Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Where's the Attitude!? The "edge"!? (Better, IRS)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where's the Attitude!? The "edge"!? (Better, IRS)  (Read 10387 times)
mrvics
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 03:58:19 AM »

Don't forget silkworms!  If you like edgy profanity. check that one out. 

Actually I do tend to agree with mrvics, but we have only heard three new songs so far.  There could be some more profanity on some of the other tracks, but I don't think that profanity would have fit in "better".  Had he used it I think it would have sounded forced.   It wouldn't have flowed in the spot that you suggested.  If he would have sang " I should have known you're fucking crazy," i think it would have sounded a little awkward.  Because at the rate the vocals were going and such, if he would've probably thrown the rest of the song off.

But I think that when axl includes profanity, he does it wisely to illustrate just how extremely pissed or else it actually makes the lyrical flow smoother, like in out ta get me the first time he says, "i got somethin i've been building up inside for so fuckiiing long".   It just fits in that song and would sound kinda weird if he sang i got somethin i've been building up inside for so loooooong, it would have sounded lame, and that is why I think he is one of the best for knowing when and when not to use profanity.

Good points. 
GunnerRose
Headliner

You can make my money Tonight!

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 06:25:27 AM »

Axl is 44 years old and lives in a Mansion. You can only be so pissed off.
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »

What's with the Family-Friendly lyrics?? ?In my opinion, these songs would be a lot more convincing if they used a little explicit language.? Especially IRS.? I love Axl's soft, love songs, no doubt, but where's the fuckin' attitude and conviction and "edge" in songs like IRS and Better!?? I'm not looking for another AFD, just a few "I dont give a fucks", "fuck yous" etc.

What do ya'll think?? Would these songs be a litte more effective with some adult language?

V~

P.S.
Am I breaking any of the forum rules by using bad words??

Now that I've heard the Full Version of "Better" I'd have to say that there's quite a lot of Edge to it - Without the need for swearing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:47:02 AM by neon2002 » Logged

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »

Dude you dont need fucks shits fuck yous whore bitch to have a good songs. SCOM did have a fuck you  nor did wttj or pc and they were all kick ass songs.

tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 11:20:24 AM »

There is tons of attitude in Better. The heavy part has wicked attitude. IRS has some attitude, not as much as Better though.
RichardNixon
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »

better is full of balls
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 11:28:10 AM »

Yea better kicks its such a good song!

godiva
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 11:31:34 AM »

Till this post I never even thought about the absence of swear words and not for one second have I missed 'attitude' or 'edge'. I think Axl channelled his anger in another way. These songs kick ass, using swear words wouldn't really add or substract anything in them. I think there will be lots of songs with swear words on CD to satisfy that need. Hey, maybe if the leaks were intentional, it was decided to leak those without foul language so more radio stations would play it.....  hihi I'm just kidding here.....
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 11:42:53 AM »

I think Axl is expressing his edge and profanity in the type of songs and direction there going rather than actually saying it on a particular song.....Better has balls and an edge dont you think?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
tp4ever84
Headliner

GNR For Fucking Ever

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 11:53:49 AM »

Axl never used profanity to much just thrown in everyonce in awhile in the middle of song on the verse usually. 
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 12:50:45 PM »

I am going to agree with the Thread starter. Appetite was masterful not just because of its awesome music...but because of its extreme honesty. That was something missing from music then. Honesty. That is missing from much of todays music too.

Whether one can say something without droping the Fuck bomb, it is how people talk. Now saying that, I actually think a lot of the language on the UYI's was forced. Appetite was real, and the lyrics were as fucking real as it gets. So I think they had to try and maintain the Fuck you attitude. But it was forced, and didnt seem as natural in places.

We have only heard a few tracks now. TWAT would be very innapropriate for the fucking attitude, but I think IRS is. It helps emphasize you rage, and Axl does seem a little pissed with his pissed off Axl voice (which is always fucking cool).

A good old screaming fuck might be cool.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »

No fucking way.
/jarmo

rofl

Bad words are fine, but they're overdone by most bands. Black metal bands tend to be more subtle and sneaky with their blasphemy, and death metal bands actually prefer to use accurate medical terminology. Single syllable curse words don't have the same impact as HEMORRHAGE EJACULATION DEFECATION!!!!!!!  rant  rant  rant

I think most songs work better without curse words because the words themselves aren't expressive and are overused. They're used in rap as placeholder words, and their purpose in rock is very limited. Axl isn't a punk. He can do without excessive swearing.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:54 PM »

Don't forget silkworms!  If you like edgy profanity. check that one out. 
 hihi
You beat me. hihi

Anyone can swear. Maybe it was edgy in the AFD era but not anymore.
like ARV's favourite words "oh fuck!" hihi
SLCPUNK
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »

What do ya'll think?  Would these songs be a litte more effective with some adult language?

Why should you have to cuss to get your point across or make it a killer song?

If you have to saturate a song with the F bomb then you don't have strong material IMO.

The F word used correctly is very effective in getting its point across. But the F word used over and over again loses that effect.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

The F word used correctly is very effective in getting its point across. But the F word used over and over again loses that effect.

Hm, reminds me of that offspring song, the driving one off of Smash.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 02:26:11 PM »

... well, Axl isn't 25 anymore.

I'm guessing he's realised that if you swear constantly you're seen as pretty dumb.
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 02:33:40 PM »

... well, Axl isn't 25 anymore.

I'm guessing he's realised that if you swear constantly you're seen as pretty dumb.

depends on what clothes you give round the swear words. He combines intelectual words with swear words in logical smart sentences with here and there a funny reference. He gets away with it cause he ain't no dumb motha  ok

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 02:36:24 PM »

i think considering that he was callin her a twat metaphorically in there was a time, i think thats explicit enough for me. otherwise i don't mind it at all.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
SLCPUNK
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »

Hm, reminds me of that offspring song, the driving one off of Smash.

I am not familar with that song......
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »

I am not familar with that song......

It's called "bad habit". Pretentious.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: