Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:01:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 261692 times)
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2010, 09:41:52 PM »

Does anybody else think that Robins solos before Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City in 2002 and 2006/2007, were amazing.  love

I have no idea how he came up with them, but they stick in your head like a bullet. I remember watching Rock AM Ring, and after the whole show, I had Robins solo before Paradise City in my head for a week.

He's all over the fretboard when he plays them, so I have no idea how he remembers. But they stick in your head like glue, brilliant guitarist.  ok

Love those. That bootleg from Universal Amphitheater in December of 06 has my favorite ever on it. He and Frank play this BAD ASS blues instrumental before SCoM and it's just awesome.

Yes, Robin only started to do those long solos with Dizzy and Frank playing with him, at the start of the North American tour in 2006. One of the first good bootlegs we had from that tour was New Jersey, and I remember everybody drooling over how good Robins solo was.  Smiley
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2010, 02:29:57 PM »

IMO, his best solo spot ever was on Tokyo 2007. The Inland Invasion one was pretty cool too and it was the first time people saw Robin kinda shredding, lol. Cheesy

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #262 on: May 04, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »

Yes, his Inland Invasion solo was spectacular.

I loved the delay effect he used, and if you listen carefully when he's using it. It sounds like the vocal melody to Sweet Child O' Mine.  Cool
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #263 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »

Really? I don't really relate to SCOM on that one...

I do love the delay/envelope filter he used. I always wonder if he wanted to use some of those effects in the new songs.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #264 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »

Yes, it may be the way I hear it, but I can definately hear it if I try. Just as he starts the delay effect, you can just about hear the melody to the verse of Sweet Child, the vocals. Someone mentioned it on the forums at the time, and that's what made me hear it.

As I said, it may be just how I interpret it, but it's an amazing solo.

I love them long solos he did, during the NA tour in 06, and the Asia, Mexico and Australian tours in 07. He looked like he was having a blast, and he always smiled during them.  Smiley
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2010, 01:28:46 PM »

Yeah, after a while, I finally found the YouTube video of the Inland Invasion (the person didn't put a logical keyword on that):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlY7EKlfcdg&feature=related

Yeah, the first part really reminds me a lot of the SCOM vocal melody. Then it suddenly things went crazy. Smiley

And, for those wondering about the New Jersey video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEBO0450OKk&feature=related

Damn, that really makes me miss him so much. Sad

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #266 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »

Haha, lol at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0oAf_1FMs&feature=related

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #267 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

I can totally hear the vocal melody to SCOM from that! thanks for posting the one from inland invasion, don't think i've seen it for years, reguarly watches the one from new jersey to get my finck fix Smiley

I miss him as well
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2010, 02:10:51 PM »

Haha, I'm glad it wasn't just me who could hear it.  Wink

And yes, both those solos are amazing.  love
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »

I came across this interview where a band called Oceansize, explain how they got Robins artwork on their album called Frames. I had no idea about this until I came across this interview, it is dated from 2007.

I'll just post the Robin/GN'R references but I'll provide the link to the interview below.

PB : How did you get Robin Finck (former Nine Inch Nails and current Guns N? Roses guitarist-Ed) onboard to do the artwork for 'Frames' ?

Gambler : He?s a hero of mine. We saw his art; it is pretty ambiguous and amazing stuff so just asked him if could we use some of his stuff.

PB : Did you meet him?

Gambler : No, we e-mailed him and he was cool with it. I mean if you look at his work. You cannot quite tell what it is. I think our music is a lot like that.

PB : You didn?t by chance ask him when 'Chinese Democracy' was being released ?

Gambler : We thought about it. But judging by the FAQ section of his website entitled ?When will Chinese Democracy be released? we didn?t think it was appropriate.

http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSitePages/Article.aspx?id=4478

I believe this is the Artwork.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_atKrCdoiKZ4/Sq6xwxy9daI/AAAAAAAADnQ/n1IEW3OnHSs/s320/Oceansize+3.jpg

http://img12.nnm.ru/f/8/2/9/8/f8298e605d6fda436e623ade37766e8d_full.jpg

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:36:49 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »

Yeah, those def looks like something Robin-wan Kenobi would do. Smiley

I must confess, Im not a fan of his drawings, pics and even tweets. But I understand its just the way he is and thats part of his artsy life, which includes his guitar playing (totally wasted in NIN, I must say).

I mean, the guy has one of most unique approach on solos and guitar fills Ive ever seen, but with Trent all hes doing is some basic power chord riffs. IMO, hes there most because of his stage presence and crazyness.

Sorry for the little rant. Sad 

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #271 on: May 09, 2010, 08:31:20 PM »

I like his drawings and I also love his little poems and phrases, but I know this is subjective.

But I agree with you totally that his talents are not being fully exposed in NIN. I think GN'R was, and maybe only will be the best chance he had at demonstrating his talents to a wide range of people. In GN'R he had the chance to play in a way that he shined more than in NIN's. This is mainly because he was not just playing repetitive power chords. Also while in GN'R it was the first time anyone had heard him really rock a solo, and this became his hidden trademark.

But now he has gone back to NIN, he is not really going get a chance to solo, as I'm not aware of NIN's having any. This is a shame, as in my opinion he is one of the best soloists ever, and he seemed like he enjoyed it too.

I would love for Robin to release a solo album, like the kind of stuff that he did on 'Ghosts Of Mars'.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »

I just don't get the love.  Part of me wonders if he had a drug or drinking problem on the GNR tours.  He just sounds so sloppy and way out of pitch on many bends.  He has some cool ideas on some solos, if he would just work with a metronome, and his bends, he would be so much better.  He has a pretty weak picking hand it seems, his two hands don't seem to be on the same page, especially live.  In the studio he is a lot better, live, I just don't get the love. 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2010, 10:43:31 AM »

It wasnt that much different from what Ashba does in some bends now. The point is: of course Robin wasnt perfect note-by-note like Bumblefoot (Yes, Bucket always fucked up that November Rain bend, just like Richard in his last note of his solo on the same song). But Robin also delivered perfect bends - his performance was always fully charged with passion.

About his right hand, I just disagree. He always try to do some of this half-tempo things, but that doesnt make it wrong. I do understand his style (both visual and musical) may offend hard rock purists. That may explain why Robin had (and still have) such a hard time with fans while Ashba had a much warmer welcome and forgiving on mistakes.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »

It wasnt that much different from what Ashba does in some bends now. The point is: of course Robin wasnt perfect note-by-note like Bumblefoot (Yes, Bucket always fucked up that November Rain bend, just like Richard in his last note of his solo on the same song). But Robin also delivered perfect bends - his performance was always fully charged with passion.

About his right hand, I just disagree. He always try to do some of this half-tempo things, but that doesnt make it wrong. I do understand his style (both visual and musical) may offend hard rock purists. That may explain why Robin had (and still have) such a hard time with fans while Ashba had a much warmer welcome and forgiving on mistakes.

Voodoo, you are right that it seems Ashba gets away with a lot more it seems.  Fortus is more spot on live than DJ and Robin.  Robin's magic came in the studio most of the time.  He is very creative.  And SOME parts of SOME of his live solos ARE amazing.  All players make mistakes, especially live when it can often be hard to hear, but DJ and Robin make a lot more it seems than Ron, Richard, and Bucket.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »

True. But that doesn't make me like him any less. What does makes me dislike something is reppetitive patterns and licks, tho, and Robin didn't seem to suffer much of this.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »

That's what I find most annoying is people saying that Robin makes mistakes, who doesn't.  rant

I think what people seem to not realise, is that just because Robin don't aim to be a bluesy old school rock n roller. People tend think that he makes mistakes, when in reality he is just playing in his personal industrial tinged style.

That is why I loved him so much in GN'R because he never tried to copy any solo note for note.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »

These are some photos of Robin at Cirque du Neon, at the Museum of Neon Art from 2 weeks ago. Robin looks cool as usual, and it's nice to see some recent pics of him.

more can be found here.

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/robinfinckstuff/Cirque%20Du%20Neon/

There are also 2 videos of Robin performing with other musicians. He is mainly in the first video, in the second he appears towards the end.

Video 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUc7lMzCcg

Video 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGKZmXQJm4

love
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »

Thanks man. I dont think anyone there - not even the other musicians - knew how special Robin is. The song was really lame. Tongue

But oh well, nice to see Robin playing again. Smiley

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »

That was rather depressing to watch Sad

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33 Go Up Print