Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227926 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How was TSI? recorded???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How was TSI? recorded???  (Read 3639 times)
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« on: August 06, 2005, 12:38:05 PM »

We all have heard how SFTD was the end of gnr, that they were recording it separately, no one was really in the studio together. i think slash said "that's the sound of a band breakingup"

so i know they were doing bits n pieces on the road, during 92 and 93 for TSI?

BUT....

does anyone know about those sessions?? were they together? was axl recording by himself? if they were on the road, i can imagine them all being together, but then again, this was gnr, and i think gilby said you hardly ever saw axl, except on stage. (and about 2-3 hours late)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »

I think they were probably together, but then i have no information to base this on...  Undecided

Fuck 'Em All.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 01:27:54 PM »

does anyone know about those sessions?? were they together? was axl recording by himself? if they were on the road, i can imagine them all being together, but then again, this was gnr, and i think gilby said you hardly ever saw axl, except on stage. (and about 2-3 hours late)

Contrary to that, in the other thread Mike Fasano tells that Matt was always late.

And here is another one, told by Mike Fasano, Matt Sorums old drum tech, who was a friend of GnR:

.............about a year later I threw a surprise birthday party for Matt at my tiny house in Bore-bank (Burbank.) It was almost 2 hours away from where Axl was living. We did the surprise for Matt, and Ray Parker Jr. was there (odd!) along with a lot of the local celebs, crew and band.
Then I get a phonecall at 10:30 saying Axl and his entourage are on their way and need directions to the house. He arrives a little after midnight with a cassette tape of the then-unreleased "The Spaghetti Incident?" album (which, by the way, featured my major-label percussion debut. Enjoy me on the "Hair of the Dog" cover, not to be confused with Warrant's cover of the same song on "Under the Influence," available at WarrantWeb.net!) Axl put the tape in the stereo and plays it at the party. Then he gives the tape to me.............

Wait, here's another. Matt was notorious for being late to GNR rehearsal, and one time Axl and I were messing around jamming waiting for him to get there. We recorded a fifteen-minute version of one of Axl's songs (sorry, I don't remember what song it was) and by the time Matt arrived, we had finished this demo that Axl was totally stoked about. He loved the drum part I came up with for it.

Since we're talking about GNR and I have the floor, let me tell a story about Slash too. I was working on the original Slash's Snakepit, with Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum, Slash, and Mike Inez - not the lineup with my bro Keri Kelli. Matt, being late AGAIN, wasn't there to start rehearsal on time.
Thanks coolman.
Eric
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »

I think a lot of the songs were done during the Use your Illusion sessions-didn't Gilby re-record Izzy's guitar parts? I remember him saying that.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »

Eric, you're right. The majority of TSI was recorded in 1991. Those songs were supposed to be on Illusions, but obviously there wasn't enough room on the albums.

blasphemer
Banned
Rocker

Are You A Dead MonkeY?

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »

When slash was talkin about "that is the sound of the band breakin up" Im pretty sure he was talkin about "sympathy for the devil".

Kayne West qoute "George Bush dont like black people".  Kayne West is like the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Shes a gold digger says it all.  His mind, his ideas, his art, is nothing short of genius.
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 03:20:28 PM »

Eric, you're right. The majority of TSI was recorded in 1991. Those songs were supposed to be on Illusions, but obviously there wasn't enough room on the albums.

No they were not. They were never planned to be on illusions. In fact even before the Illusions were recorded the plan was set for a covers album after the next original.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »

Saul, it's funny how you're always trying to correct me. Yes, they were supposed to be on Illusions. Go back and look at the Illusions tracklists that was given to the media in Circus, RIP, and Hit Parader magazines. About half of TSI is on the tracklist. This isn't opinion. Its fact. The punk cover album idea happened after they realized all those covers couldn't be on the album.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »

One thing about the Gunners is their true appreciation of the wondrous catalog of rock history. This band has never been afraid to cover a cool song, no matter where it came from. From Aerosmith's "Mama Kin" to Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," the influences are wide ranging, to say the least. It's speculated that the EP, which may be released some time after the LP, will contain at least four covers, these being the punk tunes "I Don't Care About You" by Fear, "Attitude" by the Misfits, "New Rose" by the Damned and "Black Leather" by the Sex Pistols. The covers "Live And Let Die" by Wings and "Down on the Farm" by U.K. Subs will appear on Illusion.

Guns N' Roses The Illusion Of Greatness by Lonn M. Friend
RIP June 1991

Obviously they didn't know what songs were gonna be on UYI when this article was written.

Many of the songs were originally recorded during the UYI sessions (for example  "I Don't Care About You", "Attitude", "New Rose" and "Black Leather").

Then they started adding "non-punk" songs (like "Since I Don't Have You").

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 04:08:45 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 05:28:33 PM »

Jarmo, I remember that article. One of the best GNR articles ever. I always liked Lonn Friend. He used to get alot of scoops. If memory serves me correctly, he was the first person to announce Izzy had left the band. He also was the first to announce that Vince Neil had been fired from Motley Crue. I always wondered what happened to Lonn. In Circus magazine, they had the Illusions tracklists months before the albums came out. It had the Illusions songs, a bunch of TSI songs, and I think it even had 'Aint Goin Down'. 

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »

Saul, it's funny how you're always trying to correct me.
Only when you're wrong.  peace

Yes, they were supposed to be on Illusions.

Again , no .. no they were not. Ever.  ok

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 06:21:15 PM »

Saul, go read issues of Circus Magazine from mid 1991. They had the most accurate tracklist at the time. It included all of UYI and about half of TSI.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 06:46:16 PM »

Saul, it's funny how you're always trying to correct me.
Only when you're wrong.? peace

Yes, they were supposed to be on Illusions.

Again , no .. no they were not. Ever.? ok

According to the RIP article I quoted in an earlier post, at least "Down On The Farm" was thought of being included on the UYI albums.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 06:52:48 PM »

I dont have those Circus magazines, but I think the songs they named for Illusions were 'Attitude', 'Down on the Farm', 'Aint it Fun', 'New Rose', and 'I Dont Care About You'. I think 'Raw Power' was also on the list, but I'm not sure.

James_Ramone
Headliner

Right next door to hell

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 06:59:33 PM »

sorry to stray off, but whatever happened to rip magazine? and another magzine called RAW? ive only been into rock about 3 years, so i dont know, but i hear it mentioned alot.

I also didnt know that some of the spaghetti songs were being considered for the illusions, i think "down on the farm" would have fit onto uyi1 well.

G'N'F'N'R's
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2005, 07:25:36 PM »

I also always wondered what happened to RIP magazine. It was one of the best rock magazines ever. It might have been discontinued during the grunge era. I was also a big fan of Circus magazine, but around 92-93, they switched over from rock to grunge and I stopped buying it. Rip just seemed to vanish into thin air. Probably another casualty of grunge.

Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 04:04:50 AM »

First GNR wanted to release 4 albums, then they had to fill them with the punk cover stuff, but Geffen said no so they released a punk cover album instead!!!

duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 07:09:32 AM »

First GNR wanted to release 4 albums, then they had to fill them with the punk cover stuff, but Geffen said no so they released a punk cover album instead!!!

Yeah, I've read about the four albums too.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 09:37:58 AM »

The band originally wanted a 4-CD boxset, if I recall correctly one of the articles from the HTGTH Articles section. Geffen said it'd be too expensive for the fans, so they agreed on 2 albums with 'The Punk Covers EP' to follow.

GN'R liked to release EPs to tide fans over between albums. That's what "TSI?" appears to have been intended as. Of course, the follow-up didn't appear. I think people shouldn't view Spaghetti Inciddent in as bad a light as some do here. It seems to have been intended as just another GN'R Lies-style EP.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 01:12:36 PM »

I thought the majority of them were not recorded during the Illusion sessions, but actually during the Illusion tour.   My memory is not what it used to be though, so I could be wrong. 

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: