Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Does the success or failure of Angel Down have any impact on Axl and CD?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does the success or failure of Angel Down have any impact on Axl and CD?  (Read 14204 times)
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »

His record was BARELY promoted...enough said.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 12:28:44 AM »

Don't forget that Soundscan only counts major chains and even then not all store locations and not all major outlets.  I'm not trying to make excuses for Bach's figures but it sounds like a lot of the people here bought it at their local independent record shop, and that those places don't count on Soundscan

Wonder how many copies they actually shipped too.  If they shipped around 15,000 copies or so it's not that bad of a number.  I can't imagine they shipped any more than that
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 05:31:17 AM »

have they filmed a video yet?? what is the official first single?? I downloaded the cd on Itunes.? Does digital downloads count towards the 6500 and is the 6500 just the states or world wide?? I love just about every song on angel down and even think its better than Skid Row and I always like them as well.?

Better than Skid Row?

Sorry Dude but thats insane.

I like Sebastian but he needs Snake and Bolan.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 06:54:29 AM »

Don't forget that Soundscan only counts major chains and even then not all store locations and not all major outlets.  I'm not trying to make excuses for Bach's figures but it sounds like a lot of the people here bought it at their local independent record shop, and that those places don't count on Soundscan

Wonder how many copies they actually shipped too.  If they shipped around 15,000 copies or so it's not that bad of a number.  I can't imagine they shipped any more than that

it doesnt really matter, its not like a greater percentage of people went to independent record stores to buy this album compared to others.
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 07:36:45 AM »

have they filmed a video yet?  what is the official first single?  I downloaded the cd on Itunes.  Does digital downloads count towards the 6500 and is the 6500 just the states or world wide?  I love just about every song on angel down and even think its better than Skid Row and I always like them as well. 

Better than Skid Row?

Did you listen to what Rachel and Bolan have been doing lately?

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 08:33:26 AM »

have they filmed a video yet? what is the official first single? I downloaded the cd on Itunes. Does digital downloads count towards the 6500 and is the 6500 just the states or world wide? I love just about every song on angel down and even think its better than Skid Row and I always like them as well.

Better than Skid Row?

Maybe now, but back in the day Skid Row owned the stage. I saw them 3 times in the late 80s to early 90s, and with the exception of the GnR show, they blew the other bands away(sorry D, even Bon Jovi).

I can't see how Bach's album not selling well would have any effect on CD. If not for GnR fans, "Angel Down" wouldn't be selling nearly as well as it has. This was apparently a "spur of the moment" collaboration without much fore thought or planning; leaving just 3 months, give or take, for Axl's name to be associated with the project.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 09:45:53 AM »

I think Baz is realistic about what he can expect to sell. So much has changed in society and music since "Youth Gone Wild" and "18 and Life" that reclaiming the popularity he achieved with Skid Row is beyond the point of reason. Besides the album (which I like / Yes, I did buy it) is too heavy to ever reach the Top 40.

As many people noted, the album received little to no promotion from the label and had a very limited distribution. I went to five or so local record stores before I gave up and ordered it from Barnes and Noble online. By the time it arrived, it was up on I-Tunes. Embarrassed

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:32 AM »

have they filmed a video yet?  what is the official first single?  I downloaded the cd on Itunes.  Does digital downloads count towards the 6500 and is the 6500 just the states or world wide?  I love just about every song on angel down and even think its better than Skid Row and I always like them as well. 

Better than Skid Row?

for sure.   What Baz is doing sounds 10x better than what Skid Row is doing without him (I Remember You - Punk Rock Remix)  rofl
[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »

6,400 copies in first week only?  Shocked  rofl

Now that's not.. a start he'd want... But I'm sure sales will go slightly up when delivered in whole Europe and elseworld...  ok

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »

Failure?

I don't think Baz himself was expecting a Top 10 debut....

6400 units in it's debut week is a pretty big commercial failure by any standards, which is a little surprising considering that Axl's name was attached and it's all that Bach has been talking about for the past two months.

Right, but in this day and age if you are curious to hear Axl's singing you don't need to buy the album. One quick trip to Youtube gives you a lo-fi listen. I'm sure there's millions who just did that instead of buying this record (not proud to say myself included..sorry Baz, money's tight). Most people don't buy an album just to hear 5 minutes of guest vocals. And I'm sure alot of people who are just casually curious about CD will do the same...BUT GN'R has millions of diehard fans (as evident from 2006-2007 ticket sales). Baz does not have that kind of following. So Angel Down's sales possibility is not at all relative to that of Chinese Democracy.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »

BUT GN'R has millions of diehard fans (as evident from 2006-2007 ticket sales). Baz does not have that kind of following. So Angel Down's sales possibility is not at all relative to that of Chinese Democracy.

Not to mention when CD is released it is going to get sales on top of the regular fans like us by people who are probably going to be curious what they have been doing all these years making this album.  There is a mystique around the whole thing and that hasn't really faded at all as evident by the articles that still pop up frequently about Chinese Democracy.  Sad to say that not many were really curious what Baz was doing for the past 7 or so years, he just doesn't have the same icon status as Axl Rose. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »

6,400 copies in first week only?  Shocked  rofl

Now that's not.. a start he'd want... But I'm sure sales will go slightly up when delivered in whole Europe and elseworld...  ok

and when the distributional problem is sorted out.
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »

Greatest Hits jumps 20 to 1 in week 192 on Billboard's top pop Catalog chart, more peope bought Greatest Hits in week 192 than Angel Down.

This Week Last Week Two Weeks Ago Weeks on
Chart Title, Artist
Imprint | Catalog No. | Distributing Label  Peak
Position 
1  20 10 192     
Greatest Hits, Guns N' Roses   3
Geffen 001714 | IGA | 16.98  1

Source: Billboard.biz

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »

I dont think so NO.. Not many shops know Sebastians name in Australia anyway peace But i did get the CD and its awesome..I love it..   With the suply trouble its had in the US it wouldent have helped..He needs a video and a big Ballad Like bye your side.. ok
In Australia i havent seen one mention about Baz having a new cd anywhere!! peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 01:35:36 PM »

Hell to the no!

So many people are waiting for Chinese Democracy, I think people will buy it just to see what took Axl so long. And a lot of artists appear on other artist's CD's as a way of networking - you never know when you are going to need someone's help or want a certain person for a song. I have never seen a big artist appear on someone else's CD and then put out their own and people not buy the CD because of a guest appearance on another artist's record.

Puking doesn't make me horny.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »

it doesnt really matter, its not like a greater percentage of people went to independent record stores to buy this album compared to others.

It depends actually.  On indie releases like this more people buy it from and the local record store just because it's the only place that actually has it in stock.

A higher percentage of the people who buy Bach's album will buy it at the local record shop than say MCR or Toby Keith or whatever, that's for sure
MikeFrett
Headliner

Don't damn me

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2007, 02:09:05 PM »

Yes. Axl sings on it and thats been a promo tool for Baz. He's promoted this album to death on the air waves, making certain that Axl's name is mentioned at every turn.

Angel Down will be a benchmark at what to expect (sales/acceptance) from Chinese Democracy. Like it or not, Chinese Democracy isn't going to change the world of music. In fact, very little people will care. The ones that matter anyway.

Just look at the state of music, there's your benchmark and it sucks. A future where music consists of nothing more than a compilation of tunes by various artists is very real and should be concerning for fans of music. Music is becoming the next dinosaur and you all are invited to the funeral.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »

Angel Down will be a benchmark at what to expect (sales/acceptance) from Chinese Democracy.

Are you serious?

You think there's only about 7000 GN'R fans in the US who want to buy it the first week of release?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »

Angel Down will be a benchmark at what to expect (sales/acceptance) from Chinese Democracy.

Are you serious?

You think there's only about 7000 GN'R fans in the US who want to buy it the first week of release?

/jarmo

Seriously, there is more people than that on this site.  I think you can pretty much guarantee everyone here will be buying a copy and if you count the other major forum right there between the 2 you have 40k units sold just to the super diehards in the 1st week. 

I think we can also count in everyone who saw the band play in 2006-2007 to buy a copy.  Remember, they were there for GNR, not Baz.  I have no idea what the figures are for how many people attended the shows but I am going to guess it went into the millions.

Not to mention that even the casual fan will be picking it up in the store as an impulse buy to see what it's all about. 
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 02:35:12 PM »

A future where music consists of nothing more than a compilation of tunes by various artists is very real and should be concerning for fans of music.

nervous? Hasn't music always been a compilation of tunes by various artists??? Huh
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: