Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:19:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227890 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Which is the better album UYI I or II
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which is the better album UYI I or II  (Read 7032 times)
Darloboy
Opening Act

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 06:37:52 AM »

UYI I by a country mile.

Great songs such as:

Right Next Door To Hell
Live And Let Die
Don't Cry
Bad Obsession (most underrated GnR song)
Double Talkin' Jive
November Rain
The Garden
Garden Of Eden
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Coma

How can it not be better?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 06:38:53 AM by Darloboy » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 12:25:17 PM »

UYI 1 is definately the rawer and grittier album of the twins, while UYI 2 has a majority of tracks reaching the, and over the 6 minute mark, and is to me an album full of rock epics and ballad epics. Personally I love both of the albums but I definately prefer UYI 2, just because I love and am still amazed by every song on the album except of course for My World. UYI 1 just never did grow on me as much as UYI 2 did. Dont get me wrong I love that album as well, but it just seems like its got alot of filler on it, with the gems of the album being Double Talking Jive, November Rain, and Coma.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
DJM
Headliner

Axl Rose is GOD!

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2004, 06:12:22 PM »

I say UY1 because songs like coma & dead horse are just quality songs at the end of the album

like the tide out on the ocean
the wave's already set in motion
the only one in the game who's lost is you!
FragileVision
Opening Act

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2004, 10:36:55 PM »

UYI II, definitely.

Civil War, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Breakdown, Estranged, You Could Be Mine...

All of these are absolutely fantastic. I even enjoy the questionable closer, My World.  Shocked

Overall, the album just seems like it has more to it, and UYI I gets quite repetitive after a while, with average lyrics on many songs and not quite as much creativity (The Garden and Double Talkin' Jive are notable exceptions; Those songs rock.)

I tried to see it your way...
ktucker450
Rocker

Don't follow my footsteps, i walk into poles

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 01:54:24 AM »

For me that really is a tough question to answer.  Seeming how as my favourite between the two is always changing, It really depends on my mood.  Both cds have awesome songs, my favourite song is on Use Your Illusion 2 tho.  I love the studio version of Knocking on Heaven's Door, but in general as a whole I think Use Your Illusion 1 does have more good songs than the second, really I think it just depends all in the mood I am.  Could you imagine how insanely good and classic of an album this could have been if Guns had taken all the best material and put it on one disc...
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 09:58:13 AM »

I've been asking myself this question for many,many years and I still haven't found an answer! Whenever I start loving one of them more,the other kicks me in the ass with something I haven't noticed before. I say let them be and don't try comparing

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Evolution
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »

I say let them be and don't try comparing

my sentiments exactly. 2 different albums for 2 different moods ok
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 11:55:17 AM »

Use Your Illusion 2 is the best.

And, Shotgun Blues is a GREAT SONG.  

Locotomotive, Civil War, 14 Years, Estranged, You Could Be Mine, Yesterdays etc.

Things I don't like about the album?  I don't want the alternate Don't Cry On There.  I don't want So Fine on there.  I don't like some of the electronic garbage in the songs.  Like the phone dialing shit on KOHD, and "we fill that vaccuum" stuff in Civil War and other examples.

But, it is an amazing album.

UY1

Also, Coma is overrated and I don't get how some people can call it a masterpiece or put it on the same level as other songs.

Dust N Bones I could live without.  Bad Obsession, Double Talkin Jive, The Garden Of Eden sucks, etc etc .  UY1 has a lot of material that doesn't interest me.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 01:42:20 PM »

It's hard to decide because the albums are pretty different sounding.  I guess I like 2 a little better because I like the best songs on that disc better than the best songs on 1, but 1 doesn't really have any songs I skip while 2 has a couple that I almost always pass on, Get In The Ring and My World.  But songs like 14 Years, Estranged, Civil War, and You Could Be Mine make up for that.
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 08:25:46 PM »

I think both albums are good but I like UYI II better clearly because of You Could Be Mine. But, also because of songs like Civil War, Knocking On Heavens Door, Get in The Ring, Shotgun Blues and Pretty Tied Up.

But, I like UYI I too for songs like Don't Cry, You Ain't The 1st, Bad Obession and Don't Damn Me.
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2004, 10:05:58 PM »

They are both amazing albums, but I like Use Your Illusion I better.  First of all, there are two more songs (16 to 14).  Secondly, it's a more "Guns N' Roses" album with more songs that had input of Izzy Stradlin, the best songwriter in the band.  Live and Let Die is a better cover than Knockin' On Heaven's Door.  Dead Horse is one of their best rockers, along with Double Talkin' Jive and Don't Damn Me.  Don't Cry is a great ballad.  November Rain is one of their top five songs of all time.  And, songs like Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession, and Right Next Door to Hell are great.  Let me not forget Dust N' Bones (this is one of the most underrated songs of all time).  Not to say II isn't great, with Civil War, Estranged, You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied Up, 14 Years, and KOHD.  But Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, and My World are their three worst songs ever, plus the alternate version of Don't Cry isn't as good or original.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: