Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why does Axl own NYC?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does Axl own NYC?  (Read 7641 times)
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 06:57:50 PM »

That line came from a black dude who said this very line directly to Axl upon his arrival in Los Angeles.

Axl: I slept one night in a schoolyard in Queens with a big fence around it. This black guy came up to me and said, 'You know where you are? You are in the jungle! You gonna die! 'So we put it in [the] song.

http://gnrinfo.tk/

Queens is in LA?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 06:59:35 PM »

Oh...well then I stand corrected.

well well Our rappers kick the shit out of your rappers!

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 06:59:40 PM »

That line came from a black dude who said this very line directly to Axl upon his arrival in Los Angeles.

Axl: I slept one night in a schoolyard in Queens with a big fence around it. This black guy came up to me and said, 'You know where you are? You are in the jungle! You gonna die! 'So we put it in [the] song.

http://gnrinfo.tk/

Queens is in LA?

Thank you.....enough said...

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 07:00:32 PM »

Oh...well then I stand corrected.

well well Our rappers kick the shit out of your rappers!

hahaha.......well, we're even dude....

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 07:01:02 PM »

Both cities are dangerous, so what?  Both cities also have nice parts.

Jungle is about LA, but the main title/line was given to him by a homeless dude.  He should get some royalties.  Grin
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 07:04:44 PM »

Both cities are dangerous, so what?? Both cities also have nice parts.

Jungle is about LA, but the main title/line was given to him by a homeless dude.? He should get some royalties.? Grin

Yeah, and D.C might be worse then both cities....but like I said, there are rough area's all over the country.....and yes, NY has a ton of very cool and attractive places as well....

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »

I love going back to NY and seeing family. NY is a great place, awesome sights to see, and my mobness loves Little Italy. Awesome Chinese food there too.

...but we have far better bud.

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »

I love going back to NY and seeing family. NY is a great place, awesome sights to see, and my mobness loves Little Italy. Awesome Chinese food there too.

...but we have far better bud.

Yeah, you and Colorado.....even though I haven't done that shit in over a year.....

horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 07:27:53 PM »

ny is alot of fun.and i loved taken the train from philly there.it was such an adventure.the concert just rocked makin it all the much better !

the one an only horsey !
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 07:39:39 PM »

Oh no, an East Coat/West Coast war emerging now! 

Hahaha, I have never been to LA but I do hail from Queens originally and certain areas can be quite the "Jungle" so I can totally see that happening to Axl there.

I am sure the homeless dude is quite dead by now, suffering the elements, alcoholism, or drug abuse so I doubt he wants to collect royalties for his GNR input. Grin

jaypayton
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 07:43:48 PM »

one reason used ot be in the 80s because NYC had great drugs......and the boys indulged in that A LOT...GNR roots go deep to NYC..that big october 1987 weeks worth of shows they did i NYC were classic....
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »

Nothing compares? to new york .? ? Everything about it? is real .? ?Unlike the posers in L.A.

I've been to L.A many times? it doesn't hold a candle to this city .

? ?GO YANKEES? ?BRONX BOMBERS !!!!!

btw    rap   was born in NYC .    That is something I am ashamed  as a new yorker .  I hate fuckin rap
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 08:33:05 PM by SWINGTRADER » Logged
Chief
Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 08:44:10 PM »

NYC crowds do rule.. it was pretty crazy in May but i must say, more than any other Vegas crowd, the HOB new years show was just NUTS. i got pushed around so much and the electricity in the air was undeniable.  8 years wait will do that to someone!!!!

I was at the MSG 2002 show, and May 2006 shows (the first and second shows)...Axl Rose owns New York City. Guns n' Roses are absolutely HUGE -  G I G A N T I C   in NYC.......That winter night in 2002, this city was electric. I'm not exaggerating or glorifying anything............almost everyone knew Guns were in the city that night. The snow just made it all magical. But the Garden was electric that night......And, 2006 was just a MAJOR love-fest....it was HOMECOMING.

Not to mention it was practically blizzarding that night in 2002.  Took me forever to get into the city for that show but there was NO WAY in hell I was missing it and the crowd was WILD.

The only shows I have seen outside the NY area have been the two Vegas shows that just happened and the crowd was not wild at all.  I have no idea how people act outside NYC besides that but what I can say is that the energy at a NY show is just amazing.

The Hammerstein crowds were insane!  I have never felt more tension and excitement inside a building. 

You aren't glorifying at all.  It was real.  I was there and I felt it too!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »

im from nyc...so i think i know the answer...but i dont want to influence any of your thoughts....so im wondering:

With Guns being an LA band, you would think GnR would own CA. Maybe they do, I dont know. But what I do know is this:

I was at the MSG 2002 show, and May 2006 shows (the first and second shows)...Axl Rose owns New York City. Guns n' Roses are absolutely HUGE -? G I G A N T I C? ?in NYC.......That winter night in 2002, this city was electric. I'm not exaggerating or glorifying anything............almost everyone knew Guns were in the city that night. The snow just made it all magical. But the Garden was electric that night......And, 2006 was just a MAJOR love-fest....it was HOMECOMING.

We love Axl. Why? This is NYC, its hard to impress this city. Its always - "What have u done for me lately?" - look at ARod this summer. Check Patrick Ewing back in the 90s. This city loves AND hates. But not Axl, he gets a total, all-access pass in NYC, he knows it, the band knows it, we know it, the press knows it, radio and television know AND print it. The band plays and performs better as well....Robin stage-diving in May, that opening night, was amazing...Im not sure anyone hit any sour notes...seriously, it was perfect.

So why here? Why not LA? Axl wasn't born here, the band is not from here. Why New York City?? Why is Axl SOOOO connected to this place, and why are we so connected to him?? Axl and this band owns this city, maybe NOW more then ever.

Great points!
HOwever, GNR is not really an LA band. Except for Steven Adler, none of the members were originally from California. Yes, they came up in California, but their spirit came from other places, including NYC & its punk scene. I think that over time, the music & the spirit caught on more with the people of NYC since it was already here. I also believe & I read that Axl is looking to live in NYC, because he has fallen in love with our "Work Hard - Play Harder" lifestyle. The California lifestyle, I believe, was unhealthy for a guy like Axl Rose & it may have also been unhealthy for other celebrities, particularly couples. Its more possible to be social & live among humans in apartment buildings than on mountains with million dollar security systems. "WTTJ" don;t forget, was written about something that was said to Axl on a freeway in NYC while trekking cross country in the early 1980s.

If you look back on shows like Ritz 1991, Axl says that "New Yorkers don;t take GNR for granted & it makes them feel special, & that they like being a part of the NYC thing." NYC has MTV, media outlets, fashion & other means by which Axl & his new band will be promoting themselves, so they will be here on business (& pleasure) one way or another.

These days, NYC is booming & has proven resilient through 9/11, much like Axl Rose who has proven resilient besides the odds against him. Even I had my doubts on both coming back, but NYC & AXL are back & there's no better match.
I also believe that NYC had a lot to do with the re-imaging of Axl after his failed "Baggy Jersey" phase.

If LA defined "AFD" & Indiana defined "UYI", NYC will define "CD"
MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 10:28:53 PM »

I drove an hour through the 2002 Blizzard to make the show as well - Incredible show

Hammerstein (15th) was great as well

NYC type of guy - unpredictable , cocky, bad-ass, fucking nuts - what else is there to say?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »

"If LA defined "AFD" & Indiana defined "UYI", NYC will define "CD""

Explain this. This makes no sense. Well, the first part does at least. How did Indiana define the Illusions? And from what we hear from Chinese D, is that the music sounds like it has taken inspiration from a lot of different things. Man no way CD is that simple. Listen to how complex a song like TWAT and Madagascar is. Hearing the demos and shit, how does NY define them?

I love my family from NY. So I can tell you this. People from NY always thinks life begins and ends there. That trends start there, and that NYC will define something as layered and textured as Chinese Democracy. NY is awesome but dude, come on.

BigDeech
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure Richard still lives in NYC. Maybe he very recently moved though. I know where he lived in NYC (Lower East Side), I am friends with his neighbor and he said CD will defenitely be out this year back in April when they spoke. Not earth shattering info right there since he could have been wrong too, but cool anyway.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »

He must have moved after the euro tour. Axl once said richard was moving on the tour and now he says he's a Californian.

On topic, it has something to do with the location?
topographic speaking,  NY has much easer access to Europe than LA.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »

He must have moved after the euro tour. Axl once said richard was moving on the tour and now he says he's a Californian.

On topic, it has something to do with the location?
topographic speaking,? NY has much easer access to Europe than LA.

So true, I can get to London in about the same time it would take me to get to LA and frankly, I would rather go to London peace
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 05:19:53 PM »

yeah bandita. and I guess NY culture shows more european influence than LAs does.
I hear GNR had its first big break in the uk.  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: