Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 261735 times)
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #440 on: December 03, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »

Didn't see a better quality video (I don't remember if a DVD ever surfaced), but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfYgscHydm8&feature=related

You're right, Robin was on fire there.

good times, I was there. this guy eclipsed Slash memories, that's something.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #441 on: December 03, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »

He doesnt need Trent to come out of his cave and play again. I wish he could do something more in the GNR line, like his solos on Ghosts of Mars OST.

I agree, I just think we may not see him in that kind of environment again without GN'R or even NIN. Robin isn't the sort of person to start a band from scratch, I only see him being in the spotlight again is if NIN starts up again. I hope I'm wrong and Robin just springs something on us we aren't expecting, but that how I see it realisticly.

I would prefer Robin work on solo material, like you suggested, Ghosts Of Mars type of stuff. I'd buy it instantly, I love his style.
He was about to do a guest spot with that dude from the 80's, so I have some hope to see him doing stuff other than NIN.

But it would be really awesome if he started a band from scratch. Just a hint: it could have Buckethead, Paul Tobias and Josh Freese with him. Wink

Didn't see a better quality video (I don't remember if a DVD ever surfaced), but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfYgscHydm8&feature=related

You're right, Robin was on fire there.
good times, I was there. this guy eclipsed Slash memories, that's something.
For sure, his SCOM was a true highlight of every show.

Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #442 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »

But it would be really awesome if he started a band from scratch. Just a hint: it could have Buckethead, Paul Tobias and Josh Freese with him. Wink

And maybe Les Claypool for bass guitar Smiley

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #443 on: December 03, 2010, 08:08:20 AM »

And maybe Les Claypool for bass guitar Smiley

Wow, that would probably cause a tornado or something.  Grin

Too much talent in the same room.  ok
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #444 on: December 03, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »

They could play Sossego with Robin singing. Grin

That was really funny to Brazilians. The guitar work was awesome, tho.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #445 on: December 03, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »

They could play Sossego with Robin singing. Grin

That was really funny to Brazilians. The guitar work was awesome, tho.

I really liked that too, I wish he continued to do these type of solos with him singing, throughout the rest of the tours. I was hoping he was going to do it when I saw GN'R on May 27th 2006 in lisbon, seeing how it is a Portuguesse speaking country, just like Brazil.

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #446 on: December 03, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »

I think he just thought he could go on tour with NIN and return to GNR after, but that obviously wasnt the case

Oh My God i cant deny this...
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2010, 12:34:35 PM »

His contract ran out(if we believe Azoff,)
and Robin might have become tired of waiting
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #448 on: December 03, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »

I think he just thought he could go on tour with NIN and return to GNR after, but that obviously wasnt the case

How can you think that?.  Tongue

I think when Robin commited to the NIN tour in 2008, he knew pretty much that his time in GN'R was over, he wasn't expecting to come back at all.

Do you really think he wanted to tour for 5 years nonstop, no. So he was planning on taking a long break after the NIN tour, which meant that even if GN'R never had DJ and wanted Robin back, he would have probably refused anyway.

His contract ran out(if we believe Azoff,)
and Robin might have become tired of waiting

Where did you read that?, I'm not aware of any such comment from Azoff.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #449 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »

Never knew about that either. But I don't think the band would issue an statement about Robin's "suddenly departure" if it was just about his contract.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #450 on: December 04, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »

Personally I think Robin toured with NIN knowing GNR was gonna stay idle.... Then Azoff started talking VH/GNR tour which forced DJ to replace Robin...

This seems very calculated by Azoff, and what I think in part Axl meant by Azoff trying to sabotage him...
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #451 on: December 04, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »

Personally I think Robin toured with NIN knowing GNR was gonna stay idle.... Then Azoff started talking VH/GNR tour which forced DJ to replace Robin...

This seems very calculated by Azoff, and what I think in part Axl meant by Azoff trying to sabotage him...

To be honest I do agree with you, I deep down believe Azoff had something to do with Robin and GN'R no longer being associated. Azoffs' intentions was to coax Axl into a reunion, so what better way than to get rid of a guitar player who represents everything about Chinese Democracy and that era/direction.

I didn't think it at first until somebody suggested it a couple of months ago, but looking at all of the facts. I do think that Azoff had alot to do with Robins departure.

So fuck you Azoff.  rant
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2010, 10:56:51 PM »

Honestly, I believe Robin was aware that something would happen - a tour or a couple of shows. But still, he decided to go on and continue playing with Trent regardless of what the GNR plans would be.

If Azoff didnt help in this case, at the same time I dont think it was his fault. But yeah, fuck him because he's a moron for the other stuff he did. Grin

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #453 on: December 04, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »

I guess we'll never know... But I think had GNR not been thinking about VH, Robin would have been available by the time they did end up touring
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #454 on: December 05, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »

I guess we'll never know... But I think had GNR not been thinking about VH, Robin would have been available by the time they did end up touring

Definitely agree, good point.  ok
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #455 on: December 10, 2010, 07:32:51 AM »

I was listening to his solo spot before Paradise City in the Boston soundboard (kinda as its mixed with audience recording) 2002 bootleg and noticed a really crispy... I mean, sharp tone in his guitar. I don't know, but I think he kinda ditched this sound in the 2006 tour - it was too damn sharp, almost sounding like overdistorted.

I dunno if it's a mix problem, though. His tone in Vegas 2001 was superb, I have absolutely no complaints.

Henson
Headliner

Need to see a revival tonight...

« Reply #456 on: December 10, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »

Cee Lo Green speaking on Robins playing on "The Lady Killer"

Robin is a tone freak! He brought his guitar tech, guitars, pedal board, a Fender twin, and Gallien-Krueger cab. He dialed in the tone he wanted (which was absolutely amazing), and I threw up a 57 and a 421 and let him go to town. Again, it starts with the player. I?m not going to tell Robin Finck shit! I?m going to let Robin be Robin! My job in these situations is of course to get great sounds, but really be able to manage the flow in the studio and capture the magic when it happens
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #457 on: December 10, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »

Cee Lo Green speaking on Robins playing on "The Lady Killer"

Robin is a tone freak! He brought his guitar tech, guitars, pedal board, a Fender twin, and Gallien-Krueger cab. He dialed in the tone he wanted (which was absolutely amazing), and I threw up a 57 and a 421 and let him go to town. Again, it starts with the player. I?m not going to tell Robin Finck shit! I?m going to let Robin be Robin! My job in these situations is of course to get great sounds, but really be able to manage the flow in the studio and capture the magic when it happens

Thanks for finding that, never knew about this.  ok

I was listening to his solo spot before Paradise City in the Boston soundboard (kinda as its mixed with audience recording) 2002 bootleg and noticed a really crispy... I mean, sharp tone in his guitar. I don't know, but I think he kinda ditched this sound in the 2006 tour - it was too damn sharp, almost sounding like overdistorted.

I dunno if it's a mix problem, though. His tone in Vegas 2001 was superb, I have absolutely no complaints.

Yes, I too feel Robins tone in 2006 was slightly less sharp than in 2002. Might be down to using different equipment, or a change in amp settings. I don't think you can beat Robins Les Paul tone, especially from 2002. It sounded so clear and crisp, I also loved Bucketheads tone on Sweet Child.

And just for the record, I also think Buckets Sweet Child interlude solos, are the best anyone's ever performed in GN'R, past or present.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #458 on: December 10, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »

Oh, IMO his tone was really awesome - and one of the most unique I've ever heard (of course, his style of playing has a lot to do with this).

I loved the 2006 tone like in the IRS intro. I wished the album version was more like it, that rocked so much.

I think his tone on This I Love is what sounded the most like his live stage sound - of course, really good and sharp as hell. hihi

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »

This an interview Robin did while with NIN, and I believe it is from early 2009. It's very interesting to hear his comment on GN'R, since to his credit, he chooses not to discuss GN'R at all in interviews.

Robin handles the interviewer brilliantly who is obviously fishing for a bad word about Axl. But Robin doesn't give the interviewer what he wants, he speaks about GN'R respectfully and even wishes them luck.  Smiley

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nine Inch Nails
Robin Finck is looking forward to playing on Nine Inch Nails' Australian tour. Just don't ask about his former boss.
By Andrew P Street

Last time Nine Inch Nails were here it seemed like the band were finished. Trent Reznor notoriously encouraged the Luna Park audience to pirate his records during an on-stage rant, much to the displeasure of his then-record company Universal, and the tour ended with him sacking the entire band.

"Oh, is that right?" laughs guitarist Robin Finck. He wasn't part of that line-up, but he has been in NIN more often than just about anyone, having toured with them on and off from the mid-90s and playing on last year's The Slip. That's not all: he toured with (and met his acrobat wife through) Cirque du Soleil, as guitarist for their show Quidam. He was also part of Guns n' Roses, co-writing and playing on much of Chinese Democracy ? although he's loathe to even mention the fact. He's sounding chipper about his current job, though.

"It's still exciting. I still get a charge from stepping into these songs and playing in front of these audiences and playing with the guys in the band," he begins. "We're just about to start making noise with these songs, the four of us. We're gonna flesh out these songs and see what we come up with. We're already excited about doing it - we've been talking about it, but we haven't gotten in the room and hammered them out."

Those who saw the band last time around should take note: this time around the band will be a lean, rockin', guitar-based quartet. "We're going out as a four piece, as opposed to five, and we're really gonna strip these songs down and build them back up in a way that's exciting and fresh and feels alive for the four of us."

Finck has enjoyed a remarkable ? arguably unique ? degree of creative input in his recent projects, considering he's been working with people regarded as highly idiosyncratic creative mavericks. "Oh sure. I'm fortunate to have been involved in the... teams that I've been playing with," he says, carefully. "I'm certainly grateful."

And he's worked with some people who are notoriously, shall we say, challenging to work with...

"Sure, they're terribly different people," he says hesitantly, accurately predicting where this line of questioning is headed. "Trent is really forthright with the vision, whether it's a song or the stage or the presentation or the concepts or the sound design, or just getting a song together ? but he also has an ear for others' input. And he always shows up and really has a love and a care for what he's doing with these songs and really with everything in Nine Inch Nails. And that's inspiring and refreshing, you know? We put in long hours when we're working on this stuff and it's very satisfying."

As opposed to, say, working with... certain other people?

"Look, I'm not really here to talk about the Guns n' Roses guys," he counters, with the sort of diplomacy one might use when discussing a notoriously litigious former employer who likes to start feuds at the drop of a hat. "I certainly wish them the best, though."

Alright, fine. So how does one go from being lead guitarist with a couple of the biggest rock bands on the planet to playing fiddly classical guitar for a circus?

"That was kind of a trip," he laughs. "I jumped two feet over the fence and I don't know where I landed - I landed in some crazy place. It was wonderful and it was very romantic and charming and I met some lifelong friends through that experience, and I married one of 'em. And it was quite an inspiration too, just to step away from the rock world, specifically the touring life of a rock band at that time for me in my life. Really, the music: that was all second to the lifestyle that I was seeking. I was looking for something to turn my world around, first and foremost, and playing music was really secondary."

Any desire to go back to something like that?

"I'm always open to things. I mean, right now I'm chest-deep in Nine Inch Nails - there's a lot for me to be excited about and to apply myself towards - but eventually I see myself singing my own record. But right now I'm leaning into Nine Inch Nails with everything I've got. And there's a lot to lean into."

Nine Inch Nails headline Soundwave at Eastern Creek Racecourse on Sun 22 Feb and play the Hordern Pavilion on Tue 24 Feb.

Wink

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: