Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:51:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 170973 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 07:11:50 AM »

do u know what spot u are drafting? or is it random? In my keeper we do it by record.

Def nothing wrong with keeping Cabrera, i just think once u throw in Hanley's stolen base potential, runs, he is more of an overall threat.

He and Cabrera will be similar on Avg, Cabrera will hit more HR's more RBI's prob higher OPS, Hanley will get u prob more hits,runs,stolen bases, his on base will be good.

how many stats do u guys play?  in my league, i have 26 stats.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »

do u know what spot u are drafting? or is it random? In my keeper we do it by record.

Def nothing wrong with keeping Cabrera, i just think once u throw in Hanley's stolen base potential, runs, he is more of an overall threat.

He and Cabrera will be similar on Avg, Cabrera will hit more HR's more RBI's prob higher OPS, Hanley will get u prob more hits,runs,stolen bases, his on base will be good.

how many stats do u guys play?  in my league, i have 26 stats.
I won the league playoffs last year so I think I have the last pick in the first round.  At least I think that's the way we have it set up.  There are 14 categories in our league.  R, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, OPS, Avg., on offense.  I think we're adding an extra pitcher to our list of keepers this season.  My other keepers are Nelson Cruz, Jake Peavy, Adam Wainwright, and probably Heath Bell.  Or Edison Volquez?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »

Why dont u keep Cabrera and Hanley?

Jake Peavy?? is a keeper?

Hanley is gonna give u the Runs,Stolen base and triples over Cabrera and be close enough in the other stats imo.  *did i just say Hanley is gonna give u the runs?* hahahaha talk about unintentional humor*

I like Nelson Cruz in your format also but would still be tempted to let him go. so many great Outfielders, surely Cruz would have a better chance slipping to u with last pick in first rd than either Cabrera or Hanley.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:44:43 AM by D » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »

The way keepers work in our league is we can keep 1 franchise position player and pitcher (guys drafted in the first 5 rounds).  So I can only keep Hanley OR Cabrera.  Believe it or not Peavy is my franchise pitcher, Wainwright and Cruz are non-franchised.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »

interesting

In your format with the triples,stolen bases,runs, i still like Hanley

u figure their averages will be similar, Cabrera will hit more HR's and RBI's but i look at it like this:

If u keep Cabrera, what shortstop can u get and combine their numbers

take Hanley and a first basemen u could get and combine theirs. I still think Hanley is the best option cause SS is way more shallow than first base.

If u could grab Adrian Gonzalez end of first rd.. u'd be set.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 12:34:28 AM »

interesting

In your format with the triples,stolen bases,runs, i still like Hanley

u figure their averages will be similar, Cabrera will hit more HR's and RBI's but i look at it like this:

If u keep Cabrera, what shortstop can u get and combine their numbers

take Hanley and a first basemen u could get and combine theirs. I still think Hanley is the best option cause SS is way more shallow than first base.

If u could grab Adrian Gonzalez end of first rd.. u'd be set.
Yeah, there's still time for people to declare their keepers.  I took a quick glance yesterday and the only other SS that was a keeper was Jimmy Rollins.  Not sure he'll keep that status after a lackluster season last year.  I didn't see Tulowitzki's name but I'd have to assume he'd be a keeper.  There were 3 or 4 1B that I noticed, but we'll see what the final list brings.  And I do have the 12th pick (last).

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »

Do u snake though? So u will have 12th and 13th pick?

my keeper NFL league sucks cause first 3 rounds dont snake. snake only begins round 4 and I have next to last... so i gotta pull some minor miracles out.

u know dude, i did some research on Baseball reference and I am now leaning towards Cabrera.

Hanley's last couple seasons haven't been that amazing.

only thing Hanley has is SB's he doesn't hit that many triples either.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »

Yeah it's a snake draft right from the start. 

That's the thing with the Hanley/Cabrera comparison.  Hanley has been trending downward the last couple of seasons and last year looked uniterested at times, getting into fights with management and such.  Whereas Cabrera finally put it all together last year, stopped drinking and beating women, and had a monster year.

Obviously both put up great numbers regardless because they're extremely talented.  But it seems like Miguel finally gets it, and Hanley isn't quite there yet. 

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »

speaking of Fantasy, I got bout 2 spots open. My league has 26 statistical categories. this is the 4th season of a very competitive league.

League ID: 37831
PW: axlrose

yahoo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »

I think Miguel made my decision for me today with his recent indiscretions.  So much for turning his life around.  I heard a rumor he could be suspended, but even if he's not I'll let someone else deal with him.  I don't even know if I'd draft him if he fell to me now.  I'm just glad this happened now before I had to declare my keepers.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »

Sorry to clog this thread up with fantasy stuff, but it's related.  Anyone can feel free to chime in.  Thank you D for your thoughts.

I've been looking over my pitching situation and according to the lists I've seen, Jake Peavy is below 4 or 5 other pitchers I have on my roster from last year.  What's the deal with him?  Is his injury that bad?  I mean, I know he had a rough year last year, but he seemed to turn things around before he was shelved for the season.  Other pitchers on my roster are, Edison Volquez, Ryan Dempster, Brian Matusz, and Wade Davis.  Dempster is solid but not spectacular.  I think Peavy has more potential than him.  The other 3 guys are young so their ceilings are a little higher. 

Matusz had a real strong finish to the season (the reason I picked him up for the stretch run).  He was 4-1, 2.43 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 26 K's in 37 IP in August.  2-0, 1.89, 1.05, 17 K's in 19 IP in September.  And he won his lone October start going 6 innings, striking out 9, while giving up 1 run, 2 hits, and 2 walks.   

Coming off of an injury and only pitching the last 3 months of the season, Edison Volquez had a strong September going 1-1 in 4 starts with a 1.95 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and 31 K's in 27.2 IP.

Wade Davis went 6-1 with a 3.28 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 51 K's in 74 IP in the second half of last season.

Maybe Matusz is worth a shot?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »

keeper league, id go youth especially if its close. Peavy has def fell on hard times.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »

I'm just now coming out of my Wainwright injury news induced coma suffered this morning... Angry

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »

I'm just now coming out of my Wainwright injury news induced coma suffered this morning... Angry

Tell me about it, he was my one legit keeper for a pitcher.  A perennial Cy Young candidate.  Not good for either of us.  Now I HAVE to choose 2 out of Peavy, Dempster, Volquez, Matusz, and W. Davis.  At least it happened in the pre season though, at least for me.  Not sure that helps the Cardinals at all.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »

Was nice to see some "live" MLB (-ish) baseball this weekend.  2 days, 2 Yanks Spring Training games....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »

I can't see them unfortunately. MLB now blacks out out of market spring training games. So eventhough i have YES i still can't see. Like seriously wtf? Its spring training! Greedy bastards. Last year i was able to see them.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

Hope i didnt fuck up. just started a money/keeper league and i took Carlos Gonzalez of Colorado over Miguel Cabrera,Votto and Lincecum.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »

Hope i didnt fuck up. just started a money/keeper league and i took Carlos Gonzalez of Colorado over Miguel Cabrera,Votto and Lincecum.

Tough choice between Gonzalez and Lincecum.  But I always prefer offense over pitching, so I could live with it.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »

Hard not to pick a stud like Lincecum.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »

Well, we are doing one of those CBS points leagues. The Admin of the league lowered some pitching stats so Heath Bell doesnt outscore pujols, so with those stats lower, i figured an everyday guy who puts up numbers a cross the board is more valuable than pitching right now.

Every fantasty league, those Matt Latos type guys pop up and u can get great pitching on the cheap.

Through 2 rounds I have Carlos Gonzalez and Jason Heyward of Atlanta.

3rd pick I am choosing between Ryan Howard *YES* still available which is interesting someone tell me why, Kevin Youklis or Dustin Pedroia

Thinking I gotta go with Howard. That would give me an amazing 3 bats in my lineup. go with a pitcher rd 4.

Nevermind. I took Tommy Hanson.

So youth is on my team's side: Carlos Gonzalez,Jason Heyward,Tommy Hanson. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:15:48 PM by D » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: