Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:12:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227890 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 261825 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:26 AM »

Say, wasn't Robin partly responsible for Bucket leaving, because the two didn't get along well? I remember reading that somewhere...

Your opinion doesn't mean a whole lot around here, so its not a big loss that you don't think that way.

No, only your opinion matters, Enlightened One.

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2009, 04:43:28 AM »

The funny thing to me is that most who dislike Robin seems like in need to come here and say how bad he is. And it's always the same shit, as he wasn't responsable for a single bit besides Better. Really, that's lame.

Robin has been in 2 of the best bands of the past 20 years. He has written some kickass songs with Guns and on his own (Ghost of Mars soundtrack anyone?).

He wrote the music for 1 GNR song.  That's it.

He wrote 0 songs in NIN.
Again: so we can now discredit Slash for ANYTHING he has done without his name on credits, like November Rain and Estranged?

I know it is awesome that in 2009, i can watch my favorite band without cringing during the guitar solos and that is an amazing thing.

(...)

in GNR, I give him Better which is a good song but solos on SOD which is a good solo, bad solo on TIL and what other big time contributions do u have on that album?
Seems like you missed Ashba's performance on This I love and SOD (or how one can keep missing tone in bends).

Funny is that you keep using your opinion as a fact. Even in another topics.

Say, wasn't Robin partly responsible for Bucket leaving, because the two didn't get along well? I remember reading that somewhere...
I don't think this was more than just a rumor. I know there was people saying the two didn't get along, but this never was mentioned as a reason for Bucket to leave.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2009, 04:57:32 AM »

The more guitarists that Guns employ, the more the arguements will continue by the looks of it.   hihi

nobody seems to mention the importance of Chemistry.  That can be seen on Appetite even though they  may not have been the most techincal players or graduated from music university.

i also thought that Richard, Robin and BH had a chemistry going for awhile and hopefully the new guitarists will gain that also.

Once you got a chemistry going, the players will complement each other more.  Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2009, 05:19:45 AM »

I know it is awesome that in 2009, i can watch my favorite band without cringing during the guitar solos and that is an amazing thing.

(...)

in GNR, I give him Better which is a good song but solos on SOD which is a good solo, bad solo on TIL and what other big time contributions do u have on that album?
Seems like you missed Ashba's performance on This I love and SOD (or how one can keep missing tone in bends).

Funny is that you keep using your opinion as a fact. Even in another topics.

You keep comparing Ashba to Robin, but the fact is that Ashba is playing his first tour with Guns and the videos you quote are from his first ever live performance. Robin's playing style hasn't more or less changed in all the years he was in Guns. I don't think it's quite a valid comparison that, at least not yet.

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2009, 05:31:06 AM »

No, I was talking about the Tokyo video of This I Love, I'm not even talking about screwing up the whole solo (as he did in Taipei), but Ashba being unable to bend a note properly.

And I really didn't want to compare, but it is indeed weird how being sloppy is so bad in Robin while Ashba is being considered as the best thing ever.

Honestly, I think this is more about image and attitude than guitar playing. For what I've been listening, Ron Thal is the true key guitar element in the band right now and people keep ignoring him. Maybe if he looked as cool as Ashba...

The more guitarists that Guns employ, the more the arguements will continue by the looks of it.   hihi

nobody seems to mention the importance of Chemistry.  That can be seen on Appetite even though they  may not have been the most techincal players or graduated from music university.

i also thought that Richard, Robin and BH had a chemistry going for awhile and hopefully the new guitarists will gain that also.

Once you got a chemistry going, the players will complement each other more.  Smiley
I agree 100%.

Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2009, 06:59:04 AM »

Honestly, I think this is more about image and attitude than guitar playing.
It has always been that way in the GnR fantasy world, where bending out of tune (or not doing it at all), playing slow and doing drugs are the reasons to point someone as the best GnR guitarist.

For what I've been listening, Ron Thal is the true key guitar element in the band right now and people keep ignoring him. Maybe if he looked as cool as Ashba...
No, he ain't doing Bucket's and Slash's solos justice - he ain't playin' most of them note for note - therefore he sucks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:00:41 AM by Bruno Poeys » Logged

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2009, 07:45:37 AM »

It has always been that way in the GnR fantasy world, where bending out of tune (or not doing it at all), playing slow and doing drugs are the reasons to point someone as the best GnR guitarist.

Take it you're not a fan of DJ, Slash or Izzy then.  But seriously, Slash and Izzy deserve a bit more credit than "playing slow and doing drugs".
if people rated musicians on drug problems, im sure Motley Crue would be a lot bigger.
Slash and Izzy are not known as one of the greatest guitar duo's ever for their drug problems.  Their styles complemented each other more than people realise.
And i don't think anyone thinks DJ is the greatest GNR guitar player ever, but give the dude a chance, he's only played 4 shows.

i think Bucket and Ron are awesome players but they don't get the recognition cos they've yet to feature on a mega hit album.  maybe the tour will change that?

he ain't playin' most of them note for note - therefore he sucks.

i think its important to mention that Slash also didn't play his own solo's note for note.  He made frequent changes on PC, November Rain, Its so Easy, Nightrain and even SCOM over the years.  its difficult to play faster solo's note for note every night.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2009, 07:59:16 AM »

i think Bucket and Ron are awesome players but they don't get the recognition cos they've yet to feature on a mega hit album.  maybe the tour will change that?
Again, the image thing could mess this up. But I don't think they really need to be superstars to have some respect from fans who do know their work - yes, I'm talking about people from this board.

i think its important to mention that Slash also didn't play his own solo's note for note.  He made frequent changes on PC, November Rain, Its so Easy, Nightrain and even SCOM over the years.  its difficult to play faster solo's note for note every night.

He did. But when Robin did the same, it was "messing up". nervous

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »

Again, the image thing could mess this up. But I don't think they really need to be superstars to have some respect from fans who do know their work - yes, I'm talking about people from this board.

i havent seen too much hate on Bucket or Ron but i agree with your point.  i think they're both extremely good players and probably deserve more credit than they get.  Will be interesting to hear Ron on the next album (fingers crossed) and see how creative he can be and what he can add to an album.  I think most of CD was ready to go when he came onboard.

He did. But when Robin did the same, it was "messing up".

As someone mentioned earlier, i think its a love/hate thing with Robin on this board.  and Slash.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »

As someone mentioned earlier, i think its a love/hate thing with Robin on this board.  and Slash.

I personally think the only reason people hate on Robin is because he replaced Slash. The guy came in and put his heart and soul into the band and each one of his performances. He played the songs with his own unique style and people hate on him because he isn't slash or isn't trying to be him.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »

He did. But when Robin did the same, it was "messing up". nervous

Voodoo, it wasn't the different notes so much, but it was that he was flat out of pitch so much.  A band bend just is an awful sound on your ears.  Playing on such a huge stage though where everything is so loud, it is very easy to get lost and not be able to hear your pitch just perfect, but that was my biggest gripe.
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »

I like Robin, but he left just like Slash,Bucket,izzy so out with the old and in with the new. I think D.J makes a perfect fit in the band and brings a great image and personality. he can work a crowed better than robin, and thats important.

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2009, 11:53:29 AM »

The thing I think with Robin's playing is either you like it or you don't. I can't imagine how anybody would like the TIL solo, while there are people here who can't imagine how I couldn't but like the solo. However, I don't think there is any doubt about his playing style. It isn't just some phenomenon a few people can hear. He does play a bit sloppy at times and bend notes a bit weirdly, but again, you either find it annoying or you don't care. A lot of people say that the dislike towards Robin is because he 'replaced' Slash or simply because he doesn't play all of Slash's solos 'note by note'. I don't think that's true either. I certainly prefer Buckethead's Nightrain outro or his version of PC or some of Ron's work to the original versions laid down by Slash because I think those guitarists improve those solos a lot.

If you don't like Robin's solos, then those aren't any improvement over the originals and I'd rather hear them played note by note.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »

if my opinion and honesty offends u, perhaps u should stop reading?
if the holocaust bothers me, then I should ignore and not acknowledge it?

u are comparing my dislike of Robin Finck to the holocaust.......... dude, what the fuck

anyhow, I don't dislike RObin because I am a slash fan

that has absolutely nothing to do with it, if that were the case, I'd also hate Bucket,richard,Ron,DJ

My dislike of his guitar playing comes only from me just not liking his style of play..His style works well in a live setting for NIN. that style suits his playing.. but the melodic.bluesy GNR stuff doesn't IMO.

my problem is someone changing and adding their own thing to amazing iconic solos... it would be like Scott in VR at the time changing Mr Brownstone or Its So Easy or Patience's lyrics.. u don't do it

I know to most people, guitar playing isn't that big a deal but for me, guitar solos are just as important as lyrics and vocal melodies.

changing that, changes the entire song.

most people are lyric/vocal listeners, i am not accusing anybody here of doing that, but that is just the truth

i love guitar playing,riffs, solos etc as much as vocals/melodies etc

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:02:37 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »

if my opinion and honesty offends u, perhaps u should stop reading?
if the holocaust bothers me, then I should ignore and not acknowledge it?

u are comparing my dislike of Robin Finck to the holocaust.......... dude, what the fuck
nah man, absolutely not.. I was pointing out how what you said was wrong
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »

Robin is Awesome

$la$h $ucks! 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »

my problem is someone changing and adding their own thing to amazing iconic solos...
Stop reading here. If you see a problem with this, you must really think this is just a bunch of hired guns.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2009, 05:05:56 PM »

Robin is Awesome

$la$h $ucks! 

i like how u add the $ sign to Slash and its just retarded

if Slash were all about money, he'd never left GNR in the first place, he would've done whatever to stay in the band cause that was his ticket to making the most money

Robin chases the money... joins GNR, gets paid, then quits and goes to NIN to get paid, then once NIN are finished he comes back to GNR to get paid.. then when it seems GNR aren't doing anything he jumps back to NIN to get paid.

So maybe u should look a bit deeper into what u are saying.

its just bullshit.... I am a sellout so lets quit the biggest band in the world and form Snakepit............ cause everybody knows Snakepit will make way more money than GNR  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »

my problem is someone changing and adding their own thing to amazing iconic solos...
Stop reading here. If you see a problem with this, you must really think this is just a bunch of hired guns.

Don't have a problem if u ADD to the solo a la bucket in nightrain, PC

SCOM, NR are so melodic and iconic, u can't hit busted notes/bends or add stuff to it.. u can get away with that during fast/shredding solos but when the melody is something u can sing with, u don't do it cause it kills the vibe of the entire thing.

Jim Bob, I am tired of arguing with u... how Slash can suck even though he wrote the greatest riffs, solos in GNR just blows my mind.. u do realize there would be no jungle,scom,PC, etc without him right?

without Robin u wouldn't have Better... do we need to put those on the balance beams............ really?

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »

Robin is Awesome

$la$h $ucks! 

Hey Jim Bob, can you post the link to that "Greatest Live Solo Eva" thingy you posted some time back?
We all just want to laugh at it again. Thanks in advance.

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: