Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Flashback: #13 - This I Love
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flashback: #13 - This I Love  (Read 9136 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: June 17, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »

I think this is a "love or hate" kind of song.

Personally, I was very excited to see the title when the track list of Chinese was public a month or so before the release. It's a mystical, talked about track for many, many years.

I liked the song more in the beginning than now. It didn't quite fill my expectations of what I thought it would sound like, but it was an alright track. Today, it's a track I rarely come back to when I'm listening to music, actually one of the least played Chinese songs for me.

The vocal performance is of course good, but I would have wished he sang in a different style, a little more mellow maybe. Anyways, the highpoint of the song is the Finck guitar solo - exceptional. Dj has done a different take on it live, but Finck's version of the solo is far superior in my opinion.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:40 PM »

I think this is a "love or hate" kind of song.

Personally, I was very excited to see the title when the track list of Chinese was public a month or so before the release. It's a mystical, talked about track for many, many years.

I liked the song more in the beginning than now. It didn't quite fill my expectations of what I thought it would sound like, but it was an alright track. Today, it's a track I rarely come back to when I'm listening to music, actually one of the least played Chinese songs for me.

The vocal performance is of course good, but I would have wished he sang in a different style, a little more mellow maybe. Anyways, the highpoint of the song is the Finck guitar solo - exceptional. Dj has done a different take on it live, but Finck's version of the solo is far superior in my opinion.

My feelings on the track, almost word for word.  Especially the "love or hate" designation.

Best part of the song is the guitar solo.  Really, really well done.  I thought Robin was horrendous on a lot of the live bootlegs I had from 2001-2007.  He wasn't as bad on the songs, but his solo spots were painful.  Atonal, and I swear to god, I maintain a few of them were parodies or a goof.  But he crushed the solo here.  Very well done.

The song arrangement, a bit Andrew Lloyd Webber for my tastes.  And I don't even dislike that style of music.  But I'd be lying if I said I didn't roll my eyes during certain parts here.

Then, there are the vocals.  The verses, I love.  Really think Axl sounds great.  The refrains...a little much.  They actually hurt the ears in spots.

However, on that last batch of leaks, there is the one 3 minute one that is 15-30 second snippets of a bunch of stuff.  And one of them is this song, but sung in the vocal style he uses on 'Madagascar'.  Sounded terribly interesting.  I know I often scoff at the remix album idea, but that is one I'd be very interested to hear. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »

Heard the same remix clip. Definitively sounded interesting with that change-up to the beat during the verses.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »

I dont love or hate this song, its allright.

Its the track on the album that i like the least. Its a nice ballad, it works nicely live, its a good slower song. That said i dont think GN'R has a bad song in my opinion.

The solo is great, Ashba does a great job on it live. Frank is great on the live versions, he adds very nice things here and there.

When i listen thru the album This I Love almost feels like a intro to Prostitute which is my favourite song. The live version gives me a fuller view of the song for some reason.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »

When I first heard it, I thought it might be use as the intro to 'November Rain' when they started touring.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:36:37 PM »

I like the lyrics

I like the piano...

I am not a fan of Axls voice on this song however.

It reminds me of the movie Finding Sara Marshal.  Where at the end the guy puts on a play using muppets....   And the Dracula muppet sings a sad love song....   Muppet Dracua and Axl on this song sound way to much alike
mortismurphy
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »

It is a bit cheesy. I played it a lot when the album first came out because that was one of the few songs that were not leaked but these days I find it a bit embarrassing. Not at all what I was expecting.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »

It is a bit cheesy. I played it a lot when the album first came out because that was one of the few songs that were not leaked but these days I find it a bit embarrassing. Not at all what I was expecting.

Not cheesy at all, it is nothing short of brilliant.

I think moaning mortis doesn't like it because it doesn't sound like an AC/DC song.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
mortismurphy
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »

I think moaning mortis doesn't like it because it doesn't sound like an AC/DC song.

No, I do not like it because it is rubbish. I like Streets of Dreams and that sounds nothing like AC/DC so there goes your logic!
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »

No, I do not like it because it is rubbish. I like Streets of Dreams and that sounds nothing like AC/DC so there goes your logic!

It is not "rubbish" simply because you are unable or unwilling to appreciate it.

A lot of us do like and appreciate it, moaning mortis, your little labelling system is as mistaken and screwed as everything else you post.

"Shut the fuck up."
mortismurphy
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:17 PM »

It is not "rubbish" simply because you are unable or unwilling to appreciate it.

A lot of us do like and appreciate it, moaning mortis, your little labelling system is as mistaken and screwed as everything else you post.

I am not so sure about that. Looking at the replies in this post, most people (at best) seem to possess reservations about the song.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »

Really?

I didn't get a real sense of "man, where is this coming from", you know?

Dude loved Elton.  Dude loved Queen.  Its not like he dislikes this style of music.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »

I like Streets of Dreams and that sounds nothing like AC/DC so there goes your logic!

That's just a good song.

Listed to the crap out of the RIR III version.  Didn't dig the stripped down leak/live version in 2006/07.  But even then, didn't hate it.

I think the album version is a nice mix of both.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 08:23:23 PM »

I am not so sure about that. Looking at the replies in this post, most people (at best) seem to possess reservations about the song.

Hey, they can't all be gems.

And something tells me the last entry in this series of threads (which I think have been a great idea, BTW) will not struggle for praise.

mortismurphy
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »

Really?

I didn't get a real sense of "man, where is this coming from", you know?

Dude loved Elton.  Dude loved Queen.  Its not like he dislikes this style of music.

This is my own fault as we had heard about this 'This I Love' song from back in 1993, and that it was a part of the ballad 'trilogy'. I was expecting an Estranged but what I got was a cheesy Andrew Lloyd Webber song. The Blues is high class though.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »

This is my own fault as we had heard about this 'This I Love' song from back in 1993, and that it was a part of the ballad 'trilogy'. I was expecting an Estranged but what I got was a cheesy Andrew Lloyd Webber song. The Blues is high class though.

I certainly expected a ballad.

Where I think he lost me was describing back in 1993 as "the heaviest stuff I've ever written".

Then, once you hear it...the lyrics sound like a lovesick high schooler.  I think Axl's delivery of those lyrics is better than most, but I'd hardly call them deep, in terms of content.

mortismurphy
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 08:32:11 PM »

The lack of an Estranged did shock me with Chinese. When I use the term Estranged I really mean a series of songs with intricate arrangements and key changes: Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive, Coma. But there was nothing really like that on Chinese Democracy.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »

The lack of an Estranged did shock me with Chinese. When I use the term Estranged I really mean a series of songs with intricate arrangements and key changes: Estranged, Breakdown, Locomotive, Coma. But there was nothing really like that on Chinese Democracy.

I see that point.

But I think the guitars on the album are very strong.  That a was a big concern of mine going into all this.  But I think the guitar playing is very strong throughout the album.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »

I'm a bit older than most, grew up on Queen and loved Elton so It's a song I can appreciate a lot.

Honestly do not consider a majority of voices on an internet site a true indicator of popularity, nor does it affect my enjoyment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:39:39 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
mortismurphy
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »

I'm a bit older than most, grew up on Queen and loved Elton so It's a song I can appreciate a lot.

I am a gigantic Queen fan! This I Love just does not cut it. Mercury would have binned it and wrote 'You Take My Breath Away' in its place.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: