Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Running
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Running  (Read 56884 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2006, 05:56:03 PM »

800 meters = .497 miles (just about 1/2 mile)

100 meters = .062 miles.

BTW, that's awesome.  I have never run a marathon.  I think the most I've ever run at once was 8.4 miles, and that was very close to when I messed up my knee a few years back.  With the right plan, motivation, and body maintenance, you'll achieve your goal.

Have you thought about what marathon you'd like to race?  A friend of mine lives just outside of Nashville, TN.  He has done the Nashville Country Music Marathon the last 2 or 3 years.  He ran this year's in 4:51:21.  I'm proud of him.  He took off a good 25 pounds through regular exercise and a smart diet and he's in good shape now.  He has had a good time at that marathon, and from its web-site, it looks quite popular.  I don't know how far away you are from Nashville...but my buddy says he has a blast there.

BTW, in the words of MLK from Maddy, "You're not alone...you're NEVER alone!"   Smiley  I work out alone as well.  Occasionally, my wife and kids wave as I bike or run by if they're outside.   Smiley  There is a free training log at beginnertriathlete.com.  You can log your run times in and it calculates miles per hour for you and totals up your weekly, monthly, and yearly distances and average times.  It has swim and bike sections too, but you don't have to use them.  Jut an fyi.   ok

Good luck with the running.  Here in Delaware it's hot as Hades.  Tennessee must be ridiculously hot.  Be smart and run early in the am or towards dusk.  Rock on!

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »

Thanks so much for that conversion!

Now when it says to do 100 meter repeats I now know what to do!

I run inside on a treadmill mostly. Its WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too hot in Chattanooga to run outside and I worry about heat stroke etc.

Ill check out that website. Sounds cool. I keep my progress in notebooks right now but that seems to be easier.

Here is a question:

Saturday I ran that 7 miles in 1hr 5 minutes absolutely, totally pain free.

I took Sunday off, Monday I ran an easy recovery 3 mile run.

Well, about a mile and a half into it, I got stitches and my side started throbbing. I finished out the run though.

Tuesday, I did my hard 5 and a half mile interval run. 2 miles in, once again I got stitches and my side hurt *not as bad as the day before but it was uncomfortable to say the least. it only hurt for about a mile then it quit.

My question is... what causes stitches?

I always associated stitches with people who are out of shape but I ran 20 total miles last week pain free, including? those 7 miles Saturday without even the slightest twitch of pain in my side.  Monday I mean I ran slow easy miles never goin over a 10 minute mile pace.

any ideas? suggestions?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »

running is one of the things i hate the most doing in the world.. that and eating bolied potatoes.. hihi

i love most of the sports where you can score a goal or assist to a goal and stuff like that dunk, hit a home run, tackle someone you name it.. but running?.. the only purpose is to get better stamina and such things but you can't show off and be something special that people will remember.. they won't be saying "remember that night when Jon bla bla bla" because you only run.. there no purpose or at least i can't find a motivation for just running.. when i play sports i just got to make a fool of my opponent and show off thats me.. not running no way
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »

Thing is, running allows u to dominate at other sports.

Ive been running hard for almost 2 months now.

I went to an MMA Jiu Jitsu class and although i wasnt the best, I beat everyone but the teacher simply cause my CARDIO was the absolute best of anyone in the class.

When the one hour class of continuous fighting was over, everyone was lying on the ground and I wasnt even breathing hard or the least bit tired.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »

Thing is, running allows u to dominate at other sports.

Ive been running hard for almost 2 months now.

I went to an MMA Jiu Jitsu class and although i wasnt the best, I beat everyone but the teacher simply cause my CARDIO was the absolute best of anyone in the class.

When the one hour class of continuous fighting was over, everyone was lying on the ground and I wasnt even breathing hard or the least bit tired.

Cheapdonjay, D hit the nail on the head there.  Your body is an aerobic engine.  Runners can just go forever in whatever sport they choose.

Now about D's sidestitches, aka cramps, nobody knows where they come from.  There are alot of theories out there ranging from hydration levels to muscle tightness to electrolyte levels to gas in your colon!  My experience has shown me to just run through it.  It usually goes away for me after a few miles if not sooner.  It's nothing serious. 

Again, my only concern with you D is making sure you're not running too hard!  Give yourself some easy runs in between your hard runs.   ok

BTW, I looove boiled potatoes!  Great shit on a special occasion with asparagus and steak!!
 drool   

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2006, 10:19:07 PM »

Thanks dude. I ate some gassy food a few hours before I ran so Im thinkin it was that.

Here is what I did last week:

Monday off
Tuesday 5 miles interval 1/4 mile runs. 10 minute mile,9 minute mile,8 minute mile,7:30 minute mile paces then repeat
wednesday 3 easy miles
Thursday Fartlek  15 minutes at 9 minute mile then 1 minute at 7 minute mile then back to 1 minute at 9 minutes. 2 minute mile at 7:30, then back to 2 minutes at 9 minute mile. 3 minutes at 8 minute mile back to 3 minutes on the 9 minute mile. 2 minutes at 7 minute mile back to 2 on the 9 minute mile, finally 1 mile at a 6 minute pace then back to the 9 for one more minute.

total distance: 4 miles.

Friday OFF

Saturday 7 miles in 1:05 minutes

Total mileage for the week:19 miles.

So far this week Ive already knocked out 12 miles. Im taking today off, im gonna run easy tomorrow and then knock out a 7 to 8 miler Saturday.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2006, 08:20:10 AM »

Cheapdonjay, D hit the nail on the head there.? Your body is an aerobic engine.? Runners can just go forever in whatever sport they choose.

BTW, I looove boiled potatoes!? Great shit on a special occasion with asparagus and steak!!
 drool? ?

yeah i know they can go on forever.. but they can't show off if all they do is running all the time.. you gotta have more skills then just good stamina...

really potatoes? woah.. i can't eat it man.. do you really like the taste of it?
 hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »

True but Im a basketball player at heart and all my friends accuse me of being on speed or something everytime we play cause I am absolutely all over the court hustling doin everything without ever getting tired.

After we play ball for a few hours Ill then go run a couple miles and they are convinced Im on some kind of drug. hihi hihi

CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »

True but Im a basketball player at heart and all my friends accuse me of being on speed or something everytime we play cause I am absolutely all over the court hustling doin everything without ever getting tired.

After we play ball for a few hours Ill then go run a couple miles and they are convinced Im on some kind of drug. hihi hihi

haha i play basketball too  ok but only for fun with my friends not in a team and the thing is not to brag, but i'm the best damn basketball player in school, okey only 450 students but still (prollu 'cause noone in school practises basketball not the biggest sport here in sweden) but i used to play every day at home but not so much anymore, still god though hihi.. and what my friends.. they are sayig like "when jon gets the ball you can just stop running 'cause there aint nuthin gonna stop him" and they can't understand how i can play basketball runnin' hustlin' doing crossovers and dunking you name it without getting tired, me neither 'cause i never run and therefore should have bad stamina .. i can play for hours and not getting tired at least not as tired as my friends gets and they have great stamina like are wrestlers and soccer players and boxers.. i think that's because i like play on adrenaline or maybe just that there's a motivation in it to shoot and get that 3 pointer or something.. when i only run i get bored whitin 5minutes and stop running.. it's so borng and i hate it.. i have bad stamina but can play basketball for hours Huh wierd but that's the way it is

sorry if this post are a bit messed up and if there are sentences that are hard to read but i'm kinda tired right now hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2006, 04:59:38 PM »

U are a young guy though right?

When u get in your mid to late 20's, early 30's, running helps.

U will see when u get older that u gotta work harder to keep those energy levels up.

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »

U will see when u get older that u gotta work harder to keep those energy levels up.

I'm so screwed then.

I ran a mile for the first time in months yesterday,and Damn should have done it on the tread mile instead of out side.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2006, 05:16:47 PM »

yup young guy here.. i'm 16 Grin  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2006, 05:32:47 PM »

yup young guy here.. i'm 16 Grin? hihi

LOL NO wonder then!!!

Im actually in 100 times better shape now then I was when i was 16.

when i was 16 i couldnt even run one mile.

Timothy, Id stay inside.

Way too hot to run outside.

I have a method to breaking up the monotony of running.

On a treadmill I change speeds every quarter of a mile.

On fast days Ill go

9 minute mile, 8 minute mile, 7:30 minute mile, 7 minute mile.

and ill just go through and repeat.

The time u finish the 7 u already knock out one mile.

Runners in not great shape shouldnt try that but u get the idea.

on an easy slow day ill do 12 minute, 11 minute 10 minute, 9:30 minute miles.

It keeps u from getting bored so easily.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2006, 09:11:08 PM »

Cheapdonjay, D hit the nail on the head there.? Your body is an aerobic engine.? Runners can just go forever in whatever sport they choose.

BTW, I looove boiled potatoes!? Great shit on a special occasion with asparagus and steak!!
 drool? ?

really potatoes? woah.. i can't eat it man.. do you really like the taste of it?
 hihi

Yup, boiled potatoes with the skins on.  I don't put much butter on them either.  Plenty of black pepper but no salt and I'm good to go!

On the running note.  I've got a 5K coming up on the 19th.  This dude I work with is determined to beat me.  He's very athletic (he's done an official Iron-Man, 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run, in 12 hours and change).  The only thing is running isn't his best event.  But, he's training like mad.  He's pissed that my last 5K was faster than his fastest time ever in a 5K by a whole 61 seconds.  I'm not gonna be drawn in by gamesmanship.  I've got my goal of breaking 20.  I told him that, but he's dead-set on beating me.  Oh well, to each his own.   Smiley  Wish me luck.  peace

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2006, 09:16:20 PM »

Good Luck dude!! U should haVe him beat.

Making up 61 seconds is a lot.

it doesnt sound like much but 61 seconds in running is an eternity.

Ive had to miss the last two days of running thanks to a tight/sore left calf muscle.

Im not taking any chances.

I've got my long 7 mile run tomorrow.. hopefully it will be better when I wake up.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »

So D, did you get the 7-miler in? 

I ran Friday and today, Sunday.  3 laps of 1.45 miles each time with the first 2 "slow," at about an 8:21 and 8:19 minute/mile pace, then a "fast" 1.45 mile lap.
Total distance each time equals 4.35 miles.  The first 2 laps each time were only different by 5 seconds from Friday to Sunday.  However, the "fast" finishing lap went from 9:55 to 9:36. 

My goal is to break 20 minutes over 3.11 miles.  I think I can do it.  After running these 8:20's for 2.9 miles, and then doing 1.45 miles in 6:51 and 6:38, I think I can do it.  I'll train up to 2 or 3 days before the race.  I need to average 6:26 per mile.  I think it can be done.
p.s. finished Praying for Sleep, awesome awesome, awesome!  Totally cool ending.  ok

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2006, 12:49:14 AM »

How far exactly is 5k is it 3.2miles?

Im asking u this, cause here in Chattanooga, i picked up an application for a 5k run Which begins September 23rd.

I just dont want to finish last.

thing is I weigh 206 pounds now but still, most other runners are gonna weight 50 to 60 pounds less than me if not more.

So I know Im gonna get smoked bad, but Im gonna set goals like u suggested and do my best to reach them.

I ran 8 miles yesterday in 72:24, I did the 7 mile in 63:13 which was 1:45 faster than I did it last week.

I ran 20 miles last week!

Bad News:

I got a severe calf injury, I tell u it is hard to walk to the bathroom and back, so im probably gonna be sidelined for at least 3 days which sucks!

So this week, Im gonna take it easy, try to run easy everyday at a leisurely pace to make sure I heal before injuring myself severely.

We will talk about Praying For Sleep in the book thread, cant wait to discuss it with u.

U should break 20 minutes and I am rooting for u.

U give me inspiration and motivation just from our chats on here.

Keep training like u just described, and u should blow 20 minutes out of the water!

Oh yeah one last thing that may qualify in the "Too Much Info" range.

My right nipple bled yesterday... which hurt like hell!

U ever chaffed your nipple so bad running that it bled...

that was not a good experience!

anyhow, keep it up man.

6:26 a mile sounds brutal but the good thing about running that fast is...... The Race is over quicker! hihi

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2006, 06:38:02 PM »

Ouch!  Chaffed nipples.  crying  I've never had that happen to me personally, but I do know folks who've had it happen to them.  It may sound silly, but the solution is to put a Band-Aid over the nipples or apply Vaseline over your nipples before the run.  If you think that's bad, wait until you are running outside in the winter and your "you know what" retracts!  Very uncomfortable.  Embarrassed  btw, never too much info.  peace

I was afraid you'd strain something!  Your ever-improving times smack of running pretty damn hard!  It's that Floyd Landis 11:1 ratio testosterone!  (all-natural, yeah right  hihi)
Ease up a bit.  Patience...patience.

The 5K is 3.11 miles.  Don't worry about the 206 pounds.  In fact, some races have special categories for heavier racers.  Around here I think the runners over 200 pounds are called Clydesdales.  The women over 150 pounds are deemed Phillys or Athenas.  (chicks love that...not!  hihi)  Everyone starts at the same time, but when you finish, they'll rank you in your age division and/or Clydesdale category if they have that at the race.  On that topic a buddy of mine is doing a sprint triathlon with me in October (our 1st triathlon...I did that biathlon and had a blast) and he is 6'5" and 262 pounds.  He will be a big Clydesdale, but from what my IronMan co-worker says, the crowd gives these guys extra encouragement during the race, because they realize how much tougher it is for them.  Cool stuff.  Look around for these races with the heavier person category, because your times could place in the top 3.  Even if they don't, you'll still help out a good cause.  Alot of 5K's benefit charities.  Just an fyi.  Oh, also, btw, last November when me and my buddies were tossing around the idea of doing this sprint tri in October '06, I was at 192 and I was debating gaining the 8 pounds to be a Clydesdale, or losing 15 pounds to be competitive in the regular category.  At 6'3" I decided to trim up and I'm now 181.  I'd like to be just under 180 for the races.

No running today.  Sore throat and a little congestion.  Rest time needed.  yes

D needs some rest time and gentle stretching...then ease back into the running.  Good luck!   beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2006, 12:04:34 AM »

I ran yesterday, an easy 3 miles pain free.

I went to run tonight but forgotmy socks!!!!!!!!! So I just swam instead.

Its good though cause my calf is feeling great now.

Im gonna take it slow and maybe only increase my weekly mileage by 1 mile a week. I went from 12 to 15 to 20 an dthat was overdoing it.

Hope u are feeling better, U have really helped educate me on this and thats awesome. I was just doing it trial and error like and paying the price for it.

But now I have a better understanding.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2006, 06:45:15 PM »

^^^
But now I have a better understanding

"...now I know better, better."

Cool.  I've got my race in 8 days.  I'm going out tonight for a slow run...hopefully 5.8 miles, we'll see.   beer

Comraderie helps.  Keep up the good work!   Cool
I'm getting closer to signing up for the Half-Ironman race in 2007.  I won't say it's a definite yet...but when I do, it'll be 1000% focus!  Will I be ready for an Ironman in '08?  We shall see.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: