Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses - 2010-06-02 Oslo Spektrum, Oslo - Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses - 2010-06-02 Oslo Spektrum, Oslo - Discussion  (Read 29245 times)
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

Found a great review from "DCK" at http://www.nrk.no/lydverket/rr-tore-og-asbjorn/#comment-29669

"Legger inn en review p? engelsk jeg skrev.

Sound was terrible. Couldn?t hear Axl for the first three songs almost, just vaguely in the background. The band kept having issues with the sound, the vocals appearing and disappearing throughout the show. Sometimes his voice was extremely loud, sometimes very low.

Chinese Democracy is a lukewarm opener. It doesn?t get the crowd going too much. Welcome to the jungle is therefore the real opener, when people go nuts. Sadly, I couldn?t hear crap of his vocals, and I had the best damn seats in the entire arena.

His vocals finally showed up on Sorry. It sounds killer live. One of the highlights of the show. Crowd was pretty dead though. In fact, all the Chinese Democracy songs sounded mostly great. This I Love was superb too, but Axl have to really haul ass to do the songs. His voice are very raspy these days, it doesn?t bode well for the rest of the year. People love it though, because they think that?s how he is supposed to sound, but it truly is not.

Street of Dreams. Jesus. With all those ballads in there, why the fuck play it? Can?t they do another CD song? It?s been played to death already. Give it up. It?s a mediocre ballad. With Sorry and TIL there, absolutely no point.

DJ Ashba is the shining star of this GNR version. He plays well, he got a great stage presence. He saves it all from a total disaster stage presence wise (except Axl of course). Put your faith in DJ Ashba people.

Bumblefoot, hands down the greatest thing to happen to us in regards to communication with the fans, is so anonynomus on stage. He does nothing really. Just disappears somewhere between Axl and Ashba. The Buckethead craving has never been bigger. Bumbles solos are nothing special, his playing is skillfull but doesn?t give me anything. And his spot used to be filled with Buckethead. The difference is DRASTIC.

Fortus, cool on stage, was off several times on his rythm parts. Cool James Bond theme though.

Frank Ferrer just underlines the fact that Brian Mantia is the best drummer GNR ever had. Ferrer is too polished, ?too nice?.

When Axl?s vocals was present, he did his best. He kept disappearing backstage all the time. Annoying, but not uncommon. However, you see him sing and then run away, you just go ?aaarrrrggghhh? after an hour or so. Ron said in an interview that the voice decided the setlist. Now, SOD is pretty hard to sing. Just replace it! Too many ballads. It looses momentum.

Better didn?t sound as good as I remembered from 2006. The back up vocals with Bumblefoot and Tommy works good though. Axl struggles throughout the song, but he always did on Better. I was scared they wouldn?t even do Better, but thankfully it came.

Madagascar was awesome. Just how it should have sounded on the record. Heavy and very tense. TIL was also great. Axl did great on it.

Embaressing moment when some dork gave Axl a Swedish flag. Axl wore it for a few verses on You Could Be Mine. He either had no idea it was the wrong flag for the country he was in, or he just wanted to have some fun. Guess he got the point when the crowd didn?t react to his little gesture.

He was also dead quiet for the entire show. Didn?t speak one word to the audience except for his introduction of the band and the guitar players. He said thank you at the end though, it felt like we did him a favour showing up or something.

The crowd cheered loudly when he stopped TIL 10 seconds into it because ?he couldn?t hear shit?. He smiled and seemed to be in a good mood. No problems there. For Axl, he almost seemed apathic. ?Just do the job and get on with it? mentality. Very unlike what you expect from him.

So, I?ll give it a 3 out of 6.

Too little Chinese Democracy, and when played, they do the wrong songs. Maddy and SOD, well?heard them for years. Do something else. Plenty of songs to choose from. Only TIL played which was brand *new* thinking 2002-2006.

So, I can complain about the set list. I was there. Jarmo says the band plays for the audience. Well, I was in the audience and I want Chinese Democracy songs with AFD and mix them up a little. They?re growing into this pattern of doing a repeat-setlist every night.

So, I?m slightly disappointed with this 2010 version except for Ashba."

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »

I'm confused. Is that your review duga? Or is that the translation of DCK's review, which you advertised as "great".

That's a shitty review if you ask me.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:35 PM »

I'm confused. Is that your review duga? Or is that the translation of DCK's review, which you advertised as "great".

Not mine. Okay, "fair" or "honest" is a better word than "great". 

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »

Thats a translation of DCK's review, get Google Chrome, it has a built in translator ok I never knew I was so fluent (in reading...) so many languages  hihi

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »

Cool DJ interview from Oslo Ink!

http://www.tv2underholdning.no/gkn/her-faar-guns-nroses-tatovering-i-oslo-3220972.html

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »

Not mine. Okay, "fair" or "honest" is a better word than "great". 

Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

My only feedback on that review would pertaining to SOD. I don't like the song much either and would love for it to be replaced in the set. But I think Axl himself truly loves that song and playing it live every show likely makes the whole effort of getting his ass out on the stage all the more worth it.

I'm guessing he could sit home and watch CNN all day not having to grace the fans with his presence.

It's a shame though that the sound was so off.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2010, 11:09:58 PM »

DCK is definitely a fan of the new band....for what that is worth.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Munamankeli
Opening Act

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »

Thats a translation of DCK's review, get Google Chrome, it has a built in translator ok I never knew I was so fluent (in reading...) so many languages  hihi

Actually that's the original version by DCK (written in English)
http://www.nrk.no/lydverket/rr-tore-og-asbjorn/#comment-29669

Well grounded, honest and detailed enough.
StardustGirl
Headliner

And though as long as this road seems...

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »

Some thoughts regarding Wednesday's concert... Was my first one - I've "only" been waiting since 1991, but circumstances would not allow this to happen before now.

It was really cool meeting all you HTGTH people at Elm Street before the show! I was actually hanging there for so long that when I finally got inside the venue it only took some minutes before the lights went down and the show started. From where I was (first middle of the floor quite far back, then on the right hand side of the stage a few meters back) the sound was excellent throughout, Axl's singing was clear and the band sounded good, even the decibel level was mostly tolerably.

During the concert I found out that what I really wanted to hear was the new CD stuff. From a personal point of view I wish they had played more of that and less of the classics, but I understand they have to satisfy the appetites of a totally different crowd as well. Everything from CD sounded so good, but I think it was Better at the very end that got a bigger part of the audience really carried away, me included. I also particularly enjoyed Richard's solo.

The most depressing part of the concert experience had nothing to do with the band and everything to do with the really annoying security policy at the Spektrum. They let me take my pocket camera in, although I saw hoards of confiscated ones outside. I was fully enjoying Street of Dreams and I had a perfect aim on Axl and DJ in a nice posture just in front of me and was just about to press the camera button when this big hairy hand comes and stops me. I had to give up the camera, without any receipt (yeah right, I was gonna come off the floor in the middle of a song I particularly enjoyed) and afterwards I had to ask three different places before I could get it back. And all the time there were like dozens of cameras and mobiles hovering all over the venue.

There were a lot of things happening on the stage and it was not so easy to follow everything that was going on. I would love the see another show soon! DJ was really good with the audience, the band sounded even better than I could have imagined given all the complaints that you hear in concert reviews and everything looked as good as I had hoped for based on various pictures and videos.

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »

great! =) DJ is a great guy

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »

Some thoughts regarding Wednesday's concert... Was my first one - I've "only" been waiting since 1991, but circumstances would not allow this to happen before now.

It was really cool meeting all you HTGTH people at Elm Street before the show! I was actually hanging there for so long that when I finally got inside the venue it only took some minutes before the lights went down and the show started. From where I was (first middle of the floor quite far back, then on the right hand side of the stage a few meters back) the sound was excellent throughout, Axl's singing was clear and the band sounded good, even the decibel level was mostly tolerably.

During the concert I found out that what I really wanted to hear was the new CD stuff. From a personal point of view I wish they had played more of that and less of the classics, but I understand they have to satisfy the appetites of a totally different crowd as well. Everything from CD sounded so good, but I think it was Better at the very end that got a bigger part of the audience really carried away, me included. I also particularly enjoyed Richard's solo.

The most depressing part of the concert experience had nothing to do with the band and everything to do with the really annoying security policy at the Spektrum. They let me take my pocket camera in, although I saw hoards of confiscated ones outside. I was fully enjoying Street of Dreams and I had a perfect aim on Axl and DJ in a nice posture just in front of me and was just about to press the camera button when this big hairy hand comes and stops me. I had to give up the camera, without any receipt (yeah right, I was gonna come off the floor in the middle of a song I particularly enjoyed) and afterwards I had to ask three different places before I could get it back. And all the time there were like dozens of cameras and mobiles hovering all over the venue.

There were a lot of things happening on the stage and it was not so easy to follow everything that was going on. I would love the see another show soon! DJ was really good with the audience, the band sounded even better than I could have imagined given all the complaints that you hear in concert reviews and everything looked as good as I had hoped for based on various pictures and videos.

So glad we got inside just in time heh heh!  Great to meet you too.  Thats fucked with the camera.. security told me they werent allowing cameras, I had put mine in my coat pocket and put coat over my arm, and let them search my bag and managed to get it in ok. But I saw loads on a table having been taken away, yet I saw plenty of cameras around me being used obviously all through the gig with no security bothering about it. I dont get it...

StardustGirl
Headliner

And though as long as this road seems...

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »

So glad we got inside just in time heh heh!  Great to meet you too.  Thats fucked with the camera.. security told me they werent allowing cameras, I had put mine in my coat pocket and put coat over my arm, and let them search my bag and managed to get it in ok. But I saw loads on a table having been taken away, yet I saw plenty of cameras around me being used obviously all through the gig with no security bothering about it. I dont get it...

I really don't get the camera policy either, makes no sense! It's just so randomly applied. It was soooo annoying with the security guy taking mine away while others all around me kept filming.

Our timing could not have been more perfect, any later and we would have missed the beginning  Shocked Jarmo may be more of a guru than he let's anybody (himself included) to know  hihi Anyway, sounds like you had a good time, I did too, pre-show included!  ok

I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night...
long live rock n' roll
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »

His voice are very raspy these days, it doesn?t bode well for the rest of the year. People love it though, because they think that?s how he is supposed to sound, but it truly is not.

I checked out the youtube clips. His voice sounds fine to me - nowhere near the problems he was having on the UYI tour. He's not an opera singer - it's natural to have some grit in there. The fact that he can still get up to a high E or thereabouts is pretty impressive. Even Geoff Tate has to push for that stuff these days.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »

what song(s) was used as intro in oslo and bergen? that "jaws" themie song or some other?
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »

what song(s) was used as intro in oslo and bergen? that "jaws" themie song or some other?

Bergen, the same as 06

Oslo, some sort of horror movie theme

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »

Bergen, the same as 06

Oslo, some sort of horror movie theme

The Exorcist in Oslo i belive...

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »

For those who haven't heard the original of Dizzy's piano solo, "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner" by Warren Zevon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dyUzUxE_2w

It's a great song! I hadn't actually heard it before, altough I've heard several other tunes by him. This is actually one of his most well-known songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: