Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why no singles??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why no singles??  (Read 6570 times)
rubie vale
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: May 18, 2004, 06:18:45 AM »

Just a question that bugs me...
Why do you think the whole GNR & record company foul up is so centred around the album?
Could GNR not release their best song as a single now with an amazing video? This would give the band about three months breathing space as the single gains momentum worldwide. If it does the business, maybe Axl & the business heads would would relax a a bit around money and credability issues allowing the album to move closer to the store shelves.
U2 released 'Beautiful Day' three months before the album because they agreed that the whole 'POP' album schedule was a farce. The fans were at fever pitch by the time "All that you can't leave behind' came out and it stormed to No. 1 world-wide.
If GNR even released 2 singles they could gauge how the public are reacting to their sound and maybe finalise the CD track listing to suit that reaction (they have 70 to choose from or so we are told).
Does anyone here understand the singles game and how it works? I mean the rock world is gagga for VR now and much as I like 'em, I am a tad disappointed with 'Slither'. It's not 'SCOM' or 'Sex Type Thing' by any means. If 'Cather in the Rye' is as good as is rumored surely they can't loose???
peace,
Rubie
sami
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 06:26:27 AM »

Seems like a good idea to me and as brought this up I started to wonder 2
why they havent released any singles.  
eraser
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:54:45 AM »

well i guess you don't put out singles when you are not sure when the album can be released...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 09:59:16 AM »

you dont release singles until you know are ready to release the album. especially in gnr's case. Why release a single then have the buzz just die becuase you might not even release the album. its pointless. and im glad they havnt done anything liek that

ill wait as long as it takes. just do it right. and they will

I mean the rock world is gagga for VR now and much as I like 'em, I am a tad disappointed with 'Slither'. It's not 'SCOM' or 'Sex Type Thing' by any means. If 'Cather in the Rye' is as good as is rumored surely they can't loose???
I owuldnt say the music world has been gaga, but thats your opinion. CITR will not even be on the first album so why would it be there first single? What they lose is there momentum.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
madagas
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

Bullshit. Some of the best Beatles songs weren't on their studio albums...Hey Jude for example. Singles have been released since the beginning of rock and roll. I always thought Axl should have just made an ep after Rio to wet everyone's appetite. The Blues, Chinese, Rhiad, and Madagascar would have been perfect. These songs allegedly aren't the big guns anyway so what would be the problem. ps Chinese Democracy the song doesn't have to be on the album either...Houses of the Holy was cut from the album of the same name by Zep. There are no steadfast rules to go by. Fuck, at this point, I don't think anyone except Axl has any idea what the final tracklisting will be for this fiasco. I wouldn't be suprised if only one or two songs played so far, of the six, even ended up on the album. We know less now than in Dec 1999. Amazing. Angry
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:25:14 AM »

Amazing
What i find amazing is that none of the stuff has been leaked or any info on the album has been leaked

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:26:31 AM »

It baffles me too

Why can't Axl release a 12 tack ep - the 6 new songs played on tour plus a live version of each

It would be a way of appeasing the fans, plus it keeps GNR's name out there - i can't think of one good reason why Axl can't do this - especially with the GH going strong

-it would make him a bit of money to wage war against Slash/satify Geffen

-a bit of publicity

-the songs are already out there - its not as if Axl can get a bad press from the songs - people heard them 3 years ago!

Its all very strange to me
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 10:28:38 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 10:32:52 AM »

Maybe he will release 2 or 3 singles before thr album come out, but maybe this is not the time. I think he will do it when we will be closer to the release.

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 10:35:19 AM »

The reason we have no single is because we're never getting an album. I used to think he was just waiting until the perfect time or something, but that has come and gone so many times I have just realized he is never going to sack up enough to release the album. He can goto his grave telling everyone how great it would have been and keep that aura about him, because if he did release it and it didn't go well that would ruin him personally as Guns really would be dead at that point. I used to think we were waiting along time in 2002, and if not then then it had to be out early 2003. That was over a year ago, and we are no closer now than we were 5 years ago to a release. Next year will be 2005....still no album....Axl yet another year older. We have a two year window of viability before he is percieved as being totally over the hill age wise, I hope he capitalizes on it.
Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 10:37:19 AM »

Maybe this idea of releasing a single to see how people react and then release an album has already been used on 1999, when Oh my God was shown.

Well people didn't seen to like it and the result is that we are still waiting.

Same thing with the VMA`s 2002.

Anyway, something concrete must happen until august! If it doesn`t guess it's over.

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 10:40:11 AM »

The reason we have no single is because we're never getting an album. I used to think he was just waiting until the perfect time or something, but that has come and gone so many times I have just realized he is never going to sack up enough to release the album. He can goto his grave telling everyone how great it would have been and keep that aura about him, because if he did release it and it didn't go well that would ruin him personally as Guns really would be dead at that point. I used to think we were waiting along time in 2002, and if not then then it had to be out early 2003. That was over a year ago, and we are no closer now than we were 5 years ago to a release. Next year will be 2005....still no album....Axl yet another year older. We have a two year window of viability before he is percieved as being totally over the hill age wise, I hope he capitalizes on it.

Exactly, it just seems like another year anotehr year without the album. I just cant see it coming out after all thats happened
madagas
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 10:46:22 AM »

Axl has NEVER told ANYBODY that the album is great. Don't exaggerate.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 10:52:17 AM »

You get the point, its easy to create an aura about an album as long as you never actually release it so people can judge for themselves. As long as he doesn't release it, no one can ever say it isn't good or not as good as the old Guns stuff. And then he won't have to answer questions about why the old band broke up and how he couldn't recapture the spirit by himself. Emotionally, there is just no way he will risk this sort of thing by actualyl releasing an album. I mean it is either done or has been done for a while, so the only reason we don't have it is some sort of fear on his part. Nothing wrong with that, but we just all need to realize he isn't going to wake up one day and go "Maybe I should release an album and tour for a couple of years today". Its just not going to happen, he cuoldn't handle a month of the CD tour without some sort of catastrophe, he just can't take all that goes with releasing an album in terms of promotion and making nice with the media. What in the last 7 years has he done that would suggest otherwise?
madagas
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »

Personally, I don't feel he is emotionally stable enough to tour and his instability clearly has affected the recording of the album. But, his inability to let go and his insecurity/paranoia does NOT mean 1. The material isn't high quality 2. That it will never be released. It may be 5 years from now or it may be 20 years from now. We will see something someday. He is fucked up no doubt. But, I do have supreme faith in his one true ability-the ability to write honest, simplistic, and heartfelt melodies. Ultimately, that is what connects with a mass audience and that will again make him successful.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 11:10:56 AM by madagas » Logged
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 11:07:41 AM »

Axl would only release singles IF and only IF the album(s) were finished.

Example. So lets say by August the album(s) are finished, it is shown to the record company the final proof. They start to market the album and set a release date for 3-4 months so it would be around the end of the year. During those months 1 or 2 singles would be released to see the reaction.

But the singles would only be released if the whole project is finished and the company can start organising a tour and the albums release date. Period

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 11:13:06 AM »

madagas-

I personally feel the new material is probably like nothing we have ever heard before it is most likely that good. The problem is I would like to see it released while he is still young enough to have some sort of comeback as a viable rock God. At 42 and not getting any younger, his window of opportunity is rapidly closing. I agree one day we may here something, but I want more than to just hear the album....I want the tour, and hoopla and a motivated Axl.....if this all doesn't start to happen soon, we're going to get none of it.
madagas
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 11:19:37 AM »

That's the difference..I don't care about the hoopla. I think his days as a young rock god are long gone. I just want an amazing record and don't care if it sells 10,000,000 or 500,000. I would prefer they stay in a selective hard core fan base and if they tour, play in high quality theatres of say 3000 to 5000 people. I am selfish! Already did the mega Illusion tours and quite frankly, stadiums and arenas are shitty venues to see quality music.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 11:22:16 AM »

Would all this time have really been wasted though if all he wanted to do was some low-key album that didn't shake up the world of R&R? I mean I can't believe he would spend 6-7 years recording a servicable album with the intent of playing small venues. I may be wrong but I doubt it.
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 12:25:06 PM »

I suppose you can only put out a single when you know the album is coming out within a couple of months.

That's a hatrick for Doull
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »

Personally, I don't feel he is emotionally stable enough to tour and his instability clearly has affected the recording of the album. But, his inability to let go and his insecurity/paranoia does NOT mean 1. The material isn't high quality 2. That it will never be released. It may be 5 years from now or it may be 20 years from now. We will see something someday. He is fucked up no doubt. But, I do have supreme faith in his one true ability-the ability to write honest, simplistic, and heartfelt melodies. Ultimately, that is what connects with a mass audience and that will again make him successful.  

I think thats an excellent point

The reason everything is so weird in the GNR world and nothing happens as it should is because Axl is bordering on insanity.

He can't seem to even get vocals down on the tracks let alone release them

The cancelled tours and total failure to communicate are not a sign of a healthy mind , untill Axl gets it together we won't be seeing much from them

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: