Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Toronto Concert Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toronto Concert Discussion  (Read 13184 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »

thanks for the reviews

The Bras on guitars were cute - there was actually two I believe and one got passed around.

and that's Hammer1s?

so, not every throwing-stuff is a no no.  Grin
Lesley
Opening Act

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »

At the end of the song DJ had one of the bras and Axl said "DJ says his is bigger." Smiley
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

Another awesome show. Band are right on top of their game.

Big shout out to everyone I met, its been a blast. Sadly, now back to the UK for me.

GREG

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
Hammer1
Headliner

GNR Fan

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:32 PM »

thanks for the reviews

The Bras on guitars were cute - there was actually two I believe and one got passed around.

and that's Hammer1s?

so, not every throwing-stuff is a no no.  Grin

ha hahhah  it was hard not to when people beside me said do it,  hihi  I was right next to DJ's side of the stage it went over the security guards head and landed on the stage and sat there till Ron walked over and (poor sick guy) actually bent over checked it out and played a long solo with it on the neck... beer  I was freaking out and so was Bach, who was sitting infront of me and totally high fiving my son! awesome...  in 91" at the CNE  i was front row and threw a dozen roses up there and axl grabbed them.  i made sure no one was near.... Grin
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »

Anyone else mention that Axl came onstage in a wheelchair? lmao...at the start of Cd...he rolled to the end of the middle catwalk,spun around,rolled back to the drum riser, jumped out, ran back to the middle and tore into CD lol

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »

yep thank god it was a prank. altho from the sound of your post he would be able to run around the stage even in a wheelchair.

ha hahhah  it was hard not to when people beside me said do it,  hihi  I was right next to DJ's side of the stage it went over the security guards head and landed on the stage and sat there till Ron walked over and (poor sick guy) actually bent over checked it out and played a long solo with it on the neck... beer  I was freaking out and so was Bach, who was sitting infront of me and totally high fiving my son! awesome...  in 91" at the CNE  i was front row and threw a dozen roses up there and axl grabbed them.  i made sure no one was near.... Grin

nice shots!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:23:28 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »

Anyone else mention that Axl came onstage in a wheelchair? lmao...at the start of Cd...he rolled to the end of the middle catwalk,spun around,rolled back to the drum riser, jumped out, ran back to the middle and tore into CD lol

Axl doing his Willy Wonka impersonation.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Jude
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »

Hopefully we get video clip from this soon  Cool

watching the clips from this show and i gotta feeling that they are getting better and better on each night.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:22:21 PM by Jude » Logged

Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »

Hopefully we get video clip from this soon  Cool

watching the clips from this show and i gotta feeling that they are getting better and better on each night.
Lame-ass that I am, I missed the wheelchair bit. Hope somebody got it on video.  crying
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 12:50:41 PM »

Link: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/01/30/guns-n-roses-defy-logic-in-toronto-128/

...and, for those of you who don't want to click the link, here's the review....

When you go to a Guns N? Roses concert, like I did on Thursday, January 28 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, there are a couple of things you can count on. Seeing copious amounts of bandanas and tasselled leather, for one. The possibility of a riot breaking out any night. And whatever the incarnation, the near-ironclad guarantee that the band will take the stage later than anticipated.

Even knowing all this going in, I wasn?t expecting what the guesstimated 15,000 or so fans at the ACC did when it became obvious that GN?R weren?t going to start until 11:30 PM at least, something I can?t say I?ve EVER heard at a concert before.

They began booing. LOUDLY.

And I?m talking vicious, Maple Leafs-winless-in-six-games catcalls. Not even quick shots the two video screens kept displaying of women flashing their bras and thongs were enough to keep the restless crowd entertained.

Once Axl Rose and his new friends emerged through the pyrotechnics accompanying opener ?Chinese Democracy?, all seemed forgiven. It was fleeting, though, as fatigue had definitely set in. The familiar riff to ?Welcome to the Jungle? that followed kept folks awake, but it was only for one more song.

I give ?Guns N? Roses 2010? full marks for trying their darness to put on a good show despite everyone in the building going comatose all at once. They were very good, better than I thought they?d be. I KNOW I would have enjoyed them a heck of a lot more had they gone on an hour earlier!

What guitarists Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron ?Bumblefoot? Thal may be lacking in live recklessness compared to the original lineup is more than made up for in musical professionalism. (Late start time aside!)

Not only did they breathe new life into ?classics? such as ?You Could Be Mine? and even ?Sweet Child o? Mine?, each was given an opportunity to shine in the spotlight while Axl changed outfits more times than Beyonc? or C?line Dion combined!

Ashba, in particular, was on fire during his solo. (Seriously, there seemed to be some kind of smoke emitting off of him as he rocked out!)

I didn?t even mind listening to most of the songs from Chinese Democracy, although nine out of a setlist of 25 songs was a little too much for my liking. A nice touch was when Axl dedicated ?Catcher in the Rye? to the author he named the track after, J.D. Salinger, who had passed away earlier in the day at age 91.

Not to be outdone, Axl provided a serious highlight of the night (Or would that be morning?) by covering Elton John?s ?Someone Saved My Life Tonight? on piano before segueing into ?November Rain?, complete with oversized sparklers!

While certainly impressive at times, I couldn?t help saying to myself repeatedly how this just wasn?t worth staying up for. Sorry Axl; I know you probably don?t care that my kids had school the next day, or that I?d have to take a cab because the buses and subway in Toronto stop running at 1:30. Not many of us get to sleep in like you do, you know?

Mercifully, we DIDN?T get a 3 hour performance, as the band has been doing with surprising frequency since embarking on this Canadian tour a few weeks ago ? Making my way out as ?Paradise City? sent us all home into the night just before 2 AM as confetti and streamers went off was MORE than enough for this old-time rocker, thank you very much!

I was really, really hoping that I would be convinced that Axl Rose?s ?new and improved? version of GN?R deserved my support. I?ve been a fan since 1988, but I?m not someone who continuously pines for the names of yore, the ones we all know and love ? Slash?Izzy?Duff?Adler? Get over it folks; a reunion with Axl ain?t never gonna happen, and not for all the money in the world, apparently.

Maybe it?s my tiredness that?s still talking, but the payoff just wasn?t there for me. That?s not to say there isn?t potential ? Get your $#!% together, Axl, stop jerking us around, and start your shows at a decent time. You have a lot of fans who?d be willing to give you one more chance, myself included.

Setlist:
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It?s So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sorry
Better
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
Live and Let Die
If the World
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Street of Dreams
Rocket Queen
Catcher in the Rye
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child o? Mine
Axl Rose Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John)
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (The Pink Panther Theme)
You Could Be Mine
Knockin? on Heaven?s Door
Nightrain

Encore:
Shackler?s Revenge
Madagascar
This I Love
Paradise City

I'm not sure if this has been posted already - if it has, please delete it.

I just had the urge to post it because I'm still mystified at how people can still be surprised at how the band goes on stage late! This is Rock 'n' Roll! Live a little... rebel... it'll be fun...

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 01:28:52 PM »

Always good to see a unbiased "journalist" throw in remarks like:

"...Axl Rose and his new friends...

?Welcome to the Jungle? ...kept folks awake, but it was only for one more song.

They were...better than I thought they?d be.

I didn?t even mind listening to most of the songs from Chinese Democracy

While certainly impressive at times, I couldn?t help saying to myself repeatedly how this just wasn?t worth staying up for. Sorry Axl; I know you probably don?t care that my kids had school the next day, or that I?d have to take a cab because the buses and subway in Toronto stop running at 1:30. Not many of us get to sleep in like you do, you know?

Mercifully, we DIDN?T get a 3 hour performance

I was really, really hoping that I would be convinced that Axl Rose?s ?new and improved? version of GN?R deserved my support"

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »

It makes me wonder how old these people are writing the reviews.  They act completely shocked that guns came on late and write as if Slash and Duff left the band yesterday.  Slash has been gone for 14 years, Duff 13 and the rest of the guys longer than that.  There?s people in the band that have been there longer than the original members.
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »

Always good to see a unbiased "journalist" throw in remarks like:

I didn?t even mind listening to most of the songs from Chinese Democracy

That bit got me too! What did they expect? CD is the band's current album (and a fuckin' amazin' one at that!)!  Roll Eyes

My Webzine/Blog Thingy
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »

I've just got to say people, ignore these negative reviews. I was there for this show from the UK and it was one of the best shows I've seen from GN'R and now I've seen 14. I was also sitting so I could sit back and really have a look and watch carefully. As I said in the 'on tour' section, seeing axl in a wheelchair at the start of CD and spinning around was hilarious. Then all the speeches and amazing songs just made this a superb show. I remember also being blown away by YCBM, it just sounded really mean with Franks drums pounding the chorus. I heard about J.D Salinger passing away in my hotel room and new axl would probably make a reference at one point. DJ also impressed me alot, I like how he seems to want to please the fans and make sure they have a good time. I was waiting for This I Love and low and behold it came and rocked, this song really stood out again because everyone seemed to pause and just listen to this amazing song.

The only thing I would say about the show was that the crowd seemed a bit lackluster, especially some in the seating sections. Even Sebastian Bach had to stop a song at the beginning and say basically I want to see people rocking out. Axl even looked at me at one point because just as madagascar was finishing all the people around me was sitting down, so I made a point to make as much fuss as I could so I stood up and waved my arms at axl (and I'm quite tall) and I could see axl gaze up at me in my section and look at me for about 5 secs before the lights dimmed.

But the floor seemed lively and so it should, the show was outstanding and well worth the flight and 4 days in Toronto. I just needed to see this band and since there was not yet any sign of any UK dates I had to fly over and see them in Toronto. Thank you jarmo for welcoming me when I went over to you in the Loose Moose and also all the other people I met on my trip.
 Wink

Lee
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:28:42 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
bailyrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »

This is'nt a Toronto Sun review is it?
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »

Had a great time in Toronto> It was great meeting up with some of you at the Loose Moose (Jarmo, Mr. Brownstone -- both of who i met in Baltimore a few years ago and we all remembered each other, which was really fuckin'cool! -- Derby Greg, Downzy -- thanks for the Underground Garage tip! Got to drink $3 PBRs in Toronto -- a little bit of home! and others whose names elude me.) I only wish i would've gotten to the bar a little earlier -- you were all very cool. GnR fans are awesome -- the pre-show get togethers are a great idea -- can't wait for the next one! Got to the show for the last Danko Jones song and caught all of Baz's show. That guy is still a rock n' roll wildman! Good thing, too -- i don't know what else he could do! I thought he looked and sounded much better than last time around. I think he's a lot of fun to watch and he seemed pretty psyched to be playing Toronto. After he was done i walked around a bit and talked to a bunch of people sitting in my section. A lot of them hadn't seen GnR before but seemed to really love the new album, which i thought was pretty cool. There were a lot of teenagers there and they were all pretty excited about the show. That's good that they were about to see what a REAL rock star was like -- Axl is the last of a dying breed.

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »

Oops -- wasn't done yet. hit the wrong button (sitting here doing shots of Patron right now). Anyway, not too many people around me seemed to mind the wait between bands. And if there were any, all was forgiven once the lights went down. For me, that anticipation at a Guns show is part of the fun -- when are they going to go on? (In the case of Philly '02, they never did -- so i think for me and anyone else at that show it adds a little more to the wait). The band sounded fucking awesome right from the first note. When Axl rolled out and then jumped to his feet -- THAT is a fuckin' rock star right there! What charisma! And his voice sounded better than ever! It's hard to believe that his voice just keeps getting better and more powerful -- but it's true! The entire show fucking rocked but i'll just hit a few of the highlights for me -- i was really impressed with how all of the classic material sounded. The band was tight and as i mentioned, Axl sounded better than ever and had incredible energy.  Rocket Queen has always been one of my favorites, so i really loved hearing that one. ALL of the "Appetite" stuff just kicked ass! I remember the first time i saw Guns they sounded really raw, like a rock n' roll punk band, but now with this group of incredibly talented musicians i thought the songs still had that in-your-face feel, just played better and with heavier guitars. i could hear people around me commenting on how blown away they were by Axl's voice. I loved all of the jams and solos between songs. This is definitely a BAND (sorry, haters) and they were obviously having a good time up there. "November Rain" (and the intro) sounded incredible -- sorry if i keep using that word -- and i thought it was great at the end when Axl was going off on the keys and playing with his foot. Kinda reminded me of Jerry Lee Lewis (The Killer!). I thought every song from "Chinese Democracy" was incredible (there's that fuckin' word again! Maybe i should dig out my thesaurus)  It was very cool to hear "Catcher In The Rye" on the day J.D. Salinger died -- those of us at that show are the only ones who can say they heard that ok "Strret of Dreams", "This I Love", "Sorry"... every one of them -- infuckingcrebible!!! The one new song that stood out the most for me was "If tthe World". I love the song but man i thought it sounded MUCH heavier in concert. The shots n' roses at the end were a class move as well. After the show i asked some of the first time GnR concertgoers what they thought and they were ALL blown away. The guy next to me (probably around 50 and looked like a pretty low key dude-- but he was on his feet pumping his fist the whole time) said it best. I asked what he thought. He looked at me kinda stunned and wild-eyed and said "That was simply amazing! EVERY note was perfect. I can't think of one thing they could've done better!" 
I don't know if i'll make it to the inevitable European tour, but i will hit as many U.S. shows as possible (yes Derby Greg, i DO think the U.S. deserves a tour! And i expect to see you at the pre-show party!)
Again, had a great time in T.O., met some cool fuckers up there, and can't wait to meet more of you in the future.
I'm gonna do another shot in honor of the band -- and another for the HTGTH family.
ROCK ON!!! And remember -- FUCK 'EM IF THEY CAN'T TAKE A JOKE! beer

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »

Just heard TIL from this night's bootleg.

Axl's vocal level is just superlative.

Best TIL so far. DJ Ashba rocks it in the solo.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »

Just heard TIL from this night's bootleg.

Axl's vocal level is just superlative.

Best TIL so far. DJ Ashba rocks it in the solo.

Agreed - the band just keeps getting better with each performance of TIL.... and, the more I see/hear DJ, the more I admire him. A truly great guitarist and showman!

My Webzine/Blog Thingy
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:33 AM »

Link: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/01/30/guns-n-roses-defy-logic-in-toronto-128/

...and, for those of you who don't want to click the link, here's the review....

When you go to a Guns N? Roses concert, like I did on Thursday, January 28 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, there are a couple of things you can count on. Seeing copious amounts of bandanas and tasselled leather, for one. The possibility of a riot breaking out any night. And whatever the incarnation, the near-ironclad guarantee that the band will take the stage later than anticipated.

Even knowing all this going in, I wasn?t expecting what the guesstimated 15,000 or so fans at the ACC did when it became obvious that GN?R weren?t going to start until 11:30 PM at least, something I can?t say I?ve EVER heard at a concert before.

They began booing. LOUDLY.

And I?m talking vicious, Maple Leafs-winless-in-six-games catcalls. Not even quick shots the two video screens kept displaying of women flashing their bras and thongs were enough to keep the restless crowd entertained.

Once Axl Rose and his new friends emerged through the pyrotechnics accompanying opener ?Chinese Democracy?, all seemed forgiven. It was fleeting, though, as fatigue had definitely set in. The familiar riff to ?Welcome to the Jungle? that followed kept folks awake, but it was only for one more song.

I give ?Guns N? Roses 2010? full marks for trying their darness to put on a good show despite everyone in the building going comatose all at once. They were very good, better than I thought they?d be. I KNOW I would have enjoyed them a heck of a lot more had they gone on an hour earlier!

What guitarists Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron ?Bumblefoot? Thal may be lacking in live recklessness compared to the original lineup is more than made up for in musical professionalism. (Late start time aside!)

Not only did they breathe new life into ?classics? such as ?You Could Be Mine? and even ?Sweet Child o? Mine?, each was given an opportunity to shine in the spotlight while Axl changed outfits more times than Beyonc? or C?line Dion combined!

Ashba, in particular, was on fire during his solo. (Seriously, there seemed to be some kind of smoke emitting off of him as he rocked out!)

I didn?t even mind listening to most of the songs from Chinese Democracy, although nine out of a setlist of 25 songs was a little too much for my liking. A nice touch was when Axl dedicated ?Catcher in the Rye? to the author he named the track after, J.D. Salinger, who had passed away earlier in the day at age 91.

Not to be outdone, Axl provided a serious highlight of the night (Or would that be morning?) by covering Elton John?s ?Someone Saved My Life Tonight? on piano before segueing into ?November Rain?, complete with oversized sparklers!

Mercifully, we DIDN?T get a 3 hour performance, as the band has been doing with surprising frequency since embarking on this Canadian tour a few weeks ago ? Making my way out as ?Paradise City? sent us all home into the night just before 2 AM as confetti and streamers went off was MORE than enough for this old-time rocker, thank you very much!

I was really, really hoping that I would be convinced that Axl Rose?s ?new and improved? version of GN?R deserved my support. I?ve been a fan since 1988, but I?m not someone who continuously pines for the names of yore, the ones we all know and love ? Slash?Izzy?Duff?Adler? Get over it folks; a reunion with Axl ain?t never gonna happen, and not for all the money in the world, apparently.

Maybe it?s my tiredness that?s still talking, but the payoff just wasn?t there for me. That?s not to say there isn?t potential ? Get your $#!% together, Axl, stop jerking us around, and start your shows at a decent time. You have a lot of fans who?d be willing to give you one more chance, myself included.

Setlist:
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It?s So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sorry
Better
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
Live and Let Die
If the World
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Street of Dreams
Rocket Queen
Catcher in the Rye
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child o? Mine
Axl Rose Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John)
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (The Pink Panther Theme)
You Could Be Mine
Knockin? on Heaven?s Door
Nightrain

Encore:
Shackler?s Revenge
Madagascar
This I Love
Paradise City

I'm not sure if this has been posted already - if it has, please delete it.

I just had the urge to post it because I'm still mystified at how people can still be surprised at how the band goes on stage late! This is Rock 'n' Roll! Live a little... rebel... it'll be fun...
i was at madrid show in 2006.he was late 2h30min the show started 00.20 after 4 h of being stand up.And was one of the best concerts ive ever been ( the other is maiden).
Buy,iobiously you are an old band line up fan.I love both.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: