Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227922 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Favorite TV Series! (recommendations and discussions)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite TV Series! (recommendations and discussions)  (Read 70452 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »

Picked up Oz after the Sopranos. probably around 10-11 episodes into it. Just as good as its reputation.  ok

Who's your favorite character? I still can't choose between Ryan, Adebisi, Wangler, or Scott Ross.

Last seasons of Breaking Bad and Dexter is very different from each other, in the way that BrBa is insanely good and clear that it's the last season while Dexter is bland, poorly written and feels like just another season while it's only 4 episodes left. Will still watch the last episodes since I've followed the series this far but I just want it to end.

Check out Six Feet Under. It was Michael C. Hall's show before Dexter where he plays a gay funeral director and the writing and acting is certainly a thousand times better than drivel like Dexter.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »

Picked up Oz after the Sopranos. probably around 10-11 episodes into it. Just as good as its reputation.  ok

Who's your favorite character? I still can't choose between Ryan, Adebisi, Wangler, or Scott Ross.
I like many of them. Ryan, Adebisi, Kareem, Beecher. Beecher or Ryan is probably the favorite for now.

Scott Ross has one of the funniest lines in the show yet.
Scott to Schillinger: "You've got 10 minutes to get your hands of my dick".  hihi

Last seasons of Breaking Bad and Dexter is very different from each other, in the way that BrBa is insanely good and clear that it's the last season while Dexter is bland, poorly written and feels like just another season while it's only 4 episodes left. Will still watch the last episodes since I've followed the series this far but I just want it to end.

Check out Six Feet Under. It was Michael C. Hall's show before Dexter where he plays a gay funeral director and the writing and acting is certainly a thousand times better than drivel like Dexter.
SFU is on my long list of TV shows to watch. Only heard good stuff about. Might pick it up after I'm done with Oz. ok
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

I like many of them. Ryan, Adebisi, Kareem, Beecher. Beecher or Ryan is probably the favorite for now.

Scott Ross has one of the funniest lines in the show yet.
Scott to Schillinger: "You've got 10 minutes to get your hands of my dick".  hihi

My favorite character while I was watching the show WAS Beecher, until.... well ya know.  Keller got involved. 

Oz may be my favorite show of all time.  I watched the series premiere episode the night it aired while I was in Greensboro, NC for a basketball tournament in high school and I was hooked.  I only mention that because I have a good Oz-related story.  I was on the 1 train in NYC in June of 2000 with my brother because we were going to see an early screening of Shaft starring Samuel L. Jackson.  I was 19 at the time.  So we are standing on the train not talking to each other because we are both staring at this guy who is 20 feet away from us.  Finally my brother says to me "hey.... that's Keller from Oz right?".  Right away I laughed and said yes, it was definitely him.  So there was Chris Meloni right there in front of us.  The first season of Law & Order: SVU had JUST ended a few weeks earlier and was not yet the massive hit it would eventually become.  So without thinking I walked up to Mr. Meloni and I said "Hey" and he turns around and looks at me and doesn't say anything.  I say to him "look.... go easy on Beecher this season, will ya?" and he laughed at said "will do".  His stop was next and he got off the train.  Not the most exciting story in the world, but to meet one of the stars of the show in the middle of it's run was a dream come true for me, especially at that time long before social media. 
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »

Breaking Bad has raised the bar for what TV is capable of... can't wait for the last 3 episodes!
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »

Breaking Bad has raised the bar for what TV is capable of... can't wait for the last 3 episodes!

For basic cable television maybe, although I still believe The Shield is the most unheralded basic cable show of all time in regards to audience size during its initial run... I think premium cable has already been there with several series
gnr-4-ever
VIP

Personal Text:

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

'Breaking Bad' is amazing. I've been watching it for the past three days and i'm already near the end of season three.

The plot is twisted as hell and seriously I haven't been hooked on a TV Series like this in a long long time.

This and 'Californication' are the two Series I watched most lately and they both have blown me away.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:52:22 PM by gnr-4-ever » Logged

24/09/2010
17/07/2012
26/06/2015 🎩
19/05/2016 ⚡
04/07/2017
10/07/2017 🎤
03/06/2018
10/02/2019 🎩
19/07/2023
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »

For basic cable television maybe, although I still believe The Shield is the most unheralded basic cable show of all time in regards to audience size during its initial run... I think premium cable has already been there with several series

Such as?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »

Such as?

The Wire, Oz, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Rome, Big Love, Boss....

I am basing this on the entire series not faltering in terms of quality like Dexter, True Blood, Californication, Entourage, etc. have fallen victim to.  I think you could make the argument that the Sopranos dropped in some of those middle seasons, but I overlooked that because some of those seasons are the best episodes in television history. 

In no way I am diminishing what Breaking Bad is.  I friggin LOVE the show, I really do.  Vince Gilligan has created something that, although some of the storylines are far fetched at times, has provided THE most intriguing television I've ever seen on basic cable.  And I am a huge fan of The Shield and American Horror Story which I feel are right behind Breaking Bad in terms of quality (please don't argue about The Walking Dead, this most recent season was so dreadful!). 

Premium cable has the ability to be grittier as far as language, sex and violence so I feel that is why they have gotten there sooner in terms of quality.  Yes I know sex and violence don't make a show automatically better, but I feel that they can bring more 'reality' to the show because of it.  Breaking Bad has truly pushed the envelope of what basic cable can do. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2013, 10:34:19 PM »

Such as?

The Wire, Oz, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Rome, Big Love, Boss....

I am basing this on the entire series not faltering in terms of quality like Dexter, True Blood, Californication, Entourage, etc. have fallen victim to.  I think you could make the argument that the Sopranos dropped in some of those middle seasons, but I overlooked that because some of those seasons are the best episodes in television history. 

In no way I am diminishing what Breaking Bad is.  I friggin LOVE the show, I really do.  Vince Gilligan has created something that, although some of the storylines are far fetched at times, has provided THE most intriguing television I've ever seen on basic cable.  And I am a huge fan of The Shield and American Horror Story which I feel are right behind Breaking Bad in terms of quality (please don't argue about The Walking Dead, this most recent season was so dreadful!). 

Premium cable has the ability to be grittier as far as language, sex and violence so I feel that is why they have gotten there sooner in terms of quality.  Yes I know sex and violence don't make a show automatically better, but I feel that they can bring more 'reality' to the show because of it.  Breaking Bad has truly pushed the envelope of what basic cable can do. 

Can't comment on the last four shows you listed, but I find the final 2 seasons of Six Feet Under and Oz to be simply horrendous while Breaking Bad has only gotten better as it's progressed.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

I wasn't on the edge of my seat for the end of The Sopranos like I am for Breaking Bad either... the show was fantastic, but I would be far more upset if I had to miss the last 4-5 episodes of Breaking Bad than The Sopranos.  I think I'm a big fan of the fact that they are deliberately wrapping up the story and not dragging it out because it's popular (as a lot of shows do when they begin to decline in quality). 

Game of Thrones is fantastic so far, but I'm skeptical of ranking it too high until Martin actually finishes all of the books - otherwise it could be an awesome build up for a story with no ending.  Or he could write an ending that requires too big of a budget for HBO to handle!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

Anyone who didn't check out The Wire yet should do themselves a favor and do so...  ok

Currently following Dexter and Breaking Bad, both have been very good. I do remember thinking BB got better after a while...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »

jarmo I find it hilarious that you love The Wire.  I cannot picture a dude from Sweden loving a show about the underbelly of Baltimore, MD but that just shows what great TV The Wire was. 

AxlsMainMan if you thought Six Feet Under and Oz had horrendous seasons I'd love to hear what you say about John From Cincinnati  beer

Eazy E, I agree with you 110%, I was not on the edge of my seat for the finale of The Sopranos like I am with Breaking Bad right now.  I included The Sopranos on my list of great shows mainly because those first 2 seasons are arguably the best television in recent history.  The main focus of that last season was if Tony was going to be killed or not killed and that was it.  With Breaking Bad, no one has any fucking clue what is going to happen.  I have tried with seasons 4, 5A and 5B to predict what was going to happen and I have been so wrong on almost everything.  And the best part about Breaking Bad is that the writing (and acting) is so good that you don't even question a goddamn thing.  Walt could die in Sunday's episode and I might not even blink.  How great is it to be Vince Gilligan right now???
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »

jarmo I find it hilarious that you love The Wire.  I cannot picture a dude from Sweden loving a show about the underbelly of Baltimore, MD but that just shows what great TV The Wire was. 

You don't need to live in the twilight zone to appreciate that the Twilight Zone on TV....  Wink

Same thing with anything else.

I used to follow Twin Peaks and the X Files back in the day. It's kinda hard to relate to those series too...  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

AxlsMainMan if you thought Six Feet Under and Oz had horrendous seasons I'd love to hear what you say about John From Cincinnati  beer

Are you a bit slow or something? Just really high?

First of all, AMM were praising both OZ and SFU.

IMO OZ did dip in quality but nothing near the abysmal decline Dexter. It was still a very good series. Might pick up Six Feet Under when I get time.

Secondly, are you'a meth dealer since you enjoy Breaking Bad? diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy? What about OZ, pushing tits? Getting raped by aryans much? Shanking homeboys?  hihi
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

IMO OZ did dip in quality but nothing near the abysmal decline Dexter. It was still a very good series. Might pick up Six Feet Under when I get time.

Secondly, are you'a meth dealer since you enjoy Breaking Bad? diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy? What about OZ, pushing tits? Getting raped by aryans much? Shanking homeboys?  hihi

LOL, I am the slow one? You just claimed that AMM was praising Oz and SFU after he said they had 'horrendous seasons'.  If that is your idea of praise then perhaps you should take a look at a dictionary.   ok

As for your second comment, I only said that to Jarmo because he's FROM SWEDEN.  I am shocked that a show like The Wire was that far reaching, but as I already said, it just shows what great TV it really was. 
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »

LOL, I am the slow one? You just claimed that AMM was praising Oz and SFU after he said they had 'horrendous seasons'.  If that is your idea of praise then perhaps you should take a look at a dictionary.   ok

As for your second comment, I only said that to Jarmo because he's FROM SWEDEN.  I am shocked that a show like The Wire was that far reaching, but as I already said, it just shows what great TV it really was. 
Oh right, missed that!  only read this:

That's praise to me.

And I'm from Sweden. Jarmo's finnish AFAIK, he picks on Sweden whenever he gets the chance.  Tongue
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »

One more episode of Breaking Bad to go.... I have to say that last episode was FANTASTIC.  Perfect "calm before the storm" episode and I still can't get over that ending!  Dropping the theme music during the show for the first time!  Using Grey Matter to spark Walt into .... who know's what!  It's going to be a great finale.

I really appreciate little things like Walt picking out the glasses that we've seen him wearing in the flashforwards earlier in the season, can't wait!
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2013, 12:16:14 PM »

One more episode of Breaking Bad to go.... I have to say that last episode was FANTASTIC.  Perfect "calm before the storm" episode and I still can't get over that ending!  Dropping the theme music during the show for the first time!  Using Grey Matter to spark Walt into .... who know's what!  It's going to be a great finale.

I really appreciate little things like Walt picking out the glasses that we've seen him wearing in the flashforwards earlier in the season, can't wait!
Couldn't agree more! Sucks that I have a 10 hour work day on monday before I can watch it. Might set my alarm an hour earlier so that I can watch the finale before work.

I think that sparked Walt into full Heisenberg mode!
Gilbyfan
Headliner

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »

My hands down favourite show - Doctor Who. Fantastic escapasim, pure fun, never takes itself to seriously. But always superbly acted, written etc... The perfect format too. The Doctor's TARDIS can take him to any time and/or place in history. The show can be sci fi, drama, action, comedy or all of the above at once. Plus no-one ever has to reboot it whenever it comes back, cos part of the appeal is when one Doctor dies (ie actor leaves or gets moved on) he just regenerates.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »

Don't forget about Eastbound and Down! Season premiere tonight

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: