Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Chemistry within GNR
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Chemistry within GNR  (Read 3306 times)
insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: April 05, 2004, 12:44:58 PM »

Last night, thanks to daylight savings time, I couldn't sleep.  

I turned on the tv and decided to watch Welcome to the videos again and I noticed something.

The chemistry that surrounds GNR is amazing.  In every video (even after original members broke up....ex Steven and Izzy enter Matt and Gilby), the chemistry was evident and still is.

My question to you all is this.........What GNR video in your opinion, best exemplifes the true chemistry that surrounds this band?

For me, it has to be "Live and Let Die" video.  When I watch this video, I feel the chemistry come through the television.

The other video that exemplifies this is November Rain........especially the part where they all meet up inside the Rainbow.

I know everyone says that the new GNR have chemistry as well, however, I don't feel that 'uniqueness' when I watch the VMA performance as opposed to LALD.

I know too, that is an unfair assumption because I have yet to see the new band live as Tampa was one of the canceled shows.

What do you think will happen with the 'chemistry' of GNR if they do replace Buckethead?

I will always support GNR and any incarnation, but, damn.......it just is a shame to watch these videos off of WTTV and remember how this band was and to see where they are now.

I just am curious......what is your feeling on 'chemistry' regarding GNR? [headscratch]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:46:24 PM by insupportofaxl » Logged
Smoke
Rocker

nobody ever told me baby,how it was going to be

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 01:05:02 PM »

I think chemistry is very important for any band trying to make it and be successful.  Its true that GNR always seemed to mesh well in the past and when they did have problems they got rid of them and replaced them with someone who did filled in and they did a stellar job.  I don't think it is important to have the most talented musicians all together in one group to make an awesome band.  Its all about how they play together.  

Think of any sports team, there are teams that have all of these awesome players, such as the yankees and they should win every game hands down because they are so talented.  Then there are those small market teams that pull together and get through the hard times and keep their heads up and before you know it they are beating that group of all stars that should be winning.  

Having the right attitude and determination will make or break the band.  I think it was a good idea that buckethead left, because eventually he would of hurt the band in the long run if there was bad chemistry in the band.  Band members need each other to lean on and to depend on each other to make it.  
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 01:13:45 PM »

Warranted or not, they will always be compared against the chemistry of the old band. The sad fact is they will never capture the lighting in the bottle chemistry the original 5 had. It was a completely different scenario. Originally, they were 5 guys who formed a band and lived through hell and a meteoric rise to fame togehter. No amount of recording in a studio or touring together will ever do that for this band. They came together under different circumstances.....they were hired into a band. Their input may be taken into consideration, but ultimately they have a boss/employer relationship with their lead signer that will never allow them to recreate what they once had. That is not to say they will never have great chemistry together, when I saw them in cleveland they were outstanding. I'm just saying that when compared to the gold standard, a previous incarnation of themselves, there is no comparrison.
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 01:17:02 PM »

I noticed the tightness in the band as friends decline slowly as they went along.

I've got an old bootleg from the Troubadour in '86, and they seemed really close then...it made for cool viewing...even if the picture was a bit crap and the sound not too hot, but hey, it was cool  Grin

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 01:32:15 PM »

I think you have a good point. I just feel that old lineup was special, the core of Axl, Slash and Duff are in my mind comparible to some of the greatest tandems in rock. This new band to me will never be more than a constructed group.....how do you build Chemistry in that type of situation?? I also can't help but think that Axl is missing alot of what he depended on for song writing (Alot of Chemistry involved in that process), I know everyone fawns over Madagscar and The Blues (which aren't the big guns....) but do you really want an album of 12 piano based power ballads??
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »

If you watch the bootlegs of the past tour you will notice that this band has a lot of chemistry. There always jamming next to each other and Axl kinda plays with them a lot. Its cool to see.

The old lineup had great chemistry, especially in the beginning years. Towards the end it began to fade.

Gnr is the best fukin band in the world past and present.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
insupportofaxl
Optimist
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 04:51:06 PM »

If you watch the bootlegs of the past tour you will notice that this band has a lot of chemistry. There always jamming next to each other and Axl kinda plays with them a lot. Its cool to see.

The old lineup had great chemistry, especially in the beginning years. Towards the end it began to fade.

Gnr is the best fukin band in the world past and present.

I really wish Tampa hadn't cancelled.  God I would have loved to have seen that show and I even had a front row ticket infront of BH. crying

I agree........GNR is the best band and I'll support Axl regardless of who he has in there.  It's just frustrating I guess as we are all in the same boat.  

I do believe in Axl and I know he'll bounce back from all this shit.  I just hope whoever he gets to fulfill BH shoes is someone who will totally complete GNR.

Shit happens for a reason.......I just hope Axl can move forward and not let this affect him.  But in the interview he gave in Nov. 2002, he said that this band had taken a long time to come together.......it wasn't like they all met in a bar.

I just hope that this year is the year for GNR and CD ok
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 05:44:31 PM »

Dead Horse...

you can see the guys have  ALOT of fun onstage... axl even walked on his hands once... (in the DH video)

that video is like a trailer of a movie.. (shows the best live performances "stunts" from GNR)  ok

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 05:48:19 PM »

I turned on the tv and decided to watch Welcome to the videos again and I noticed something.

The chemistry that surrounds GNR is amazing.  In every video (even after original members broke up....ex Steven and Izzy enter Matt and Gilby), the chemistry was evident and still is.

I couldn't disagree more

The video's after Izzy and Steven left are essentially just Axl n' Slash - chemistry? It looks to me like there are only 2 members and a bunch of others that hang around in the background.

While the AFD and LIES videos certainly show this chemistry it is the total lack of this later on which is most evident - were is Duff in Estranged?? Do we get one good shot of Gilby in November Rain? Do we ever get a good look at Dizzy? Matt is nowhere in site bar a quick shot in Don't cry.

They didn't look like a band they looked like the efforts of 2 men and their under-lings

Great videos though and even better music.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Dizzy
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 06:31:15 PM »

I couldn't disagree more

The videos after Izzy and Steven left are essentially just Axl n' Slash - chemistry? It looks to me like there are only 2 members and a bunch of others that hang around in the background.

While the AFD and LIES videos certainly show this chemistry it is the total lack of this later on which is most evident - were is Duff in Estranged?? Do we get one good shot of Gilby in November Rain? Do we ever get a good look at Dizzy? Matt is nowhere in site bar a quick shot in Don't cry.

They didn't look like a band they looked like the efforts of 2 men and their under-lings

I completely agree on all counts.

The best example of the band's chemistry was the Ritz performance in 1988.  That was an incredible show all-around.  They were all on the same page in every way.  And that was greatly evident during the videos made during that period.  Hell, Steven didn't even play drums on the studio version of "Patience", but the band made it a point to include him rather prominently in the video.

Matt and Gilby are not bad musicians by any stretch, but they were never able to fill the shoes of Steven and Izzy, and the unit as a whole was never able to even come close to duplicating the chemistry of the original five.

Dizzy Reed, as good of a keyboardist as he is, is not featured much anywhere, so it's difficult to gage how well he meshes with the band, either the old lineup or new.

As far as the new band goes, it is the Axl Rose show through and through.  Only Tommy Stinson acts like he enjoys being there, but even he does little more than fervently bang his head while playing.  The others seemed to merely stand there and go through the motions, and nothing more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 06:33:35 PM by Dizzy » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »

As far as the new band goes, it is the Axl Rose show through and through.  Only Tommy Stinson acts like he enjoys being there, but even he does little more than fervently bang his head while playing.  The others seemed to merely stand there and go through the motions, and nothing more.
First off thats inaccurate. They jam with each other a lot during the tour. I ahve liek 8 bootlegs.

They get critisized for doing the old songs and not "playing them properly" but then get critisized for not showing the "right" enthusiasim when they do.

watch their facial expressions, you couldnt be more wrong. Especially watch msg. The 2002 tour ended right after SCOM at MSG. The band couldnt do any better on that tour then they did up to that point and for the remainder of the show. Axl and Robins facial expressions say it all right after scom.

Axl and and tommy are always wrestling and having fun on stage.
Axl and finck are always jamming together.
Finck fortus and tommy do as well.
Bucket is doing his robotic stuff.

What do you want from these guys. Its not even their material. Judge them when that material finally gets released thats all i ask.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 07:14:43 AM »

I thought the chemisty was more powerfull in their first days with the orginals axl, slash, duff, izzy n steven...but when i watch like the dead horse clip i think that they still had it strong with the new members peace

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: