Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227840 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's World
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's World  (Read 10156 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 01:34:03 PM »

Like Dee Snider once said, "I Wanna Rock".  Will Axl say, "Let's hit the dance floor".

Yes, he's gonna go on tour with Moby. They'll play raves in Europe and they'll get a reunited 2 Unlimited to open for them.  Or maybe Scooter.... hihi

/jarmo

LMAO!

jarmo's on form today!

As far as all this nonsense about Axl working on techno music..is it too much to ask for ONE PIECE of evidence to support this?

OMG was an experimental song and people read too much into it - and if thats techno than lets hope Axl's doing some more, OMG rocks.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 01:53:24 PM »

Yes, Izzy,  : ok:and I absolutely love Chinese democracy R?n?B, OMG. When I first heard Chinese democracy I felt like all my cells moving. That why I'm here.

Maybe we have completely different tastes. Undecided

As for techno-hip, I second /third Jarmo. I also think he was gathering ingredients. You may hate celery but in some cuisine, it does magic.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2004, 02:05:58 PM »

I say GNR should be anything Axl wants it to be. But I assure you, hip hop and dance won't be on the agenda. Times change and music changes, Axl just wants to evolve, and that's what GNR should do...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 02:06:40 PM »

Does anyone else see an irony in Axl not wanting to play rock Slash's way...and then promptly unveiling a song called 'The Blues' which is played a half step down and has a Slash-a-like solo...

How stupid is that?!  rofl

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
SunKing278
Headliner

The loveliest girls are always in your GN'R

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »

Indeed I could easily imagine Slash doing the solo on "The Blues."  Personally, I would prefer to see Axl make a pure rock record without all the bells and whistles.  "Oh My God" was an industrial/techno song, plain and simple, and I believe there would be an angry backlash from rock listeners if a whole album was released full of songs like that one.  Besides, the '90s are over and people want to rock again.  The original sound of Guns N'Roses is timeless and will never sound dated.  Stuff like "The Blues" and "Chinese Democracy" are perfectly acceptable by these standards.  I think it possible for Axl to update his sound a bit while staying within the rock n'roll parameters and not resorting to anything techno/hip-hop, and those two songs I mentioned are reasonable progressions of the GNR sound.  It will never be quite the same without The Master, though.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2004, 06:55:50 PM »

Name another ten year project that turned out to be so wonderful
Thats another misconception. This isnt a 10 yr project. The current lineup has been working solidly on the material since about 98/99. Then when bucket came did even more. Now you do the math. Thats 5-6 yrs.

Gnr from 94- 98 were a lost bunch. Lawsuits, band diffferences and then band member quitting. 94-98 are lost years that no1 is responsible for.

The tclock started in 98/99. It is now 2004. ALthough 5 yrs is a long time its not an absurd amount. Plus they have been working on 3 albums. And this the anticipation and expectations might have something to do with it.

Put that in the mix and there are your answers.
The time and the content of the material are the 2 biggest gnr misconceptions. Completely false. ALong with the hired guns shit but thats for another thread.

Does anyone else see an irony in Axl not wanting to play rock Slash's way...and then promptly unveiling a song called 'The Blues' which is played a half step down and has a Slash-a-like solo...

How stupid is that?!
Or i could turn around and say, Doesnt slash look like an idiot when he continually says how he left because axl was on a techno craze when its clearly not the case.

im sick n tired of this axl vs slash bullshit. its gay and pointless. its very simple....they both have different musical directions and philosophies. neither is right or wrong. What will justify eachs musical descisions is the music they make.

Contraband is almost upn us and when cd sees the light of day we can judge it and then see which member could justify there descision

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 09:40:22 AM »

Axl threatened by NIN my ass, NIN barely became popular they or are a more of an underground thing.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
madagas
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »

Younggunner, there is clear and uncontrovertible evidence that Guns N' Roses, the band-brand name-entity, has been trying to make a record (a followup to UYI), SINCE 1994!!! The SLash and Duff recording years of 94, 95, 96 and then the rest. The lineup changes are irrelevant at this point so shut the fuck up. Duff leaving is no different  than Bucket or Tobias or Freese or Slash or Matt or anyone else for that matter. What are the two constants in the "Gnr" brand name over the past ten years? AXL ROSE and NO FUCKING RECORD. IT HAS BEEN TEN FUCKING YEARS AND STILL NOTHING. Please open your eyes just a little, get a grip with reality, and quit saying the same thing over and over and over again.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 10:20:00 AM by madagas » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »

Axl threatened by NIN my ass, NIN barely became popular they or are a more of an underground thing.

Huh

Were you not around in '94, '95?  "Closer" was a huge hit that was not only a crossover smash, but has become an MTV/rock radio classic.  For awhile, NIN ruled MTV and industrial seemed like the next best thing, spawning hits from Filter, Gravity Kills and eventually Marilyn Manson (who also became huge thanks in part to Reznor/NIN).

The Fragile debuted at #1 in 1999.  Hell of a feat for an "underground thnig".
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 11:03:03 AM »

Younggunner, there is clear and uncontrovertible evidence that Guns N' Roses, the band-brand name-entity, has been trying to make a record (a followup to UYI), SINCE 1994!!! The SLash and Duff recording years of 94, 95, 96 and then the rest
I agree. But during that time the band was soiled in lawsuits, egos, and musical differences and directions. If they were to release a new record it would have been in 96/97. Once again that it lost time.

The lineup changes are irrelevant at this point so shut the fuck up. Duff leaving is no different  than Bucket or Tobias or Freese or Slash or Matt or anyone else for that matter.
Are you kidding me? How are they irrelevant and how can you compare it to the new lineup changes?
GNr were the biggest band in the world. You just dont pick up the pieces liek nothing has happened and make another album when an original great band quits.

Tobias was never intented to be apart of the new lineup so you can exclude him.

Once duff and slash left, and axl decided to keep the name he had to find a new band that can serve justice to the past. That process began in 98/99. The lineup finally rounded out in 2000. You can deny those facts all you want but thats the truth.

94-97/98 were lost years. case closed.

What are the two constants in the "Gnr" brand name over the past ten years? AXL ROSE and NO FUCKING RECORD. IT HAS BEEN TEN FUCKING YEARS AND STILL NOTHING.
no its been 6 yrs. hard work and not giving a fuck what peopel  think will give us 3 albums. And theres a very good chance those 3 albums will justify the time and justify the past.

Please open your eyes just a little, get a grip with reality, and quit saying the same thing over and over and over again
Now you know how i feel. Tell all the pussies aroud here to stop bringing up the same old shit and i wont hit everyone up with reality.
The truth is in all the magazine articles on this very site from 94 on. Read them and you will understand the whole gnr situation. Till then i refuse to let rumors, the internet, aging clueless fans and their conspiracies and theories paint a false picture.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 11:05:12 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 11:07:29 AM »

NIn was extremly popular. to say otheriwse, then you arent telling it liek it is.

but in no way was axl threatened by them. He loved nin, white zombie and all those type of bands even before they became big. Didnt nin even open for gnr?

Whoever brought up the notion that axl was threatend by nin or industrail music is an idiot

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »

Rose: I originally wanted to make a traditional record or try to get back to an "Appetite [For Destruction]" thing or something, because that would have been a lot easier for me to do. I was involved in a lot of lawsuits for Guns N' Roses and in my own personal life, so I didn't have a lot of time to try and develop a new style or re-invent myself, so I was hoping to write a traditional thing, but I was not really allowed to do that.

Rose: No, and I don't want to be in a situation again where I have to depend on other people and have [to] start all over. So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers [along with] everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that." So we got a list of things.

(...)There is a distinct difference in sound. The second leans probably a little more to aggressive electronica with full guitars, where the first one is definitely more guitar-based.

Loder: Have you actually brought in any hip-hop guys to sort of, like, examine the roots of the rhythm now? Has Dr. Dre stopped by or anything?

Rose: No, we haven't done anything like that. It's been thought of, but it's kind of [like] we would really be wasting somebody else's time, as we're trying to figure out how to develop this ourselves. Maybe if it were to get closer to, say, mastering or mixing, maybe there could be something someone else could add to it.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2004, 01:01:15 PM »

I think he just knew that in that time period (91-94), that their brand of traditional rock was scoffed at, by the music media.  The whole Seattle thing, Cobain bashing them, industrial/techo becoming popular, it was the age of irony and Axl, wearing his sentimentality on his sleeve was snickered at.  I mean they were still hugely popular, but Axl wasn't considered "cool" anymore at that time.

It's funny though, when he went away, people always did and still do want him back.  
Breakdown
Opening Act

Fat People Are Harder To Kidnap......

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2004, 04:22:39 PM »

Younggunner....Matt Sorum recently stated that Axl was threatened by NIN, but obviously he is an idiot, and you know Axl better than Matt does. And your lost years theory is ignorant...back in 1996, the band stated that an album was almost done, and that they would be touring the following summer. I wouldnt call that "lost". Get a grip.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2004, 07:42:37 PM »

Younggunner....Matt Sorum recently stated that Axl was threatened by NIN, but obviously he is an idiot, and you know Axl better than Matt does.
Um, explainm to me how Axl felt threatened by nin? Please expalin that to me. He fukin supported taht group before it even became big. He was into that whole industrial stuff when it first came out. He even played nin to Lars and told Lars they are gonna be huge.

Influenced and threatened are two differrent things.

And your lost years theory is ignorant...back in 1996, the band stated that an album was almost done, and that they would be touring the following summer. I wouldnt call that "lost". Get a grip.
Um ok, but they didnt, then slash and duff quit how is that axls fault for not releasing material when the old guys were still here? The band had problems from 94-98. Its not ignorance its facts. Lawsuits,egos,differences in musical philosophies, and then band members quitting. ALl lost years my friend.

K-Rock
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2004, 10:21:57 PM »

Guns 'N' Roses??  Aggressive electronica??  

It just isn't Guns and only those who were deep into music in 1987 know what I mean.

Guns hit the scene when I was into thrash (Slash, Metallica, Celtic Frost, Motorhead, Venom, Megadeth, Anthrax....I could go on & on).  It was either that or heavy metal which was hair bands.

I was ready to ease up a bit on the thrash cuz all I wanted to do was fight, break-shit and rebel against everything whenever I was listening to it.

And the hair band shit was too soft for me.  My friend showed me the GNR album and said it was something new.  I didn't believe him.  I thought same chord-based glam rock jst differnet hair band.  I saw a picture of Axl's teased out hair and thought........."here we go again" (haha Whitesnake).

He put it in........WTTJ came on and I was never the same.  I became such an Axl fan and made it known so much so that all those around me (family, friends, co-workers) would think of me when they heard GNR or Axl's name mentioned.

Maybe I should not have used hip-hop in the beginning of this thread.  I should have just mentioned techno as a possible direction Axl intends on taking GNR.  

For me GNR should go back to AFD style rock instead of heading the other way from UYI I & II.

AFD ---------> UYI I & II
AFD <--------  UYI I & II

And for those who think they know Axl so well, I find you comical.  Nobody knows what's going on with Axl these days.  And whatever words of his that are printed are unreliable IMO.  

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2004, 03:04:45 AM »

i dont understand axl

u are the biggest rock star on the planet, u have the most successful and most talented band and u are worried bout fad bands like NIN's and chemical brothers

it doesnt make sense to me how someone as confident as axl can be so insecure when it comes to music

thats his problem now being insecure

doesnt he realize how awesome GNR were?

i honestly think he has no idea how great GNR were and thats scary

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2004, 04:59:34 AM »

Huh

Were you not around in '94, '95?  "Closer" was a huge hit that was not only a crossover smash, but has become an MTV/rock radio classic.  For awhile, NIN ruled MTV and industrial seemed like the next best thing, spawning hits from Filter, Gravity Kills and eventually Marilyn Manson (who also became huge thanks in part to Reznor/NIN).

The Fragile debuted at #1 in 1999.  Hell of a feat for an "underground thnig".

My god a couple of hit songs, why would axl be threatened by that, for a band who had 8 hit songs, sellout world tours and changed an era of music, axl had nothing to be threatened from.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2004, 05:49:48 AM »

I'm all for evolving mucically - hell, it paid dividens with UYI and i love OMG, an album like that wouldn't be so awful

However Axl being afraid of the electonic noise that Trent Reznor spews out? Give me a break - he's eccentric not insane. The 'hits' NIN have had wouldn't frighten fuckin' Will Young.......

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Rachel
Opening Act

I LOVE AXL

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2004, 06:39:52 AM »

Y the fuck is Axl touring wiv fucking Moby?They have totally different types of music and there is no way that Guns and Roses fans will like a dick head like Moby's music......

Rachel
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: