Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Best Owners in Professional Sports
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Owners in Professional Sports  (Read 9352 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 11:19:42 AM »

The Rooney's (Pittsburgh Steelers).  They succeed in being professional and maintaining integrity...class acts all the way, and in every respect of the business.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »

The Rooney's (Pittsburgh Steelers).  They succeed in being professional and maintaining integrity...class acts all the way, and in every respect of the business.

In contrast, I'd say the Nuttings are some of the worst - spend the money on the team (the pirates).

Should be a fun season for my beloved buccos though, they might actually compete this year (or at least finish above .500 for the first time in over a decade).

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 03:53:13 AM »

Al Davis, George Steinbrenner, Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban...they all want to win more than anyone else
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

Al Davis, George Steinbrenner, Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban...they all want to win more than anyone else

There's a difference between wanting to win and doing smart things to be able to win.  Davis and Steinbrenner don't exactly fit that latter portion, and occasionally Jones does some really idiotic things as well.  Cuban actually seems to be pretty good, even if I think he's a complete and utter douchebag.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »

There's a difference between wanting to win and doing smart things to be able to win.? Davis and Steinbrenner don't exactly fit that latter portion, and occasionally Jones does some really idiotic things as well.? Cuban actually seems to be pretty good, even if I think he's a complete and utter douchebag.

hmm the Yankees either win the world series or get close to it EVERY YEAR, and Al Davis  took over a terrible team in the 60's got them to 5 super bowls and won 3 of them...not to mention about 18 title game appearances...and the highest winning percentage in the history of the NFL(even with the last few years of sucking) they are going through a rough time right now...actually its the first rough time they have ever gone though in 40 years under Al Davis...makes him a pretty good owner if you ask me
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »

Steinbrenner wasn't the one who got the Yankees to those World Series in the late 90's.  That was because he was out of the picture, allowing minor league prospects to be groomed under Gene Michael's watch.  When Steinbrenner came back, the prospects were big-time players and the team was winning.  Ever since he's had his fingers in the pie again, the team has been rapidly going downhill.  There's a difference between being a World Series winner and a World Series contender.  For the Yankees, that difference can be summed up on one name: George Steinbrenner.

If Steinbrenner is with the team from 1990-1993 (the years he was "suspended for life" by MLB), you can almost guarantee Posada, Jeter, Williams, Rivera, and Pettite would all have been unloaded in some questionable deals.  Fred McGriff anyone?  How about Willie McGee?  Jay Buhner?  Those trades all were because of Steinbrenner's constant meddling in affairs of which he said he would butt out.  When he bought the Yankees, Georgie said he would stay out of the day-to-day affairs of running and building the team, and just be an owner.  Obviously he hasn't.

Just remember: when the Yankees win, George says it's because of George.  When they lose, George says it's because of his "baseball people" and he proceeds to fire anyone and everyone he sees.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »

There's a difference between wanting to win and doing smart things to be able to win.? Davis and Steinbrenner don't exactly fit that latter portion, and occasionally Jones does some really idiotic things as well.? Cuban actually seems to be pretty good, even if I think he's a complete and utter douchebag.

hmm the Yankees either win the world series or get close to it EVERY YEAR, and Al Davis? took over a terrible team in the 60's got them to 5 super bowls and won 3 of them...not to mention about 18 title game appearances...and the highest winning percentage in the history of the NFL(even with the last few years of sucking) they are going through a rough time right now...actually its the first rough time they have ever gone though in 40 years under Al Davis...makes him a pretty good owner if you ask me

Correct me if I am  wrong, but I don't think the Raiders have been to 5 Super Bowls.
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

They have.  Raiders won XI, XV, and XVII, and lost II and XXXVII.

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 12:06:57 AM »

They have.? Raiders won XI, XV, and XVII, and lost II and XXXVII.

Ok then, I stand corrected.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: