Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227900 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Oil prices...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oil prices...  (Read 119291 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 12:35:55 AM »

A big factor is that nations such as China and India are becoming more affluent than previous years, two of the largest populations of the world. More people are now able to afford cars and the demand is affecting the supply side of the world's oil production.

Like I said, that's part of it.

But instability in the middle east is also a large part of it.

And...who created that cluster fuck again? Who created the unrest? What is happening in the middle east (ie Iraq) right now? What could it possibly be that would cause speculation to run rampant? Hmmmm.....let me think here.

(I really gotta draw it out of you guys, I know, it's like pulling teeth...the denial is amazing... rofl)

why in the blue HELL can't we dig for oil in alaska and utah Huh

because the far left environmentalist douchebags wont let us....

The oil supply in Alaska would feed about a years supply to our enormous demand, it's not worth it.

why in the blue HELL can't we dig for oil in alaska and utah Huh

Another reason is simply cost. It is becoming more expensive (in some areas) to extract the oil than it would return. Scary stuff indeed.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:42:16 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »

So is anybody here changing their personal habits to help reduce our dependency on oil?

ShadowX? Sandman? GnRFl?

What are you doing?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 12:44:20 AM »

The President certainly has not lived up to my expectations, and yes I did vote for him twice. Congratulations for dragging that out of me. However, regarding oil prices its only a very small part of it.

Punk....We all know you hate Bush, we get it ( yawn)

My income depends on travel, I have an on service business. I didn't do a whole lot of unnecessary travel before prices rose.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:10 AM »

So is anybody here changing their personal habits to help reduce our dependency on oil?

ShadowX? Sandman? GnRFl?

What are you doing?

im doing absolutely nothing...im going to buy a new mustang or Jeep wrangler in a few months...and burn gas like a motherfucker... and i leave my lights on all day everyday and fall asleep with the computer and tv on EVERY night.... ok   but at least im being honest with ya...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:49:02 AM by Shadows7X » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »

When Bush got into office, oil was around 26 a barrel.

Now futures are hitting 115.

His foreign policies had plenty to do with it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 12:51:03 AM »

im doing absolutely nothing...im going to buy a new mustang or Jeep wrangler in a few months...and burn gas like a motherfucker... and i leave my lights on all day everyday and fall asleep with the computer and tv on EVERY night.... ok   but at least im being honest with ya...

Then you are part of the problem.

LOL, take a gander GnRFl, there is another part of your high gas prices: Increased demand spawned from a wasteful attitude.

but at least im being honest with ya...

Funny, I always took you for a liar.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:55:34 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 12:57:50 AM »

Then you are part of the problem.

LOL, take a gander GnRFl, there is another part of your problem: Demand based around wasteful attitude.

but at least im being honest with ya...

Funny, I always took you for a liar.

haha that would be you actually....but its ok...youre a liberal its expected....

there is nothing that pisses me off more than these self absorbed assholes driving around in their hybrid cars are telling everyone how they save gas and electricity....the only answer is to GET OFF OF OIL COMPLETELEY...we have had the technology to go solar since the Kennedy administration...but NEITHER  ill say that again...NEITHER party has done it...its funny how billionaire George Soros or some other powerful liberal doesnt spearhead a campaign to come up with a new energy source....all they do is sit around make documentaries about it and jerk eachother off at fundraising events while nothing changes...but wait i forgot...its my fault...i left the tv on...
SLCPUNK
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 01:08:30 AM »

haha that would be you actually....but its ok...youre a liberal its expected....

Oh yea? What do I lie about?

there is nothing that pisses me off more than these self absorbed assholes driving around in their hybrid cars are telling everyone how they save gas and electricity...

I never understood the anger towards prius drivers. You guys always type this exact sentence (talk about brainwashing.) I have NEVER met a prius owner who behaved in such a way. I must conclude that it is your guilty conscious that helps form this observation.

.the only answer is to GET OFF OF OIL COMPLETELEY...we have had the technology to go solar since the Kennedy administration...but NEITHER  ill say that again...NEITHER party has done it...its funny how billionaire George Soros or some other powerful liberal doesnt spearhead a campaign to come up with a new energy source....all they do is sit around make documentaries about it and jerk eachother off at fundraising events while nothing changes...but wait i forgot...its my fault...i left the tv on...

Plenty of people are doing what they can to lower our dependency on oil. Obviously it is not all or nothing, as you like to portray it.

If you have a wasteful attitude towards energy, then your waste helps create more demand for it, just like all the others who view it as a infinite resource. Absolutely.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:10:15 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 01:09:42 AM »

My income depends on travel, I have an on service business. I didn't do a whole lot of unnecessary travel before prices rose.

Yea.

Besides your driving habits...

What are you doing to help lower (y)our dependency on oil?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:31 AM »

I know you are wasteful, you seem proud of it (which is kind of sad) but let me ask you, why? Why would you chose to be wasteful with energy? Ultimately it costs you more money each month/year, right? And ultimately it is one part (of many things) that push market prices higher.

So why are you so proud of your ability to squander a finite resource? And why do you?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 01:46:51 AM »

Oil is run by a cartell.  It is not a "free market".  Until a cartell stops limiting supply while demand increases, we are fucked.

This has very little to do with "Bush."

OPEC is a fucking scam.

The shit will go down after the elections, like clockwork.

Many say India and China are driving the price up.  Their expansion is not Bush's fault.

Increased demand, limited supply.  Has nothing to do with bush. 

Countries that try to sell Oil outside of cartel can't hang.

Has anyone seen the house of that Saudi Prince?  Its fucking disgusting.  Anyone seen Dubai? 

This is all about money and greed and stock share holders.   They are all loving it. 

Oil needs to be taken off futures market maybe.  Its fucking rediculous.  Why should fear dictate oil prices.  Adjust when bad shit happens.  How is fuel in a barrell raised and the price at the pump goes up instantly?  It takes 18 months for fuel to go from barrel to pump.  18 fucking months.  But it only takes 2 second for the price to go up.  Look at that spread.  They are fucking killing it. 

Then you will hear all this bs about refinery capacity and other shit.  Its all bull shit.  People are getting so rich off this cartel produced rigged  market. 

What other industry can change the price by screaming "fire" or increase demand by limiting output (supply) to increase price.  I mean what if our power company or water companies did this?  Holy fucking shit.  How about we put water on the futures market and say, "Oh, terrorists are going to pollute our water supply with toxins" and the price sky rocket.  What other market can price go up of "speculation" alone and very little fact needed?  This is the biggest scam in the history of the world. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 02:01:32 AM »

You contradicted yourself in that post.

And you created a false argument to attack.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 02:03:48 AM »

You talking to me?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 02:21:55 AM »

You talking to me?

Yes, you insinuate several times that Bush is being held solely responsible for the price point, which is not true.

You also claim that Bush's policies are irrelevant, then turn around and ask why fear should dictate the price of oil.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 04:07:15 AM »

You talking to me?

Yes, you insinuate several times that Bush is being held solely responsible for the price point, which is not true.

You also claim that Bush's policies are irrelevant, then turn around and ask why fear should dictate the price of oil.

Bush being just another of Exxons puppets, where do you draw the line?

Oil has become the new diamonds. Plenty to go around, but with a cartel manipulating prices up.

Is that a thing for you slc, blaming it all on one man? You think anything will change, for the better, come November?

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
sandman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 08:11:38 AM »

ShadowX? Sandman? GnRFl?

What are you doing?

i don't do a thing. it doesn't even cross my mind.

i need to know exactly how my sacrifices would help. i need things quantified.

and i figure the sooner we run out of oil, the sooner we put pressure on the world to find alternative sources. so in a way i feel like i'm helping the situtation. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »

You talking to me?

I wasn't blaming BUSH!  I was saying he "isn't" soley responsible.

Also, he doesn't create the fear for oil.  Infact, that region is more stable now that it was during the Hezbolah/Israeli battle, but oil was cheaper then. 

The cartel, OPEC, are the ones fucking us and rigging the numbers and using China and India as the excuse every time.  Now, along with OPEC, the Oil companies responsibility to stock share holders is the other problem.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »

Thought I'd start a thread devoted to oil prices. We are in a really bad situation. Granted the US is still paying less for oil than other countries,

My mother was visiting from the UK - we worked out that gas/petrol is around $11/gallon over there right now.

Yeah, but the question is: Are you including the taxes when considering that price.

Because, if you are, you're comparing the UK price vs a deflated dollar.....that doesn't help....but you're also not taking into account the "perks" they're getting for paying that elevated price. 

Things like health care, for example.

Edit...oops...I see this was talked about a couple posts down from the original.  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:49:28 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »

I don't think Hybrids are that great for the environment.

Every night you plug it in to recharge it's battery, you're burning a great deal of electricity, and in turn, polluting the environment.

So ultimately, what you're saving by not buying as much gas, will instead go to paying off your now rather large hydro bill at the end of every month.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:18:10 AM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »

I don't think Hybrids are that great for the environment.

Every night you plug it in to recharge it's battery, your burning a great deal of electricity, and in turn, polluting the environment.

So ultimately, what you're saving by not buying as much gas, will instead go to paying off your now rather large hydro bill at the end of every month.

No, that's a 100% electric car, or the OLD hybrid (battery) tech.

The newer hybrids recharge their batteries on their own, during movement/braking.  No plugging required.  They run off gas engines over a certain speed, and electric engines during slower speeds/idle. 

If you do a LOT of city driving, they're great for the environment (and you wallet) because their mpg is stellar.  If you do a LOT of highway driving....they are a marginal improvement on gas mileage (sometimes a bit better than marginal..depends on the vehicle class, etc).  But, that being said....everything helps from an environmental standpoint.  The issue has been (and still is) getting the consumer to pay a premium for the tech if they are not going to see a MARKED improvement on mpg (mainly highway drivers, for example).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:29:15 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: