Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:33:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 186081 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 12:00:52 AM »

To me Goose Gossage isnt a hall of famer

If it takes u 9 tries, u just arent a hall of famer.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 12:06:58 AM »

To me Goose Gossage isnt a hall of famer

If it takes u 9 tries, u just arent a hall of famer.

The voters know there's prestige to how many times it takes...it's the only way they have to distinguish between the greats and the greatest.  Not all of them vote that way, but a lot do, though to some extent it strikes me as rather silly.  His stats haven't changed.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 12:57:27 AM »

D, you always used to say that Clemens took steroids and I was always like, "Get out of here!"

Then when the report came out, I gave you a lot of credit.  I don't know why you think Clemens is innocent now.  You said it yourself, guys aren't supposed to get bigger and better as they age.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »

I saw the 60 minutes interview last week, and I think he's lying plain and simple.

Diehard Yankees fans will defend him until the day he dies of course.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:52:09 AM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »

I saw the 60 minutes interview last week, and I think he's lying plain and simple.

Fans always defend cheaters in their own uniform.  Bonds in SF, McGwire is much loved in St. Louis...oh, and a little team called the 2007 New England Patriots.

Even I have to admit it...despite the fact that there's a decent chance of it being true, as a Cubs fan I don't like to think of Sosa as a juicer, and have a pretty high standard of proof, though the proof isn't anything like it is against Bonds or McGwire.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:31:12 PM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2008, 02:08:11 PM »

my favorite team of all time is the 1993 phillies. i will never love a team anywhere near as much as i did that one. it was one of the best summers of my life, largely because of that team.

but i have no problem admitting that certain players used steroids. i can't say it's a fact, but my instincts tell me it's true.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »

Fans always defend cheaters in their own uniform.  Bonds in SF, McGwire is much loved in St. Louis...oh, and a little team called the 2007 New England Patriots.

Even I have to admit it...despite the fact that there's a decent chance of it being true, as a Cubs fan I don't like to think of Sosa as a juicer, and have a pretty high standard of proof, though the proof isn't anything like it is against Bonds or McGwire.
I love those who point to week 1 and call the Patriots cheaters for beating the hapless Jets.  Great piece of evidence there.  I'm sure those video tapes catapulted them to victory for that one.  Try again Freedom.  By the way, fantastic finish to the season for your Colts.  Better luck next year.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 11:43:05 PM »

I love those who point to week 1 and call the Patriots cheaters for beating the hapless Jets.  Great piece of evidence there.  I'm sure those video tapes catapulted them to victory for that one.  Try again Freedom. 

rofl  And a "nice try" to you, for that logical leap.  They aren't cheaters for beating the Jets.  They're cheaters for...you know...being caught...cheating.  Of course, your defense of their cheating, despite being caught red handed, only serves as evidence for my point, as you yourself are an example of the exact same home-town bias of which I was speaking. 

By the way, fantastic finish to the season for your Colts.  Better luck next year.

Must've hit a nerve.  Thanks for the well wishes.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »

Of course fans are gonna defend their teams.  That's what fans do.  But as for the Patriots, people continue to bring up spygate.  They got caught in week 1, paid a stiff penalty, end of story, no need to rehash it.  It's over and done with.  What more did you want to happen to them?  Should the Patriots have been exiled from the NFL?  Bonds and McGwire are a little different situation.  They really haven't faced any fines or penalties besides tarnished reputations.  The Patriots paid a half a million dollars and forfeited a 1st round pick, yet people continue to bring it up.  They received their punishment, just let it go.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »

Jays and Cards swap Rolen for Glaus

t is a done deal.

The Toronto Blue Jays and the St. Louis Cardinals have completed a deal that sees third baseman Scott Rolen heading north in exchange for fellow third baseman Troy Glaus.

Mike Nicotera, Glaus' agent, confirmed a report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his client had passed his Cardinals' physical.

"For him, it was an easy choice," Nicotera told the news paper. "It didn't take him long at all to agree to the trade and to take his option (for 2009). It was almost instantaneous for him to take advantage of this chance."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »

Jays and Cards swap Rolen for Glaus

t is a done deal.

The Toronto Blue Jays and the St. Louis Cardinals have completed a deal that sees third baseman Scott Rolen heading north in exchange for fellow third baseman Troy Glaus.

Mike Nicotera, Glaus' agent, confirmed a report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his client had passed his Cardinals' physical.

"For him, it was an easy choice," Nicotera told the news paper. "It didn't take him long at all to agree to the trade and to take his option (for 2009). It was almost instantaneous for him to take advantage of this chance."

Pretty sensible trade for both teams - Rolen needed another change of scenery and Glaus' bat can protect Pujols pretty nicely.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2008, 06:23:23 PM »

my favorite team of all time is the 1993 phillies. i will never love a team anywhere near as much as i did that one. it was one of the best summers of my life, largely because of that team.

but i have no problem admitting that certain players used steroids. i can't say it's a fact, but my instincts tell me it's true.

I'd have to say one who used was Leonard Dykstra...one who didn't was John Kruk.  Smiley  I think they were both on the '93 Phils.  That was a fun team.  beer

BTW, have ya'll heard this?  More Clemens stuff.  Sorry to those who still think Clemens was clean.   no
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txclemenssaga&prov=st&type=lgns

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »

I'd have to say one who used was Leonard Dykstra...one who didn't was John Kruk.  Smiley  I think they were both on the '93 Phils.  That was a fun team.  beer

BTW, have ya'll heard this?  More Clemens stuff.  Sorry to those who still think Clemens was clean.   no
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txclemenssaga&prov=st&type=lgns

"The Dude!" he was a definite steroid user. my cousin interviewed him for a story a year or two ago and he pretty much admitted it. not that it was some big surprise. i'm guessing there were a couple others.

my favorite story about that team was Kruk staying up drinking all night on a saturday cause he wasn't scheduled to play on sunday. for some reason kruk had to start. he was so hung over he didn't think he'd be able to make it. he fights through the pain and ends up going 4 for 4 with a HR. that's classic.

it's not looking good for clemens.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

I remember the spring training Dykstra came back with like 20 to 25 pounds of added muscle...less fat, 25 pounds more muscle in an off-season.   rofl  ...and then there was Kruk!  I loved that guy.  It's too bad he never worked on his conditioning.  He had great hand-eye coordination. 

Mitch Williams rocked as well.   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »

Looks like the Mets will be getting Johan Santana, pending an agreement on a contract extension.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/01/29/2008-01-29_mets_land_johan_santana_in_deal_for_four-1.html
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »

Great deal for the Mets, I think the Twins got shafted once the Yanks and Sox withdrew. Maybe I'm biased, but I think the Yanks and Sox packages were much better than this. Humber has been a disappointment (..so I've heard?), haven't heard much on the other two besides Gomez. From the Yanks the Twins would've got Melky and Phil and another good prospect. Melky and Gomez break even, maybe edge to Melky, and Hughes way out matches Humber, IMO. From the Sox, the Twins would've gotten Elsbury who is about even with Gomez, maybe a little better, plus Buccholz or Lester right? I forget now.

I think since the Sox and Yanks pulled their offers off the table the Twins had to get something for Johan and just sucked it up.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »

Great deal for the Mets, I think the Twins got shafted once the Yanks and Sox withdrew. Maybe I'm biased, but I think the Yanks and Sox packages were much better than this. Humber has been a disappointment (..so I've heard?), haven't heard much on the other two besides Gomez. From the Yanks the Twins would've got Melky and Phil and another good prospect. Melky and Gomez break even, maybe edge to Melky, and Hughes way out matches Humber, IMO. From the Sox, the Twins would've gotten Elsbury who is about even with Gomez, maybe a little better, plus Buccholz or Lester right? I forget now.

I think since the Sox and Yanks pulled their offers off the table the Twins had to get something for Johan and just sucked it up.

Basically i think they realized they weren't going to get the yankees or red sox to fuck themselves over so they settled for whatever they could get from someone else.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »

Yep, exactly what I said haha.

The Sox and Yanks withdrew and had to settle for the Mets deal.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »

And i'm glad the yankees for once stuck to what they said and didn't sell the farm to get a big name player. I'm looking forward to see what Hughes Chamberlain and Kennedy can do in their first full seasons.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 12:59:02 AM »

Well I would've liked to have had him on the Sox, but at least he's not going to the Yankees, and out of the AL altogether.  I'll take it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: