Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Beijing Olympics 2008
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beijing Olympics 2008  (Read 44165 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

I am in love with Shawn Johnson, she is awesome.

Phelps does come off as a goof and arrogant.  But he did great and deserves everything he gets.  He just won't be marketable like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Bo Jackson etc. were.  They all have/had charm and charisma.  Phelps lacks that.  But what he did WAS AMAZING!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2008, 09:56:29 PM »

The guy made it look so easy which it isnt to run that fast of a sprint

I respect the accomplishment, I just think he could have handled it a different way....less Chad Johnson-ish, more Marvin Harrison-ish.   Wink

The slowing down was one thing, but the pose before the race was the bigger deal to me.  Just sayin'  Grin
I would loooove to see what he could do on a football field.   yes  Make this man a Minnesota Viking!!!  beer

By be "more Marvin Harrison-ish" did you mean shoot someone outside of a restaurant?

Marvin didn't shoot anybody.  Harrison kicks ass.  He doesn't show-boat, and he's a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer.  peace
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:18:05 PM by Axl4Prez2004 » Logged

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »

SportsNet.ca

?Angel Valodia Matos (L) of Cuba kicks referee Chakir Chelbat of Sweden after he lost his bronze medal contest in the men?s +80 kg taekwondo competition against Aman Chilmanov of Kazakhstan during the 2008 Beijing Olympic in Beijing on August 23, 2008.?

Just found this photo on an MMA website, seems some people don't take to nicely to losing.

I haven't seen much this week, really enjoyed Tennis and Judo the first week though.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »

Just read about that on a news website, hes looking at a lifetime ban. Maybe he will move to MMA......

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2008, 12:13:27 AM »

Did anyone else hear about Jimmy Page closing the ceremony?

That would be so cool.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2008, 12:36:32 AM »

Yeah he will be performing.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2008, 03:35:52 AM »

Beijing primed for Olympic finale

The Beijing Games draw to a close on Sunday after what many have described as one of the best Olympics ever held.

China, having beaten the United States to top the medals table, will hand the Olympic flag to the 2012 hosts London at a closing ceremony from 1300 BST.

Great Britain surpassed all targets by winning 19 golds at the 2008 Games - their best haul for a century.

Kenya's Sammy Wanjiru won the men's marathon on the final day, with basketball and boxing finals to come.

Six boxing titles are being decided while the men's basketball final, featuring the United States and Spain, starts at 0730 BST.

Later, the spectacular farewell in front of a packed house of more than 90,000 at the Bird's Nest stadium is set to last three hours and will include fireworks displays at 18 locations across Beijing.

The organisers have promised a more light-hearted show than the opening ceremony, which focused heavily on Chinese history.

Scottish cyclist Chris Hoy, who claimed three gold medals at the Games, will carry the flag for Team GB at the closing ceremony.

The ceremony will also see London mayor Boris Johnson receive the Olympic flag to signal the countdown to the 2012 Games.

Team GB have been congratulated for their efforts in a message from The Queen.

"As a nation we now look forward to holding the Olympic Games in London in 2012," she said.

"The golden triumphs of the present British team can only serve as further inspiration to those who will be working hard over the next four years to make the London Games a shining example of Olympic success."

China staged the Olympics against a background dominated by fears of pollution, worries over security and protests about its human rights record.

But the sporting action has been enthralling, with highlights including Michael Phelps swimming to a record eight gold medals and Jamaican Usain Bolt breaking three world records as he bagged a sprint title treble.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who spoke on Sunday of his hope that a UK football team could compete in the next Olympics, will attend the closing event.

The London Olympics will also have a eight-minute slot that will feature a version of Led Zeppelin classic Whole Lotta Love performed by the group's guitarist Jimmy Page and singer Leona Lewis.

Footballer David Beckham will be involved as will the Royal Ballet and the London Symphony Orchestra.

The closing show will also feature a duet by Chinese folk singer Song Zuying and Spanish tenor Placido Domingo, along with a performance by a 350-strong kung-fu group.

There promises to be another spectacular show earlier in the day when the US basketball team, aka the 'Redeem Team', look to reclaim their crown against world champions Spain.

There are also six boxing gold medals to be decided, with Ireland's Kenny Egan going in the light-heavyweight final.

Other finals are taking place in the men's water polo (0840), men's volleyball (0500), and men's handball (0845).

In the rhythmic gymnastics group all-around event, Russia defended their title to take gold, while China claimed silver and Belarus bronze.

In total, there will be 12 gold medals won on the final day of action before the Games are handed on to London.

Fuck 'Em All.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2008, 08:01:05 AM »

SportsNet.ca

?Angel Valodia Matos (L) of Cuba kicks referee Chakir Chelbat of Sweden after he lost his bronze medal contest in the men?s +80 kg taekwondo competition against Aman Chilmanov of Kazakhstan during the 2008 Beijing Olympic in Beijing on August 23, 2008.?

Just found this photo on an MMA website, seems some people don't take to nicely to losing.

I haven't seen much this week, really enjoyed Tennis and Judo the first week though.

In addition to his lifetime ban, this fucker should have been arrested, tried for assault, and sent to a Chinese prison.....and I mean that.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »

Well you can say alot about the chinese but they do know how to put on a great show, the closing ceremony is just amazing.
Adam Bomb
Banned
Opening Act

KABOOM!

« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »

Yes kicking the referee was completely inexcusable, no matter how high his emotions were running at the time. Sending him to a Chinese prison might be a little harsh though!  hihi

The ban worked for me.

Just read about that on a news website, hes looking at a lifetime ban. Maybe he will move to MMA......

If he does move on to mixed martial arts then I hope he trains for a few years in other disciplines. As I hope you know, that sport requires a minimum of striking and grappling know how just for someone to have even the slightest chance. And unfortunately for taekwondo practicioners, their sport is hardly a prime starting point for MMA competition. They flail around like chickens, don't you see them? Lead with the chin, barely using their arms or fists. I know that it is part of the sport that they don't jab and punch, but that is my point. They can train for years, become black belts, and they still don't have a proper guard! I think it would be a major learning curve for someone with a taekwondo background to transition to more practical martial arts like kenpo, let alone MMA.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:32:13 AM by Adam Bomb » Logged

The man who throws a bomb is an artist, because he prefers a great moment to everything. (Gilbert K. Chesterton)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »

Yea chinese prison wouldn't want him.

for the first time I watched an Olympic closing ceremony. It was very enjoyable. 
Guess they produced lots of co2 in 2 hours.
GNRFAN20
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »

poor sportsmanship someone shouldnt do that just because they lost in a competiton and hurt someone
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »

so it's all over now.. what will u guys remember the best? for me it will deffinetly be usain bolt and ara abrahamian
GNRFAN20
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »

I will remember the most of is Micheal Phelps getting his eight medals
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »

okay, for me, after the women's beach volleyball bikinis... hihi...on the positive side:  Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, America's female gymnasts, ALL rhythmic gymnasts are very hot!, Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Trainer's wonderful personalities and grace, and last but not least-I think we should all adopt the tradition of the bow.  I loved that!  I'm all about the bow.   yes  ...and I loved the coverage of the C's: Costas, Collinsworth, and Carillo.  Throw Bela Karolyi in the too, because he was great too.   peace

the negatives:  just about every male sprinter is a fucking dick.  sorry to say it, but goddamn!  Even my country (the American sprinters) were a bunch of asses, Bolt's donation still doesn't excuse his showboating before the completion of his 100 meters, the tae-kwan-do kicker should be in a Chinese prison, the horrible deaths of the Americans visiting that shrine, and the judges who screwed Sacramone on her vault and let Chung Fei get a medal (ridiculous).

Overall, the best Games I've ever watched.   peace 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gt4XtSEGTI

rofl
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »

For me its gotta be Phelps and the whole story surrounding the men's volleyball team. They played inspired and won that gold medal for their coach.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »

This was the greatest Olympics I have ever seen.  I am blown away by how the Chinese came together and put on the the greatest shows the Olympics have ever seen.  London will blow compared to this.  I love Jimmy Page, but him and Leona was an embarrassment to what the Chinese did.  Period.  How the opening and closing ceremonies could ever be topped is beyond me. 

I love how Nastia and Shawn competed.  I would marry Shawn Johnson.  She is so freaking hot and cool.

The mens Bball team came together and put their egos aside and loved how they all put their medals on Coach K.

Bolt is beyond a badass, I want him as a receiver on my football team.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »

Phelps, Bolt and India winning it's first gold medal.  Embarrassed
Definitely, the greatest Olympics ever hosted. Got to hand it to the Chinese.

Fuck 'Em All.
GNRFAN20
« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2008, 12:56:26 AM »

One of the best and most controversial olympic games
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: