Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] The Apollo Theater ? New York, NY ? July 20, 2017
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] The Apollo Theater ? New York, NY ? July 20, 2017  (Read 180691 times)
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #640 on: July 21, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »

WHAT "situation"Huh
It's in YOUR head, nowhere else.
Are you owed something???

Splash

/Mike

No one is owed anything. But for a very long time you wait for a birthday party and there is a buzz with some billboards and all.

And then you get nothing. I don't have any kids but wouldn't want to be in a situation where friends are invited and no one comes. Everything prepared for at least 15 kids and just no one comes and you have your birthday on your own.

What are you even talking about?

What is the question? Axl runs the same show all around the world, some I went to, and then returns to his country of birth and has nothing special to deliver.

I understand you Americans don't travel the world and only go to your local gig and then it must be the same.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #641 on: July 21, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »

Not a lot of surprises with this band anymore, folks.  And that didn't start last week.

All I wanted out of this show was a great recording, in great quality, that I could put on my iPod.  I assume I will have that, so I am good to go.

As for the people with gripes, I'd argue that your expectations are ridiculous.  Can you sit here and stomp your feet about how they didn't play 'Pretty Tied Up' or 'Bad Obsession'?  I guess you could.  But I'd come right back and tell you that 'Pretty Tied Up' was last played in April 1992, and 'Bad Obsession' was last played in February 1993. 

So if you truly thought there was a good chance of either of those creeping into the setlist last night, you are living in god damn fantasyland.

I also don't get the "false advertising" gripe...because they showed the AFD cross in Times Square, that meant the "original" 5 were coming back and they were going to play AFD from beginning to end?  Christ, Beta even said Izzy and Steven wouldn't be there.  I get that we all have our wish list (Axl still hasn't called me up on stage (yet)), but claiming the band misled you in some way is nonsense.

And, not to ruin the North American tour for anyone...but the setlist is going to be the same that was played last night (and for the past 18 months and change), IMO of course.  Try to deal with those emotions now. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:56:26 AM by Ginger King » Logged
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #642 on: July 21, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »

WHAT "situation"Huh
It's in YOUR head, nowhere else.
Are you owed something???

Splash

/Mike

No one is owed anything. But for a very long time you wait for a birthday party and there is a buzz with some billboards and all.

And then you get nothing. I don't have any kids but wouldn't want to be in a situation where friends are invited and no one comes. Everything prepared for at least 15 kids and just no one comes and you have your birthday on your own.

What are you even talking about?

I don't know but now I'm pissed cause i want a fucking cake  rant

I was told that there would be cake.

Id like to have it and eat it too.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #643 on: July 21, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

Not a lot of surprises with this band anymore, folks.  And that didn't start last week.

All I wanted out of this show was a great recording, in great quality, that I could put on my iPod.  I assume I will have that, so I am good to go.

As for the people with gripes, I'd argue that your expectations are ridiculous.  Can you sit here and stomp your feet about how they didn't play 'Pretty Tied Up' or 'Bad Obsession'?  I guess you could.  But I'd come right back and tell you that 'Pretty Tied Up' was last played in April 1992, and 'Bad Obsession' was last played in February 1993. 

So if you truly thought there was a good chance of either of those creeping into the setlist last night, you are living in god damn fantasyland.

I also don't get the "false advertising" gripe...because they showed the AFD cross in Times Square, that meant the "original" 5 were coming back and they were going to play AFD from beginning to end?  Christ, Beta even said Izzy and Steven wouldn't be there.  I get that we all have our wish list (Axl still hasn't called me up on stage (yet)), but claiming the band misled you in some way is nonsense.

And, not to ruin the North American tour for anyone...but the setlist is going to be the same that was played last night (and for the past 18 months and change), IMO of course.  Try to deal with those emotions now. 

You've got to admit those posters were pretty weird though right? I mean, why bother? All it did was raise people's expectations. If you're not celebrating Appetite's 30th, OK cool, just do a show- no problem. But putting them up? People are going to start speculating, naturally.

It's similar to the hype they let build up with the 'big announcement', which was more shows added. It makes no sense, and just fuels disappointment.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #644 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »

Pretty much.  I have my ticket for October 8th, and I can pretty much already tell you the setlist, within a song or two.

People need to live in the now, not the in the days of wayback.

Mike Tyson didn't wind up fighting Lennox Lewis until 2002.  Mike was long past his best.  But people still thought he could go in there and wreck Lennox's shit.  To which Lennox said :

"People expect the guy that tore Michael Spinks apart in 91 seconds.  That was 1988.  Mike hasn't been that guy in a long, long time."

And it's the same thing here.  This is not "The Most Dangerous Band In The World" anymore, and hasn't been for decades.  To expect them to suddenyl revert right back to that out of nowhere is just not realistic.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #645 on: July 21, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »

I was surprised they didn't pack in more Appetite songs last night... especially after Trunk said they were rehearsing stuff they hadn't played in a while.

But when did the band advertise this as an Appetite reunion or anniversary show? They really didn't...

This was a SIRIUS thing... that happened to line up at a perfect time before the US leg ... and it was great promotion to sell more tickets and advertising for Sirius... that's all

The sound quality even on my phone (the Sirius app) was awesome!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #646 on: July 21, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »

I was told that there would be cake.

Id like to have it and eat it too.

To quote GLaDOS: "The cake is a lie!"

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #647 on: July 21, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »

You've got to admit those posters were pretty weird though right? I mean, why bother? All it did was raise people's expectations. If you're not celebrating Appetite's 30th, OK cool, just do a show- no problem. But putting them up? People are going to start speculating, naturally.

It's similar to the hype they let build up with the 'big announcement', which was more shows added. It makes no sense, and just fuels disappointment.

I do agree that those signs were a bit misleading in terms of fans expecting something, anything, different about this particular show.  That is, labeling the show a celebration of "AFD30".  Whether is was done innocently as a nod to the timing of the show, or done to shadily create media buzz remains to be seen.

That said, I don't get the torches and pitchforks about the setlist(s).  The new 2016 additions like Coma, DTJ and Slash & Duff putting their spins on the Chinese era tracks I think is, in the band's mind, them "shaking it up" and taking it to each new crowd/city.  They shouldn't have to take into account the keyboard warriors who are waiting in the wings after each show to moan about the setlist.

This show is now well into the top 10 grossing tours OF ALL TIME. They're obviously doing something very, very right and yes that includes the setlist.  
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #648 on: July 21, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

I do agree that those signs were a bit misleading in terms of fans expecting something, anything, different about this particular show.  That is, labeling the show a celebration of "AFD30".  Whether is was done innocently as a nod to the timing of the show, or done to shadily create media buzz remains to be seen.

That said, I don't get the torches and pitchforks about the setlist(s).  The new 2016 additions like Coma, DTJ and Slash & Duff putting their spins on the Chinese era tracks I think is, in the band's mind, them "shaking it up" and taking it to each new crowd/city.  They shouldn't have to take into account the keyboard warriors who are waiting in the wings after each show to moan about the setlist.

This show is now well into the top 10 grossing tours OF ALL TIME. They're obviously doing something very, very right and yes that includes the setlist.  

The set list complains are mind boggling....we all have personal preferences... yeah there's one or two more covers in there then I'd prefer... but holy hell...

If you re a GNR fan...especially one who completely supported CD... what the hell is there to complain about? the set list provides all the hits, some deep cuts, CD songs.... what... is the problem...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #649 on: July 21, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »

GNR added more shows this morning......a 3rd MSG, a Prudential Center NJ, Hartford....

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #650 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »

GNR added more shows this morning......a 3rd MSG, a Prudential Center NJ, Hartford....

WAIT...WHAT? HARTFORD???!!!!

WHEN!!!

EDIT: I'M BACK FROM DENVER BEFORE THAT SHOW!!! WOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Breaking out the credit card in T-minus 105 minutes!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:17:00 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #651 on: July 21, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »

The beginning of a tour...that's your setlist, pretty much.  Perhaps the odd swapping of a song or two for another song or two, but that's about it.

People have a gripe if there is a NITL 2.0 tour in 3 years.  But not while NITL 1.0 is still going on.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #652 on: July 21, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »

This band is going to break my bank account.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #653 on: July 21, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »

The set list complains are mind boggling....we all have personal preferences... yeah there's one or two more covers in there then I'd prefer... but holy hell...

If you re a GNR fan...especially one who completely supported CD... what the hell is there to complain about? the set list provides all the hits, some deep cuts, CD songs.... what... is the problem...

It's loony. And the ultimate irony is that if they were to throw in a couple Illusion deep cuts and fuck, even a new song, after six months of that setlist you'd have the same group of debbie downers slinking back out of the shadows with their gripes. And on we go...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #654 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »

Devil's Advocate Position On Last Night's Setlist :

Last night's show was a worldwide broadcast.  In terms of expousre, this show reached more people than any other one show they did the entire tour.

So would you rather they do the show they have been doing, and have been doing well, and let people hear them at their best...

...or have them try to bust through sloppy versions of rarities like 'Locomotive' with Axl forgetting words, band members coming in at the wrong time, etc.

I'd take the former over the latter any day of the week.  Last night was a glorified advertisment for the GNR brand in 2017.  You always put your best foot forward.  Marketing 101.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #655 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »

The beginning of a tour...that's your setlist, pretty much.  Perhaps the odd swapping of a song or two for another song or two, but that's about it.

People have a gripe if there is a NITL 2.0 tour in 3 years.  But not while NITL 1.0 is still going on.

Ahhh yes. Here we go again.  Yep u are putting a time limit n your personal expectations and everyone who doesn't share the same thought is wrong

I have even read people say 2021 is the limit.  Haha.  It's a joke

Those great limits are just fine to me.  But then so is my limit of

When a band toures a town they have just played multiple times the show should be different

Perhaps the next time they come to your town you could email them your preferred setlist?  Roll Eyes
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #656 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

I guess...maybe...but the signs for the Apollo show made no mention of AFD.  In fact, I think it said Not in this Lifetime.  The #AFD30 signs said nothing about the show at the Apollo.  I guess you could infer that the two signs are related.  

Changing gears, anyone know what was played (acoustically) right before Patience?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #657 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »

Ahhh yes. Here we go again.  Yep u are putting a time limit n your personal expectations and everyone who doesn't share the same thought is wrong

I have even read people say 2021 is the limit.  Haha.  It's a joke

Those great limits are just fine to me.  But then so is my limit of

When a band toures a town they have just played multiple times the show should be different

My limits are realistic, yours are not.  Ergo, I am happy, you are not.

ME KO1 YOU

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #658 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »

WHEN!!!

Shit, when?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #659 on: July 21, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »

WHEN!!!

Shit, when?

Monday, October 23rd.

Nighttrain Presale starts TODAY at noon!!!

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: