Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 06:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses Night on American Idol?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses Night on American Idol?  (Read 25915 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »

American Idol would not be prostituting himself. Okay check. "I am not going to do proper interviews and covers but, American Idol... fuck yea!"

No. No fucking way Axl agrees to this. No fucking way. It would pain me so fucking much and personally I have gained respect for Axl over his handling of Chinese Democracy. He has walked the walk unlike others who only claimed they would. This would be a big time sell out. That is why I say there is no fucking way Axl would agree to this.

.... now if it was up to Slash, yea this would have probably happened already.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »

I don't watch AI, but the people at work have an AI survivor thing going on.  Everyone knows I'm a big GNR fan, so I would hear ALL about it  confused

Anyway...can you see Axl not swearing long enough to judge?  Or accidently offending someone with a facial expression during their singing or whatever.

Dear God, don't let it be something that will happen hihi

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »

Once again, IF this has any ounce of truth to it, it doesn't necessarily mean Axl would show up on the show.  It was Michael Jackson night this week and he wasn't there.  They just sang his music.  That wouldn't be too painful for me, especially if they sing a few CD songs.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 08:42:50 PM »

If they use this show in any way to promote Chinese then it is going to be prostituting.  No then different than doing a commercial for something like say Volkswagon.  Maybe even worse.  I don't see this as happening Axl has seemed to hold off on anything absurd like this and like I said I am hoping beyond hope that is was just an off the cuff remark.
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »

If they do it, and do it as being just about the music  - without Axl present there coaching the people, or sitting between Simon and Paula to judge everyone - then it's fine with me.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »

Maybe someone can clarify.... but if they decide to have a "Guns N' Roses" night, they don't really need anyone's permission right?  Aren't people allowed to perform cover songs whenever they want?
axe
Rocker

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »

Maybe someone can clarify.... but if they decide to have a "Guns N' Roses" night, they don't really need anyone's permission right?  Aren't people allowed to perform cover songs whenever they want?

Yes, they are. It's only on these boards where people think that if someone says in public "oh, you're such a sweet child", or plays guitar tuned half a step down, or - dear god! - happens to enjoy GNR so much that wants to sing their song, then Axl is definately going to sue his or her ass, and has every right to do so because surely it is breaking some copyright rule, right?
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 08:32:26 PM »

They'd only do the hits, the well known classic ones, they want votes and with respect the majority of songs from CD are not "Classic or Hits" at this moment in time, well not to Joe Public as a mass audience. We've seen in the UK bad choice of songs by an artist=struggle to get votes, regardless of how well (or not) the song is sung...

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »

Last season, there was a contestant from Axl's hometown.  I've forgotten her name, but she was one of the rocker chicks.  Anyway, she wanted to perform a GN'R song, but couldn't because Axl denied permission to use whatever song it was.  I'd be surprised if that situation has changed.  Although, Axl was name-dropped during the audition rounds (IIRC, the first episode).  It was nothing important; Ryan Seacrest simply mentioned Axl while talking to some rocker-wannabe.  And at one point in time, the AI tour included "Patience".
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2009, 11:35:45 PM »

Yes, they are. It's only on these boards where people think that if someone says in public "oh, you're such a sweet child", or plays guitar tuned half a step down, or - dear god! - happens to enjoy GNR so much that wants to sing their song, then Axl is definately going to sue his or her ass, and has every right to do so because surely it is breaking some copyright rule, right?
I'm not so sure.  I actually think they WOULD need to get permission.  I mean it's one thing if ONE contestant wants to sing a GNR song, that would be fine.  But if American Idol was going to advertise and bill an entire show as "Guns N' Roses night" I would think they'd need permission to do that.  They'd pretty much be using GNR to promote their show and I don't think they could do that without covering all the bases.

As for contestants performing ONLY classics.  That would make sense, on the one hand, if they do a good job with it.  It's what people know and are used to so if they do well people will respond favorably.  However, if they do a bad job with it, it would be easier to notice since the songs are so well known.  If a contestant were to sing a lesser known song from CD people wouldn't have a reference point to compare it to.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »

They'd pretty much be using GNR to promote their show and I don't think they could do that without covering all the bases.

They can ask Dr. Pepper about using GNR for promotion without permission.
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »

I'm not so sure.  I actually think they WOULD need to get permission.  I mean it's one thing if ONE contestant wants to sing a GNR song, that would be fine.  But if American Idol was going to advertise and bill an entire show as "Guns N' Roses night" I would think they'd need permission to do that.  They'd pretty much be using GNR to promote their show and I don't think they could do that without covering all the bases.

As for contestants performing ONLY classics.  That would make sense, on the one hand, if they do a good job with it.  It's what people know and are used to so if they do well people will respond favorably.  However, if they do a bad job with it, it would be easier to notice since the songs are so well known.  If a contestant were to sing a lesser known song from CD people wouldn't have a reference point to compare it to.

From what I know, they DO, in fact, need permission to use each and every song on that show. Contestants need to pick their songs directly from the AI catalog (songs that AI pays a royalty for in order to use)...they just can't pick anything they want.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »

From what I know, they DO, in fact, need permission to use each and every song on that show. Contestants need to pick their songs directly from the AI catalog (songs that AI pays a royalty for in order to use)...they just can't pick anything they want.

Exactly. Seems like I remember reading in some magazine a couple years ago how Kelly Clarkson wasn't giving AI permission to sing her songs, which everyone thought was ungrateful since AI is the reason for her success. The show has to have permission from the original artist. So far Axl hasn't allowed shows like AI and Rock Star to sing GNR songs. It's possible that could change now with CD out, but I doubt it.

Here Today . . .
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »

Exactly. Seems like I remember reading in some magazine a couple years ago how Kelly Clarkson wasn't giving AI permission to sing her songs, which everyone thought was ungrateful since AI is the reason for her success. The show has to have permission from the original artist. So far Axl hasn't allowed shows like AI and Rock Star to sing GNR songs. It's possible that could change now with CD out, but I doubt it.
if they made a deal with AI mabey on advertisement on CD i can see them giving AI some songs

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
AC
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »

There's no way any of the songs off Chinese lend themselves to be done on American Idol. Maybe Sweet Child, Don't Cry or possibly Better, but that's about it. Can you actually imagine someone singing Shackler's? LMFAO!

AA

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »

I'm singing Shackler's as we speak.  Embarrassed
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »

There's no way any of the songs off Chinese lend themselves to be done on American Idol. Maybe Sweet Child, Don't Cry or possibly Better, but that's about it. Can you actually imagine someone singing Shackler's? LMFAO!

AA
I would

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 11:39:56 PM »

For years AI couldn't use the Beatles songs or catalouge. When they finally allowed it , they gave it 2 weeks of time . But it took awhile for AI to get permission for it. Eventually they will get permission for Guns n Roses songs. We might as well learn to accept it. Hell maybe someone will do a good cover . Who knows...
Axls Black Cat
Opening Act

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »

Hell maybe someone will do a good cover . Who knows...

Shocked I can't see that - mind you miracles can happen.

Forever Faithful to myself and GN'R! :-D
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2009, 12:09:09 AM »

id watch it

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: