Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:07:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227846 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Oasis vs. Nirvana
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oasis vs. Nirvana  (Read 9711 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« on: January 17, 2006, 01:10:15 PM »

I saw a discussion about this topic in the Strokes' new album thread, and it's something that's been on my mind for a while.? People always deify Kurt Cobain, saying that he helped combine the aggression of punk with the melody of The Beatles.? But except for Nirvana's big hit singles, I think that's mostly horseshit.? If you've ever listened to a Nirvana album, you'll know that roughly half the songs on each are unbearable filler - screaming noise that's only slightly more catchy than an Anal Cunt song.

In my opinion, the REAL band that combined punk attitude with pop melodies was Oasis.? Clearly, The Beatles are one of their biggest influences.? But they have way more melody than Nirvana ever did.? Almost every song that the band writes has a relentlessly catchy tune to it.? Oasis has a bit of a punk influence, but rather than letting it overwhelm the actual songs, like Nirvana did, they incorporate it into their music so that it becomes melodic rock with an undertone of balls-out aggression.? Just compare an Oasis throwaway like "Thank You For The Good Times" to Nirvana's unbelievably shitty "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip".

Noel Gallagher is the REAL songwriter of the 90s.? While Nirvana released only a few albums (which were really only good for the singles), Oasis is still going strong in 2006.? As far as I'm concerned, Nirvana is a band that wrote a dozen or so incredible songs, but padded their albums with shitty filler.? It's been said before, but I'll say it again - if Cobain hadn't blew his brains out, he would have nowhere near the iconic status he enjoys today.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 01:11:48 PM by Mattman » Logged
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »

Definitely Nirvana. Oasis are way too overrated. Firstly, Nirvana always had more energy in their music. Oasis seem very dull and boring and the Gallaghers tried far too hard to get their bad girl reputation. Kurt Cobain thought sometimes annoying was very experimental interms of his music (as shown by Unplugged 1993). Kurt Cobain had a more entertaining side to; i find him very humourous.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »

Just compare an Oasis throwaway like "Thank You For The Good Times" to Nirvana's unbelievably shitty "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip".

I don't think it makes any sense to compare the B-sides. If Oasis are stupid enough to throw away an above average song, it's their problem.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »

Wow, that's comparing two of the most terrible, overrated bands ever. It's hard to decide which one's worse. I'll say Oasis is worse because Nirvana came earlier and had a slightly more unique sound, even though both bands copied their contemporaries and dumbed down the music.
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:18:31 PM »

Oasis are by far a better band, I fuckin hate Nirvana, so overrated. Simple shitty 3 chord music the way people buy all this Cobain bullshit sickens me

That's a hatrick for Doull
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »

How the hell can u compare such different bands Huh

Quick! To the bandwagon!
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »

If Oasis died in a plane crash after playing Knebworth in 96, they would have gone down in history as the greatest rock n roll band of all time. Says it all really, Nirvana are a good band, thats all.

Oasis are the band that defined the 90's.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »

How the hell can u compare such different bands Huh

They're two of the 90s' biggest bands, but Nirvana tends to have more critical respect.  I was also comparing them on the basis of how both were reputed to combine punk attitude with pop melodies.  In my opinion, Oasis did it a lot better.  They simply have better songs, and a collectively stronger catalogue.  Nirvana also relied more on cover versions; that's pretty much what their Unplugged album was all about.

Definitely Nirvana. Oasis are way too overrated. Firstly, Nirvana always had more energy in their music. Oasis seem very dull and boring and the Gallaghers tried far too hard to get their bad girl reputation. Kurt Cobain thought sometimes annoying was very experimental interms of his music (as shown by Unplugged 1993). Kurt Cobain had a more entertaining side to; i find him very humourous.

Nirvana's live performances definitely had more energy, I'll concede that.  But in terms of the music?  Oasis's songs are both generally catchier and hard rockin'.  And if you want to talk about entertainment value offstage, it's always a good laugh to read about the Gallagher brothers getting into a brawl and having crazy drunken antics.  They're like one of the only bands these days that lives the unrepetant rock lifestyle - sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.  Nirvana tried to destroy that image, which is one of the reasons I resent them.  Oasis kept it alive.
grendood
My favorite word is: Bellend
Banned
Rocker

caught on film.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 08:12:02 AM »

well said mattman.
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 07:44:05 PM »

funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3dllyI0qY&search=nirvana%20live%20end%20jam%20rare%20concert

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »

oasis last album destroyed any respect i had for them. it was terrible.

oasis were good but tbh i think they were the more defining in the UK. i dont think they hit the rest of the world the way nirvana did.

i like both bands but im not majorly into them.

html sucks
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 08:04:21 PM »

Lol funny indeed. Kinda long clip though.. they shoulda cut it in half and got straight to the beat down!

I vote for Nirvana.

gnrevolution.com
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »

It's all a matter of opinion, really.  I like music that filters raw emotion - like, Nirvana - however, i also like a good melody, a simple chord progression and catchy music, much like Oasis.

I don't know what you're saying that Nirvana has "too much filler" or "relies too much on covers" because the albums Nevermind and In Utero i love mostly every track: again, all matter of opinion, and i don't think those albums had a cover on them.  (And if you're speaking about Unplugged most artists do covers on that show).

"While Nirvana released only a few albums (which were really only good for the singles), Oasis is still going strong in 2006."  Well what do you expect, Kurt Cobain died!

"It's been said before, but I'll say it again - if Cobain hadn't blew his brains out, he would have nowhere near the iconic status he enjoys today."

I'm sure if Noel Gallagher or another member of Oasis had died when they were popular they would be considered the next Beatles or something now.

However, i do agree with you on some of the things you said.

Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 08:58:06 AM »

you can say whatever you want about nirvana. but you have to admit that they were a true rock n' roll band, and they lived it. we could wish that they were more bands like nirvana or guns nowadays.
the only one who is holding the rock n' roll flag right now is manson.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 09:04:51 AM »

you can say whatever you want about nirvana. but you have to admit that they were a true rock n' roll band, and they lived it. we could wish that they were more bands like nirvana or guns nowadays.
the only one who is holding the rock n' roll flag right now is manson.

nirvana were anti rock n roll. how does that make sense.

html sucks
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 09:07:55 AM »

i mean their attitude was what rock n' roll is/should be about

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »

I prefer Oasis by a long way. They are one of the bands i grew up with.

Nirvana i think maybe the most overated band ever. They had some good songs but nothing to rave about the way they were.

I really think Noel doesn't get the credit he deserves mainly coz his brother is an idiot at times and they have both been labelled as the same. . . He has written some true anthems. and songs that will be around for years to come.

I think its an amazing thing to see and hear 60,000 people sing 'Don't Look Back In Anger' and 'Wonderwall' back at the band at gigs and festivals.

Oasis have had continued sucsess. And just like bands like Coldplay, U2 and no doubt the Arctic Monkeys people will always be ready to critasize but if they continue with the sucsess they have then maybe people should just have respect for them even if their not your favourite band.

Oasis brought guitar rock back in the uk

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 05:00:52 PM »

Oasis were bigger than nirvana ever did in all their carreer , even during the "nevermind" erea.
The fact is Nirvana were bigger than Oasis in the U.S, but in Europe and in the rest of the world, Oasis were more successfull than Nirvana.

"What's the story morning glory" (Oasis) sold 20 million copies. I was in high school by that time, and they were a fucking huge phenomenon! every fucking day they were getting bigger and bigger and bigger. They were the biggest band in the world. They were almost as big as GN'R 87-93 erea. that was crazy. So yeah, definitely bigger and better than Nirvana.

a fucking great video oasis video on the biggest musical TV show in France: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9gSqF0l-dw
That is Rock n' Roll! Zack (the drummer) goes nut! Oasis is a much more powerfull band than Nirvana. They sound LOUDER.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 05:24:07 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 06:37:04 PM »

yes ok

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »

Oasis wrote "Master Plan" and "Talk Tonight". They win.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »