Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 12:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  My Tribute to Robin Finck
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Tribute to Robin Finck  (Read 7696 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTf41FSS6I

I try to capture his soul and passion.  Let me know how I did.  Ha!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »

"This video has been removed by the user."

Why?

Anyways, here's me trying to do the same with Robin, lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9kXud6PlWRM

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

Why?

Pretty decent cover dude, you got a good band going there.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »

Thanks dude, but I'm not in this band anymore. To be honest, I guess the band is over now due to lack of interest of the other members (which pissed me off and made me walk away).

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »

Why?

Voodoo, you are superior to Finck. Period.  You are better at Finck, than Finck.  I took down my tribute because it was a tribute based off the at 2006 Mexico clip I hated. 

You know, the one where he was Slash, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, and Zakk Wylde all in the same solo.  I didn't want that shitty playing to be a reflection on my true playing, that while still shitty, is not as shitty.   

I am serious when I say you are better.

Finck is a hack, a bad copy of a copy.   

Voodoo, great band you have.  Lots of talent.  Very Impressed.
CSS
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »

Basically, you made a video showing how shitty Robin Finck is?

How cool...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »

yes, I played an improv solo similar to that of fink with band bends, missed notes, notes in the wrong key, no structure, wah abuse etc.  In a guitar forum, they said I was dead on.. Ha!  But I think people viewing it thought it was a real tribute and they didn't get it.  Ha!  So I just took it down because i think it was wrong of me to make fun of another player.   Though I don't like him, you have to respect him for trying I guess.  He isn't respected in any other circles other than this one.  He isn't considered a "real" player because live he blows so bad. 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »

Well, I don't agree with anything you said (including me being better than Finck). But each to their own, I think Robin is trully a genious... I really don't care about what other circles says, I don't like this musician talk about how someone is not playing in the "right way". As far as he still makes great music, I couldn't care less.

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »

I agree that Robin's improvised solos do have no structure, and tend to have quite a bit of mistakes, but he's not that bad. I saw your video before it was taken down, damn it sucked.  hihi
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »

Thanks dude, but I'm not in this band anymore. To be honest, I guess the band is over now due to lack of interest of the other members (which pissed me off and made me walk away).

that's the best you could do. your guitar parts are way better than the rest of the band (the singer was laughable hihi), congrats.

talking about robin, he kicks ass, he's a fantastic guitar player and he's (with axl of course) the bigger interest of the new band.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »

I agree that Robin's improvised solos do have no structure, and tend to have quite a bit of mistakes, but he's not that bad.
You mean his jam solos or the real solos on songs?

that's the best you could do. your guitar parts are way better than the rest of the band (the singer was laughable hihi), congrats.
LOL, thanks... I don't think he's that bad, but the lack of interest on the new band (they all play on the old band cover and clearly likes it much more) really pissed me. They didn't like the new songs, they don't like the new band. We only had two rehearsals before this gig and the keyboard guy had his first time playing with us already there. It could only lead to a weak performance... I had to teach how to play most of the new songs to the guys in two days and my reward was to have my guitar in a shitty mix almost inaudible.

talking about robin, he kicks ass, he's a fantastic guitar player and he's (with axl of course) the bigger interest of the new band.
Same here. Smiley

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:55:51 PM »

Voodoo, give us some more youtube videos of you.  You rock.

Rob, of course my video sucked!  It was imititating finck!  ha!!!!

Voodoo, I like the studio solos!  His live solos where he jams suck when compared to Ron Thal.  Ron is the badass, and Fortus is good too. 

Maybe this is like Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, where Whitford is the better player, but Perry gets all the claim!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »

Voodoo, give us some more youtube videos of you.  You rock.
No, I don't. Tongue

Maybe you're being sarcastic here, but anyways, there's more videos with this newgnr cover band in my Youtube profile.

Voodoo, I like the studio solos!  His live solos where he jams suck when compared to Ron Thal.  Ron is the badass, and Fortus is good too. 
Well, as far as composing interesting melodies, I'd go with Robin anytime. Richard is too regular (100% competent, but far from being original) and Ron is cool but shreds way too much. Listening to Robin's solo in Budokan 2007 is fucking pleasure to me, while I just skip Ron and Richard's solos on my mp3.

Maybe this is like Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, where Whitford is the better player, but Perry gets all the claim!
If you're going with being better technically, maybe you're right. Richard and Ron are better than Robin in this side. But tell me who's the better writer... I think the same goes with Perry. 

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »

I must admit voodoo is very talented. But it doesn't mean Robin is untalented. He is very original and so is voodoo. maybe it's sorta like a genius knows another genius. Tongue
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 06:10:14 PM »

Great.
You should get yourself a hobby or something...  Roll Eyes

Bruno, I dig your playing, dude!
Oh, and... lose the singer, haha  Grin
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 06:12:03 PM »

I agree that Robin's improvised solos do have no structure, and tend to have quite a bit of mistakes, but he's not that bad.
You mean his jam solos or the real solos on songs?

his jam solo, that what i meant by improvised. Unlike most guitarists who's solos revolve around a theme or motif, robins just seem endless, completely random, and like i said before, structureless.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »

Why?

Voodoo, you are superior to Finck. Period.  You are better at Finck, than Finck.  I took down my tribute because it was a tribute based off the at 2006 Mexico clip I hated. 

You know, the one where he was Slash, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, and Zakk Wylde all in the same solo.  I didn't want that shitty playing to be a reflection on my true playing, that while still shitty, is not as shitty.   

I am serious when I say you are better.

Finck is a hack, a bad copy of a copy.   

Voodoo, great band you have.  Lots of talent.  Very Impressed.

$lash worshipper whose opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 10:38:31 PM »

[$lash worshipper whose opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

He was just paying Voodoo a compliment. Maybe you should chill a while, dunk your head in ice or something... or else you might have an aneurysm.

Fuck 'Em All.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »

Voodoo, I am not sarcastic at all!  I agree with most of your points!   ok

I still feel Bumble is being underused.  I am still not sure what his role is.  When he does his "don't cry" version, how can that not move anyone?  Well, I know you don't mean he doesn't, but he is just a monster.  As was Bucket.

Robman, you get what I mean when I say no structure.  Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this.  I love an improv solo that builds and builds.

Jim Bob, I do greatly admire Slash, no arguments here!!

I will reserve final judgement on Robin after CD is released, but to me the other two are in another league.  We shall see!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:24 PM »

[$lash worshipper whose opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

He was just paying Voodoo a compliment. Maybe you should chill a while, dunk your head in ice or something... or else you might have an aneurysm.

dude this whole thread was a bash to robin.   read the whole thing.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: