Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:39:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Fuck this.......Atleast we had 2002
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck this.......Atleast we had 2002  (Read 8777 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2005, 10:07:12 PM »

Rob, very good point. A few days ago, I went to a bunch of chat rooms to "test the waters" and see what the reaction was to GNR and a new album. It was not good. Most people didn't care. There was also some people who liked them back then but said they had moved on to bands that actually make albums. And there was two guys who started bitching about Philly. One of them was at that "show" and said he would never listen to GNR again. That night in chat was a real eye opener. It made me realize that the release of this album is not going to cause a hysteria when its released like Illusions did.

No its not going to cause even a fraction of the hysteria UYI created, that is a given.

What amuses me is these threads where its discussed how many millions it will sell in its first week, the media blitz that will occur, queue's outside record stores, 24/7 blanket CNN coverage etc.. etc.. etc...

The fact of the matter is that CD will succeed or fail solely on it's artistic merits. If it's a good or great album you can expect respectable sales, if not it will fizzle.

The marketing strategy should be a cautious, word of mouth approach. It is laughable to even compare it to the hype and excitment surrounding UYI. At the time of UYI, GNR were the biggest thing the world had seen since Beatlemania. Today, Joe Public doesnt give a rats ass about the return of Axl Rose - yes a GNR reunion would be big news and do big business, but as Im sure Axl is aware, the success of CD will not be judged on how many millions of dollars it earns for shareholders, but rather in 10 years if those who own a copy are still listening to it and talking about it.

There has already been way too much hype heaped on it. IMO that is tantamount to setting it up to fail

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2005, 05:43:50 PM »

Rob, very good point. A few days ago, I went to a bunch of chat rooms to "test the waters" and see what the reaction was to GNR and a new album. It was not good. Most people didn't care. There was also some people who liked them back then but said they had moved on to bands that actually make albums. And there was two guys who started bitching about Philly. One of them was at that "show" and said he would never listen to GNR again. That night in chat was a real eye opener. It made me realize that the release of this album is not going to cause a hysteria when its released like Illusions did.

No its not going to cause even a fraction of the hysteria UYI created, that is a given.

What amuses me is these threads where its discussed how many millions it will sell in its first week, the media blitz that will occur, queue's outside record stores, 24/7 blanket CNN coverage etc.. etc.. etc...

The fact of the matter is that CD will succeed or fail solely on it's artistic merits. If it's a good or great album you can expect respectable sales, if not it will fizzle.

The marketing strategy should be a cautious, word of mouth approach. It is laughable to even compare it to the hype and excitment surrounding UYI. At the time of UYI, GNR were the biggest thing the world had seen since Beatlemania. Today, Joe Public doesnt give a rats ass about the return of Axl Rose - yes a GNR reunion would be big news and do big business, but as Im sure Axl is aware, the success of CD will not be judged on how many millions of dollars it earns for shareholders, but rather in 10 years if those who own a copy are still listening to it and talking about it.

There has already been way too much hype heaped on it. IMO that is tantamount to setting it up to fail

Exactly, even if it winds up selling a couple million copies, with all the waiting and hype and whatnot the album would still be a bit of a dissapointment in some ways.  And I highly doubt the songs will be good enough to warrant the waiting we've gone through.  CD basically has to be one of the greatest albums of all-time to justify the hype, and I doubt it will be that good if it ever comes out. 

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2005, 06:01:04 PM »

Yeah, I think the six years of constant hype is setting us up for a huge letdown. And if there isn't at least a couple 'Big Guns", the media is gonna rip it apart. I think the media will give it a chance, but if there's nothing on it to warrant all the hype, expect bad reviews for CD across the board. Maybe Axl knows it cant live up to the hype, so thats why we're in a perpetual state of "finishing touches".

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2005, 08:51:46 PM »

Yeah, I think the six years of constant hype is setting us up for a huge letdown. And if there isn't at least a couple 'Big Guns", the media is gonna rip it apart. I think the media will give it a chance, but if there's nothing on it to warrant all the hype, expect bad reviews for CD across the board. Maybe Axl knows it cant live up to the hype, so thats why we're in a perpetual state of "finishing touches".

I agree 100%
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: