Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  You Could be Mine drumming
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: You Could be Mine drumming  (Read 7793 times)
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« on: July 09, 2006, 01:25:03 PM »

I haven't seen or heard any boots from the shows except for a song here or there. So  I want to know how YCBM's drum work sounds. Especially from those who were at shows.

Is brain handeling it better than some 2002 shows? How's Frank on the song? Does he play it better than brain?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »

I've been at the show in holland on 2 july, and the drums on YCBM were great or better awesome, Frank was on the drums, and it was much better than the drums I heard from the RIR boot by brain, but thats my opinion and you can't exactly compare a live show where you've been yourself with a boot anyway!!

And it was definetly much better than Matt Sorum on the drums back in 1993, and thats also my opinion so don't critisize me for that.

peace
JustWckd
Rocker

It happened in my lifetime!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 02:06:19 PM »

This is the thing I hate about this board or any other GNR board these days.  Love or hate the New GNR ( I love the new stuff), how in the hell can you say that they play the stuff BETTER than the people that wrote it and originally played/recorded it?  Its not fucking possible or logical.

And to answer the question, in 02 my biggest gripe was Brain's playing of YCBM, but in 06, he has def nailed it on alot of shows, not all but alot more than in 02.

12/27/11 Phoenix
04/08/16 Vegas!!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 02:18:50 PM »

This is the thing I hate about this board or any other GNR board these days.? Love or hate the New GNR ( I love the new stuff), how in the hell can you say that they play the stuff BETTER than the people that wrote it and originally played/recorded it?? Its not fucking possible or logical.

Of course it's possible, it's called an opinion and also "personal taste".

I sometimes prefer a cover version of a song to the original. Does it make me wrong?  Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »

This is the thing I hate about this board or any other GNR board these days.? Love or hate the New GNR ( I love the new stuff), how in the hell can you say that they play the stuff BETTER than the people that wrote it and originally played/recorded it?? Its not fucking possible or logical.

And to answer the question, in 02 my biggest gripe was Brain's playing of YCBM, but in 06, he has def nailed it on alot of shows, not all but alot more than in 02.

JustWckd:  Let's see, Sorum didn't write it...didn't even originally play it...oh, but he did originally record it!  Hey 1 out of 3 aint bad!  Great post!   yes

You said playing it better isn't fucking possible or logical...does this mean GNR didn't play Knockin' on Heaven's Door better than Dylan?  Personally, I think they did. 

On the drum issue, like everything else, everything's better in '06.  Great stuff.  Oops, except for LALD '02 version, my personal all-time favorite version of that song.   beer   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
greendog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 02:50:19 PM »

Sorum didn't write it...didn't even originally play it...oh, but he did originally record it!? Hey 1 out of 3 aint bad!? Great post!? ?yes ?

you got any proof that Matt didnt write that drum roll?

didn't even originally play it 

that depends on your first statement.

in my opinion, matt nails the shit out of that beat.

and until proven wrong, il believe that he wrote it (yes i know the song was written around Appetite time but doesnt mean Matt didnt add to it)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 04:18:07 PM »

Sorum didn't write it...didn't even originally play it...oh, but he did originally record it!? Hey 1 out of 3 aint bad!? Great post!? ?yes ?

Matt himself said Duff wrote the drum intro in an MTV interview.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
greendog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »

/jarmo

well that fucking cool as hell Smiley Duffs the man yes

however, if Duff wrote it, then i can pretty much guarantee that Matt plays it better Tongue

anyway, you know where i can find that interview?
.Seal
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 06:21:35 PM »

Well atleast Frank did a great job in Helsinkin on both nights  Wink

050706, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
060706, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
050610, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
180816, GN'R in LA, CA.
190816, GN'R in LA, CA.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »

Frank, is a fucking awesome drummer.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 08:51:51 PM »

/jarmo

hihi hihi

thats hilarious - have you heard/seen  Duffs drumming on the Tokyo vids? Perhaps he wrote a basic version as I cant see him pulling it off as per the definitive version - Matts version

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »

Please, let's not honestly say we think Sorum is better than Brain. There is no comparison. Brain is much more versatile and original.

newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 12:30:46 AM »

I sometimes prefer a cover version of a song to the original. Does it make me wrong?? Roll Eyes

/jarmo

so are you saying the new band is just a cover band...plus axl?
kingaxl
Banned
Rocker

im no prophet but i can tell you somethin!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 12:47:07 AM »

brain is a furious kid....got '' i dont give a shit'' attitude wich makes me think of steven....happy goin style....matt was good techniquely but thats pretty much all...and his hair hahaa just kiddin...( i dont wanna have another karma point removed Undecided) steven was just like ...huh what is that..a drum...ill play it...dont know where it goes but it goes to the right fuckin place!!!!! Smiley i think personnally, that it way more guns n' roses with brain than it was at the time with matt....drumminly speakin of course (( is that a word....whatever)) :hihi:i hope you folks understand what i tried to express....

/ kingaxl

she took my sperm without my permission!!!
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 04:37:31 AM »

frank drums it much better than brain, but nobody can play it better than sorum imo
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 04:52:45 AM »

Steven's my favorite drummer, Brain after that and Matt is technically good and all but he lacks groove, the punkrock attitude.

Duff is a good drummer, I think he wrote some of the drumtracks on AFD and UYI. In MTV's GN'R in Athen documentary Matt said that Duff wrote that intro. Also Duff said that he wrote the drumintro for Illegal I Song someday when Matt was late for rehearsel and was inspired by The Refused.

Matt didn't write the UYI drumtracks except for his own fills, the basic drumtracks was already done before he joined. He just played on UYI. All the drumarrangements on UYI are original and completely fitting for the song, just like on AFD. Matt pretty much uses the same old beat (see VR). Also on Pretty Tied Up for example there's a cowbell (typically Steven) in the chorus, Matt never plays/played a cowbell. If you listen to Steven's drumtracks on the Adler's Appetite EP you can tell he came up with the majority of the AFD and UYI drumtracks, they're the same style and the drumbeat is totally fitting to the song.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 05:04:27 AM »

I sometimes prefer a cover version of a song to the original. Does it make me wrong?? Roll Eyes

/jarmo

so are you saying the new band is just a cover band...plus axl?

No. Read it again.

The original poster said it's impossible for anybody who didn't write a song to play it better than the original artist. I disagree.

/jarmo

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 05:11:42 AM »

I haven't been following the boots show by show just random youtubes... It does seem, now this is my opinion too that many people just like to say whoever is in the band now does whatever better then the ex gunners.. I'm talking general here not about frank matt or brain.. An example would be something like scom from budapest,, listen to the solos they are off left and right but I'm sure someone would try and tell me it's "style" or awesome anyways.. Whatever you like you like but there are difference between style and just not playing the song right..

Second though it does seem like everyone does bash sorum for no reason, it's almost trendy around here to knock the guy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:14:14 AM by mikegiuliana » Logged
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 05:46:20 AM »

Mike, it seems almost trendy to bash anyone who was in GNR before this lineup.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
GNVR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 07:39:56 AM »

I completely agree!? Matt recorded YCBM.? Regardless of who wrote it, he played it.? He brought his own style to it and that cannot be duplicated.? I'm also tired of ppl bashing Sorum.? There's a reason he got hired for GNR and Axl referred to him as the best drummer in the world.? If he was still in the band, you would all be praising him today.

Axl is promoting the new band so of course he'll say Brain is the best...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 07:44:23 AM by GNVR » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: