Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  VMA issues?!?!?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: VMA issues?!?!?  (Read 7169 times)
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« on: January 07, 2006, 01:39:12 PM »

I wonder what exactly happened at the VMAs in 2002.

Who the hell came up with that arrangement? The transition from jungle to maddy is pretty good (although the last 4 lines of jungle sound weird) but what the hell happens at the end of maddy into PC. what a disaster, sounded like garbage.

so im wondering, whose idea do u think it was to set the songs up like that? they should have done sweet child into chinese democracy or maddy into sweet child. its easy to say in hindsight, but you'd think they would have rehearsed that much more.

Leads me to believe, there is alot of laziness going on in the GnR camp. "I'll start recording my vocals over the summer", or "Lets release the CD next year"....im sure these are thoughts of Axl's. When u move slowly and never really make a real move, people stop expecting things, thus, less pressure.
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:56:22 PM »

Axl said in an interview they came up with the arrangement the day before the performance.

I thought it was corny - definitely should have just did "Madagascar".
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:00:13 PM »

Although the group onstage was excellent playing wise when I heard the opening riff to jungle then saw the people onstage it felt so fucking weird.. I mean if you grew up with afd then see gnr make a "comeback" you almost have the vision in your head of what it should be.. Like that should be slash doing that opening riff... I enjoyed the show it just wasn't gnr to me even if others felt it was..
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »

I was pumped when I heard the opening riffs of jungle, then when I heard Axl start to sing my heart sank. I felt really bad for him. He should drop that damn ear piece, he screws with it too much and it takes away from his singing. I think the nerves got  the  better of him.  You could see hiim struggling the whole song.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »

yeah... i agree....he kinda looked like a recluse who got thrust into the spotlight.....man, i dont know what this dude's problem is....he's missing out on the time of his life when he should be performing....he's wasting this all away....this guy can take over the world again, he's just gotta do it....
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:23:48 PM »

I was pumped when I heard the opening riffs of jungle, then when I heard Axl start to sing my heart sank. I felt really bad for him. He should drop that damn ear piece, he screws with it too much and it takes away from his singing.

That's because the audio wasn't loud enough for him to hear himself - he needed to keep cupping it to his ear in order to keep his pitch and know his place in the song.

That obviously didn't work out too well.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »

yeah... i agree....he kinda looked like a recluse who got thrust into the spotlight.....man, i dont know what this dude's problem is....he's missing out on the time of his life when he should be performing....he's wasting this all away....this guy can take over the world again, he's just gotta do it....

as people have said or should I say axl that performing isn't his favorite part, that he even kind of dreads it... The creative process is what he loves.. maybe that's why he is taking about 7 years or so hihi  The time was right back then ,.the iron was hot etc... WHy waste a damn closing of the vmas(which will be seen 30 million times that year) in which you included a new song which could have easily been a single, it was cool tune that was radio friendly and imo in his vocal range where he sounds clear live..
blaqktiger
Guitars Suck
Rocker

The only man to pull off a Red Suit - BfoOt

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »

Yeah it was the audio in his ear.. but seriously.. Axl waited so long for his big return and we know how perfect he wants everything to be... the pressure must have been huge that night... I really felt for him Cry

07-06-2006 -- Hammersmith Apollo.
11-06-2006 -- Donington Park.
30-07-2006 -- Wembley Arena.

www.robinfinck.com
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »

Yeah, there were numerous sound problems during that performance, you can see both Axl and Buckethead are having issues throughout the whole thing! Funnily enough when the VMAs were broadcast in UK on terrestrial television they actually cut out the performance of Welcome to the Jungle, obviously someone over there didnt think too much of it! haha!

Jonx
Brahman
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 05:51:15 PM »

axl actually agreed to play what mtv suggested??
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 12:02:56 AM »

Yeah, major mistakes were made at the VMA's. Doing a medley of Jungle,Madagascar, and Paradise City was a dumb move, but I can understand why he did it. He wanted a great crowd response, and Jungle could even wake up a deaf crowd, and PC was always their closing song. Instead of playing it safe, he should have played a new song in its entirety. MTV probably would have started showing it as a video(like they did KOHD in the heyday). And you guys have already mentioned the vocal problems, so I wont add anything there. hihi What's suprising about that night is how with all the various mistakes, Axl was still able to create a HUGE buzz about GNR, even though it was for a brief moment in time. Had CD been ready for release at that moment, it would probably be the biggest selling album of the past few years.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 01:36:27 AM »

They could have just played the intro to WTTJ then gone into Chinese Democracy.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 01:49:53 AM »

i think the choice of songs was perfect.WTTJ intro to get everybody goin,then into madagascar something new and proberbly the best sounding of the new ones,then finish it with a classic PC which is always there last song.the thing is poeple say that it was a bad choice of songs but if the technical problems hadnt occured and axl could hear himself sing which is what it looked like the problem was,then we would of all loved it.
  another thing,has anybody gotten hold of the VMA rehersals video from the day before?there is a thread about it here.i wonder how axl sounded on that.it definetly exhists as there are pics of it.i think axl was wearin a cleveland browns top but i could be wrong about that.there are pics in the thread.

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 05:27:11 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that if they played the same version of Oh My God they did at rio (but didnt fuck up on the last verse) they woulda got some great reviews? I freaking love the new way they play that song..

Oh My God = The synth opener they used in rock in rio may not be as memorable as the intro to jungle.. but its still a very cool intro with the drums and all... very good rocker all around (let me stress that im not talking about Oh My God studio..)

Chinese Democracy = As soon as Axl finished Oh My God they shoulda busted out into this song.. Axl could have said something like "this is chinese democracy"...

Madagascar = for the "epic" new song... so people still knew axl was "deep" ect.

thats what the songs shoulda been. all new.

gnrevolution.com
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 06:29:41 AM »

^ I think three new songs would have been totally stupid, you are supposed to be getting "guns n roses" back after this long lay off who are supposed top be a legendary band (well the afd band) and they are to play 3 songs no one has ever heard..?? The way they did it was perfect they did two songs everyone knew that were famous... Opener and closer with one new song in there.. If axl would have followed through and released something then the amount of songs at the vmas wouldn't have mattered.. I think the selection was perfect then maddy should had been their first single
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »

^ I understand what your trying to say here... but Axl was trying to prove the new band.. why not play the new stuff? All those songs (cept maybe the 2nd one) are totally kick ass. It just blows me away that Axl came back and played like only AFD songs during '01 and '02. Maybe 1 old song and 2 new songs would have been better. Who knows?

Your right in saying that if Axl had followed through this wouldn't be a big deal (what he played at the VMAs) but since he didn't.. and we have nothing to talk about.. haha. You get the point.

gnrevolution.com
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »

Although the group onstage was excellent playing wise when I heard the opening riff to jungle then saw the people onstage it felt so fucking weird.. I mean if you grew up with afd then see gnr make a "comeback" you almost have the vision in your head of what it should be.. Like that should be slash doing that opening riff... I enjoyed the show it just wasn't gnr to me even if others felt it was..

Mike, Like yourself and many others on this site I have been a serious hardcore guns fans since 1986. So obviously I have seen the band through every stage of their careers. I was seriously excited about the vma's and the live performances in 02 which I was fortunate enough to see two gigs then. Its about evolving! Guns have done that and Axl still demands the attention of every one he is playing too with his unique on stage prescense! Mike

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 02:38:55 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks that if they played the same version of Oh My God they did at rio (but didnt fuck up on the last verse) they woulda got some great reviews? I freaking love the new way they play that song..

Oh My God = The synth opener they used in rock in rio may not be as memorable as the intro to jungle.. but its still a very cool intro with the drums and all... very good rocker all around (let me stress that im not talking about Oh My God studio..)

Chinese Democracy = As soon as Axl finished Oh My God they shoulda busted out into this song.. Axl could have said something like "this is chinese democracy"...

Madagascar = for the "epic" new song... so people still knew axl was "deep" ect.

thats what the songs shoulda been. all new.
I totally agree with what you say...... But done is done. hopefully, next time...
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 02:41:19 PM »

if they pulled it off it was a great idea.  it was the highlights of the live show.  open with jungle then madascar to highlight the new stuff and close with paradise.  it's the best way to fit in the most in such a small period of time.  Axl wanted to give the most to his fans that did not see him in years.  How do you go up there and pick just one old song.  Or one new one.  Anyone who saw them live knows that he sounds way better than that.  Also, even with the issues... it was still really fuckin cool and they fuckin rocked the place harder than anyone else in years.  It was intense and who gives a fuck about the sound issues.  Axl was a mad man running around giving everything he had into it.  Also, he's not a fuckin pussy.  He may be a recluse but maybe its just that he's not a media/attention whore.  He has no problem putting on a great show and his voice is as good as its ever been.  At least it was on all the bootlegs I saw and at HOB when I was there.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 08:22:26 PM »

^ I understand what your trying to say here... but Axl was trying to prove the new band.. why not play the new stuff? All those songs (cept maybe the 2nd one) are totally kick ass. It just blows me away that Axl came back and played like only AFD songs during '01 and '02. Maybe 1 old song and 2 new songs would have been better. Who knows?

Your right in saying that if Axl had followed through this wouldn't be a big deal (what he played at the VMAs) but since he didn't.. and we have nothing to talk about.. haha. You get the point.

then again why introduce three newer songs or completly new songs if you weren't going to do anything more then a very short tour and not release the album.. FOr me personally it was great to hear the two classic gnr tunes everyone knows being it was a comeback.. The crowd was so excited because they knew the tunes as was I... Everyone feels different.... I was still trying to take them in as gnr ..
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: