Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227925 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When is the next GNR window ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When is the next GNR window ?  (Read 42174 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »

Here's a hypothetical question for all of you who think GN'R "needs" to release a new album before the next tour:
Imagine the next tour has two-four new songs from the new/upcoming album. The rest of the set list is similar to what's been the case so far. Will this make a huge difference to you and enough to make you buy a ticket?

I would likely buy a ticket anyway.  Most of us would.

But I would see that as big time progress.  And a great sign to the fanbase in terms of hope.

As a contrast, many of us love the band. We love to see the band on stage. It doesn't really matter which tracks from what albums they choose to perform or what label you put on the tour. Everybody has their favorite(s). But a show is never bad because they didn't play all your favorites.....  Smiley

I think this particular stage show and setlist is a bit played out.  Been how many years now?  Its not some crime to say that.

And we are fans.  We will always be interested.  Even we haters and dissidents are here the next day looking for clips of a tour we are told everyday we root to fail.  We don't hate.  We ask why this seems to be all there is. 

They adopt your playing a few new honest to god new songs plan?  Different ballgame.  It implies moving forward.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »

I wanna see the show they've been doing.
Those are all the best GNR songs.
If I went and they didn't play Street of Dreams, Madagascar, or Knockin' on Heaven's Door, I would be disappointed!
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

They haven't played Madagascar in years I don't think.

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

The band members and their talk of a new album is irrelevant to me as well.  They may not reveal anything because they were asked to not say anything or because they personally don't want to be dinged if something doesn't come to pass when they thought it would.

Its cool if none of that matters to you, but you can't deny that sentiment is out there that it hurts this band's credibility.  

"Why do people say this isn't a real band?"

What you just typed.  What you just typed is why people say that.  

When people say this is your basic touring band that plays old GNR songs for Axl to sing live, its because of repeated instances of what you just typed.  And when pressed for further comment, get fed "well, there is no band like Guns N' Roses, rock-n-roll!!"

Well, that's tired.   And no one buys it anymore.  

The interesting thing would be Axl's next comments on new music. But, then again, he may not choose to go into too much detail either for whatever reason.  That doesn't mean that things weren't worked on during this time off.

If the next dates are in May, and we are no further along, we're probably never going to be.

And again, if that's how it is, that's how it is.  We can't hold a gun to his head.  

But maybe we put the "how can you say he's not interested in releasing anything new" routine in permamnt dry dock, huh?  At some point, its put up or shut up time.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »

They haven't played Madagascar in years I don't think.

Yeah, after being such a staple.  I found that surprising.

I think it works very well live.  Have since the first time I heard it at RIR III.  Still my favorite version.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »

I haven't really enjoyed "new" madagascar after they softened up the solo so much.

The rio 2001-version is the real thing smoking

You could describe what he said as working on the new album, I suppose.

He said; That's already recorded. So...working on the release is more like it I guess.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:02:07 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »

but you can't deny that sentiment is out there that it hurts this band's credibility.

Successful tours all over the world; Vegas 2012 show Blu-ray/DVD #1 on Amazon and sells out to the point that it's on back-order; Legions of dedicated rabid GNR fans "following" every move on twitter/fb/instagram/etc made by each GNR band member..... BECAUSE THEY ARE GUNS N' ROSES!!!!

That's what it means to have band credibility.

No one is buying your story that you're only being critical because you want the entire world to know and love GNR as much as you do.

You're such a hater and reunionist that you're so blinded to all the success and even to the guys giving silly, JOKING, non-answers in interviews to questions that they can't or won't (because they don't think it's their place to "announce" such things) or don't have answers to.

Stop ruining every thread with your bullshit!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »

Successful tours all over the world; Vegas 2012 show Blu-ray/DVD #1 on Amazon and sells out to the point that it's on back-order; Legions of dedicated rabid GNR fans "following" every move on twitter/fb/instagram/etc made by each GNR band member..... BECAUSE THEY ARE GUNS N' ROSES!!!!

That's what it means to have band credibility.

Hmm...not really.

No one outside the dyed in the wool, post everyday on forums, never gonna lose us diehards think they are a credible band that does stuff.  And let's be honest, even that small segment of overall fandom is pretty fragmented.  There is a far bigger segment that questions what the "plan" supposedly is here.

No one is buying your story that you're only being critical because you want the entire world to know and love GNR as much as you do.

I comment on what I see. 

If you want to read how anything and everything is sunshine and puppy dog tails, you might as well stop reading my posts.  I react to what I see.  Sometimes, its good (Axl's latest interview).  Sometimes, its bad (occasionally shaky live vocals).  If anything, I'm fair.  But you just want a pom-pom waver and I'm not that guy.  If you want to hear 'Everything Is Awesome', go download 'The LEGO Movie'.

You're such a hater and reunionist that you're so blinded to all the success and even to the guys giving silly, JOKING, non-answers in interviews to questions that they can't or won't (because they don't think it's their place to "announce" such things) or don't have answers to.

I'm a reunionist now?  That's classic. 

This must be why I make repeated calls not only for a new album of new songs, I actually go as far as to say I would rather it be done by the current onstage line-up.

And you find these are the typical opinions of a reunionist?  Might want to double check that formula, guy.

Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »

If you forget the arguments on both sides about who deserves what and look at the facts,

Its a fact that Axl has now mentioned that he is seriously looking at releasing what he calls 'the second half of Chinese' - the fact that he's talking about releasing it makes me excited. I just loved when CD finally came out, its still one of my favorite records of all time, so to think that I'm going to one day get another 10-15 songs from Guns N Roses is a dream to me. Unlike others, I take the comment about new music being released at face value.

In terms of seeing them live, if they play the UK, I'll be there, regardless of the set list. Seeing this band live is an amazing experience. I've seen them live four times but next tour I'll double that count! Still really want to see them at the O2.

I know Axls track record for releasing music is not the best, whether this is down to him or things outside of his control is just speculation but he's got my backing, I wish him and the band all the success in the world if and when something happens to continue this journey.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »

Its a fact that Axl has now mentioned that he is seriously looking at releasing what he calls 'the second half of Chinese' - the fact that he's talking about releasing it makes me excited. I just loved when CD finally came out, its still one of my favorite records of all time, so to think that I'm going to one day get another 10-15 songs from Guns N Roses is a dream to me. Unlike others, I take the comment about new music being released at face value.

You have to look at it as a positive.

You can't sit there and rip him for never talking about new music, and then not give him props when he does.  That was the most positive Axl interview I've read in 20 years.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

I think this particular stage show and setlist is a bit played out.  Been how many years now?  Its not some crime to say that.

Just saying this as someone who's been present at multiple legs of the tour. The stage show that debuted in Asia in 2009 and the one used in Las Vegas last month weren't the same. Sorry.
Sometimes the changes have been bigger, other times less obvious. But there's been some kind of changes almost every new leg.

"It's the same setlist"... Whatever.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »

Just saying this as someone who's been present at multiple legs of the tour. The stage show that debuted in Asia in 2009 and the one used in Las Vegas last month weren't the same. Sorry.
Sometimes the changes have been bigger, other times less obvious. But there's been some kind of changes almost every new leg.

It's the same setlist"... Whatever.

I was very supportive of your pitch about the same setlist with a few actual new songs in the mix.

Why can't we talk about that?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »

"It's the same setlist"... Whatever.

/jarmo

Vegas showed some variety, for sure.  It showed what the band would likely do if they were playing to an audience that was seeing multiple shows, and not one show in a particular region per leg.

And if they stopped playing WTTJ, SCOM, Patience, PC, LALD, KOHD, Nighttrain, Brownstone....you get the picture...people would riot. OK, that's hyperbole and given the bands history..maybe poorly phrased.  People would rage....

They DO swap through some of the other stuff.  But, of their entire set list, I'd say only about 30% of the songs (and I think that's being generous) are "changeable" without potentially having a number of fans be disappointed.  You can't just add and run a 4 hour, play every album from start to finish, and add a few covers, show.  That's not realistic.  And assuming a 90 min to 2 hour show....

So...keeping in mind they want to appeal to the broadest audience possible (and not necessarily people who have seen, or monitor, more than one show on a particular tour)...I'm not sure what they can drop to add other stuff.

I'd LOVE to see them do Coma, live.  It's a dream of mine.  But...I recognize that's a relatively deep cut, really appreciated by a deeper segment of the fan base...and so it can't replace, say, WTTJ on the set list.  Maybe it could replace Estranged, once in awhile..but that song has broader recognition AND it's appreciated by the deeper segment of the fan base. It kills 2 birds with one stone.

Cue complaints about all the solos....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »

I try not to worry about "new music".  It'll happen, when it happens.  Any other attitude with this band and you'll drive yourself crazy.

I worry more about the next concert.  It means the GNR machine is intact and still moving....

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »

Because I don't believe it. I don't believe that people like yourself will be happy, ever. Momentarily maybe, but then the week after there's something else that needs to be "brought up".
Doesn't matter if there's a new live release that you "needed" (?) because it would make this band a "real band", here you are finding something to complain about... "It's the same setlist".

You would think that the people who complain about "the same setlist", "nothing new from the band" and "no interviews" would be somewhat surprised and possibly able to hide their negativity at least for a few weeks after all those "issues" have been made void when the band played songs like Prostitute last month, a new live release was just released, and there was a new interview with Axl... But no... Smiley

So, this is why it's difficult to take anything you say seriously. There's always something wrong.
No offense. Just an observation from the other side of the fence. Where the grass is green.... And so on!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

Because I don't believe it. I don't believe that people like yourself will be happy, ever. Momentarily maybe, but then the week after there's something else that needs to be "brought up".
Doesn't matter if there's a new live release that you "needed" (?) because it would make this band a "real band", here you are finding something to complain about... "It's the same setlist".

I suppose its easier when you do both parts of the conversation.  Tends to go how you'd like.

Hey, what number am I thinking of right now?

You would think that the people who complain about "the same setlist", "nothing new from the band" and "no interviews" would be somewhat surprised and possibly able to hide their negativity at least for a few weeks after all those "issues" have been made void when the band played songs like Prostitute last month, a new live release was just released, and there was a new interview with Axl... But no... Smiley

This would hold more weight if I was not in various threads talking about how great Axl sounded on those clips, how welcome the dusting off of the songs was, and how good they sounded in comparison to other times they were tried.

But yeah, other than all that, I had nothing to say on the matter. 

So, this is why it's difficult to take anything you say seriously.

You want, if not outright demand, a legion of pom-pom wavers.  That is how you define the term "fan".  I don't subscribe to that mindset, nor find it credible.

On this, we will never agree.  Doesn't mean we can't have some laughs along the way.  Its a rock band, not real life.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »

The band members and their talk of a new album is irrelevant to me as well.  They may not reveal anything because they were asked to not say anything or because they personally don't want to be dinged if something doesn't come to pass when they thought it would.

Its cool if none of that matters to you, but you can't deny that sentiment is out there that it hurts this band's credibility.  

"Why do people say this isn't a real band?"

What you just typed.  What you just typed is why people say that.  

When people say this is your basic touring band that plays old GNR songs for Axl to sing live, its because of repeated instances of what you just typed.  And when pressed for further comment, get fed "well, there is no band like Guns N' Roses, rock-n-roll!!"

Well, that's tired.   And no one buys it anymore.  

The interesting thing would be Axl's next comments on new music. But, then again, he may not choose to go into too much detail either for whatever reason.  That doesn't mean that things weren't worked on during this time off.

If the next dates are in May, and we are no further along, we're probably never going to be.

And again, if that's how it is, that's how it is.  We can't hold a gun to his head.  

But maybe we put the "how can you say he's not interested in releasing anything new" routine in permamnt dry dock, huh?  At some point, its put up or shut up time.
Sure, it hurts the band members' credibility if you assume that not saying anything about a new album is the result of genuinely being unaware as opposed to choosing to not saying, or being asked to not saying, or if it genuinely hasn't been something that was being seriously thought about until after Vegas (as Axl said).

If someone has already established their narrative that "this is your basic touring band that plays old GNR songs for Axl to sing live", I think they will view things in such a way that reinforces their already existing narrative, like what I was alluding to above.  

I understand.  It's human nature.  But, it doesn't mean it's correct, which is why I said the band members and their talk of a new album is irrelevant to me.

If the next dates roll around next Spring or so, the album may be closer to being done.  We just may not know about it.  Axl's comments on it may or may not be a measure of that depending on how he chooses to answer.  So, again, I'm not sure how to judge how far along things are from our limited vantage point.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »

You want, if not outright demand, a legion of pom-pom wavers.  That is how you define the term "fan".  I don't subscribe to that mindset, nor find it credible.

A fan to me is somebody whose first thoughts aren't "let's see what's wrong with my "favorite" band today?"... Simple. Wink

I'm sorry that only a few weeks (?) after you had something nice to say you're back to your old routine!

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »

If someone has already established their narrative that "this is your basic touring band that plays old GNR songs for Axl to sing live", I think they will view things in such a way that reinforces their already existing narrative, like what I was alluding to above.

Being provided with nothing to refute that over several years time and several breaks between minimally changing touring legs is going to lead people to say such things.

I can't see faulting them for it.  

If the next dates roll around next Spring or so, the album may be closer to being done.  We just may not know about it.  Axl's comments on it may or may not be a measure of that depending on how he chooses to answer.  So, again, I'm not sure how to judge how far along things are from our limited vantage point.

Fair.

But to take 8 more months (or so) and still be on "we are still deciding what to do", well, that's the answer right there, no?  They certainly won't be doing any recording, mixing, or readying for release once more touring starts.  Not realistic and no one should reasonably expect that.  So if no progress is made in the interim before the next tour, it won't be anytime soon.  And wondering what exactly you can't decide on in 8 months, looks at songs already done, is going to be a valid question.

Is that fair?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »

A fan to me is somebody whose first thoughts aren't "let's see what's wrong with my "favorite" band today?"... Simple. Wink

I'm sorry that only a few weeks (?) after you had something nice to say you're back to your old routine!

Apology accepted. Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: