Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:51:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Gilby talks about Guns N' Roses, Axl Rose, Slash and Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gilby talks about Guns N' Roses, Axl Rose, Slash and Chinese Democracy  (Read 43679 times)
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 01:37:39 PM »

Oh sorry Ali, didn't mean to be a repeating monkey!

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Stoned_In_L.A.
Headliner

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

Again, not really.  He ALLOWS members to contribute.  How else can you explain how "Better" has always been described as a "Robin" song.  "The General", which we haven't heard, is supposedly a Tommy song.  Shackler's, Scraped, and Sorry were Brain/Bucket songs.  Dizzy and Paul's contributions are all over the album.  How is that not allowing members to contribute?

No one is denying that Axl has final say.  Guys IN the band have stated that.  I think that happens more frequently in bands then you'd like to believe.  Do you think Steven Adler, Matt Sorum, or Gilby ever had equal say in GNR?  How about the guys in Slash's solo band, you think they have equal say with Slash?  How about Dave Kushner, or even Matt Sorum in Velvet Revolver?  How about anyone not named Van Halen, in Van Halen?  The list goes on and on.

Maybe we're arguing different things here, but we're certainly not seeing eye to eye.

Did you bother to read my post after the one you quoted? Apparently not.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Axl isn't willing to consider what's brought to the table by whomever.

The actual debate is Axl being the one with the final say on whether or not it will be recorded.

Not all bands operate under that mentality, nor should they if it's truly a "band".

With that said, Gilby's comment can be justified when he says Axl should allow his bands to contribute.

I take "contribute" as work with the material even if it doesn't specifically fit Axl's vision.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »

well, "IF" he means CD it might just be his thoughts that CD isnt that good -as many people do think aswell, no secret- and blames it on Axl's working method with CD band members....3 guitarists of them not that around anymore by the way.
maybe he talked about old Guns where his song writing was not wanted, maybe a combination of both, maybe just hoping for upcoming killer music, we just dont know from his short answer!!

also "Stoned_In_L.A." latest reply could make sense!

Re-Union time, baby!!
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »

Limulus: If you think it's so important that we don't speculate on what Gilby means with his short answer, why do u do it your self?

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »

Not all bands operate under that mentality, nor should they if it's truly a "band".

not that I love feeding the trolls (Grin) but do you have some examples in mind? I'm curious.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »

"Shotgun Blues" and probably "My World" are two Rose songs that should have been on the cutting floor and weren't..  Go figure.

That's only your opinion. Plenty of people like both of those songs.  Roll Eyes
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »

Again, not really.  He ALLOWS members to contribute.  How else can you explain how "Better" has always been described as a "Robin" song.  "The General", which we haven't heard, is supposedly a Tommy song.  Shackler's, Scraped, and Sorry were Brain/Bucket songs.  Dizzy and Paul's contributions are all over the album.  How is that not allowing members to contribute?

No one is denying that Axl has final say.  Guys IN the band have stated that.  I think that happens more frequently in bands then you'd like to believe.  Do you think Steven Adler, Matt Sorum, or Gilby ever had equal say in GNR?  How about the guys in Slash's solo band, you think they have equal say with Slash?  How about Dave Kushner, or even Matt Sorum in Velvet Revolver?  How about anyone not named Van Halen, in Van Halen?  The list goes on and on.

Maybe we're arguing different things here, but we're certainly not seeing eye to eye.

Did you bother to read my post after the one you quoted? Apparently not.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Axl isn't willing to consider what's brought to the table by whomever.

The actual debate is Axl being the one with the final say on whether or not it will be recorded.

With that said, Gilby's comment can be justified when he says Axl should allow his bands to contribute.

I take "contribute" as work with the material even if it doesn't specifically fit Axl's vision.
I did read your post, yes.  And once again, I think far more bands have certain members that have MORE say than others than you'd like to believe.  I know we'd all like to live in a world where everyone gets along and everyone has equal say and everyone's opinions are equal, but that's just not the case.  I gave you examples before, feel free to go over them again if you'd like.

D is a Bon Jovi fanatic and he admitted Bon Jovi is run in a similar manner.  Not really as uncommon as you'd think.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »

"Shotgun Blues" and probably "My World" are two Rose songs that should have been on the cutting floor and weren't..  Go figure.

Yeah, completely subjective.  I quite like "Shotgun Blues".  I will say though, I'm with you on "My World".  Not a fan.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »

True, but if polled, they would be two of the least liked in the history of GNR....  Name two worse filler songs than those.. You will probably have a hard time.  I think the music is good in "Shotgun Blues", but damn, that chorus is bad.  I do like part of the versus, but the song "needed" more work.  So the point is, "if its up to Axl's standards, it can be used", or "if its Axl's idea no matter if it sucks or not, it can be used"... Just being the devil's advocate.  He has sole writing credits on both those tunes which are universally considered the two weakest tracks on the UYI2 album.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »

True, but if polled, they would be two of the least liked in the history of GNR....  Name two worse filler songs than those.. You will probably have a hard time.  I think the music is good in "Shotgun Blues", but damn, that chorus is bad.  I do like part of the versus, but the song "needed" more work.  So the point is, "if its up to Axl's standards, it can be used", or "if its Axl's idea no matter if it sucks or not, it can be used"... Just being the devil's advocate.  He has sole writing credits on both those tunes which are universally considered the two weakest tracks on the UYI2 album.

Universally? Until you can show me the poll numbers from a statistically significant sample size, I'm calling complete and utter horseshit. I'll take "Shotgun Blues" over "14 Years" and "Pretty Tied Up". I know others that feel the same way. Until you can show me the poll you mentioned, you're just projecting your opinion onto a majority.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2011, 12:07:12 AM »

You would take "shotgun blues" over "14 years" (great izzy tune) and "pretty tied up" (a song guns thought was good enough to play live very often)? 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090706153425AAwBqYQ

http://www.newgnr.com/forum/index.php?topic=43317.0

http://www.last.fm/group/Guns+N%27+Roses/forum/193/_/113503

Three threads from three sites....  Everyone for the most part thinks My World blows hard.. Then lots of arguing over what is worse among the others.  Shotgun Blues gets plenty of mentions...
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »

I always liked Shotgun Blues...thought it captured some of their raw energy, and is fast paced.  I would put it above "So Fine". 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 01:52:02 AM »

Out of all the UYI songs.. if we are being objective but i like them all in some way but the worst songs are:

UYI:
Garden of Eden

My World of course is worst song in GNR history.. i dont think anybody would dispute that. I like My World but i also liked silk Worms.....

It took me 10 years to even remotely like Garden of Eden
so it may be with my world my least favorites.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:54:25 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 02:13:37 AM »

So the point is, "if its up to Axl's standards, it can be used", or "if its Axl's idea no matter if it sucks or not, it can be used"

thats a good point! and even much more with the new members.

Re-Union time, baby!!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »

So the point is, "if its up to Axl's standards, it can be used", or "if its Axl's idea no matter if it sucks or not, it can be used"

thats a good point! and even much more with the new members.

What New Members ?

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2011, 03:37:05 AM »

If Jon doesn't approve, it doesn't make the record. 
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2011, 04:14:03 AM »

You would take "shotgun blues" over "14 years" (great izzy tune) and "pretty tied up" (a song guns thought was good enough to play live very often)? 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090706153425AAwBqYQ

http://www.newgnr.com/forum/index.php?topic=43317.0

http://www.last.fm/group/Guns+N%27+Roses/forum/193/_/113503

Three threads from three sites....  Everyone for the most part thinks My World blows hard.. Then lots of arguing over what is worse among the others.  Shotgun Blues gets plenty of mentions...

Shotgun Blues raaawks!!!!

But has that anything to do with this discussion if that ol' song is good or bad? Just a quiestion.....

Think you die hard "old" Guns fans never will admit that "new" Guns can make an epic album, even if they did (and in my opinion they've already put one).....And u gonna bitch about Axls and Guns way of working, even if we really don't know how they work. Gilby don't, I don't, Limulus don't..But we have quotes from current members, like Tommy, and that's really the most reliable source we have. Gilby worked with GnR almost two decades ago...

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2011, 05:00:51 AM »

we can "speculate" about Tommys words aswell  Wink
they never played "Shotgun Blues" live by the way.
more music and (to me) better music would be appreciated. though i'd rather not go for "epic" stuff but a killer hard rock record.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2011, 08:22:16 AM »

D is a Bon Jovi fanatic and he admitted Bon Jovi is run in a similar manner.  Not really as uncommon as you'd think.

Bon Jovi is a little different than most bands.  Jon got that record deal for "Runaway" on his own,  then filled in his band accordingly.  It is a very unique deal that works for them.  The members of Bon Jovi are paid employees of Jon and ALWAYS have been since the beginning, they were never really a band to begin with.  It has always surprised me that Bon Jovi has had the longevity and success that it has had without too many problems with egos etc.  Then again if you really look at it, the dudes in Bon Jovi are getting a sweet paycheck without having to deal with any of the bullshit.  Its great for guys like Tico Torres who really isn't that passionate about music, but does the gig so he can have money and free time to work on his art projects.  Also I can't really see David Bryan bitching either, i mean where else is a keyboard player going to make that kind of cash and play to those size crowds?  Richie is also a pretty humble dude.  Almost 30 years going and all Jon had to do personnel wise was kick a bass player out of the band.  The band members also dont have to deal with any bullshit besides playing music, all the business stuff is Jons headache.  It is one of those super rare instances in rock where everybody wins.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:23:54 AM by Bodhi » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »

well no, they had a rift after New Jersey album and the band came close to breaking up.  They hired a psychologist to help them work out their problems like Metallica did later on....... Richie was ExTREMELY jealous cause he felt he co wrote all the big songs and he was right.

What happened u ask??

Jon released a solo album.. Young Guns II soundtrack with a number 1 hit and it sold 4 million copies

Richie released a solo album and it barely cracked the top 50..........

They realized they better get their ass in gear cause Jon didn't really need them as bad as they needed him.

GNR are a bit different cause Slash did have some success with the Snakepit thing and now of course Contraband and his solo album were very successful

If Snakepit absolutely bombed... I think Slash would've crawled back.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: