Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 261695 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2009, 03:16:12 AM »

Robin is Awesome

$la$h $ucks! 

Great input there Jim bob, way to add to the debate!  ok

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:21:58 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2009, 04:35:43 AM »

I don't think this kind of discussion will lead us to anywhere.

Don't have a problem if u ADD to the solo a la bucket in nightrain, PC

SCOM, NR are so melodic and iconic, u can't hit busted notes/bends or add stuff to it.. u can get away with that during fast/shredding solos but when the melody is something u can sing with, u don't do it cause it kills the vibe of the entire thing.
Sure you can. It's not like Robin made those solos unrecognizable.

Again, seems to me that all you want in this band is someone who can play note for note the AFD.

I'm being honest here... If DJ did the same with TIL or SOD solo, I wouldnt complain.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2009, 05:25:42 AM »

i edited my last post now to try and avoid provocatation  Smiley  Some people seem to ruin a bunch of interesting threads with provocative comments.

I don't think GNR have ever had a bad guitar player.  Some aren't as good as others but none were ever bad players

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2009, 05:59:22 AM »

Don't have a problem if u ADD to the solo a la bucket in nightrain, PC

SCOM, NR are so melodic and iconic, u can't hit busted notes/bends or add stuff to it.. u can get away with that during fast/shredding solos but when the melody is something u can sing with, u don't do it cause it kills the vibe of the entire thing.
Sure you can. It's not like Robin made those solos unrecognizable.

Again, seems to me that all you want in this band is someone who can play note for note the AFD.

I'm being honest here... If DJ did the same with TIL or SOD solo, I wouldnt complain.

i want someone in the band who can produce the same quality ive grown accustom to over the years. Robin is an average guitar player for a band like GNR. Richard does great justice to the old stuff, so does bumble and DJ, Bucket as well.. once again, it isn't like im saying "i want Slash, he sucks"  If your ears think he is awesome, hey, im not trying to change your mind, all the best to u and your opinion, for me, it was hard hearing some of the boots from shows with him on those solos.

Hell even Axl said in a RS interview how with Robin gone, they could take the material further..... so what does that tell u?

My lead guitarist in GNR needs to be a Batman, not a Robin.. Robin was the 6th best of the new guys

1.bucket
2.Paul most songwriting credits of any guitarist on album
3.bumble
4.DJ
5.Richard
6.Robin

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:02:32 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »

Robin doesn't do justice to the old songs? I like the way he played most of the old solos. He wasn't trying to play Slash's solos note for note and that's where a guitarist shows some of his talent. Ex.: everytime he played Sweet Child he played a really nice riff on each chorus that sounded much better than the AFD version. Even you, D, could play Slash's stuff probably. It doesn't make you better than Robin or Ron. I mentioned Ron because he doesn't play most of the old stuff like Slash. If Richard and Ashba are top players for you because they can play Slash's and Izzy's stuff almost note for note you should watch those YouTube vids and forget Guns N' Roses. That's where they cover the old Guns stuff. Lots of YouTube guitarists can nail Slash's stuff and most of them are average players at best. Richard does the old songs justice and he ain't playin' much on CD, is he? Robin doesn't do the old songs justice and he plays on every CD song. For most Ron didn't do old Guns songs justice and yet he plays on every CD song. That's where I call a guitarist creative - when they don't want to sound like someone else and add their own style to the songs they're being themselves, being creative and that's probably why Axl wanted them. Again, Axl probably wanted musicians, not cover guitarists. Hell even Richard could play most - if not all - of Bucket's stuff in Guns but Ron's a complete musician and that's what GnR is about - musicians, not cover guitarists, drummer, bassist, etc.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »

U can't change what is already perfect. That is my point.

it would be like someone repainting the Mona Lisa and giving her bigger tits or a prettier dress.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:22 AM »

Even you, D, could play Slash's stuff probably.

I dont know where this idea comes from that Slash's stuff is easy to play.  ive been playing guitar for years (granted i stopped practising much due to work etc) and i can't play a lot of Slash's stuff.

The outro's in nightrain, PC, November rain are all challenging.  Especially some of the solo's on UYI like Dont damn me, perfect crime, the Garden.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2009, 07:49:26 AM »

^ The point is: it's not about being able to play note per note, there's tons of guys who could pull that off on YouTube and cover bands.

Hell even Axl said in a RS interview how with Robin gone, they could take the material further..... so what does that tell u?
Axl said the same about Buckethead.

My lead guitarist in GNR needs to be a Batman, not a Robin.. Robin was the 6th best of the new guys

1.bucket
2.Paul most songwriting credits of any guitarist on album
3.bumble
4.DJ
5.Richard
6.Robin

For a guy who puts songwriting credits in such a high level, why would DJ be above Richard?

Anyways, it's all opinions, fine. But one thing is for sure: as much as some of you dislike Robin, he'll still be at the next album(s). And still proving how what matters most is his unique guitar playing rather than technical skills to reproduce 20 years old material without making it fresh again.

Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »

U can't change what is already perfect. That is my point.

it would be like someone repainting the Mona Lisa and giving her bigger tits or a prettier dress.
You think it's perfect? Good for you. Imo it is far, far from perfect and these guys made some of the solos much, much better. Ron's Nightrain solo is insane, Robin's Sweet Child lead is great, etc.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »

Axl said the same about Buckethead.
it's always like that, in sports are the best examples, when Ibrahimovic played for Inter, coach Mourinho said "Ibra is the best player in the world", when Barcelona bought Ibra and sold Eto'o to Inter, the coach immediately changed and said that Eto'o was even better than Zlatan
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

So, to sum up the thread, since Robin isn't doing anything, there isn't anything to discuss except the fact that some like his playing and his solos and some don't. The End.
Did I miss anything?

Fuck 'Em All.
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »

I thought it was pretty poor form of Robin not to say anything to thank the GNR fans for their support after he left.

Besides that, as much as I enjoyed seeing and hearing him in the band, I'd be lying if I said I missed him.

And there goes the challenger...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »

Jim Bob, I am tired of arguing with u...

ok then don't.. i prefer not to argue with $la$h fanboys.

on topic, looking forward to seeing what Robin does next.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »

on topic, looking forward to seeing what Robin does next.

just you then, and one or two other Robin fanboys  hihi

So, to sum up the thread, since Robin isn't doing anything, there isn't anything to discuss except the fact that some like his playing and his solos and some don't. The End.
Did I miss anything?

You got it right Genesis.  looks like this thread is divided by opinion and i wont ever try to get someone to change their opinion.
Unless their opinion is ridiculous lol!

i also think that some people on this board REALLY underestimate the importance of writing.  Slash wrote some awesome riffs and solo's and had very good writing credits within the band.  and he was enegetic on stage.  Id take that over someone who looks cool and can play well but cant write for shit.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:33:08 PM by jacdaniel » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »

Again, that doesn't take us anywhere.

i also think that some people on this board REALLY underestimate the importance of writing.  Slash wrote some awesome riffs and solo's and had very good writing credits within the band.  and he was enegetic on stage.  Id take that over someone who looks cool and can play well but cant write for shit.
Indeed. But you agree that when you write a solo or guitar work and it doesn't appear on the writing credits, it's still writing, correct?

Henson
Headliner

Need to see a revival tonight...

« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

One of the things I like most about Robin was his stage presence.  I think everyone has to agree that the man gave it all on stage
between sprinting all over the place and then randomly trying to swift kick everyone else in the head when he got over excited.
I thought he was the most recognizable member on stage, besides Axl of course.

I also thought (My opinion, perhaps not the Absolute Truth) his playing was fantastic in the three shows I attended in 06.

Also, Robin did speak out many times to the fanbase. I clearly remember his apology for not being able to make it to the Cape when
no one else gave any information or words.

I believe all Robin hate is derived from not being able to grow such a fantastic beard as he once did, damn, what a beard.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »

well you seem to care because you are posting in a Robin thread.  Huh

i also think that some people on this board REALLY underestimate the importance of writing. 
and some people put too much emphasis on writing.  Its just a part of the package.

Slash wrote some awesome riffs and solo's and had very good writing credits within the band. 
Then go start a thread to talk about that fucking guy. 
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »

Well, in that case, you must lurve Slash, since you post in all the threads about him.
Just admit it, VR is your favourite band rite?

Fuck 'Em All.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

Well, in that case, you must lurve Slash, since you post in all the threads about him.
Just admit it, VR is your favourite band rite?
dawg, if you think JB is acting like a jerk or whudevah in slash threads, why act like him in the robin thread?
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2009, 04:16:38 AM »

dawg, if you think JB is acting like a jerk or whudevah in slash threads, why act like him in the robin thread?

its just funny how he spends so much of his time in the slash threads and then he has the nerve to question why others are in a Robin thread. And on top of that, the guy never adds a single bit of decent input into a debate.  This is as far as it goes "$lash sucks". 

Indeed. But you agree that when you write a solo or guitar work and it doesn't appear on the writing credits, it's still writing, correct?

yeah it is still writing and deserves credit

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: