Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I always wanted to know - Who wrote What?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I always wanted to know - Who wrote What?  (Read 6537 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 11:47:18 AM »

Of course the individual is going to write the part for their own intruments... That's just assumed.
I think "writing" means coming up with the part, or modifying it.

Like if I wrote a song, and someone else added a bridge, or changed the chorus or something.
That's writing.

Coming up with drums and bass is just what you're in the band to do.

But..........

Can you imagine any GnR song (besides Patience hihi ) without drums. Adding drums to a song is part of the creative process, no? They are not just an after thought to the creative process. Drums and Bass go hand in hand and are arguably the backbone of songs. Without the timing layed down its hard to keep those guitarists in line (I know I'm one of them hihi After I took some lessons for Bass Guitar I was waayyy better at keeping  song timing in my head)

Take Paradise City for example Stevens drum work on that song defines it from the cybals setting up Slash's intro to the Snare(?)/Bass combo (I don't pretend to be a Drummer) through the whole song to the little drum roll at the end. Nobody but Steven did that shit. and it's all just as loud as the guitar work on the recording.

And SCoM Duff's bassline during the intro is Killer, and I have no doubts that that was all him (yet he gets no credit for helping to write the song) it definately is not the same as Slash's intro I can tell you that ok

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 12:38:26 PM »

GNR could have done the drumming the "metallica" way... and told steven, we want you to play this song with kind of a punk feel to it, but alittle more funky.
know what i mean? like the brake right before/in the solo in move to the city, the cowbell, did steven comeup with that? or did anyone else tell him that would be cool?

also, who's idea was it to use the cowbell? maybe axl/slash/duff told him cowbell is cool... we never know... i just hope steven was more creative than that..

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
dr. light
Headliner

hola soy el piji

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »

im fuckin tired that some people here always turn this things into steven bashin things

i didnt read any answer to this topic...they were all steven bashing answers

army of darknes is the best movie ever!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »

im fuckin tired that some people here always turn this things into steven bashin things

i didnt read any answer to this topic...they were all steven bashing answers

I thought I answered the question as well as anyone could (Outside people who were there) I took all the credits for AFD and gave a percentage for how many credits each member got. It's not my fault that Steven got 0% hihi I'm sick of people Defending a douchebag at every turn rofl

In all honesty I dont care for him myself but I also did defend him (sorta) saying that "Stevens drum work on PC defines the song" and that "I highly doubt anyone but Steven "wrote" the drum parts for AFD".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:15:55 AM by Neemo » Logged

dr. light
Headliner

hola soy el piji

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »

yeah but steven did a lot more in appetite than what he is credit for. axl knew it so he gave him 15%.

what i dont understand is why always people laugh at him.

army of darknes is the best movie ever!!!
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2005, 09:33:42 PM »

yeah but steven did a lot more in appetite than what he is credit for. axl knew it so he gave him 15%.

NO axl gave him this money... cuz in the middle of a tour... steven said that if they dont give him this amount of money... he wont play..

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 12:37:15 AM »

NO axl gave him this money... cuz in the middle of a tour... steven said that if they dont give him this amount of money... he wont play..

he pulled an Axl  Shocked
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 01:47:58 AM »

Of course the individual is going to write the part for their own intruments... That's just assumed.
I think "writing" means coming up with the part, or modifying it.

Like if I wrote a song, and someone else added a bridge, or changed the chorus or something.
That's writing.

No its not. Writing credit goes like this.
Melody is 50% and Lyrics are 50%.
That is it. If a band wants to give credit for anything else they can but dont have to.
Just look at Nov Rain and Estranged. Axl wrote the melody and lyrics for both while slash wrote the solos but slash did not get any writing credits for either song.
So unless you write some lyrics or help come up with the main melody, you dont get credit.
Also vocal melody goes into the melody for the 50%.
Axl a lot of times Axl got credit for melody for his vocal melody

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 11:21:44 AM »

You're pretty close but it was just before they made the album that Steven threatened to quit if he didn't get a percentage of the publishing, so Axl gave him 15% of his just so steven would stay in the band and so they could do the album.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 11:24:45 AM »

GNR could have done the drumming the "metallica" way... and told steven, we want you to play this song with kind of a punk feel to it, but alittle more funky.
know what i mean? like the brake right before/in the solo in move to the city, the cowbell, did steven comeup with that? or did anyone else tell him that would be cool?

also, who's idea was it to use the cowbell? maybe axl/slash/duff told him cowbell is cool... we never know... i just hope steven was more creative than that..

I highly doubt the other guys in the band came up with the different drumparts..
maybe Duff did come up with a few but that would be it.

I play drums, and I know from experience that when any dufus that plays a different instrument suggests I do  a part a certain way, it ALWAYS ends up sounding like absolute shite when I play it the way they ask me to.

people that are not drummers can't really see whats possible to do on drums within the beat you're playing and such.
it just ends up sounding chaotic and pointless.

Im not gonna say much more here than that Steven definately deserved the 15% that he got!
Slash made a pretty crappy system for the royalty-splitting.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 03:36:11 AM »

Shocked   why cant you people realize that the drums  we hear on AFD is what Steven wrote !!! beer peace

He made the fills and drum beats to the songs, and he would have influenced the guys at some point during writing, maybe some stops n' changes or some shit!! ok

If we had ol' Boring arse Fat Sorum on AFD it wouldnt have been the classic shit we have, it would have been fucked Huh    i love Stevens Snare hits n' his rolls man, he kix arse and he deserve's his 15% cut!!! ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
i_love_axl
Opening Act

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005, 04:20:21 AM »

http://www.gnrinfo.tk/ peace
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: