Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  the real reason everyone has overlooked why greatest hits was a bad idea!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the real reason everyone has overlooked why greatest hits was a bad idea!  (Read 2737 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: May 20, 2004, 12:38:50 AM »

the greatest hits was a horrible idea, not for the shitty tracklisting,the bringin back the memory of old gnr, the lawsuits axl and co filed against it

the reason it was a bad idea is because with all the success it has had, all it has done is bought axl more time for chinese democracy

and thats something we dont need!

axl was on the hook for 13 million dollars or so to the record label that they have pumped into c.d.

the record label gets usually around 7 dollars or so per cd sold

if greatest hits sells 4 million worldwide, thats 28 million dollars, it only has to go double platinum worldwide for the record label to recoupe all the money put into c.d.

so now the record label has no leverage to force axl to release cd

cause they have made their money back

so the quickest way for a release in my opinion was the label to force his hand

now i think the greatest hits has at least bought axl a couple more years anyway

so thats why in my opinion it was really bad to release the greatest hits!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:41:28 AM »

In the end the GHs was a good idea.
It got the gnr name out there and now the ppl who got GHs are waiting for a new gnr album.
And seeing how great that album sold, shitty tracklisting and all, shows you how great CD is going to sell when it finally comes out.
The GHs opened the door to an all new generation of gnr fans, and that is going to be huge.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:44:38 AM »

the record label gets usually around 7 dollars or so per cd sold

That's for domestic (US) sales D. though worldwide sales still churn a profit, they're reduced significantly with distribution rights sold to the importing countries..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 01:05:03 AM »

now i think the greatest hits has at least bought axl a couple more years anyway

This may be the truth nervous

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 01:23:11 AM »

Somewhat true.  Remember though:  Axl doesn't get all the money made for the greatest hits.  Meaning that the record company isn't considering this as much of a payback as it may seem.  They want to make a profit, and the GH is just another profit for them, not debt payment.  Axl owes them CD, and I doubt there stance has changed much because of the GH release.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 02:29:46 AM »

Either Axl has to beat his demons to release the album, or the cd's will come out after he has passed on

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 02:48:08 AM »

I think the Gh was a good idea in theory becasue the world has almost forgotten GNR and how big they were, they were the beatles of more modern times, so the Gh has sort of rekindled a spark that may get more people interested in lookin up what GNR is now and waiting for CD

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
winter_rose
Staremaster
Headliner

You?re one in a million

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 09:27:54 AM »

I think the Gh was a good idea in theory becasue the world has almost forgotten GNR and how big they were, they were the beatles of more modern times, so the Gh has sort of rekindled a spark that may get more people interested in lookin up what GNR is now and waiting for CD

I didn't buy the greatest hits and i'm sure there are a lot of fans out there who didn't but the amount of sales goes to show that there are still people out there whoa re interested in GNR. What with all the interest in Contraband as well this can only spur Axl on to release CD. He knows that there are stil GNR fans who are genuinely interested in what he does and are not all Axl haters.

I got a thought that would be nice
I like to crush your head tight in my vice - PAIN!!!!!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 09:33:24 AM »

I didn't buy the greatest hits and i'm sure there are a lot of fans out there who didn't but the amount of sales goes to show that there are still people out there whoa re interested in GNR. What with all the interest in Contraband as well this can only spur Axl on to release CD. He knows that there are stil GNR fans who are genuinely interested in what he does and are not all Axl haters.

True but back in GN'R's day this album would have sold a few million copies already. I think the people who have bought it are divided 50/50. Half are diehard fans, the other half are old fans who have moved on and seen it at the store and decided to have the best(well almost the best) on 1 album.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 09:48:21 AM »

"I didn't buy the greatest hits and i'm sure there are a lot of fans out there who didn't but the amount of sales goes to show that there are still people out there whoa re interested in GNR. What with all the interest in Contraband as well this can only spur Axl on to release CD. He knows that there are stil GNR fans who are genuinely interested in what he does and are not all Axl haters"

I didn't buy the GH album either. IMO the amount of sales shows people are interested in the legacy that WAS GNR...because all that GH is, is a compilation of the music that was created by the old formation of GNR, the band that WAS...and yes, people dig that stuff.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: