Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Flashback: Sympathy for the Devil
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flashback: Sympathy for the Devil  (Read 21763 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: October 25, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

The last Guns N' Roses song to feature Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, while the first to feature Paul "Huge" Tobias, Sympathy for the Devil thus marks a segue from the "old" band to the beginnings of the "new" band. A cover, the song was recorded in October 1994 and features Axl, Slash, Paul, Duff, Matt and Dizzy and it was released as a single in December 1994 as well as on the soundtrack of the popular film, "Interview with a Vampire." As the song is almost from a hybrid lineup of Guns, featuring the core of "new GN'R" (Axl, Paul, Dizzy) and the core of "old GN'R" (Axl, Slash, Duff), it's an interesting piece.

I'm interested to hear what your views were on the song back in 1994/early 1995 and how you feel about it now, 20 years later.
Annie
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »

I loved it. Was a great version.  Loved the movie too.  Tom Cruise proved everybody wrong and he delivered a totally awesome performance of LESTAT!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »

The movie was great.  Really wished there was a second one

As for the song.

When it was released.  I was like, meh..  Just another cover song from a band that already had officially released way to many covers to actual original music

As for now.

I would love to hear it played live
Annie
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »

I would love to see it performed live as well.  Several years back I saw this goofy topless vampire show called BITE at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas that used the GNR version in the show.  Was kinda cool to hear it. The performance was live even though the music was a recording
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »

I would love to see it performed live as well.  Several years back I saw this goofy topless vampire show called BITE at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas that used the GNR version in the show.  Was kinda cool to hear it. The performance was live even though the music was a recording

haha, I don't that show sounds goofy at all.  A topless vampire show, actually sounds pretty hot.
Annie
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »

haha, I don't that show sounds goofy at all.  A topless vampire show, actually sounds pretty hot.

Boobs aside. It was just one of those shows that was so bad that it was good.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »

I really enjoyed the movie and glad to hear GNR at the end of it. As for the song, I like it better than the original version.

Annie
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »

I really enjoyed the movie and glad to hear GNR at the end of it. As for the song, I like it better than the original version.
Me too !
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:37 PM »

I will go with the Stones...hard to top that since it is one of the greatest rock songs of all time. Like the Baconman, too many covers for my taste at the time....was jonesing for some original material in 1994.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

Great cover. I think its one of GNRs most underated tunes.

Im not sure is it even possible to top the original version.

Guns version sounds still fresh and they added some great things to it.
Matt did a great job in this one, regarding theres almost no drums on the original version, he arranged totally his own parts, and did it perfectly. I really like what he plays from 6:40 onwards, typical Matt simple powerful stuff. Great solo by Paul in that part too.

Axl is spot on, Dizzy is spot on. I actually think the guitar parts by Paul are really cool. The last 3 minutes sounds like a kegger.

Probably the first recording Duff did after his near death experience.

Great backing vocals by Duff and Paul

I have always like ending with ''thats my name''. ''give? us the boy'' ''dont forget to drink your milk''.
I wonder who said those last lines.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »

Yet another song I was introduced by due to a GN'R cover...Others include Mama Kin, Live and Let Die, Dead Flowers, Bad Time to Be in Love, Wild Horses, all of SI excluding Big Dumb Sex and SIDHY, Whole Lot of Rosie, "Sail away Sweet Sister", Dust in the Wind and any Rose Tatoo played fpduring CD tour..
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »

I always really dug it. 

Love Axl's vocal and I think Slash really tears up that solo.  I still listen to it pretty often. 

But its hard not to think of all the bullshit that came with recording it.  So, sort of a bittersweet tune for me.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:26:35 AM »

Jane's Addiction also did a decent cover of Sympathy, although I like the GNR version better.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »

Love it. Better than Stones. This actually was the first Guns release I waited for before it was released. I got into Gn'R a year or so earlier. I was 9, and didn't realize it was a cover.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 05:40:10 AM »

I thought it were Slashs parts and Paul "imitated" them because Axl said so.

great tune. Slash said you here the band breaking up and he wasn't into it because of the whole PAul Huge drama but I tinnk it's great. I also dig the question-answer soloing which Axl wanted. Slash didn't want to do it but fortunately he gave in and kept the f'n thing going...

EDIT:
I postet the same post in another thread. I don't know why!?

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »

I like some parts, but the whole thing is too pompous.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »

I always really dug it. 

Love Axl's vocal and I think Slash really tears up that solo.  I still listen to it pretty often. 

But its hard not to think of all the bullshit that came with recording it.  So, sort of a bittersweet tune for me.

Yup . I don't like it for that reason as well, plus I like the original a lot.

There's a couple of songs in the bands history, that I can't help but think of the BS drama when hearing it.

I loved the movie... and love when the song comes on at the end doe !

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 12:43:20 PM »

I was 4 years old in late 94.. The first time I heard the song was probably when I first listened to the Greatest Hits album in 2004. Thought it was awesome back then, still thinks it's pretty awesome but rarely listen to it. Got no problem with Paul's parts during the solo.
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »

Killer tune love Axls vocals but I concur with the above its bitter sweet knowing the baggage this song came with.   That being said I've always wanted to hear them do it live.  Be a stellar show opener.  Maybe it will all begin where it ended ✌

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »

I was 4 years old in late 94.. The first time I heard the song was probably when I first listened to the Greatest Hits album in 2004. Thought it was awesome back then, still thinks it's pretty awesome but rarely listen to it. Got no problem with Paul's parts during the solo.

No issue with the way his parts sound either. Just a bad situation.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: