early 90's tour(s):

"Rocker"  http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=430

"Highway 49"

"Jivin Sister Fanny" http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=422

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »

Gotta Say
Shuffle It All
Sweet Caress
Coke'N

I second these choices, tho I wouldn't call them "rockin".  I'm not sure "rockin" is Izzy speciality per se.  That said, some of personal favorites are: 

Up Jumped the Devil
Cuttin the Rug
Here Before You
The Groper
Hell Song

Some of my absolute favorites are some of the live cuts, if you can find them, from his early 90's tour(s):

"Rocker"  http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=430

"Highway 49"

"Jivin Sister Fanny" http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=422

Good picks.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can't mention Jivin Sister Fanny w/o bringing up Mick Taylor's solo (1:10 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LNmR5Ja1sc

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »

Cause he doesn't have the distribution rights, Geffen has. That's why he also has 8 songs instead of 10 of the On Down The Road album on iTunes, the other 2 are covers which is a rights thing.

http://www.chopaway.com/ for Izzy info

Ju Ju Hounds (1992) - Very Stonesy and Faces sounding album, more vintage and different vocal style. All the post JJH albums sound more like Izzy himself imo. Highlights on this album are probably 'Somebody Knockin', 'Shuffle It All' and 'Train Tracks'.

117 degrees (1998) - It's got the most variety of all Izzy albums, acoustic, countryrock, rockabilly, surfrock, blues it's got it all. Production's more live and less dated sounding. Highlights are 'Old Hat', '117 degrees' and 'Methanol'.

Ride On (1999) - In the same vain as 117 degrees, only a bit less variety, more hardrock sounding. Lyrically it's got some very strong songs, Taz and Rick are playing just excellent on it.. to me it's a kind of desert sounding album. Highlights are 'Spazed', 'Needles' and 'Highway Zero'.

River (2001) - More country rock, bassy sounding album with 2 reggae cuts and acoustics. Not my personal favorite but to others it is. Highlights are 'Jump In Now', 'River' and 'Feelin' Alright'.

On Down The Road (2002) - This one is very Stonesy sounding, probably the most of all imo even more then JJH in a way. This one's usually rated in the top 3 of one's favorite list along with JJH and 117 degrees. Contains the song 'Sweet Caress' which is basically the most beautiful song Izzy has ever written.. the two covers on the album aren't listed on iTunes cause of legal rights. Other highlights are 'On Down The Road' and 'Coke'N'.

Like A Dog (2003) - The most GN'R and hardrock sounding album of all. This one is recorded right after Izzy spent time jamming with 'The Project' aka Slash and Duff. Actually he also brought these songs to them in ideas, but Izzy's own band worked them out to this. 'Bomb' is something Velvet Revolver also partially used on 'Do It For The Kids' and 'Snafu' is a song mentioned in Slash's bio. Other highlights are 'Just Don't Know' and 'Chop Away'.

Miami (2004/2005) - A bit sounding like 117 degrees or Ride On. Got much varation and some strong songs, but hasn't really been many's favorite as far as I can tell. Highlights are 'Buildings In The Sky', 'JR's Song' and 'Partly Cloudy'.

Fire (2007) - An awesome laidback acoustic rock album. Very basic a bit sounding like the Stones' acoustic Beggars Banquet songs. Highlights are 'Infrastruk', 'Seems To Me' and 'Box'. The latter two also feature Timo Kaltio on guitar.

Concrete (2008) - This one's got the less variety of all albums, eventhough it's got a dub and acoustic song. These songs are full of single note guitarlines all over the places compared to previous stuff. Highlights are 'Easy', 'Drove' and 'I Know'.

Smoke (2009) - This one is in terms of style inbetween JJH and 117 degrees I'd say, but the general sound is different then those (which goes for all Izzy's albums - each a unique sound/vibe) and more raw with vintage sounding guitars. Less modern ounding then Concrete or Like A Dog for example. Just like on the Fire' album Timo Kaltio plays on three songs. Highlights are 'Comfort Zone', 'Snow' and 'I'm Breathing In'.

Wave of Heat (2010) - Another gem on it's own, again a bit different then all the others, but this one's got a bit better production again compared to 'Smoke'.
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »

Indy show tomorrow night? Coincidence?

I was told it was a big maybe.  He lives in Cali and wasn't in Lafayette for very long.

I've been thinking about picking up some more of his music lately, so this thread is very helpful!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:57:50 PM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »

Concrete...is pretty sweet.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »

"Lot to Learn" and "Highway Zero" are my two favorite Izzy songs.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »

Was just listening to Izzy right now while surfin' HTGTH, so thought I'd add some of mine favourites:

Hell Song
Infrastruk
Bleedin'
Chop Away
Beat Up
Spazed
Needles
Run In
Seems To Me...
...and of course the beautiful Sweet Caress

That was just a drop in the lake though Tongue

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
3STRANG3D
Headliner

Nothing UnReal Just human

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »

I fuckin hate iTunes! I want them on a cd!!  yes   So everything released after 2002 is on iTunes only?

"There goes mama, spwashin in the wa-ta! no more fightin wit dad! no more restraining order! no more step-da-da! no more new brother! blow her kisses bye-bye! Say mommy you love her! " Eminem BITCH!!!
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 03:41:25 AM »

I fuckin hate iTunes! I want them on a cd!!  yes   So everything released after 2002 is on iTunes only?

Yes, however of Like A Dog (recorded 2003, released 2005) there are 1000 promo copies released. So it is possible to get a 2nd hand promo copy out there. The rest is iTunes only.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

All the cover art for his albums changed on the iTunes releases. Wonder why.

For example:
River original physical release:

iTunes:

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:45:13 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »

All the cover art for his albums changed on the iTunes releases. Wonder why.

/jarmo

The iTunes album pictures are also taken from photo sessions of the original albums. They are either selfshots or an acompying person took them, they where then edited to put into cover art format probably by himself too. Even the grey or blue Miami cover for example he took himself, it was taken at a abanded steel mill factory in Ojai CA.

I think it's really simple; He didn't have the original cover art digitally, so instead he used other pictures he had lyring around. For example the River flowercover pic on iTunes, that one is also related on a pic on the original artwork of the ODTR album. They're all pictures he took himself. He quickly had to put some cover picture along with the uploaded music to TuneCore and he choose that pic, don't think he really gave it more thought. Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: